• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard y'all were talking about the Tomb Raider reboot.

It was sort of okay? Maybe?

It felt like the Tomb Raiding was just thrown in there so they would have an excuse to call it Tomb Raider, but a bunch of single-puzzle tiny tombs are not what I wanted.

It also felt like they made the game around a bunch of survival elements and then took them out when the focus groups didn't like them. I feel like hunting and eating to keep your strength up was supposed to be a thing, and the skills still talk about getting "food" from animals and caches, but it's just XP. Also there's wildlife to hunt freaking everywhere, but there's no real reason to. That and the fact that you "craft" weapons by just pulling "parts" from random crates and then auto-building them at a campfire, makes me think the game was originally designed to have way more of a survival focus, to go along with the theme the plot establishes.

It's definitely my least favorite of the games I've played with Lara Croft in them.

Anniversary>Guardian of Light>>Legend>Underworld>>>Tomb Raider 2013
It was supposed to be a wildly different game, yes. When Crystal Dynamics had originally revealed the game for some publication (I believe it was Game Informer?) they envisioned the reboot being an open-world survival game with a heavy emphasis on horror, isolation and Metroid-esque exploration. It sounded genuinely promising if they managed to pull it off, and at one point it even had horseback traversal.

Instead we got run-of-the-mill AAA generic garbage. One of the poorest plots I've ever 'experienced' (even by videogame standards!) too, which is a laugh and a half considering how embarassingly desperate the reboot was to be taken seriously. If nothing else, I hope the DEFINITIVE EDITION tweaks never make it to PC-side, because it'll be depressing to hear how people either willingly replayed or (worse) bought the reboot for the update alone.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh yes I have. and I have one of the ones he want. All it take is 3 clicks.

if you mean your Advanced Warfare in your inventory, wasnt that a birthday gift?

Oh yes, I know everything, like Cthulu, only with less tentacles

It was a birthday gift, but if Rhaknar really wanted it.. I don't see why I shouldn't give it to him.

as I was saying :p and if you think for a second I would ever take someone else's gift, a birthday gift no less, well...I dont know what to say. Why the fuck havent you activated that if someone gave it to you o_O

My top 5 games currently are the games i want the most and are out. I always leave stuff that isn't out yet at the bottom, or that i can't at least buy yet. Besides TiTs. Since that comes out tomorrow.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That remains to be seen

my tentacles are far reaching with specific targets, and they all have anime avatars

9+_1550fd4adf5d86b5520e130abcae7f6b.gif

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
My top 5 games currently are the games i want the most and are out. I always leave stuff that isn't out yet at the bottom, or that i can't at least buy yet. Besides TiTs. Since that comes out tomorrow.

But then I'd have to go through and move everything around again.

my tentacles are far reaching with specific targets, and they all have anime avatars

Insert Laharl-chan avatar quote here.

Shadownet

Banned
Because it was your birthday gift? >_>

Aiya... just activate it for yourself, you crazy guy.

if you mean your Advanced Warfare in your inventory, wasnt that a birthday gift?

Oh yes, I know everything, like Cthulu, only with less tentacles

as I was saying :p and if you think for a second I would ever take someone else's gift, a birthday gift no less, well...I dont know what to say. Why the fuck havent you activated that if someone gave it to you o_O

Because I'm waiting to repay the person who gift it to me before I do anything with it. it was such a big gift.

and really? I imagine you would be like Captain Davy Jones. tentacles beard.

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
How am I talking out of my ass when it comes to Strider? I've played it more than you already, I have 100% of the achievements and I've beaten it twice. I'm pretty sure that qualifies me to make comments about the game and what I didn't like...

For the record, I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 9-10 hours with Strider. It was just enough to get 100% and then delete it from my hard drive immediately. The extra time on Steam, like most game times for me, was fucked up by idling cards... so it has an extra 5-6 hours on it from that.

I can honestly say I will NEVER play that game again. EVER. And here's why:
(1) There is no variety, in anything. There's two main types of levels -- futuristic cityscape and sewer. Maybe you could count the temple area... maybe... but it reminds me a lot of a blend between the sewer and the city. This makes it feel like you're never going anywhere.
(2) Continuing the no variety, there's maybe about 6 enemy types throughout the whole game, not including bosses, and that MAY be including the stupid-ass color coded enemies.
(3) Speaking of, it has color coded enemies, enough said.
(4) There is no challenge. At all, except for the first boss on hard if you haven't played before, the expected cyber gorilla fight because he does ridiculous damage, and one random encounter in the elevator on the ride up to the boss which is a difficulty spike of epic proportions on hard (I had 100% of the upgrades and only was able to manage it once I started using the gravity/purple slingshot for the special ability).
(5) The game is short. Ridiculously short -- and there's nothing to make you really go back because the combat is just mashing x for the most part. My first run, collecting everything, on hard (first time playing) clocked in around 6.5 hours, give or take. My speed run to get the final achievement would've clocked in at under 2.25 hours easily, but I decided to go out of my way to get a few extra upgrades just to make sure I wouldn't have a problem with that poorly designed encounter in the final area.
(6) The gameplay, at it's core, is extremely simple and ultimately boring. There is a practically useless upward attack mapped to Y, which was only ever useful for some of the reflecting projectiles from the wall cannons, so for the most part, combat is a total snoozefest. I was bored of the combat (and traversal mechanics) within the first 45 minutes or so and the only ability/upgrade that gave me any sort of repreive was the slingshot catapult which you get kind of late.
(7) The "cutscenes" are some C-level voice acting. You would think this is some fan made Strider game that failed out of kickstarter and was made anyway judging by this stuff. Add in the ridiculous "portraits" that don't match and sprinkle in the non-existent story and that side of the game makes it so that gameplay (as usual) should be the reason to love the game if there was one. But based on the above points, there's nothing good about the gameplay, as far as I'm concerned. It's mediocre and boring, at it's best.
(8) The lack of attention to detail really bothered me... I had a bunch of examples, but the one that always gets me is that from the very moment you take control of Hiryu, he has a pouch/pack on his shoulder containing kunai -- you get a very good look at it during one of the first parts of gameplay. And yet you don't actually get the kunai ability til 50% of the game is over. There wer other examples, I'm sure, but this is the one that just stood out for me about all others.
(9) The lack of NG+ kills any potential hope of replay value. Did you miss collectibles? Did you want to get every single retro "collectible" they hid in places (which are kinda lame themselves)? Oh, you already went to take on the final boss? Tough, start over from scratch. And I don't think they ever patched it in.
(10) Beyond all this, the game had technical issues like crazy. While I never really encountered many, I have a pretty good graphics card and it's more than capable of handling the game as intended with DX11. But for those without such niceties? Good fuckin' luck.

I could probably spout more reasons I did not like the game, but for me it was the most boring and disappointing way that Strider could have returned in his own game and I'd honestly rather have the PSX game via emulator or play the arcade rom in the Capcom collections on my Vita. My nostalgia hyped me up and the promo trailers they put together gave me hope for the game when I originally thought it would be bad since announce because I didn't like the 2.5D or the Metroidvania direction it was going in. I gave in, I got it for about $9 and made a bunch of that back via playfire rewards for 100%'ing the game. But I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone, ever, and I highly advise anyone interested make sure they check out one of the demos for the game on consoles if possible. If you own a PS4 and have PS+, get it that way, maybe you like it, maybe you have fun with it because your expectations were non-existant due to not knowing or caring about the Strider franchise. But as a die-hard Strider fan? This is not the game we deserved, not even close.

So to be fair, my hatred of Strider comes from the intense disappointment I felt for the game. If you're not like me, you could probably play the game, maybe enjoy it for what it is, and it would be like a 7/10 max, but probably more like a 5.5-6.5. But for me? It's the most disappointment I've felt in gaming since January of 2002 -- where after 15-20 hours invested into FFX, I found that I did not like the game and thought it was terrible. And I kept pushing forward hoping that the next few hours would change my opinion... but it never happened. This is the same thing that occurred for me with Strider 2014. I kept pushing forward hoping it would get better and I would like it... and I never did. In fact, if I'm talking Capcom reboots, I would put DmC leagues above Strider... but that's another story.

I know I talk like Strider came to my house, beat my dogs, and then shit in my microwave... and that's a bit of hyperbole... it happens because of the disappointment I had with it after letting my hopes and expectations rise the week before it's release.

For the record, here's the screencaps from when I finished it:

I think it's a lot of fun, but I compare it to a musou game more than a character action game. It's kind of like Dynasty Warriors and Ninja Gaiden had a kid and then the kid got fucked up on a drug called Borderlands (in terms of the edgy humour and visuals).

6-8 hours, maybe? Depends on how much trouble you have with some of the combat. Play on normal, for sure. Easy might be too easy to have fun, but hard will be a brick wall you drive into at 88mph when you hit chapter 5.

Genesis was a port of the arcade game. PSX was a sequel inspired by the arcade game. NES was what this game could have been, if done right, and it's not. (Random: In a discussion I had with Fuzzi one night about Strider, he indicated he experienced it through his friend's hype and play, because his friend was a diehard fan of the NES version. His friend never even finished this new game.)

Don't oversell it, lash.
But yeah, it's not a character action game and was never meant to be. It's a game that plays like a musou but with a combat system pulled out of a character action game -- so you can dash, block, counter and mix the combination of your 3 weapons into like 30+ combos.

This is a fair assessment. It's not for everyone, but it's not the worst game ever made as the internet and some reviewers would have you believe.

As a die hard strider fan (obviously) who fell in love with the game and then the source material in arcade back in the 80s...i feel the disappointment. Its not that the gameplay was horrible, it was fluid and fast ...it was that my biggest fear was realized..the game was easy as hell..there was zero challenge....a life bar with life refill dropping everywhere. The original strider was difficult for its technical level mechanics , it took trial and error and practice. With its simple story and the way it rushes past cut scenes, you were basically the most bad ass ninja in the world off to destroy Neo..and the better you got, the more bad ass you were..until you could get from start to finish without running through one life. Each level felt like you were traveling to different parts of the world so fast you were an unstoppable force...this just feels like you are running around cyber hallwayville.

It just doesnt have that classic japanese arcade style to it...if they were gonna go metroidvania they could have made a better version of the nes game. I can only imagine the strider game i would make...charged with energy, challenging and filled to the brim with an art style inspired from the source material.

Capcoms seems to be undoing itself by taking its old IP's and sending em westward in hopes of capturing a wider western audience....when all that happens is they get watered down.

Wok

So I can't test this code because I don't have SAM or a Windows computer to run it on right now, but this theoretically does the automatic idle processing thing jshackles was talking about. (IE it idles every single game you have card drops left in until you have no more card drops left)

idler.py

login.txt
Code:
myProfileURL="https://steamcommunity.com/id/stumpo/"
sessionid = ""
steamLogin=""
(Insert your steam cookies there)

You'd need to put the python file, the text file, SAM.Game.exe all in the same folder and taskkill would have to be in your OS path. If it requires some troubleshooting in the main SAM execution loop, then... well... I can't be the one to troubleshoot it, but I'm sure a Python programmer of even modest skill would find this pretty readable.

I have trouble with:
dropCount = badge.find_all("span",{"class": "progress_info_bold"})
being empty.

Maybe I am doing something wrong since I don't understand this sentence:
(Insert your steam cookies there)

It is not the Steam login and password, right?

Also, I have modified the code so that it should work with Python 3 (3.2 in my case), and I have installed the dependencies with pip. I have also translated the "no card drop" to French, but the error is before this step anyway.

This is the code on Github.

Edit: Alright, it works! I had to find the cookies info in Firefox!

Tellaerin

Psh. You crazy kids and your wishlists. In my day, we made lists on paper! With pencils! And we bought games in stores! On discs! And cartridges! And cassette tapes! :p

Ban Puncher

Psh. You crazy kids and your wishlists. In my day, we made lists on paper! With pencils! And we bought games in stores! On discs! And cartridges! And cassette tapes! :p

Digital audio tape, my butt! When I was a kid, we had compact discs, and I don't recall no one complaining.

I could actually do that.

Yeah, but, that's cheating. Someone else wanted YOU to have that. :p

Because I'm waiting to repay the person who gift it to me before I do anything with it. it was such a big gift.

and really? I imagine you would be like Captain Davy Jones. tentacles beard.

Well, in this case, at least you actually accepted it. :p

As a die hard strider fan (obviously) who fell in love with the game and then the source material in arcade back in the 80s...i feel the disappointment. Its not that the gameplay was horrible, it was fluid and fast ...it was that my biggest fear was realized..the game was easy as hell..there was zero challenge....a life bar with life refill dropping everywhere. The original strider was difficult for its technical level mechanics , it took trial and error and practice. With its simple story and the way it rushes past cut scenes, you were basically the most bad ass ninja in the world off to destroy Neo..and the better you got, the more bad ass you were..until you could get from start to finish without running through one life. Each level felt like you were traveling to different parts of the world so fast you were an unstoppable force...this just feels like you are running around cyber hallwayville.

It just doesnt have that classic japanese arcade style to it...if they were gonna go metroidvania they could have made a better version of the nes game. I can only imagine the strider game i would make...charged with energy, challenging and filled to the brim with an art style inspired from the source material.

Capcoms seems to be undoing itself by taking its old IP's and sending em westward in hopes of capturing a wider western audience....when all that happens is they get watered down.

Bravo. Completely agree.
I just wish we could have somehow been given the PSX Strider 2 with it like the JPN CE for PS3 got, I've never gotten to play this game and it looks like more of the Strider I would want than what Double Helix gave us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kayaJHbHhk

Double Helix must've watched once though, only taking away that for whatever reason Hiryu never loses health... and then decided that the new Strider should be ridiculously easy to match. ;)

--

I don't know if I could have wished for the copies of Yaiba I have put forth to go to 3 better homes.
I talked with Pahamrick about it after he won and it seemed right up his alley, so I'm confident he will become a fan after playing through.
I know Rhaknar has had his eye on it for awhile and I almost gave it to him for game #2000... so I'm glad he was finally able to win a "bigger" prize from someone.
And now, Fuzzi, congratulations on the last one. I'm just stoked to see you win something for once... I'm glad it was my giveaway in this case.

To all 3 of you, I hope you enjoy the game and I look forward to hearing what you think about it. Even if you don't end up liking it, I know all 3 of you will give it a fair shot and not let the poison venom the internet has for it influence you here.
To everyone else... sorry you didn't win, but I'm sure I'll be back with some more giveaways... as soon as I break Hayabusa's neck.

Arthea

I don't even want humongous games, but damn if that humble flash bundle isn't tempting.
must resist

edited: what are top 3 everyone is talking about? can someone post it
too lazy to check, and it is too hot to do much fussing anyway

Wok

Also, I have modified the code so that it should work with Python 3 (3.2 in my case), and I have installed the dependencies with pip. I have also translated the "no card drop" to French, but the error is before this step anyway.

This is the code on Github.

Edit: Alright, it works! I had to find the cookies info in Firefox!

I have to idle for 222 games!

How often does the cookie data change? If I have to this everyday, it is underwhelming:

pgUImZC.png

Yakkue

I don't even want humongous games, but damn if that humble flash bundle isn't tempting.
must resist

edited: what are top 3 everyone is talking about? can someone post it
too lazy to check, and it is too hot to do much fussing anyway

The top 3 wishlist games of the respective posters.
In Rhaknars case: ArcheAge: Archeum Founders Pack, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Mine is:
Detective Case
Shantae
Broforce
Claire
Recettear

It would be Trails In The Sky, Crypt Of The Necrodancer, and Hatoful Boyfriend if they were out.

Rhaknar

home sweet home

...and no new keys added to bundles, son of a bitch :/

Tellaerin

Genesis was a port of the arcade game. PSX was a sequel inspired by the arcade game. NES was what this game could have been, if done right, and it's not. (Random: In a discussion I had with Fuzzi one night about Strider, he indicated he experienced it through his friend's hype and play, because his friend was a diehard fan of the NES version. His friend never even finished this new game.)

It still pains me that the new Strider turned out to be so disappointing. I enjoyed the little bit of time I had with it at a demo kiosk, but getting to mess with something for a few minutes isn't always representative of the final experience. Sounds like that's the case here, and it's a damn shame. I played the original to death in the arcades (and later, on the Genesis), unwittingly bought that wretched Strider II for the Genesis expecting an actual sequel (no matter how bad this new Strider is, I can assure you that Strider II was worse. It was so bad. So, so bad. And not Power Glove "bad", either.), then got the sequel I wanted years later when Capcom released Strider 2 for the PS1. (Strider 2's still my fave.) Sadly, my only exposure to the NES version was at a mall stand, way back when - I'd love to play it one of these days.

Man Puncher's is
1. Barbie Dreamhouse Party
2. Witcher 3
3. Dead Rising 3

♫ One of these things is not like the others / One of these things just doesn't belong~ ♫

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom