• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
This application uses Windows hooks to send a message to the Steam application essentially saying that you're "in-game". It's functionally no different than how SAM works. If that concerns you, you'll probably want to steer clear.

I've never used SAM simply because I didn't want to jeopardize my account in any way. I know that it's supposed to be 99% safe, but I didn't want to be in that 1%.

Regardless, the work you're doing is extremely impressive.

Ventara

Damn, I missed a Shadow of Mordor giveaway? And I've been saving a gif of PrematureQuiche just for a moment like this, too.
No, I haven't.

jblank83

You don't have to run DRM on Steam if you don't want to. There are numerous games that install through Steam which can be launched straight out of the folder. There is also the oft quoted promise that if Steam goes down, Valve will take all steps necessary to enable games to be played without Steam.

Valve has not bullied anyone into using Steam only, either. There are no draconian business tactics. There are no ultimatums that you use Steam or else you face Gabe's wrath. You're free to distribute your game anywhere you want, be it GoG or Origin or Uplay or Xbox Live or Amazon or Gamestop. People aren't using Steam because they have to (Origin). They're using it because they want to.

Nor do I agree that pay for online is anything but a bad thing. Microsoft and Sony are charging you for the air you breathe, as you're almost always running multiplayer by peer-to-peer matchmaking. There are instances of server based play, however they're run by the game companies, not by the platform holder.

Throwing the end user a couple of old games that are already discounted to the bargain bin (and threatening to take all such games away if the subscription is ever interrupted even for a moment) doesn't make that a good value.

Ventara

5 keys. Which isn't that much of a discount.

It's over a 40% discount. How much were you expecting?

kTWWeiF.png

Oh, wow, nice. Might get a good price for that.

ShogunX

Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ShogunX, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Whispering Willows -- MB-BEC633BD2BD2F425 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 28 entrants total.

t1406675096z1.png

Turfster

Well at least it made for easy catching up.
"How long does this shit last? Oh, almost until the next page." *scroll*

Kingdom Rush is the Humble Bundle Store daily at 75% off

I'll ask again since most people will skip the last page:

There is a legend of old, which counts the tale of a cold man, who did a very desirable getaway, as he was mocked for his many winnings. His intentions pure, and his heart was light, but the cold man was mocked by an ancient ogre to enter his own giveaway.
The cold man saw no ill on such action, and entered.
He did with his mind and spirit clear. As the time passed by, many others entered, and the expectations were high, so when the time of collecting the prize finally came, the cold man was surprised to see his own name as the undisputed winner of his generous prize.
Everyone was surprised on the kingdom, even the masters of the site were confused.
The cold man was a victim of many townsfolk rebuttals, "it can't be" they said, "its impossible" they mustered, but the cold man remained a winner.
Even as the odds of such adventure were really low, the cold man himself claimed to be the winner of his own giveaway.

Later on, he gave the prize again.
Even as his name is no longer remembered, his is the tale of the man who bested the mighty ModBot.

Lomax

You are doing mighty good work, greatly appreciated even if most talk is about TitS or sth else. You should know.

Almost as in genuine as Valve making people prefer buying games with DRM when they are often available without it at the same time for the same price. Or hiring psychologists to find ways to make their users throw their cash at them, by exploiting psychological behaviors, e.g. summer adventure challenges/cards/foils/hats etc and people loving it.. Or making their users evidently not be interested to buy games outside of their ecosystem (and profit) e.g Desura, non-Steamworks.
I like Steam. It has serious value. But let's not kid ourselves. They basically built a monopoly by incorporating DRM. Almost everyone has to split with Valve, if they want to be successful.
Sony/MS/Nintendo do what is acceptable since the birth of modern consoles: Having complete control over their ecosystem. In fact, they add more value on top with PS+/GWG, CrossBuy. Did they do something shitty with paid MP? Yes, of course. But one should be able to see the difference: One changed a lot for the better, on top of system-wide DRM, while the other added system-wide, monopolistic DRM when it wasn't that before.

There's less DRM in pc games now than there ever has been, and more games released both on console and pc than there ever has been. The market that Valve helped create with Steam when Microsoft so thoroughly dropped the ball has enabled places like GOG, Desura, and the like to even exist when they otherwise would not. And don't pretend there wasn't always a retail split beforehand, usually an even bigger one than the 30% that Valve gets.

PS+ is a great value and they've done a great job with it, but the reality is that it does tie you into that ecosystem far more so than Steam ever could. Microsoft tried to impose console ideas onto the PC world and failed, maybe if they had presented a system more similar to PS+ it would have been more likely to succeed and perhaps things would be much different now. But this idea that somehow anything at all about PC gaming is worse now because of Steam is disingenuous and misguided.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Egamer, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Egamer, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Just Cause -- MB-E34FBC9901648823 - Taken by Blue Ninja. 3 entrants total.
The Last Remnant -- MB-A53D151828A90467 - Taken by KenOD. 32 entrants total.
Hitman: Blood Money -- MB-7B31A4060E783AEB - Taken by kadab. 11 entrants total.

t1406668496z1.png

Grief.exe

Almost as in genuine as Valve making people prefer buying games with DRM when they are often available without it at the same time for the same price. Or hiring psychologists to find ways to make their users throw their cash at them, by exploiting psychological behaviors, e.g. summer adventure challenges/cards/foils/hats etc and people loving it.. Or making their users evidently not be interested to buy games outside of their ecosystem (and profit) e.g Desura, non-Steamworks.
I like Steam. It has serious value. But let's not kid ourselves. They basically built a monopoly by incorporating DRM. Almost everyone has to split with Valve, if they want to be successful.
Sony/MS/Nintendo do what is acceptable since the birth of modern consoles: Having complete control over their ecosystem. In fact, they add more value on top with PS+/GWG, CrossBuy. Did they do something shitty with paid MP? Yes, of course. But one should be able to see the difference: One changed a lot for the better, on top of system-wide DRM, while the other added system-wide, monopolistic DRM when it wasn't that before.

I really don't want to get into this, but this technically is a logical fallacy. I made a point on PS+, you argued Steam DRM.

There is a legend of old, which counts the tale of a cold man, who did a very desirable getaway, as he was mocked for his many winnings. His intentions pure, and his heart was light, but the cold man was mocked by an ancient ogre to enter his own giveaway.
The cold man saw no ill on such action, and entered.
He did with his mind and spirit clear. As the time passed by, many others entered, and the expectations were high, so when the time of collecting the prize finally came, the cold man was surprised to see his own name as the undisputed winner of his generous prize.
Everyone was surprised on the kingdom, even the masters of the site were confused.
The cold man was a victim of many townsfolk rebuttals, "it can't be" they said, "its impossible" they mustered, but the cold man remained a winner.
Even as the odds of such adventure were really low, the cold man himself claimed to be the winner of his own giveaway.

Later on, he gave the prize again.
Even as his name is no longer remembered, his is the tale of the man who bested the mighty ModBot.

*claps*

You are doing mighty good work, greatly appreciated even if most talk is about TitS or sth else. You should know.

Wait so the console ecosystem, which is infinitely worse than PC, is getting slightly better but is still nowhere close to PC and you're still managing to praise them while finding fault with what's happening on Steam/PC?

Tizoc

How am I talking out of my ass when it comes to Strider? I've played it more than you already, I have 100% of the achievements and I've beaten it twice. I'm pretty sure that qualifies me to make comments about the game and what I didn't like...

For the record, I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 9-10 hours with Strider. It was just enough to get 100% and then delete it from my hard drive immediately. The extra time on Steam, like most game times for me, was fucked up by idling cards... so it has an extra 5-6 hours on it from that.
Why is it I gotta agitate some people so they can offer their full impressions of a game, lol.
Glad you took the time to write this BTW.

I can honestly say I will NEVER play that game again. EVER. And here's why:
(1) There is no variety, in anything. There's two main types of levels -- futuristic cityscape and sewer. Maybe you could count the temple area... maybe... but it reminds me a lot of a blend between the sewer and the city. This makes it feel like you're never going anywhere.
(2) Continuing the no variety, there's maybe about 6 enemy types throughout the whole game, not including bosses, and that MAY be including the stupid-ass color coded enemies.
(3) Speaking of, it has color coded enemies, enough said.[/QUOTE]
Non of that bothered me TBH, DmC 2013 had color coded enemies too, but in Strider I'd just keep distance, switch my power-up and waste them.
(4) There is no challenge. At all, except for the first boss on hard if you haven't played before, the expected cyber gorilla fight because he does ridiculous damage, and one random encounter in the elevator on the ride up to the boss which is a difficulty spike of epic proportions on hard (I had 100% of the upgrades and only was able to manage it once I started using the gravity/purple slingshot for the special ability).
Eh 'challenge' is subjective to me in a way.
I agree the game may be easy but I still enjoyed it and the boss fights.
As someone who is playing Freedom Planet, I don't find the bosses challenging, but more 'figure the pattern' and you'll do fine.
(5) The game is short. Ridiculously short -- and there's nothing to make you really go back because the combat is just mashing x for the most part. My first run, collecting everything, on hard (first time playing) clocked in around 6.5 hours, give or take. My speed run to get the final achievement would've clocked in at under 2.25 hours easily, but I decided to go out of my way to get a few extra upgrades just to make sure I wouldn't have a problem with that poorly designed encounter in the final area.
This didn't bother me much either, I'd say for 9-10ish hours, $15 is worth the price. In my case the game is replayable, and I didn't mind that the main combat involved just mashing the Attack button. I'd be all like 'ATATATATATATATATA EFF' YOUR SHIT, I'M STRIDER, BITCH!'
Mind you the above is also what I do in Ys: Oath in Felghana. Yes you do have extra abilities in Ys, but in Strider you have Options too similarly.
Few are the games with a simple combat system where mashing the attack button is satisfying to me, and Strider is one of those.

(6) The gameplay, at it's core, is extremely simple and ultimately boring. There is a practically useless upward attack mapped to Y, which was only ever useful for some of the reflecting projectiles from the wall cannons, so for the most part, combat is a total snoozefest. I was bored of the combat (and traversal mechanics) within the first 45 minutes or so and the only ability/upgrade that gave me any sort of repreive was the slingshot catapult which you get kind of late.
I personally didn't think it was that boring TBH, its simplicity made me like and I enjoyed exploring for power ups for the most part.
(7) The "cutscenes" are some C-level voice acting. You would think this is some fan made Strider game that failed out of kickstarter and was made anyway judging by this stuff. Add in the ridiculous "portraits" that don't match and sprinkle in the non-existent story and that side of the game makes it so that gameplay (as usual) should be the reason to love the game if there was one. But based on the above points, there's nothing good about the gameplay, as far as I'm concerned. It's mediocre and boring, at it's best.
Cutscenes and voice acting were OK, but this is something that any 2 people at least can't agree on. Mind you, I don't think anyone cares much about the story in this game, so it's a moot point to bring up.

(9) The lack of NG+ kills any potential hope of replay value. Did you miss collectibles? Did you want to get every single retro "collectible" they hid in places (which are kinda lame themselves)? Oh, you already went to take on the final boss? Tough, start over from scratch. And I don't think they ever patched it in.
New Game+ would've been cool to have, but that didn't bother me much with it not being in the game. ...but if NG+ was there and it were played on Hard, you'd still complain that it was too easy :p

(10) Beyond all this, the game had technical issues like crazy. While I never really encountered many, I have a pretty good graphics card and it's more than capable of handling the game as intended with DX11. But for those without such niceties? Good fuckin' luck.
Who here on SteamGAF, at least, had issues running the game? Hell even when running the game with my battery off on my lappy, it ran fine.
I don't see why you bring this up when from what I gather it ran fine for you and you had 0 issues.

I could probably spout more reasons I did not like the game, but for me it was the most boring and disappointing way that Strider could have returned in his own game and I'd honestly rather have the PSX game via emulator or play the arcade rom in the Capcom collections on my Vita. My nostalgia hyped me up and the promo trailers they put together gave me hope for the game when I originally thought it would be bad since announce because I didn't like the 2.5D or the Metroidvania direction it was going in. I gave in, I got it for about $9 and made a bunch of that back via playfire rewards for 100%'ing the game. But I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone, ever, and I highly advise anyone interested make sure they check out one of the demos for the game on consoles if possible. If you own a PS4 and have PS+, get it that way, maybe you like it, maybe you have fun with it because your expectations were non-existant due to not knowing or caring about the Strider franchise. But as a die-hard Strider fan? This is not the game we deserved, not even close.
Yet you'd recommend Yaiba despite it being a spin off of the NG series and barely plays anything like the Itakagi games, but should still be appreciated 'as it's own thing', so why not the same for this game?

Again I appreciate the write-up and I apologize if I was rude, though while I understand and get the points that you were displeased with with the game...they never bothered me and instead I enjoyed the game.

I'm not good at long write-ups, and tend to just make my points short and straight to the point.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Some games from the current Blink Bundle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BinaryPork2737, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Not the Robots -- MB-F30DBAF197A418FB - Taken by dave is ok. 2 entrants total.
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-24AB1493B4FE9217 - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Secret of the Magic Crystals Plus DLC -- MB-25F74593FE4BD135 - Taken by FiveElementNinja. 2 entrants total.
Go Home Dinosaurs! -- MB-6B12D17652B50A33 - Taken by ShogunX. 1 entrants total.
Retro/Grade -- MB-55FA941D8140E9A0 - Taken by TheFightingFish. 2 entrants total.

t1406666516z1.png

Knurek

Wait so the console ecosystem, which is infinitely worse than PC, is getting slightly better but is still nowhere close to PC and you're still managing to praise them while finding fault with what's happening on Steam/PC?

Well, we all know GAF is the home of Sony Ponies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom