• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

There's no paradox there. This statement doesn't contradict itself, because a score of 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect. It means the game is so good that its flaws are basically meaningless compared to the things it does well.

The only post I saw in the review thread for TLOU Remastered was "Bullshit this game isn't 10/10 bc it's not perfect. All these 10/10s are stupid. Its obviously not perfect or a remaster wouldnt be needed in the first place"

paraphrasing but yea... I dipped.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Sooooo next gen it ripsoff the Wii hahahaha. Actually No More Heroes really made great use of the Wii Remote speaker.

After reading the impressions from you folks about Transistor it sounds like a game everyone should be encouraging others to play it on what ever platform they have available to them (well if the game is to their tastes of course). Sounds like it's a great experience from start to finish and has a ton of replayability.

the only thing stopping me from digging in at this point is that I haven't really finished Bastion yet

*hangs head in shame*

Since I won Divinity, it's time for another give away!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (phoenix296, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Divinity: Original Sin -- MB-3B737D1FA5FF73C7 - Taken by Volimar. 100 entrants total.

t1406591634z1.png

chronomac

I'm tempted to enter these edutainment giveaways, just because I'm at 498 games and want to hit 500. I'm going to resist for now.

On a completely unrelated note, what are everyone's favorite games of 2014 so far, now that we're 7 months in? Mine would be Shovel Knight, which I'm playing on Wii U, and Broken Age, which I started on Steam and finished on a friend's iPad, weirdly enough.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm tempted to enter these edutainment giveaways, just because I'm at 498 games and want to hit 500. I'm going to resist for now.

On a completely unrelated note, what are everyone's favorite games of 2014 so far, now that we're 7 months in? Mine would be Shovel Knight, which I'm playing on Wii U, and Broken Age, which I started on Steam and finished on a friend's iPad, weirdly enough.

Probably South Park (it's fan service at its finest and also happens to play rather nicely), but I haven't finished the game and unless that changes I won't be voting for it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
omg link pls

If I can come up with something that works reliably, I'll probably post it up online so that those interested can use it. At the moment though, to save time, I'm scripting it so that it basically just launches SAM using the command line to enter a game's app id, killing the process when all the cards are idled, then starting the next game.

Hugstable

Banned
The only post I saw in the review thread for TLOU Remastered was "Bullshit this game isn't 10/10 bc it's not perfect. All these 10/10s are stupid. Its obviously not perfect or a remaster wouldnt be needed in the first place"

Both sides are basically doing it. I've seen the post you are parapharasing (you are actually kinda close to the actual post lol). But even others are all trying to jump on any 8/10 review as being bad, with one guy earlier having referred to Gamespot as being retarded just because they gave the game an 8.

This is why I'm starting to like PC gaming and Steam threads much more recently.

For me the best games that I've played so far have been Valiant Hearts, Kirby Triple Deluxe, and Shovel Knight.

Lomax

It's disappointing that interest and involvement seems to have devolved worldwide into little more than anger and fanaticism. It's hardly exclusive to video games, you see it in sports, politics, television, you name it, there has to be some sort of competition when it comes to demonstrating your interest in things. The sad thing is, so much of it isn't even real, it's just the easiest way to show your interest/disinterest is to take an extreme view.

Anteater

That's exactly what it is. Everyone does this about everything to their own degrees. But something about console wars (and politics...) just takes it to another level.

Yeah you see it with everything, I don't really like talking about only console fanaticism due to it being a steam thread and I don't like people getting an impression that people here are "console haters" or having a strong bias, so take PC for example, you still see a lot of obnoxious "pc master race" garbage sometimes everywhere else so it's not really a console only thing, if you're willing to look outside of gaf, heck the steam community is a terrible place and I'm sure they are probably in there somewhere.

I'm just glad that most of that garbage are usually filtered out of gaf, but you'll still run into that "this will melt the ps4 lol" guy every now and then.

This is the Steam thread. You really expect to find people who play games the year in which they're released?

rtcn63

This is why I'm starting to like PC gaming and Steam threads much more recently.

I may be in the minority, but I've purposely refrained from posting more controversial opinions/viewpoints because I've been outright called a liar here, among other things. Of course, my opinion has never mattered, so it's not much of a loss.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bioshock -- MB-34376499045E5E56 - Taken by Valru

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Bioshock was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Dr Dogg

the only thing stopping me from digging in at this point is that I haven't really finished Bastion yet

*hangs head in shame*

Hey I got to about halfway in Bastion and then stopped play because of reasons and still really, really like it so I'm the one who should feel bad. I'm a neglectful Steam horder it seems.

If I can come up with something that works reliably, I'll probably post it up online so that those interested can use it. At the moment though, to save time, I'm scripting it so that it basically just launches SAM using the command line to enter a game's app id, killing the process when all the cards are idled, then starting the next game.

jshaclkes - The Wolf of Steam Street.

The way i see it, those that loved TLOU are going to come out hard in its defense and those that disliked it are going to do the same. Unlike most reviews, a lot of people have had a chance to experience TLOU and let it digest.

Sites should just be running their old reviews with an update to note the technical differences. But that shit doesn't get as many clicks, so here we are, both sides shouting and nonsense everywhere.

Grief.exe

No particular order
Transistor
Banished
Dark Souls II

Haven't played yet, but will probably make my top ten
Divinity: OS
Shovel Knight

Games to look forward to
Lords of the Fallen
Wasteland 2
Phoenix Wright Trilogy

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

According to this person, no game could ever be rated with a 10 then, because when they inevitably age a remaster would probably be needed. Even those with a fantastic art style will succumb to ever increasing resolutions and screen sizes, so things that aren't noticeable now will become annoying later on. But yeah, 10 is not perfect. 10 is "so good I can overlook all (or most) of its flaws and completely recommend it to any fans of the genre".

MRORANGE

This thread moves fast, anything interesting happen today?

I found out that fight-sticks are amazing:

So I picked up the Hori Mini 3 and giving my feedback on how well it works with Steam.

So the main reason why I bought it was just to use it with arcade games on steam as well as fighting games, this was my first stick and chose this mainly for the size and the fact it was compatible with the PS3 so I could end up switching between the two at will. Being super small made it great for something that can be kept on the desk and tucked away easily. I managed to find a new one for $15/£11 so it was a pretty good bargain.

The stick feels great, bear in mind though the stick is not a standard size arcade stick being a lot smaller; to give you an idea: the surface base is slightly larger than a ipad mini. The joystick feels great and really well made, the buttons felt okay – not as click as you would expect, for comparison sake each button is the size of a British pound. In terms of executing moves it felt perfectly fine and it didn't feel cramped at all, I have medium sized hands bear in mind. Length of the cable is a big plus – it’s really long, PS3 support is top notch.

On support for games on PC it really was a mixed bag, I won’t lie I am slightly disappointed that SteamOS can’t support the stick without some 3rd party software. Fighting games on the hand worked perfectly, other games vary quite a lot in terms of support. But you can use a 3rd party tool to map your controls which will solve all of your problems. Playing games on this is an absolute blast, platformers are just amazingly good, feels a lot more responsive than gamepad I've used.

Games that worked amazingly well

- Any Street Fighter game
- Mortal Kobmat
- Blazblue Calamity Trigger
- KOFXII (Haven’t tested but should be fine from forums)
- Castle Crashers
- Rayman Origins

Games that just didn’t work (without custom mapping tools)

- Steam BPM
- Megadrive Games on Steam
- Sonic Generations
- Fly’n

Overall for the price and what you get it’s a fantastic little stick for anyone wanting to start off, downsides is the game support that can be fixed with software/drivers. However I’m completely in love with playing games that support it really well, games such as Rayman and Castle Crashers just work and it would be impossible for me to go back to my 360 pad, seriously if you can find one cheap I would highly consider that you should pick one up.

Also it's super cute <3

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
pahamrick won Yaiba.

Edit: This was supposed to be an edit to my previous post, in response to Tizoc's question.

Edit edit: Oh, he (pah) said as much himself. Duh.

pahamrick

Heh cool that you actually won a character action game and you got a character action game avatar! (wait your avatar is from Metal Gear Rising right?) Congrats dude!

Yep! Raiden from Rising. Hearing good things about Yaiba from Frost, so looking forward to playing soon as the download finishes.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
that looks just like something I've been looking for forever mr. orange

please be available below stupid toll-limit in europe (Norway)

SpeedRunners is my current favorite.

Strider

Oh man. There's no one game that really stands out so far for me. My favorites to this point though:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Infamous: Second Son
Hearthstone
Reaper of Souls

Oddly enough none of these games are on steam, but I've spent more time playing games on steam than any other platform/Client that's for sure.

Kanokare

Is this the video with Kuma's SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKA while going through the smoke and getting a headshot? I heard about it but missed that moment since I walked away from the stream for a bit.

Not sure if this was it since no smoke or headshot. Going through more in case there was another instance lol.
http://www.twitch.tv/kanokare/c/4767328

I have to wonder if that guy was putting on that voice or it's just naturally that way. Anyways he was amazing.

For all the times I've played with Hank Hill he's always had the voice.

Is it really as small as it looks?

I kinda want one...

Yup.
I own that same stick. It's like comedy-small. Still functional and quite decent though.
Mostly I use a Hori EX-SE on the PC since it has the X360 drivers. It's about as big as 6-8 of the mini-horis.

Tellaerin

nah, olivia wilde guy (i can't remember your name but read the above pls forgive me i know you're really nice) is super old :>

Aw, thanks, man. : ) Hope you shake that headache soon. I'm an occasional migraine sufferer, so I can sympathize. : /

Olivia's taking a break for a bit, though. I figured I was due for a change. I ended up settling on Stahma Tarr from Defiance (Jaime Murray), everyone's favorite scheming Castithan. (Okay, maybe just my favorite scheming Castithan. But yeah, she's awesome.)

yea sadly omikron's really hard to find i think

like they got me at david bowie

Omikron's one of those older games I really enjoyed, but never got to finish. : / I got a new PC while I was playing it, and the game didn't want to play nice with "newer operating systems" at the time ("newer" in this case meaning WinXP. >.> ) Now that it's on Steam, I'll have to wishlist it.

Omikron deserves a remake. The core concept was really ambitious at the time (being able to jump from body to body, with the inhabitants of the world having different stats and levels of combat skill), but having been released back in 1999, the game never really got to realize the potential of that premise. I'd love to see what could be done with the idea now - the futuristic city of Omikron brought to life with a GTA/Saints Row level of detail, the FPS and hand-to-hand combat bits integrated seamlessly with the rest of the game, character-specific skills that could be leveraged to solve puzzles (Need to pick a lock? Find a thief to possess! Searching for data hidden in a government mainframe? Take over a hacker!)... so much could be done with the basic idea now.

Hugstable

Banned
Not sure if this was it since no smoke or headshot. Going through more in case there was another instance lol.
http://www.twitch.tv/kanokare/c/4767328

For all the times I've played with Hank Hill he's always had the voice.

LOL that's still pretty funny. And his Hank Hill voice is perfect!

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed $4.99 @ Gamestop.com

Sweet, I might actually jump on that later if people around here play, but I already own it on Wii U and got Mario Kart as well haha. Is it a daily sale or is it supposed to be for the whole week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom