• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Sometimes the Banner Saga feels like it's trying too hard with some of these choices but sometimes I legitimately grin.

jCiB8JIl.jpg

Anyways, I'm about half way through I think and I am liking it a lot when it comes to the primary battle gameplay and character progression (stats) but I'm not feeling much of the tertiary dialogue/lore/characters themselves/morale/supplies stuff.

Might be awhile before I finish through with new Guild Wars 2 stuff and Trails out tomorrow.

Does anyone know if websites that sell Steam Keys are reliable? I'm looking for the best deal for XCOM (I would prefer Steam), and I came across a website that listed all of the best deals for the game. Currently Steam and Amazon are selling it for $30, but there are sites such as OnlineKeyStore and OnePlay selling Steam Keys for as low as $7...

I really want to get the game but I'd rather not give my credit card out to a shady site, on the other hand I don't want to feel like an idiot because I could have saved $20. Help GAF!

Either wait for a seasonal sale or try contacting Russian GAFfers for Paypal trades.

Is there such a thing as a hot shit icon for ModBot games? Because from what I hear (and it doesn't surprise me), Yaiba deserves its own custom icon.

You heard WRONG, most likely. Yaiba isn't a masterpiece, but the reviewers had their heads up their ass when it came to fairly judging the game.

those are some fucking high quality gifs, did you make them yourself frost?

Yeah, I took gifcam clips at 33fps from the 60fps 640w webms I have around from the game.

WB (publishing side) blows as they're likely the ones who dictate what WB Games Montreal (Arkham Origins' developer) works on.

True, But that game came out in October and it was still buggy in February when they said they wouldn't fix it. 4 months past release is more than enough time to fix the majority of bugs. I got that game for free, and I still regret playing it.

Hugstable

Banned
Stahp! Your really hyping me on this game, and the internet told me it was bad. Thanks for the chance though. I want to see if the internet was wrong.

He already sold me on it earlier with these .gifs come next sale. Hayabusa whooping ass haha. Please tell me you actually get to fight him as Cyborg Ninja ha.

Stahp! Your really hyping me on this game, and the internet told me it was bad. Thanks for the chance though. I want to see if the internet was wrong.

The internet is stupid. :3
If you want a good example of the actual gameplay to see if you'd like it, check out this webm. It hits a lot of the core mechanics in one fight. I'm playing on Hell difficulty, which pretty much means 1 hit is death.

Webm:
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/jg8k3bmckcnaicu/Yaiba.Pubcrawl.webm
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jg8k3bmckcnaicu/Yaiba.Pubcrawl.webm

Hmm, do you just prefer to have them in the gif format instead of just using the webms themselves?

Can't embed the webm on GAF -- people have to click it, at least in desktop. I know the mobile site will embed YT clips, but I'm not sure that webms qualify there either.

So since I wanted to style up my 3 yaiba giveaways, I made 6 or so custom gifs from webms I had laying around. Normally, I just post my archive twitch footage or a webm, depending on how I decided to record whatever the footage was.

He already sold me on it earlier with these .gifs come next sale. Hayabusa whooping ass haha. Please tell me you actually get to fight him as Cyborg Ninja ha.

Yes, there's an entire chapter dedicated to fighting Ryu.
If you watched the last webm I put up (where I advised downloading it because mediafire was desync'ing the sound), that's the 1st half of chapter 5.

MTE

True, But that game came out in October and it was still buggy in February when they said they wouldn't fix it. 4 months past release is more than enough time to fix the majority of bugs. I got that game for free, and I still regret playing it.

Wow...
Glad I've had a bug-free run with it. (Apart from slow cutscenes, which was easily fixed)
Really enjoying it, too.

Corpekata

Banned

And they did fix the majority of bugs. Just because they stopped it by that point doesn't mean they did jack shit in the mean time. Still clearly has issues but isn't near the mess it was at launch.

B-b-b-but Spark Unlimited :(

I still wish the good Ninja Gaiden games were on Steam.

What about them? It's not like they're Double Helix. :p
They made LP3, which got some pretty decent reviews and then they made Yaiba -- it was also supervised by Team Ninja and Keiji Inafune (Comcept).

since Huggy, Frosty, RionaaM and Deitus wanted me to post this - here you go :) hehehe

ss3_glitch.gif

This was a trip... take 5 minute break because of Huggy, use it to start prepping third/final Yaiba giveaway, come back to ... THIS ...

Yeah, it's no surprise that was the last level for the night. :3

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They made LP3, which got some pretty decent reviews and then they made Yaiba -- it was also supervised by Team Ninja and Keiji Inafune (Comcept).

This was a trip... take 5 minute break because of Huggy, use it to start prepping third/final Yaiba giveaway, come back to ... THIS ...

Yeah, it's no surprise that was the last level for the night. :3

but Double Helix made Strider Frosty

fuck, wheres Man Puncher's avatar when I need it :(

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I mean sure they made new Strider, and Double Helix made the worst Silent Hill game, and bad movie licensed games, but they made the new Killer Instinct. That's supposed to be pretty decent.

Exactly.

I think BinaryPork knows what's up:
I mean sure they made new Strider, and Double Helix made the worst Silent Hill game, and bad movie licensed games, but they made the new Killer Instinct. That's supposed to be pretty decent.

The only decent game they ever made (supposedly), is one I most likely will never be able to play. So for me, that game doesn't exist. :p

jblank83

Anyways, I'm about half way through I think and I am liking it a lot when it comes to the primary battle gameplay and character progression (stats) but I'm not feeling much of the tertiary dialogue/lore/characters themselves/morale/supplies stuff.

The primary battle mechanics are ok, although map variety is almost non-existent. Not having variable height on tiles is what really holds it back. Character progression is ok, although when someone randomly leaves it can really screw you over, if you've invested a lot of work in them (at the expense of others [which you have to do, as there are too many characters to level all of them]).

The game fails in that its resource management, based on a singular resource used for food, leveling, and equipment purchases, is poorly balanced. I won't spoil anything, but the game does a poor job of things midway to end. Ostensibly this is due to difficult events in the game, but the way the game teaches you to spend resources sets you up for failure later on, potentially handicapping character development.

This poor balance is seen in other parts of the game, in several scenarios, characters, and so on.

Might be awhile before I finish through with new Guild Wars 2 stuff and Trails out tomorrow.

It's not that long. I finished it in 9 hours.

I liked Banner Saga enough to recommend it to people who like such games, but would have a difficult time recommending it to anyone else, and I would not say it's great. Maybe the company's next attempt will fix some of the issues.

Finished Arkham City a couple days ago and decided to jump in to Arkham Origins. It's just a touch buggy:

I'm supposed to be holding Killer Croc's head. When he started disappearing, the audio completely died. It started up again after the next cutscene. I can say that I like the HUD better, though. So there's that.

Don't go into the "My Alibi" club, especially the back room. I'm forever stuck in a giant black hole and my game is permanently stuffed. I had finished the main story at least.

There used to be a hack that allowed you to rebind the "F1" key to move you somewhere else but the latest patch that was meant fix the giant black hole issue and didn't did ensure that the hack no longer works. Good work WB!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is Yaiba on there?

Is it really that good? Kenji Inafune is pretty much the kiss of death in making me interested in something, the panties and other numerous stuff that doesn't feel like Ninja Gaiden 1-2 from Itagaki also drove me from it. :/

I mean if I got it for free (doubt I hit the mega-giver status given mega-giver rollover now), I guess I'd give it a run through, but I'm not sure I'd pay Tecmo that much for something over Ninja Gaiden Black and Sigma 2 if they were ported.
Or preferably: DOA5U and DOAXBV

Tizoc

Exactly.

I think BinaryPork knows what's up:

The only decent game they ever made (supposedly), is one I most likely will never be able to play.

I think Rhaknar can attest that you put like more than 10 hours into Strider on Steam.
...and Strider 2014 was much better than Yaiba, and I bought Yaiba off Steam Day 1ish, got most of its cheevos then uninstalled it after I got my fill of it.
Where were you when Yaibd was released ;P
Strider's still installed, waiting for me to replay it on Hard.

I like to think Frosty talks outa his butt when he bitches about Strider.
Hell I bought Strider for PS3 last week before Tuesday when it went on sale. I chuckled, when it did but did not regret the $5 I could've saved.
I'ma rank it as my #1 GotY just to spite him.
Man if my CC gets cleared I might do another Strider giveaway
if it goes on sale

Hugstable

Banned
The only decent game they ever made (supposedly), is one I most likely will never be able to play. So for me, that game doesn't exist. :p

Yeah I really did not like Homecoming at all. Strider isn't super horrible, it's just a really disappointing game since they really didn't stick to what a Strider game was at all. I still have it on my PS4 and haven't played more than 2 hours just because every area looks the damn same.

Then again most of my Strider experience growing up was stuffing quarters into the arcade version. Never played the NES or genesis versions so I have no clue if they were any different.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Is it really that good? Kenji Inafune is pretty much the kiss of death in making me interested in something, the panties and other numerous stuff that doesn't feel like Ninja Gaiden 1-2 from Itagaki also drove me from it. :/

I mean if I got it for free (doubt I hit the mega-giver status given mega-giver rollover now), I guess I'd give it a run through, but I'm not sure I'd pay Tecmo that much for something over Ninja Gaiden Black and Sigma 2 if they were ported.
Or preferably: DOA5U and DOAXBV

it really is THAT good ... and don't look at it like it's another Ninja Gaiden game ... because it isn't .... and it was never supposed to be ... it's a really good game in its own right

Levyne

Banned
The primary battle mechanics are ok, although map variety is almost non-existent. Not having variable height on tiles is what really holds it back. Character progression is ok, although when someone randomly leaves it can really screw you over, if you've invested a lot of work in them (at the expense of others [which you have to do, as there are too many characters to level all of them]).

The game fails in that its resource management, based on a singular resource used for food, leveling, and equipment purchases, is poorly balanced. I won't spoil anything, but the game does a poor job of things midway to end. Ostensibly this is due to difficult events in the game, but the way the game teaches you to spend resources sets you up for failure later on, potentially handicapping character development.

This poor balance is seen in other parts of the game, in several scenarios, characters, and so on.

It's not that long. I finished it in 9 hours.

I liked Banner Saga enough to recommend it to people who like such games, but would have a difficult time recommending it to anyone else, and I would not say it's very great. Maybe the company's next attempt will fix some of the issues.

Thanks for the reply! Gives me some things to chew on. It will be interesting to see the level of balance/unbalance shift as I put more time into it. It seems pretty typical in these types of games that everything exceedingly swings to the players favor once you're far enough along (FF Tactics series. Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre maybe)

Tizoc

it really is THAT good ... and don't look at it like it's another Ninja Gaiden game ... because it isn't .... and it was never supposed to be ... it's a really good game in its own right

This is what I've been saying since the game was released/close to release.
No one listened.
In it's own right, yeah I guess it'd be good, but I personally didn't like it that much.
Some great colors though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

so we can love Yaiba for being a non-Ninja Gaiden, despite the name, but we cant love Tomb Raider for being a non-TR or Hitman Absolution for being a non-Hitman

Internet double standards are fun :p

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
so we can love Yaiba for being a non-Ninja Gaiden, despite the name, but we cant love Tomb Raider for being a non-TR or Hitman Absolution for being a non-Hitman

who said we can't? I really like all of those games ... all 3 of them ... I never said otherwise

Backlogger

I'm really enjoying Tomb Raider and think I am near the end. Been great for screen shots, including this one of me getting impaled through the head which Steam decided to use as my game background.

Edit:

I, believe it or not, have never played any of the previous Tomb Raider or Uncharted games, so for me its all new either way. I am really enjoying my play through.

Absolution is much more of a Hitman game than the other examples though. Even the lack of assassinations is similar to the second game in the series.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

But see, that's kinda the thing: I'm comparing it to Ninja Gaiden Black (GOAT) and 2/Sigma 2 (alright, but needed time in the oven that Sigma's rebalance fixed with Sigma's slight issues). So I'm not sure how I feel if it's radically different from those.

But anyway the art-style is a bit of a turn off and I don't really like Kenji Inafune's titles outside of like Dead Rising so him supervising doesn't really light confidence in me. *shrug* Maybe if Tecmo put their offerings up on a Steam sale one day...

Serious Sam 2 is the longest and most painful shit I have ever taken.

image.php
?

I still haven't finished the first. I don't get the "ZOMG DOOM" comparisons outside of the movement and I guess the maps kinda. It just doesn't have the same "magic" to me.

I need to go back to it, but the online co-op is dead and I can't really get the motiviation/drive to finish it singleplayer.

Tizoc

Heh I confess that I didn't like TR 2013 that much because it strayed from the traditional TR formula, BUT as an Uncharted-like game? Yeah I could recommend it if you were into that. Heck I wanted my brother to try out the game since he likes Uncharted, but the guy would rather replay Walking Dead Season 1 for the 90th time.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Playing on normal with no infinite ammo would let the perfect balance show :p

It'd certainly affect the balance of my sanity.

image.php
?

I still haven't finished the first. I don't get the "ZOMG DOOM" comparisons outside of the movement and I guess the maps kinda. It just doesn't have the same "magic" to me.

I need to go back to it, but the online co-op is dead and I can't really get the motiviation/drive to finish it singleplayer.

Yeah, the game is not a Doom-clone or a Wolfenstein-like. It wants you to think it is, but it is almost like you had a computer chomp up the random elements of an early fps and simulate the experience the best it can.

A lot of key reseller sites aren't really reliable, and you can sometimes risk having your key rescinded by a company, meaning you can't play the game, and the site you bought it from may or may not give you a refund. Plus a lot of those sites are banned on Gaf.

Basically, any site not in this thread's OP = probably not safe to buy from.

Gamers Gate is in the OP and they have it for $7 right now...

Deitus

There's a pretty significant distinction between a game that is obviously a spinoff, and a sequel/reboot that is intended to replace the style of game that came before it. Even a game like DmC would have gotten a lot less backlash if Capcom had just said "we're also going to make a DMC5 in the old style".

My dislike for the TR reboot had nothing to do with the series, I just found it all around uninteresting to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom