• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems likes the multiplayer for Mount Your Friends is a little iffy right now but when you're able to get in a match it's really fun. The games oddly tense and the slap of flesh upon flesh when you make a successful grapple is disturbingly satisfying.

Seems likes the multiplayer for Mount Your Friends is a little iffy right now but when you're able to get in a match it's really fun. The games oddly tense and the slap of flesh upon flesh when you make a successful grapple is disturbingly satisfying.

See, now i really wanna play this when i get off work. Add this in with Nidhogg and the usual fighting games from Steam, and maybe see if i can get my friends to play 100% Orange Juice, and it'll be a hell of a night of gaming for my friends.

Durante

Wait so the console ecosystem, which is infinitely worse than PC, is getting slightly better but is still nowhere close to PC and you're still managing to praise them while finding fault with what's happening on Steam/PC?
I also wonder how the console platforms are getting better when they are introducing pay-for-play online across the board.

Knurek

Would you guys pay for a monthly Steam subscription?

If it gave similar things to PS+ like two free games a month?

The EA thread got me thinking. Would be interesting but we would probably end up getting some crappy indie games.

It's weird that nobody posted this reply:

Valve just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Steam culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on consoles where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on Steam, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Steam users, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase games anymore, nor will they purchase any of Valve's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Valve has alienated an entire market with this move.

Valve, publicly apologize and cancel plans for Steam subscription or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Dr Dogg

Wails Trails has some interesting 'quirks' that has me only using 75% of my monitor real estate or it gets some aspect ratio issues. Besides that the music has got me into the grove again already. Fingers crossed I can stay the course this time.

that feeling when you enter for a raffle that gets two entrants, and you're the one who doesn't win

I'm trying to work out which giveaway now.

Edit: Hahahaha oh dear.

Yet you'd recommend Yaiba despite it being a spin off of the NG series and barely plays anything like the Itakagi games, but should still be appreciated 'as it's own thing', so why not the same for this game?

Here's the difference for me:
Yaiba is clearly a "spinoff" set in the Ninja Gaiden universe. It stars an entirely new character in an entirely new setting and has some appearances from NG characters Ryu and Momiji.

Strider is basically a reboot, not a "spinoff". They took the same main character and tried to translate the core gameplay of the classic platforming combat games into a metroidvania. I just don't think they did it successfully. Other games have done this and it's worked well... Symphony of the NIght is one of the best examples of it. They took what was traditionally a challenging linear platformer with a combat focus and made it so it was sort of open in terms of exploration creating what we call "metroidvania" today. Metroid Prime also did this -- they took some cues from the Metroid lore, but made a new story and told it using FPS gameplay and perspective.

As a fan of both Metroid and Castlevania franchises, I was blown away by both Prime and SotN and my skeptical nature of "what are they doing to my classic franchise" was totally dismissed when I played the games and thought they were excellent. Strider, for me, didn't accomplish the transition to a new genre successfully and I was disappointed because of it; so much so that I'm very outspoken against people buying it for the same reason I was about DmC (though I actually enjoyed DmC more than I expected once I played it finally [on PC, of course]).

Hope this makes sense. :3

Kaper

With how the Squeenix Humble Bundle was set up, I was expecting Battlestations: Pacific to be part of the unlocked BTA games, and I am disappointed that it is not.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kaper, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Last Remnant -- MB-978305E4D68E955D - Taken by KenOD. 19 entrants total.
Hitman: Blood Money -- MB-0C78B647086F69C2 - Taken by Drakhyrr. 9 entrants total.

t1406677616z1.png

Knurek

Wails Trails has some interesting 'quirks' that has me only using 75% of my monitor real estate or it gets some aspect ratio issues. Besides that the music has got me into the grove again already. Fingers crossed I can stay the course this time.

Do note the BGM folder in the Trails in the Sky FC directory. Do also note the OGG Vorbis files there.

Extras

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chip -- MB-F40DAC27E3C6FD91 - Taken by Diedac. 1 entrants total.
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-7A01CEC33B5987D3 - Taken by JakkuFurosu. 1 entrants total.
Canyon Capers -- MB-30EAD4D6CE3E697B - Taken by TheMadMan007. 2 entrants total.

t1406668016z1.png

Backlogger

Was hoping for Tomb Raider to be in the Humble Bundle.

You and me both. Either that or Sleeping Dogs.

Both of those games are always on sale anyway. I still wanted it in the bundle lol.

Yeah, but Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider have a bunch of DLC and they probably wouldn't have included any or all of it in the bundle. Then during the next Winter Seal you will be mad at yourself for buying it without the DLC when all the DLC gets marked down by 50% but the complete edition is marked down 80%.

Frosty, have you seen my newest Spelunky clip btw? <3

Yeah, I saw that. Sometimes the random ways you can die in Spelunky are enough to drop your jaw... and when you finally snap out of it, all you can think is "Sheeeeeeeeeit."

I'm not going to go full on embed here, cause I don't want to piss people off if this is NSFW for them... but here's another reason to love Yaiba (and it goes very well with all of the interest in TitS today):

Jessica Nigir's Miss Monday cosplay: https://inspchin.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/aaaaa.jpg

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Pakkidis, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pakkidis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Thief Gold -- MB-6F2A630DD00C2D6B
The Last Remnant -- MB-0EF77423EFB36FEA - Taken by Backlogger. 31 entrants total.
Anachronox -- MB-B1829B4190D84354 - Taken by Ifrit. 3 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Invisible War -- MB-951F6E89CD5503BE - Taken by fernandes. 6 entrants total.

t1406670956z1.png

topyy

ModBot said:
Instructions for topyy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Echo of the Wilds -- MB-EF5B85E9E0A351E0 - Taken by BernardoOne

Double

so close to breaking on tits

i gotta stay strong, there's a really cool skin in league of legends coming up i need to buy
Which one? Are there any for Gamescom on the radar btw? When is Gamescom again, anyways?? Omg I wish I would get a dollar for each question!

Yeah, I saw that. Sometimes the random ways you can die in Spelunky are enough to drop your jaw... and when you finally snap out of it, all you can think is "Sheeeeeeeeeit."
Ya :D hilarious game in that regard. The best phase was the beginning though, when you weren't familier with basic stuff like stoning yourself to death and so on =)

Which one? Are there any for Gamescom on the radar btw? When is Gamescom again, anyways?? Omg I wish I would get a dollar for each question!

Ya :D hilarious game in that regard. The best phase was the beginning though, when you weren't familier with basic stuff like stoning yourself to death and so on =)

I still do that all the time -- fling a wrong the wrong way and have it bounce off a wall or something, catch me in the head, take 1 heart and cause me to fall backwards into an arrow trap for another 2 damage... >_<

Sajjaja

Yeah, but Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider have a bunch of DLC and they probably wouldn't have included any or all of it in the bundle. Then during the next Winter Seal you will be mad at yourself for buying it without the DLC when all the DLC gets marked down by 50% but the complete edition is marked down 80%.

But the DLC is multiplayer DLC mostly for TR.

Would you guys pay for a monthly Steam subscription?

If it gave similar things to PS+ like two free games a month?

The EA thread got me thinking. Would be interesting but we would probably end up getting some crappy indie games.

No, and I hope this "pay-per-play" subscription thing does not become a standard.

What are the Hitman game rankings? I know Blood Money is on the top of the list, but how does rest of the series break down?

2 and Contracts are both very good from what I remember, prefer Contracts to Silent Assassin since I think it's an updated version of it (from what I remember, I played it back when PS2 was still a thing). Codename 47 (Hitman 1) is very unforgiving and didn't age well imo, it's still playable though.
Absolution isn't a Hitman game, most levels are corridors or semi open levels where you need to stay hidden whereas the most of the Hitman series has always been about being hidden in plain sight and getting through a level with social interactions and stuff like that -of course excluding a few levels-. Absolution has a couple of moments like that but it isn't worth the trouble.

Ozium

it never shows how many entrants until there is a winner. if you applied for the raffle and didn't qualify/were throttled/blacklisted you are still counted as an entrant but will not show up unless someone takes it.

example:

bundle game #3 - you enter raffle, after raffle ends it is blank, an hour later someone else enters but are throttled, 2 hours later it is blank, and then someone claims it instantly and modbot is updated with "bundle game #3 - taken by pewdiepie, there were 3 entrants."

Ventara

What does it mean to be throttled exactly?

You can't win anything until a certain amount of time has passed, even if you're the only one to enter for a giveaway that you're eligible to win. This happens if you've recently won, or have won a lot in the past week.

Arthea

It looks so great when I tried it, but the game keeps crashing on me, and when I try ro run it in Windowed mode it doesn't even start up :(. I have faith the patch will be out by tonight or tomorrow though so I can finally enjoy TiTS.

lower res a little and don't run in windowed mode at all, it seems most people stop having crash problems after that is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom