• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm too lazy to idle that much. That's sad.

But are you too lazy to start a program before you go to bed and wake up with a boatload of trading cards in your inventory? Because that's what I did last night and it was glorious.

Dr Dogg

Little update on my quest to use my tablet for games.

First up, Hearthstone works extremely well on the Dell Venue 8 Pro natively. Not surprising given that it's on the iPad too obviously, but after playing a couple of hours of it I'm happy to report that the touch controls work wonderfully in Windows 8.1 too. So that's good.

Unfortunately, my efforts to stream Divinity have been a bit clunkier. The streaming is actually great, even with a 1.6GHz Intel Atom and 32mb Intel GPU it still decodes the stream fast enough. The problem is that Windows translates a single point touch to a cursor movement in applications which don't have native touch support, so you have to rapidly double-tap on the screen or slide to a point in order to left-click a particular spot. It's possible to play like that, but it's pretty annoying.

The alternative is to get TouchMousePointer, and run it in fullscreen mode. Basically it creates a virtual mouse with a visible cursor, and converts the entire screen into a touchpad like you would have on a laptop. So instead of pointing at a spot to move the mouse, you drag your finger across the screen and the cursor moves; then left-click is single finger tap anywhere on the screen, right-click is two finger tap. The latter is great, since the default in Windows is to hold for right-click which stinks.

It's not the dream I'd hoped it would be, but I'll keep at it. Next test is plugging my 360 controller in and playing some pew-pew games.

I've just had a quick gander at a Dell Venue 8 Pro. I had no idea they were so cheap. Though lack of concrete GPU info (even on Intel's site) and looking like shipping with a 32bit OS has got me wondering the viability of any native use for me.. Though from your impressions it sounds like a great streaming device albeit with a few control kinks to work out. Look forward to the updates.

probably not

Well I'm going to gun it regardless!

Knurek

Mostly because there's precedent where someone claims to only use it to idle, but end up using it to cheat playfire.

I've called some of them out. The rest I hope they give up on it.

This is weird as well? Are you working for Playfire? If so, just ban the accounts that go against the EULA.
If not, then seriously, what's your beef? Have you never gotten a game from a Russian trader? Never used a discount error deal?
Never entered IDDQD or DNKROZ?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
But are you too lazy to start a program before you go to bed and wake up with a boatload of trading cards in your inventory? Because that's what I did last night and it was glorious.

Do all the games have to be installed for your script to work?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do all the games have to be installed for your script to work?

Nope, you just have to have Steam open and signed in.

Where is the code?

Hopefully to-be-released later this afternoon. I'm building my own idling application using SteamKit rather than relying on SAM. Then I'll compile the python script into it's own executable and hopefully be able to make the installation and setup as painless as possible.

I wonder if there is a way to exclude certain games? Like I still have a card drop for speedrunners, so I wouldn't (ideally) want such a thing to waste its time idling speedrunners, considering I'm bound to actually play it within the next few days.

jshackles

Could you get in trouble with Steam by using this idling script?

I don't think so. It's essentially the same thing as idling your games using SAM, which a lot of people have done since the trading card beta and to my knowledge nobody has gotten in trouble for.

Why is enhanced steam showing me 0 card drops remaining? I'm looking at like over 50 games in the list that say 5 card drops remaining.

It seems to be a bug that I'm trying to track down.

No. Bad NingenJanai.
Do we have to have that talk again?

I was joking, just joking...
:(

Ag17HXN.gif

Do you think the card prices will drop harshly if I don't start idling til one hour after release? I got a doctor appointment today just 15 minutes before TiTS it out, so will probably be an hour late in idling my cards. Hopefully with 8 drops though and if they sell at 40 cents minimum, that will be awesome money made back from the game. I love Steam Cards, in many ways it's like a rewards program, only I usually get way more money from Steam Cards than I do other rewards programs.

They shouldn't unless someone is a giant jerk and comes along and lists something hovering around $0.40+ at $0.15 or lower just to sell it. :3

good luck!

Nice giveaway, Quiche!

Could you get in trouble with Steam by using this idling script?

No.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished my Mirror's Edge replay . Still one of the more remarkable games in recent memory. Few games have impressed me this much visually since then, and the game is 5 years old already.

Dr Dogg

1 down 4 (and the Epilogue?) to go!

Every time someone mentions The Room, I get my hopes up that Konami is putting the Silent Hill games on Steam.

If 2, 3 and 4 all weren't in royalty and dead developer purgatory I would have thought we would have seen them by now. I was watching a copy of 2 on eBay a while back after Dusk mentioned the series and it end up going for £60 or more. Yeah I'm not quite that crazy.

kudoboi

i really wished there was a demo for the room. i'm gonna hold off from buying it just because i don't know if i will like this sort of games.

Thanks for the advice. Why do you think that's case?

Right now there isn't a huge demand for cards. People might buy some to get a steam level or craft a badge but more cards just sit idle in the market place unless they are rock bottom. The general steam population isn't interested. Once card crafting gets tied to a reward or a contest, then most steam users start buying cards in order to win or to get some exclusive time limited thing. Supply drives up and then cards start selling for 2 or 3 times their normal price.

Also you don't want to list them and wait. The way steam market place works, the newest listing sells first.

Completed Transistor now, utterly fantastic game, really loved it. The music, gameplay, art were all fantastic, absolutely loved it. Not sure when I'll do NG+, want to give some time to something else first.

wilflare

Nope, you just have to have Steam open and signed in.

Hopefully to-be-released later this afternoon. I'm building my own idling application using SteamKit rather than relying on SAM. Then I'll compile the python script into it's own executable and hopefully be able to make the installation and setup as painless as possible.

I'm really looking forward to this :D
can't wait to try it out! :D

(and I tried using a new Profile :/ tried changing to Beta channel - doesn't work either... not sure what's going on anymore :/)

Finished my Mirror's Edge replay . Still one of the more remarkable games in recent memory. Few games have impressed me this much visually since then, and the game is 5 years old already.

There is this strange pleasure on coming back to an older game, play it at maximum graphics and just enjoy the game :)

The Mirror's Edge OST is among my favorites for intense workdays.
Mirror's Edge Soundtrack

Right now there isn't a huge demand for cards. People might buy some to get a steam level or craft a badge but more cards just sit idle in the market place unless they are rock bottom. The general steam population isn't interested. Once card crafting gets tied to a reward or a contest, then most steam users start buying cards in order to win or to get some exclusive time limited thing. Supply drives up and then cards start selling for 2 or 3 times their normal price.

Also you don't want to list them and wait. The way steam market place works, the newest listing sells first.

Ok... I got it now. It makes perfect sense. I finished building my gaming PC back in February, so this Summer Sale was the first steam sale that I was involved in. I didn't have enough games and stuff to do all the crafting for badges.

How you just explained it makes a lot more sense to me now then it did during the sale. Even though my Red Team won, I was only able to contribute by buying games. :)

Egamer

Hah, just finished the game as well today. First time, finally. Visually it's really amazing.

That level in the subway - aaaaaaaaaaaah! I love it. I really hurt myself (it did feel like that) when I got hit by the metro.

Grief.exe

If 2, 3 and 4 all weren't in royalty and dead developer purgatory I would have thought we would have seen them by now. I was watching a copy of 2 on eBay a while back after Dusk mentioned the series and it end up going for £60 or more. Yeah I'm not quite that crazy.

Same here. :(

I would suggest picking up the PS2 versions and emulating them.

Not quite as good as the native pc version, but you will achieve a similar fidelity and the same gameplay.

Completed Transistor now, utterly fantastic game, really loved it. The music, gameplay, art were all fantastic, absolutely loved it. Not sure when I'll do NG+, want to give some time to something else first.

I actually had more fun in NG+ than in my first playthrough. Adjusted my abilities so I was playing the game closer to an ARPG. Only used the planning mode in the worst possible situations.

kudoboi

i'm holding off from buying transistor because i have not completed bastion and my exams is in 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom