• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagamer

System Requirements

Windows XP, Vista, or 7
512 MB RAM
1 Ghz or faster processor
Have the system reqs been updated in recent months or have they been like that for long? The pc matches those minimum reqs but as I said, there have been no problems before.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Crusader Kings II

I wouldn't recommend that one to someone just starting out on Steam >_>

Though that does remind me that I should go back to it at some point. Too bad Trails comes out tomorrow, so I've got an excuse not to :D

A Machine for Pigs is the sequel, yeah. It's disappointing that the game under-delivered as the title is great.

I mean, I kind of expected that it would disappoint at least some people just because the Chinese Room were developing it, and we all know how people reacted to Dear Esther.

I honestly feel like the same thing's going to happen with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

There aren't repercussions to robbing people blind in Divinity OS, are there? I'm not getting caught, I just distract anyone in there with my companion and sneak around and take basically everything of value in like... everyone's house--where possible.

Coreda

What would be SteamGAF's picks for a top 3-5 respected gaming publications/sites?

Was wondering which scores from sites matter more than others in GAF's opinion.

anastef

Scribblenauts Unlimited
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (anastef, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Scribblenauts Unlimited -- MB-B2FCE8F5C942D657 - Taken by Teppic

_hekk05

Banned
There aren't repercussions to robbing people blind in Divinity OS, are there? I'm not getting caught, I just distract anyone in there with my companion and sneak around and take basically everything of value in like... everyone's house--where possible.

That's how RPGs are supposed to be played.

The plan is to lose every single divinity raffle from now til autumn sale, then buy it, preferably on a daily.

Edit: Lost gloriously
Divinity: Original Sin -- MB-AF1314CD0FE8E7F2 - Taken by Indignate. 24 entrants total.

What would be SteamGAF's picks for a top 3-5 respected gaming publications/sites?

Was wondering which scores from sites matter more than others in GAF's opinion.

Man Puncher avatar quote

Not much respect going around in these parts of the woods

tylerf

Not if you don't get caught. I've stolen every painting from every house I've been to. I'm an art connoisseur.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Have the system reqs been updated in recent months or have they been like that for long? The pc matches those minimum reqs but as I said, there have been no problems before.

Those sysreqs are about four years old, but again Valve's only dropped support for SP1 in particular as the move affected less than 1% of users. SP2 and SP3 are still supported:

Steam Hardware & Software Survey: June 2014

Windows XP 32 bit
4.90% (+0.29%)

Windows XP 64 bit
0.27% (-0.03%)

A Machine for Pigs is the sequel, yeah. It's disappointing that the game under-delivered as the title is great.

That's the video I saw as well. Hmm. My interests rises a bit more, I should look into the firsr more. Plus I know some friends would enjoy trying it out.

My wishlist has 147 things, and that's only the stuff I think I would play after buying. If I had everything I wanted on it, it would be a good deal larger. Don't sweat it.

Jesus. I don't think I could ever get to that number, I would feel the need to buy things quickly just to lower that number. >.<

Not if you don't get caught. I've stolen every painting from every house I've been to. I'm an art connoisseur.
Good. And yes I agree that's how they should be played. You have no idea how many hours I spent in Baldur's Gate just trying to get the perfect setup to steal from every blacksmith and weapon shop possible. Plus abusing the game engine in Morrowind to steal things right in front of people...

Coreda

Man Puncher avatar quote

Not much respect going around in these parts of the woods

Well you say that, but they're still included in every OT of a game, review score wise. If there were 3-5 in a featured graphic for an OT I'm wondering what they should be.

DarkMehm

Third and last try for these. Please take them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for DarkMehm:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (DarkMehm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising (Origin) -- MB-4C9EE855D12CBC1D - Taken by thePenguin
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge (Origin) -- MB-AF1003D183C04D97
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-C29F3C0566F379BC
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-1B5D03363CE60907 - Taken by Whelan

Corpekata

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Corpekata, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

QuestRun -- MB-231F05989848C41E - Taken by salazar547. 5 entrants total.

t1406628055z1.png

Already owned this and just bought the newest indiegala, so, someone take. It's somewhat amusing.

_hekk05

Banned
Well you say that, but they're still included in every OT of a game, review score wise. If there were 3-5 in a featured graphic for an OT I'm wondering what they should be.

Only included because Metacritic seems to be a thing. I mostly rely on gameplay footage or gaffer impressions to draw my own conclusions. I'm sure many of steamgaf does the same

Tellaerin

Only included because Metacritic seems to be a thing. I mostly rely on gameplay footage or gaffer impressions to draw my own conclusions. I'm sure many of steamgaf does the same

Yeah, at this point I just try to keep track of which posters here seem to have similar tastes to mine, then see what their impressions are like.

This is just a warm up.

Later today if I remember to, I am going to give away a dirty bomb closed beta key (I think I might have 2 or maybe even 3 left).

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mobius and pet octopus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gun Monkeys -- MB-F4BCF28C6A837FDE

t1406625655z1.png

Coreda

Sure, I do the same. Although GiantBomb is one that is near universally praised on GAF, some won't even be interested in a game before they see a quick look about it. I'd imagine there would be others worth mentioning, surely.

Pulling scores out from other sites is also often common within threads for discussion, especially for OTs where embargoes are involved leading to anticipation over scores.

Maybe SteamGAF isn't the best place to ask :p

Saty

ModBot 2 said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Saty, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Delve Deeper -- MB-DE38013A17D76D9A - Taken by bronson

For the winner: add me on Steam so i can gift it directly to you.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Saturn/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For the winner: add me on Steam so i can gift it directly to you.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Saturn/

For future reference, with Steam gifts you can send them to your e-mail address and then use the redemption URL as a "key" with ModBot (just remember to chop off the ?redeemer portion as there's no need to share your e-mail address). The only caveat is that you can't send multiple copies of the same game to the one address as they won't go through if Steam detects that the nominated address already has a pending copy.

anastef

FEZ
ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (anastef, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

FEZ -- MB-F6406B35ABDE2CE3 - Taken by Troubled Bat

also still available :

Little inferno -- MB-DF14D72D6330BD6A

_hekk05

Banned
Sure, I do the same. Although GiantBomb is one that is near universally praised on GAF, some won't even be interested in a game before they see a quick look about it. I'd imagine there would be others worth mentioning, surely.

Pulling scores out from other sites is also often common within threads for discussion, especially for OTs where embargoes are involved leading to anticipation over scores.

Maybe SteamGAF isn't the best place to ask :p

Am I the only one who doesn't really trust any game enthusiast site? I don't remember much, but I seem to have an impression that GiantBomb can be slightly biased and are not that good with presenting facts.

Also when they're streaming games their faces look dead and their jokes hollow and I have never really seen them be genuinely excited for anything.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My thoughts on Amnesia got ruined, because my friends showed me a playthrough of it.. By PewDiePie <-Whatever his name is. :|

No? It just reminded me of it by the looks. :x

Basically that. But I mean, I love the genre in general that i'd like explor every type.

Also, sorry on my lateness.. I'm using a phone, and it's 4am. U_U

Alright, so this is in no order but how I remember them, I'll try to get a few good horror games out of the way, but if you ever want more obscure or just more examples with some pros and cons, just ask.

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Penumbra Series

If you're spoiled on Amnesia and rather not experience it yourself, maybe worth your time is the Penumbra Series. There are often debates in horror circles whenever the Penumbra games or Amnesia is the better and scarier horror game. If you don't know what they are, the Penumbra games (two games and a DLC add-on to the second game) were the games the creators of Amnesia made before Amnesia, they feature some similar physics-based stuff, but there are definitely differences. You can kill monsters, for one, but it makes up with this with limited supplies, survival in tense situations, and a variety of terrifying moments. Some people prefer these games much more to Amnesia, others the other way around.

Also from the developer but not out until next year, keep your eye on the studios next game, SOMA.

header_292x136.jpg

Claire

Others have mentioned it, but Claire is a horror game I've been trying to sell people on since last week when I played it. It has some similarities to Lone Survivor, but also some big differences, and as others mentioned, not by the same creator as LS. Claire is something similar to the breed of horror game Silent Hill and Clock Tower come from, involving psychological surreal horror backed by excellent sound design, and unkillable monsters that chase after you, break down doors, and can only be outrun or hid from, but you also have to gauge not only your health but your panic meter. Up there right now with some of my favorite 2D horror games. though a few problems in the game still need to be ironed out, but the developer has been responsive and social and been continually releasing fixes for found problems in the game.

------

I'm going to assume for a second you've played Resident Evil 4, if you haven't you owe it to yourself, really. More of an action game, but still has some good horror moments and themes.

------

header_292x136.jpg

DreadOut

Another game brought up briefly, DreadOut is an indie take on Fatal Frame essentially. It has outdated graphics, clunky animation, and some cheesy voicing, but makes up for it in excellent sound design, atmosphere, variety of ghosts, and more. However, the game is split into 2 Acts, with only Act 1 out right now, Act 2 comes out freely for all owners later this year. DreadOut I would recommend if you're a fan of old-school horror games of the late 90s and low-budgeted efforts with a lot of charm, it is a bit obtuse in what you must do to continue at points, but features some good scares, ghosts, and moments in Act 1 as it is, though some back-tracking, puzzles, and slow pace some not fond of older horror games may not appreciate. Recommendation; when it turns dark, go backwards into the town you just came from... The game also has a lot of secrets.

-----

You mentioned Lone Survivor, so assuming you already played it.

-----

header_292x136.jpg

Deadly Premonition

If you somehow have not heard of this cult gem, Deadly Premonition is not a scary game, but an unforgettable rough gem that features both fantastic and terrible qualities. There is some rough spots to make the PC version run on some machines, but I think worth it, an open-world game where you enter otherworld segments ala' Silent Hill but with a poor-man's Resident Evil 4 gameplay, matched with a fantastic story, unforgettable characters, terrible driving, a number of both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious moments, but also touching gameplay that becomes something of an experience. Basically Twin Peaks: The Game.

header_292x136.jpg

Cold Fear

Speaking of Poor-Man's Resident Evil 4... This game I decided to mention, but it's more a love it/hate it type of game. There are some definite flaws, and its' basically a mixture of old-school RE and RE4 gameplay (game has fixed camera angles in most areas, but others follow you behind the shoulder and if you pull out your gun it automatically goes behind the shoulder, along with a variety of design decisions). You're on a boat, you must now escape the nightmare full of parasites you've found yourself on. Needlessly difficult in some places, but some good fun to be had, though a few cheap deaths. Interesting files and enemy selection (for the most part), though.

header_292x136.jpg

Alan Wake

You're Alan Wake... And you're a writer. This one I bet you know and probably have played, but thought I'd mention. More of a psychological thriller action game than straight-on horror, but still some excellent atmosphere in places, like a hammy Stephen King meets Lovecraft movie but with touches of interesting and quirky characters ala' Twin Peaks, you go through dark forests (and other places later) and fight the darkness with light. PC version is superior to the 360 version by far. for a large number of reasons.

header_292x136.jpg

Condemned: Criminal Origins

An excellent first-person horror game with a melee focus. You take to the underbelly of the city on the run for a crime you've been framed for, and find that the hobos there are less than welcoming. Has an interesting thing where the second half of the game is actually scarier than the first half. Number of excellent moments, and some fun melee combat.

header_292x136.jpg

F.E.A.R.

Classic West-meets-East (sort of) FPS horror where you fight hordes of soldiers and deal with creepy hauntings. Has very satisfying gameplay, high-adrenaline in places, and one of the best shotguns ever.

header_292x136.jpg

The Cat Lady

Been mentioned, but an excellent psychedelic adventure horror game where you are a woman who committed suicide who is not permitted to die until you take out a number of terrible monsters wearing mans skin who have nothing but malicious intentions. Has a great style and story to it, as well as both weird and memorizing.

header_292x136.jpg

Scratches: Director's Cut

Speaking of excellent horror adventure games, Scratches: Director's Cut is a point'n'click with excellent audio, atmosphere, and slow-burn horror that gets more and more disturbing, creepy, and scary as the game goes on. Excellent story matched with execution and audio.

header_292x136.jpg

Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Excellent first-person horror-adventure-action game that takes a lot from Lovecraft Mythos (obviously), and is mine and many others favorite Lovecraft-based game. A bit difficult and some glitches, but still an excellent horror adventure that is a bit slow-burn, but becomes gripping as it goes on. Has sanity effects, a brutal bleeding/poisoning system, enemies that can seriously harm you if not careful, stealth/action approach with limited supplies, and a growing darkness as the game continues.

header_292x136.jpg

Cry of Fear

This game is free, so why not try it out. Action-Horror meets psychological horror in this interesting blend that has a unique single player and co-op campaign. Some good scares, oddities, and moments, though the engine is outdated. Still an excellent little freeware game.

header_292x136.jpg

Year Walk

A short little horror adventure that takes a lot from Scandinavian folklore, but weaves an interesting tale with little dialogue, oddities, and strange atmosphere. Mostly a puzzle-solving game, but with definite horror themes and moments.

header_292x136.jpg

Outlast

If you don't mind nudity and gore everywhere, a fun little found footage grindhouse horror-type game where you run from insane human(?) psychos in a dark mental asylum. Been talked a lot about, it's good, maybe not as scary as it thinks it is (in my opinion, great atmosphere at the starts that wanes from repetition later in), but still a rather excellent little horror game if you like grindhouse stuff.

header_292x136.jpg

Among the Sleep

Maybe a little expensive right now as it's about a 2-4 hour long game, but has amazing sound design, an interesting premise, and a unique style in this half walking simulator/half avoiding horror game where you play as a Toddler faced with some surreal horror that is in his house. Well designed, and a fun ride.

header_292x136.jpg

Kentucky Route Zero

Not really horror, but some similar vibes/atmosphere/progression, a surreal mid-American tale of a man who finds strangeness deep in the middle of nowhere. Episodic, 3 out of 5 episodes out, releases slowly, but excellent stuff.

header_292x136.jpg

Typing of the Dead: Overkill

Fuck fuck FUCK, type those mother-fucking zombies to obliteration. A typing game with zombies, a lot of cussing, and a grindhouse ham-fest galore storyline, but good fun for those who want something ridiculous and typing fun with zombies and B-flair.

header_292x136.jpg

Killing Floor

Fun co-op action-horror game, one of my personal favorite arena-based games, and a staple of Steam multiplayer shenanigans. Kill a lot of Zeds, earn dosh, get guns, kill more Zeds. Rinse, repeat, it's challenging and addicting at times, and a lot of fun with friends.

header_292x136.jpg

Slender: The Arrival

My personal favorite Slender-type game, though a huge love it/hate it game, very different from other slender-type games (part of the reason I love it). Basically a found-footage horror film in game form, kind of short and the best parts are the additional content (the secret level...).

header_292x136.jpg

Eversion

PRESS X TO EVERT!! (go in blind, if possible)

header_292x136.jpg

Damned

Slow and not for everyone (I have friends who really like this game and others who think it's dull as hell, for example), but a multiplayer horror game where four people play as humans collecting keys to open doors, and one plays as a monster hunting them down. Multiplayer-only game, but some fun for a few romps, and still improving.

----

...There's a lot more but some off-the-top mentions, hope a few suggestions are good for you.

Arthea

//N.P.P.D. RUSH//- The milk of Ultraviolet got cards, don't know how long ago, I just now noticed.

edited:
that's one nice list, Dusk Golem, and diverse!

Alright, so this is in no order but how I remember them, I'll try to get a few good horror games out of the way, but if you ever want more obscure or just more examples with some pros and cons, just ask.

You should make a thread with horror game recommendations. Would be really nice to have in my opinion. Could also be linked in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom