• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope you guys who's planning to idling over night has free electricity :p And a working fire alarm.

The point behind using SAM /the app id trick to idle is that you don't need to download any data or actually run the game. There'd be no measurable difference between leaving your PC running for a week and running it for a week while using SAM/a launcher to idle.

Beelzebubs

Love seeing all the work that goes into stuff like this, keep it up jshackles! Haven't read up too much on what you've been doing in the Steam thread the last 50 or so pages so didn't know you were doing a standalone exe. Thought you were trying to do it with the browser extension.

Really, great stuff man!

Knurek

Eventually I'll be replacing the SAM executable all together with my own application that just allows you to idle.

Can you add a function that will reset playtime after idling?
Yes, it's stored serverside, but maybe there are some exploits that would work here? Sending negative time values, etc?

Arthea

I am not familiar with this Space Rangers HD game that was just randomly mentioned a few times.

Do I need to be sold on this?

totally! although I haven't played HD remake yet, the game is real deal!
It's probably the best game of this kind, as in I'm not sure there is another game of this kind, although someone might say Star Control, I don't think it's the same thing at all!

Tizoc

If I only redeem the Humongous Entertainment Complete Pack, that means I get all 28/27 games and the other keys become spares correct?

FloatOn

Taking a half day at work today for my sisters graduation. This should allow me some extra game time this afternoon as well.

I can't decide if I want to keep plugging away at dead space 2 or man up and play dark souls 2 dlc.

Dr Dogg

jshackles have you though about the AppID trick? You could cut SAM out altogether. Might be a hassle finding a game everyone owns and has installed though.

I hope you guys who's planning to idling over night has free electricity :p And a working fire alarm.

I don't think I've turned my main PC off in about 2 months and that was only to clean it. Those boot times and processes starting up waste valuable seconds of productivity!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can you add a function that will reset playtime after idling?
Yes, it's stored serverside, but maybe there are some exploits that would work here? Sending negative time values, etc?

Unfortunately no. That would definitely be the holy grail of an application like this.

jshackles have you though about the AppID trick? You could cut SAM out altogether. Might be a hassle finding a game everyone owns and has installed though.

That's precisely the issue. To start another game with the AppID trick, the code would need to be configured with the full path of the exe and would have to have permission to write to that game's directory. The code to terminate the process also has to be given the process name (which could be different, depending on the game). Right now SAM is the best bet. I understand not everyone wants to use it, considering it's original purpose, so I'm planning on writing another app to work in conjunction with this one that simply takes a single argument (an AppID) and simulates you being in-game for as long as that process is running.

Using node-steam it should be lightweight, portable, and not rely on the .NET framework like SAM does.

Turfster

You guys like Sherlock Holmes, right? Have a 23 minute trailer.

Also, Games Planet started their summer sale. Their prices are weirdly split between the UK and mainland EU, tho.
(Also, if it has a download size listed, it's not a Steam key apparently)
Steam key dailies:
  • SR4 Uncut 75% off
  • Tropico 5 33-49% off
  • Skyrim 75% off
  • CoD Ghosts 50% off
  • GRID 2 Reloaded 66% off
  • Alan Wake 85% off
  • Rome Total War Collection 66% off
  • Europa Universalis IV Digital Extreme Edition 75% off
  • Titan Quest Gold 75% off

Teppic

The point behind using SAM /the app id trick to idle is that you don't need to download any data or actually run the game. There'd be no measurable difference between leaving your PC running for a week and running it for a week while using SAM/a launcher to idle.
Oh, I see. I though you needed to start the games which would have increased the cost. I'm still interested in how much it costs to have a computer on overnight.

what?

notsureifserious.jpg

it's the same as if you leave your computer on over night. If idling games is causing your computer to overheat, you might need to clean it out.
Accidents can happen. Probably less likely when you're not using much of it's power and clean it out regularly. I just don't like to take chances. Heard a few stories when families have died in a fire because their kid left their laptop on overnight.

wilflare

jshackles, that new app/exe is what I'll use. maybe I should really get back to idling.

would be great if you can get SAM out of the picture though - so we don't get into trouble w Steam (if Valve decides to mess people up) or Playfire

---
and is anyone having issues w Enhanced Steam? am I the only one where it's getting errors... guess I should really change back to Chrome Beta/Stable

I am not familiar with this Space Rangers HD game that was just randomly mentioned a few times.

It's probably the best game of this kind, as in I'm not sure there is another game of this kind, although someone might say Star Control, I don't think it's the same thing at all!

I agree with Arthea, and it is unique in that it crosses a number of seemingly disparate genres, ranging from RTS to text adventure to 2D arcade shooter. The main portion of the game plays out as a sort of turn-based Elite set against the background of a "living" galaxy at war, seasoned with the kind of twisted humour that only a Russian dev can produce. The best comment about the game I saw recently (stolen from another forum):

[...] And what other computer games do you take time out from hunting genocidal robots in a turn-based RPG-like environment to apply Boolean logic and perhaps higher-level algebra to one-off quests. I'll never forget that dang quest where I had to play strip poker with the 70-year old secretary to secure the Top Secret documents for one of my benefactors!

From the current price I would say it is definitely worth a punt if you think you might be remotely interested.

Oh, I see. I though you needed to start the games which would have increased the cost. I'm still interested in how much it costs to have a computer on overnight.

I don't know the exactly numbers, but it's pretty negligible. I have my laptop and my desktop running over night and haven't noticed a change in my bill.

I mean, we're talking like $10 a year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Two Tribes just announced its new game: Rive, a 2D action-platformer. Releases next year but will be playable at Gamescom.

Double

So... you don't need to have the game installed?!

Dr Dogg

You know you're becoming a tight arse when you're deliberating over saving a £1 by using a trader or not. That and none of the ones I use are online.

That's precisely the issue. To start another game with the AppID trick, the code would need to be configured with the full path of the exe and would have to have permission to write to that game's directory. The code to terminate the process also has to be given the process name (which could be different, depending on the game). Right now SAM is the best bet. I understand not everyone wants to use it, considering it's original purpose, so I'm planning on writing another app to work in conjunction with this one that simply takes a single argument (an AppID) and simulates you being in-game for as long as that process is running.

Using node-steam it should be lightweight, portable, and not rely on the .NET framework like SAM does.

Ah nice. I don't know if you saw my post a while back but having this rolled into Enhanced Steam could offer some great flexibly directly from the page. You could have a push to idle button but I get the feeling Valve might not be too keen on that or you could use the amount of sorting features available like titles with most amount of drops remaining first or go by title with highest market value first.

FUCK CENTIPEDES...

Indeed, sir... indeed.

Its really weird that Alfred in Batman Arkham Orange look more Asian than he is British..

racist1.gif

kip_yes.gif

Up for grabs if anyone wants it

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KillerDark, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bioshock -- MB-E55F1384B60CF677 - Taken by Easy_D

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ah nice. I don't know if you saw my post a while back but having this rolled into Enhanced Steam could offer some great flexibly directly from the page. You could have a push to idle button but I get the feeling Valve might not be too keen on that or you could use the amount of sorting features available like titles with most amount of drops remaining first or go by title with highest market value first.

I probably won't be tying this in directly with Enhanced Steam, but I am actually working on sorting the idling order by the "most valuable first" using the same database and methods that Enhanced Steam uses to sort the badges page.

Terra_Ex

I agree with Arthea, and it is unique in that it crosses a number of seemingly disparate genres, ranging from RTS to text adventure to 2D arcade shooter. The main portion of the game plays out as a sort of turn-based Elite set against the background of a "living" galaxy at war, seasoned with the kind of twisted humour that only a Russian dev can produce. The best comment about the game I saw recently (stolen from another forum):

From the current price I would say it is definitely worth a punt if you think you might be remotely interested.

Just to pile on, yeah the game is definitely worth it, sorta reminds me of a cross between Mount and Blade and FTL with some optional RTS stuff thrown in. I've spent almost 50 hours on it so far and am nowhere close to finishing, easily worth it at the current price. It's one of those games that many people will ignore because the screenshots don't do it justice, but once you get into it, it's so good. It's sad that GAF has pretty much disregarded it.

Counting down the hours till Trails now.

Arthea

Exactly. That is the beauty of it. You don't need to download and install the games.

That's not the beauty of it, we already can do that, using Jasec's trick, but with this method, we don't need change games we idle, it's basically fully automatic idling, dream of any card hoarder (><)

oupi

That's not the beauty of it, we already can do that, using Jasec's trick, but with this method, we don't need change games we idle, it's basically fully automatic idling, dream of any card hoarder (><)

I didn't mean jshackles's new script but I rather tried to explain the point of idling (SAM) to Double.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The amazing thing about the automatic idling rotation thing is that no one has done it yet. Like, the code I wrote yesterday is something I wrote in like 20 minutes because I read other people talk about it and thought "wow that would be kind of neat" and I'm not even a particularly good programmer.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

What's JaseC's trick?

The amazing thing about the automatic idling rotation thing is that no one has done it yet. Like, the code I wrote yesterday is something I wrote in like 20 minutes because I read other people talk about it and thought "wow that would be kind of neat" and I'm not even a particularly good programmer.

I can't believe no one had. I wish you had made it before today though. I woke up to my new set of Space Hulk and Rhythm Destruction cards, only to realize....I have no more games to idle. What purpose do i have now? Do i need to actually play these things now?

Nothing will happen.

Use it unlock achievements tied to Playfire and report back.

That really is amazing. We've been bitching about the numerous games to idle since this started....and before yesterday-ish, had anyone thought about it?

You guys are really awesome.

Dr Dogg

I probably won't be tying this in directly with Enhanced Steam, but I am actually working on sorting the idling order by the "most valuable first" using the same database and methods that Enhanced Steam uses to sort the badges page.

Hahaha yeah understood. Oh on a side note is your Patreon drive still going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom