• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblank83

Would you guys pay for a monthly Steam subscription?

If it gave similar things to PS+ like two free games a month?

No.

Why? So I can get a random selection of last year's games for "free" when I can already get exactly the ones I want cheap? So the games I get for "free" will be taken away forever if I ever stop paying the subscription fee?

No.

Also, EA can go to hell.

with all the sales and bundles I really don't see a paid subscription game rental service being liable at all on this platform

Yeah, Steam already has all the good parts of a sub service for me. For less than $60 a year I get access to an ever-growing library of games that I like. And the crazy thing about this is that they are all games that I'm interested in (since I've purchased them myself) and I get to keep them for at least as long as Steam exists. I just can't see what a sub service could offer me. I already get more games than I could possibly play for a cost of < $5 a month.

Enco

Pahahahahahha

Looks like a no. You're welcome for the market research Valve.

All good points. You guys are right in that it isn't the same as consoles and with the prices as they are, there's not much need.

Would still be interesting to see what could happen but I'm happy with the system as it is.

def sim

I pay for subs on console because online play is locked behind it. The other perks just make it an easier pill to swallow.

I'd rather not have something like that on steam.

Ban Puncher

The EA thread got me thinking. Would be interesting but we would probably end up getting some crappy indie games.

1xouX.gif

MUnited83

For you.

The EA thread got me thinking. Would be interesting but we would probably end up getting some crappy indie games.

Make it 10 games a month and more Steam Cloud space and I would bite.

Pakkidis

Who wants games?

ModBot said:
Instructions for Pakkidis:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pakkidis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Thief Gold -- MB-6F2A630DD00C2D6B
The Last Remnant -- MB-0EF77423EFB36FEA - Taken by Backlogger. 31 entrants total.
Anachronox -- MB-B1829B4190D84354 - Taken by Ifrit. 3 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Invisible War -- MB-951F6E89CD5503BE - Taken by fernandes. 6 entrants total.

t1406670956z1.png

it seemed fine to me, whats broken?

i'm not very far in at all
Significantly lower performance compared to nVidia cards, multiple graphical bugs such as flickering shadows, frequent crashes, et cetera. Maybe you can brute force it by now given its age, but it sure wasn't pretty around the time it released.

jblank83

Steam subscription, every month you pick 20 games. No takebacks. Those games are free to play.

Yeah, of course I would do this. I get to keep the games after I cancel. I would pay for one month of subscription, download all the games I want including new expensive games and preorders, then cancel the subscription immediately.

Steam isn't going to do this, though. And if you start adding a bunch of special case rules, then it becomes crap quickly.

Dawwwwwww

Jawmuncher

Tits is going to be the end of me.

I'm never going to know this boys name.
I'm always getting stuck on a black screen right after it.

AHA-Lambda

ModBot said:
Instructions for AHA-Lambda:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (AHA-Lambda, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Last Remnant (2) -- MB-4955B95035ED0188 - Taken by Vazduh
Hitman Contracts (2) -- MB-BA0A5ACD386C57F5 - Taken by darkchewie
Hitman Blood Money (1) -- MB-508FFDEAD3E1E1A2 - Taken by Shalashaska
Hitman Contracts (1) -- MB-B6281F029E8E2F7C - Taken by nightstorm
Hitman Blood Money (2) -- MB-D9883CEE0F8A09A7 - Taken by Troubled Bat
Just Cause (1) -- MB-2BF6F8F140D15C28 - Taken by adriano999
The Last Remnant (1) -- MB-C8F669F3B0AE5450 - Taken by billmcdougal
Just Cause (2) -- MB-A4A450782B1AB8BD - Taken by Alduin

There's also some spares here:

Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-DB151346FF4F981E - Taken by GrinningColossus
Hitman 2 -- MB-9F8B442C86F3F654 - Taken by Speevy
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-98E9C7464F2F1002 - Taken by Benedict

That's all, for now. The python application will pass the right parameters to this application which will put you "in-game" until the python application kills it.
Ok, so you are making an .exe, which after starting (and having steam opened and logged in) automatically starts farming for cards, without the need for further interaction? That's why a GUIis not needed? Sounds fool-proof.
Thanks guys! A month without video games, but I guess it's not uncommon on steamgaf, people spend more time talking about them than playing them here.
Ha, where're you going? Have a nice vacation!

Ventara

Do I want to buy TiTs? Seeing all the hype here, I am pondering the decision.

If you like great storytelling and a great world with lots of NPC to talk to, as well as nice turn-based combat. then I think you should.

Okay, but I don't really see why I should quote myself. Seems a little arrogant.

lol, I think he means putting quote tags around gifs.
Unless that's the joke.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
since im sure nobody but me cares, I guess Ill be your resident Firefall correspondant.

First impression: you cant leave the tutorial area lol. I can only assume the instance servers are borked from the launch, because shortly after running around a bit and choosing your class, you are supposed to get on a spaceship, game goes "mission launching in 5,4,3,2,1..." and then nothing happens, until eventually you get booted off and have to restart.

As a veteran mmo player, this doesnt surprise me in the least, but I can already imagine the crying in the forums.

From the very little I played (seriously, the whole thing up to class selection takes like 1 min), movement feels nice, love the jetpack, weapons look funky and varied between classes, and theres more classes than I expected. Im still excited to play this... when they let me :p

fenners

Space Rangers HD really looks weird, may be to 4X / all over the place for me :/

It's not 4x. It's a 2D spacey 'trade-em-up', buy resources at one planet, fly to another & sell at a profit. In between, there's top down space battles with pirates & aliens. Ship upgrades to buy, missions to go on & stuff. Think Elite, but top down.

And it's got weird text missions & RTS missions you can ignore if want me. I love the original & just bought the HD version today.

Locust

Has anyone managed to get Lost Planet 3 multiplayer to work after the Steamworks patch? Keeps crashing to desktop after it says its found a game.

Probably not even worth playing, but it's just bizarre that they went through the effort of patching out Gamespy it if it's broken anyway.

Grief.exe

PS+ is such a genius move by Sony. Not only are people willingly giving Sony money every month, but now they are tied into the ecosystem.

If Sony ever changes policy, produces a system with a poor value proposition, or stops producing worthwhile games, an individual is less likely to make the switch. If they stop paying for PS+ those games are gone forever.

since im sure nobody but me cares, I guess Ill be your resident Firefall correspondant.

First impression: you cant leave the tutorial area lol. I can only assume the instance servers are borked from the launch, because shortly after running around a bit and choosing your class, you are supposed to get on a spaceship, game goes "mission launching in 5,4,3,2,1..." and then nothing happens, until eventually you get booted off and have to restart.

As a veteran mmo player, this doesnt surprise me in the least, but I can already imagine the crying in the forums.

From the very little I played (seriously, the whole thing up to class selection takes like 1 min), movement feels nice, love the jetpack, weapons look funky and varied between classes, and theres more classes than I expected. Im still excited to play this... when they let me :p

It feels like its been years since they announced this game. I feel like its been at every PAX since i started going 3 years ago. I mean, good they finally got it done and out of beta, but it never managed to hook me.

Has anyone managed to get Lost Planet 3 multiplayer to work after the Steamworks patch? Keeps crashing to desktop after it says its found a game.

Probably not even worth playing, but it's just bizarre that they went through the effort of patching out Gamespy it if it's broken anyway.

I thought LP3 was always Steamworks...

But this sounds like what was happening to Dot and I in Injustice the other night... we'd go to Private match and when you choose 1v1, it's a CtD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom