• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Heard y'all were talking about the Tomb Raider reboot.

It was sort of okay? Maybe?

It felt like the Tomb Raiding was just thrown in there so they would have an excuse to call it Tomb Raider, but a bunch of single-puzzle tiny tombs are not what I wanted.

It also felt like they made the game around a bunch of survival elements and then took them out when the focus groups didn't like them. I feel like hunting and eating to keep your strength up was supposed to be a thing, and the skills still talk about getting "food" from animals and caches, but it's just XP. Also there's wildlife to hunt freaking everywhere, but there's no real reason to. That and the fact that you "craft" weapons by just pulling "parts" from random crates and then auto-building them at a campfire, makes me think the game was originally designed to have way more of a survival focus, to go along with the theme the plot establishes.

It's definitely my least favorite of the games I've played with Lara Croft in them.

Anniversary>Guardian of Light>>Legend>Underworld>>>Tomb Raider 2013

I think the reboot is fun in its own way, but their focus is spread a bit too thin, there's a bit of everything but most of them don't feel fleshed out, but I would put it where Legend is, both games are light on puzzles but heavy on action (well still more tombs in legend but I feel that the game is a bit too short anyway with a fair amount of combat throughout). I still liked TR2013 overall and think it at least has the strongest combat with some neat elements, controls better than underworld, while platforming and puzzles are obviously not as good as its predecessors.

Anniversary is probably my favorite game, while legend, underworld and TR2013 all seem to have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I really liked guardian of light but I can't really compare it to the mainline games

Anteater

You get two companions: one a two-hand users, the other an air/water mage. (You can also later recruit generic companions of any build you like, but they never talk.) The air/water mage gets some crafting skill (but you can also just make a generic to specialize in crafting).

Just in case you wanted to build your characters to not overlap the companions.

I made a fire/earth mage/witch and a ranger. I took pet pal because it's awesome.

thanks for the info, good to know about the mage companion, since there seems to be quite a few useful elements in the game I don't currently have

Tellaerin

No, lack of Enix games rubs me the wrong way.
Humble needs to add PC ports of Dragon Quest 1-9 today.
Oh, and ActRaiser.

I've never been a huge fan of the DQ series, myself - Final Fantasy's more my thing, really - but I wouldn't turn my nose up at DQ VIII and IX, and I'd love to see an ActRaiser port. What I'd really like from the Enix side, though, are SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. Remastered versions a la Ys would be awesome, but I'd be satisfied with straight ports at this point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As far as I know, Vin Diesel owns the IP and the now shuttered studio behind the game; yet he has deemed it not worth it to re-license the game. Unless he becomes interested in being a developer again or sells the property outright (This of course assumes some third party believes there is profit to be made with the IP), chances are low to non-existent.

WB bought Wheelman outright -- the game itself and the trademark -- from Midway. Tigon (which was reassembled last year to work on an MMOesque Riddick game) has absolutely no claim to it at all. The only possible hiccup is that Vin Diesel's likeness was a licensed gig, however since the game was developed by his own studio I have my doubts about this being the case, and even if it were I sincerely doubt getting him to sign off on a re-release would be difficult. I think the game will return eventually as part of the WB Vault initiative that was announced earlier in the year.

Ban Puncher

I was just checking Man Puncher's wishlist to see if I can give anything. I guess lord gabeN says no. Sorry Man Puncher

jMMvM93.gif

Milamber

My Top Five Wishlist is that way because I know I will never buy them but I may have a chance at winning them in a Steam Sale contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom