• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still play the first Witcher. It doesn't like the aspect ratio/resolution I use though, and I get these nasty screen-tear-like lines in the screen at a couple places because of it. It's consistent. And weird. I guess I might put up with a non-native res just to avoid it though.

Can I ask if the first Witcher is available on Steam/GOG?

I haven't played the first one yet and I'm reluctant to start the second part because of it. I'm unusually finicky about this. Unless I finished the previous parts of a series, I can't seem to get my mind off it. Unless the series' story is just loosely based upon each other. Example: Final Fantasy series.

It's available on both GOG and steam and I think that the story is connected because you can use the save of the first game when you play the second.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's available on both GOG and steam and I think that the story is connected because you can use the save of the first game when you play the second.

It's also worth noting that if you buy The Witcher 1/2 on Steam you can register the keys on GOG, so in essence you're getting two versions for the price of one.

Teppic

Can I ask what type of horror game it is. Is it an FPS like Fear or something else? I personally like games like Fatal Frame (If you know it) where you scavenge for items in a big old mansion in search for clues on your adventure.
It's like an point and click adventure without pointing and clicking. It's not extremely scary, but it has many "OH SHIT!" moments and a good story with great characters and a lot of choices you can make.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also before I go to bed, some quick thoughts on a horror game releasing on Steam on July 31st, Pineview Drive.

header_292x136.jpg

So I only got some brief time with a demo build of it for a horror site and I decided to play a tad as I'm curious, but not play too much as I actually want to play it fully when it comes out without knowing too much. As such, these impressions are brief and not based on a whole experience, but a beginning part.

But I think this game is going to find a cult audience. When I first heard of it, I was kind of worried it'd be some super buggy lame jump-scare mess or something, but it's quite the opposite really.

The game apparently has a day system, where you have 30 days to do... Something. I'm not quite sure what, the demo build is in German (full game has English and German), but what I can say is the store page says the area opens up more, little by little, as the nights go by.

On that same front, this is a tricky game. It really does have a heavy atmosphere, and seems to have a firm understanding of what makes a cold, isolated atmosphere where you feel alone, but doesn't become dull through intrigue. At least early on, this all could change definitely later.

The game apparently has a system where it monitors the player to see how they react to moments in the game and changes elements of the game based on player reaction. Things like keyboard and mouse strokes at certain parts, if you stay in an area for too long, if you rush past something, etc. I don't know how it works for the game as I didn't play enough of it to really see it or realize it was doing something in-game with this, but it sounds interesting. And on that front, the game had a few decent creepy element things during the beginning.

I'm not quite sure why I'm writing this as this seems like one of those games I should play in English and judge based on the whole experience, a single beginning part would be like reading the first few pages of a Lovecraft novel and judging it from that, as it's kind of slow and a lot of its elements at least sound like they'll be put into play more later into the game. However, for now I can say the game definitely has my interests. I would say the developer has a good concept of 'imagery' horror, by which I mean a fixation on small yet creepy pieces of imagery that by itself is creepy, and then subtle things that put you a bit on edge while not really fully scaring you, at least yet.

I guess I mainly want to bring up this game and say it at least didn't seem like crap, I'm actually more excited for it now, but I guess I'll have to see how things fold out in the game as with the sort of ambitions the game has it could fall apart later into the game, but I hope not.

Deques

Okay, but just because I love you guys. I edited the post above with the new final image. I think that puts us at or over 60 avatars on the train now! I can't possibly keep adding more though as I am getting really tired.

Do you need to own a game to add artwork to the tab? I want to upload that to the steam artwork tab haha

What's going on with Aquaria?
Bit Blot no longer exists. Derek Yu (who worked on that game) went to make Spelunky HD afterwards and it's 99.999% sure the team won't get together again to make Aquaria 2.
And Aquaria ended with a cliffhanger and a "To Be Continued" just after a perfect closure on the game.

The salt in the sea is because of my tears.

Grief.exe

Nothing, I think. Hence the sadness.

Nothing, but that's the point. Alec and Derek went their separate ways following its release.

Bit Blot no longer exists. Derek Yu (who worked on that game) went to make Spelunky HD afterwards and it's 99.999% sure the team won't get together again to make Aquaria 2.
And Aquaria ended with a cliffhanger and a "To Be Continued" just after a perfect closure on the game.

The salt in the sea is because of my tears.

A deep sadness washes over Robert.

This is just a warm up.

Later today if I remember to, I am going to give away a dirty bomb closed beta key (I think I might have 2 or maybe even 3 left).

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gun Monkeys -- MB-F4BCF28C6A837FDE

t1406625655z1.png

Find this game a home. IDC if you keep it or give it away again.

Later tonight when I am waiting for hearthstone to release the second naxx wing I will probably do the dirty bomb code. So that is pretty late... around 11-12midnight pdt.

all right then, by exclusive i don't know if you meant PC only or stuff you can't get with your consoles so i'll just go with the latter since it makes more sense (also by Wii i suppose you don't mean Wii U)
i don't know if you are looking to play other stuff but i'll just make a couple of suggestions to get you started in a few genres :

awesome post dude. Some really good stuff in there.

I thought you were forced to have a male and female protagonist in Original Sin.

You can have two female protagonist?

GOTY.

Yup and it's awesome. You can change anything related to the two protagonists.

Saty

Can't understand why there are still Steam games coming out that don't include cloud saving. That should be the #1 Steamworks feature to implement.

anastef

Probably, was related to DirectX according to the dumps. Didn't change anything tho so...
Just checked the integrity of the files and one was missing so I hope this fixes it.

Yeah directx install every time when you download new game.Did you fix problem ?

You guys were talking about gifting a while back? I could really use A-Train 9, or Divinity, or Shadow Warrior. Probably just A9, though, since Degica's about to release Version 3.0 on Steam.

Zia

It should be considered a human right.

I know, right? My computer's in the shop right now and I'm terrified that my Dark Souls II game saves are going to poof. Don't know what I'll do if that happens. Wander America's highways, start obsessively reposting news from PS Blog. We'll see.

all right then, by exclusive i don't know if you meant PC only or stuff you can't get with your consoles so i'll just go with the latter since it makes more sense (also by Wii i suppose you don't mean Wii U)
i don't know if you are looking to play other stuff but i'll just make a couple of suggestions to get you started in a few genres :[...]
I'll stop there now.
That's very informative Robert! Thanks.

Sad that Halo 2 got banned. He was very nice and also made avatars for lots of members by request. Wonder whose alt he was.

JakeD

cloud saving has hurt me more than it's helped me. it's great as long as it doesn't bury the local file deep in userdata, so i can easily keep it backed up manually

do we have an OT for the Yummy client?

I know, right? My computer's in the shop right now and I'm terrified that my Dark Souls II game saves are going to poof. Don't know what I'll do if that happens. Wander America's highways, start obsessively reposting news from PS Blog. We'll see.

DSII doesn't have cloud saves? Something similar happened to me but it was with The Witcher, I'm not coming back to it anytime soon because of the lack of cloud saving.

Arthea

There are some unclaimed games here still
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123131642&postcount=17836

Wishful thinking that it could come earlier in a super surprising twist?

That would be nice, but it's not going to happen. :(

Xseed plans to release it this winter, if possible, but they planned to release FC last winter and we all know how that went.
I think spring is earliest we can hope for, more likely is summer release, pessimistic one would be autumn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom