• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm such a dork.

I've no interest in idling for card drops as my real game-time clock for each title in my library is far more valuable information for me than the return from selling cards for pennies.

It's fun to track how much time I actually spend with each game.

I get where you are coming from, but I think you are understating the profit from cards. Since inception (or since ES has tracked it), my 'market sales' is roughly $100. And I have no where near as many games as some of the people here.

In the Steam world we live in...that's a shitton of games.

I'm such a dork.

I've no interest in idling for card drops as my real game-time clock for each title in my library is far more valuable information for me than the return from selling cards for pennies.

It's fun to track how much time I actually spend with each game.

This isn't even accurate for my account, but, yeah, I totally wish I knew how much time I spent playing Rogue Legacy... for real... instead of having this:
Market Transactions
Purchase total:$6.50
Sales total:$118.77
Net gain:$112.27

But hey, to each his own. :D

Yeah I did it, it doesn't really mean much unless you become Steam Market rich or something and are making thousands.

Cool. Yeah, i just went ahead and did it, i assumed it was going to be way more of a process then it ended up being.

So, i know its all about TiTs today, but there is another game i'm genuinely curious about. It sounds like it could actually be a great couch competitive game when it hits.
header_292x136.jpg

The art style doesn't do much, but the actual game mechanics sound like they could make for a really fun game if they don't charge a lot. Its on my radar for today, and once this and Necrodancer are out tomorrow, if i still got money to spare, i may jump on this.

Hugstable

Banned
This isn't even accurate for my account, but, yeah, I totally wish I knew how much time I spent playing Rogue Legacy... for real... instead of having this:

hehe yeah, my brother didn't want his cards and never idled them, and I ended up getting Dead Rising 3, Teslagrad and now Trails in the Sky out of it :D. It did take a good 4-5 days of constant idling though -___-

wilflare

jshackles, that new app/exe is what I'll use. maybe I should really get back to idling.

would be great if you can get SAM out of the picture though - so we don't get into trouble w Steam (if Valve decides to mess people up) or Playfire

---
and is anyone having issues w Enhanced Steam? am I the only one where it's getting errors... guess I should really change back to Chrome Beta/Stable

anyone? I can't be the only chap right? :/

hehe yeah, my brother didn't want his cards and never idled them, and I ended up getting Dead Rising 3, Teslagrad and now Trails in the Sky out of it :D. It did take a good 4-5 days of constant idling though -___-

I idle every time something's added now that I've caught up.
This way I don't get behind and really need something like JShackle's script (though it seems useful!).
Also, this way I get to the market sometimes before card prices totally flatline.
I highly suggest you idle your TitS today and get selling. If it has 8+ card drops and they're animu, they should sell pretty high considering the game is going to be ~$20 at launch.

--

I can't remove things from my wishlist currently... is anyone else having this problem?

pahamrick

0 card drops remaining
0 games with drops remaining
129 games eligible for booster packs

Me thinks Enhanced Steam is broken for me regarding this info, because I've got at least 40 card drops remaining.

Not enough for me to get Trails probably, so I haven't bothered idling yet.

Articalys

Too bad you can't track your overall net balance of card sales from games less how much in total it cost to buy those games. I wonder if anyone here would have a positive balance for that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not going to start on the "list-train" but I've got all the trading cards from 319 games now and have sold them for a total of $332. Granted, a few of those were when the program was still in beta and cards were worth a lot more than they are now.
Like, I got over $8 for my Gun Monkeys cards when the game was first released.
I've also had a bit of an advantage as I always use Enhanced Steam to determine which games have cards that are worth the most and idle those first, before their value goes down.

I'll gladly trade my play time tracking for the ability to buy more games, but I also understand those who wouldn't. I mean, the idea for most people is that if you buy a game, you plan on playing it eventually anyway so the cards will trickle in by themselves.

Aaron D.

I get to be Captain America!

I get where you are coming from, but I think you are understating the profit from cards. Since inception (or since ES has tracked it), my 'market sales' is roughly $100. And I have no where near as many games as some of the people here.

In the Steam world we live in...that's a shitton of games.

For sure.

No judgement implied either way.

Looks like a great opportunity for the right audiences.

So, i know its all about TiTs today, but there is another game i'm genuinely curious about. It sounds like it could actually be a great couch competitive game when it hits.
[IMG of Mount Your Friends]
The art style doesn't do much, but the actual game mechanics sound like they could make for a really fun game if they don't charge a lot. Its on my radar for today, and once this and Necrodancer are out tomorrow, if i still got money to spare, i may jump on this.

I have owned the Xbox Live Indie Games copy of this game for a year or so and the only game I run more often at parties is Rock Band.

Mount Your Friends is fantastic. From both a gameplay and novelty view.

Too bad you can't track your overall net balance of card sales from games less how much in total it cost to buy those games. I wonder if anyone here would have a positive balance for that.

I don't think anyone would, though you could conceivably do it if you somehow got the bundles fast enough to be first to market with the cards and someone buys them at reasonable prices before the market for them crashes.

The real point is it's a way to subsidize your spending.

If you buy a bundle for $3 to get a few games you want or whatever and idle all games with cards, selling them for $1.50 total, your real cost to buy that bundle is now $1.50.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
anyone? I can't be the only chap right? :/

You're the only one so far that's reported issues like that. I've been trying to track the issue down but have so far been unsuccessful. In the next version of Enhanced Steam the API / highlighting code is greatly improved an handles these errors a bit more gracefully. Hopefully these issues subside when it's released.

I can't remove things from my wishlist currently... is anyone else having this problem?

Valve changed their server-side code and it's causing Enhanced Steam's AJAX remove to not work correctly. Remember when the page would reload every time you remove something from your wishlist?
Oh wait, it still happens like that without Enhanced Steam :)
It'll be fixed in the next version. In the mean time you can either temporarily disable Enhanced Steam, or you can remove the game from the game's store page which should still work.

Me thinks Enhanced Steam is broken for me regarding this info, because I've got at least 40 card drops remaining.

Not enough for me to get Trails probably, so I haven't bothered idling yet.

Must be a bug. Just a shot in the dark, but what language is your Steam page in? If you change the language to English does it work correctly?

Anteater

Those Last of us photo mode screenshots remind me of silent hill so much, mostly because of the stylized character modeling and grain filter, it's sad we didn't get a new team silent game this gen, Silent hill 3 was like some kind of black magic.

pahamrick

Must be a bug. Just a shot in the dark, but what language is your Steam page in? If you change the language to English does it work correctly?

It's already in English. :) I tried clearing the cached data, cleared cookies and re-logged in and it didn't fix it. Not sure what else could be causing it.

jshackles

It's already in English. :) I tried clearing the cached data, cleared cookies and re-logged in and it didn't fix it. Not sure what else could be causing it.

Strange indeed. If you press Ctrl+Shift+J (all at once) on this page, do you see any errors in the console? Feel free to PM me those if so and I'll try to get it figured out.

yuraya

Hitman Contracts
Hitman Blood Money
Hitman Sniper Challenge

I wish

I think Blood Money is a sure bet. Don't know about Contracts tho. They seem to always separate that one from the rest of the crew for whatever reason.

I think some other good ones they can do are.

Last Remnant
Sleeping Dogs
Tomb Raider
Final Fantasy VII and VIII

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, as of yesterday, WB has one year to provide the USPTO with documents attesting to the use the Wheelman trademark or it'll be rescinded, although there's also a six-month "grace period". I hope my faith hasn't been misplaced. ;)

My question is how hard is it to sell cards? I've never done it before but I see like hundreds of people selling the same cards on the marketplace.

Its very easy but now is a really bad time to do it. You want to save them until there is a crafting event like the summer sale. Thats when people go nuts buying cards and disregard all logic when it comes to purchase prices.

Dr Dogg

http://i.imgur.com/Bx7JxCY.png?1[IMG]

steam pls[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know your pain. Thankfully Gmail's tags are there to save the day. I've got a folder for Steam Market stuff and have them auto archive and go in there now out of the way.

Edit: And beaten.

Articalys

I don't think anyone would, though you could conceivably do it if you somehow got the bundles fast enough to be first to market with the cards and someone buys them at reasonable prices before the market for them crashes.

The real point is it's a way to subsidize your spending.

If you buy a bundle for $3 to get a few games you want or whatever and idle all games with cards, selling them for $1.50 total, your real cost to buy that bundle is now $1.50.
Yeah, I guess so. Considering that I'm pretty much the opposite of all the big collectors here, it's not like I'm missing out on some net windfall from card profits, since I'm not spending a ton of money on games in the first place either.

Though I do wonder what's the closest someone has reasonably gotten to that break-even number, though. Recoup 50% of their expenses? 60%? More?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of PossumMeat, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PossumMeat, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Landmark Closed Beta -- MB-094363A53C89154D - Taken by someguyinahat. 6 entrants total.

t1406651335z1.png

Ruruja

530 card drops remaining
167 games with drops remaining
82 games eligible for booster packs
Worth Approximately £36.22

I never saw that part of EnhancedSteam before, pretty cool jshack.

Knurek

Steam Achievement Manager (I don't have the link).
Don't use it to unlock achievements, it will end poorly for you.

Unless you're using Playfire (or any other third-party website that equals money with Steam achievs), or playing a VAC-proteted game, there's no risk with unlocking achievements with SAM.
Really.
Seriously, the amount of hate some GAFfers have for a useful tool like SAM is weird. Especially considering there's no Steam-score related to achievs, like PSN or XBL have...

Dr Dogg

Well here's and interesting challenge I've ended up setting myself. Can I install and beat The Room before Trails get's a Add to Cart button and finishes installing?

Unless you're using Playfire (or any other third-party website that equals money with Steam achievs), or playing a VAC-proteted game, there's no risk with unlocking achievements with SAM.
Really.
Seriously, the amount of hate some GAFfers have for a useful tool like SAM is weird. Especially considering there's no Steam-score related to achievs, like PSN or XBL have...

My reasons for not using SAM is that when when I reset my Sleepy Dawgs achievements it messed up the schema and also deleted all the icons for them as well. Plus it didn't help that a fair few of them were community challenge tied so a lot of then reunlocked the moment I started the game. I has it's uses, like if you didn't want to play the MP of a game but wanted a perfect game or in my case to reachieve everything again. The ethics and PlayFire arguments are a different story and one I'm not going to get into.

jshackles

Should I be worried?

1487 card drops remaining
399 games with drops remaining
92 games eligible for booster packs
Worth Approximately 145,50€

No but you should totally check out this script I'm working on ;)

Little update on my quest to use my tablet for games.

First up, Hearthstone works extremely well on the Dell Venue 8 Pro natively. Not surprising given that it's on the iPad too obviously, but after playing a couple of hours of it I'm happy to report that the touch controls work wonderfully in Windows 8.1 too. So that's good.

Unfortunately, my efforts to stream Divinity have been a bit clunkier. The streaming is actually great, even with a 1.6GHz Intel Atom and 32mb Intel GPU it still decodes the stream fast enough. The problem is that Windows translates a single point touch to a cursor movement in applications which don't have native touch support, so you have to rapidly double-tap on the screen or slide to a point in order to left-click a particular spot. It's possible to play like that, but it's pretty annoying.

The alternative is to get TouchMousePointer, and run it in fullscreen mode. Basically it creates a virtual mouse with a visible cursor, and converts the entire screen into a touchpad like you would have on a laptop. So instead of pointing at a spot to move the mouse, you drag your finger across the screen and the cursor moves; then left-click is single finger tap anywhere on the screen, right-click is two finger tap. The latter is great, since the default in Windows is to hold for right-click which stinks.

It's not the dream I'd hoped it would be, but I'll keep at it. Next test is plugging my 360 controller in and playing some pew-pew games.

Lunaniem

So, as of yesterday, WB has one year to provide the USPTO with documents attesting to the use the Wheelman trademark or it'll be rescinded, although there's also a six-month "grace period". I hope my faith hasn't been misplaced. ;)

You should be hired as WB's official representative of Wheelman.

ModBot said:
Instructions for PrematureQuiche:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PrematureQuiche, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Room -- MB-49D0FEC81CED0DF6 - Taken by GaussTek. 43 entrants total.
Sakura Spirit -- MB-7CE07739899B2B0D - Taken by cardinalmind. 47 entrants total.

t1406658896z1.png

good luck!

_hekk05

Banned
Really.

Mostly because there's precedent where someone claims to only use it to idle, but end up using it to cheat playfire.

I've called some of them out. The rest I hope they give up on it.

Hugstable

Banned
I idle every time something's added now that I've caught up.
This way I don't get behind and really need something like JShackle's script (though it seems useful!).
Also, this way I get to the market sometimes before card prices totally flatline.
I highly suggest you idle your TitS today and get selling. If it has 8+ card drops and they're animu, they should sell pretty high considering the game is going to be ~$20 at launch.

--

Do you think the card prices will drop harshly if I don't start idling til one hour after release? I got a doctor appointment today just 15 minutes before TiTS it out, so will probably be an hour late in idling my cards. Hopefully with 8 drops though and if they sell at 40 cents minimum, that will be awesome money made back from the game. I love Steam Cards, in many ways it's like a rewards program, only I usually get way more money from Steam Cards than I do other rewards programs.

Divius

4 card drops remaining
1 games with drops remaining
80 games eligible for booster packs

When did they add cards to Shank 2? :eek: Must have been today.

I guess I should really look into this idling thing... not sure where to start though:

292 card drops remaining
72 games with drops remaining
22 games eligible for booster packs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom