• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1: Gunstarheroes
#2: Dot
#3: salazar547
#4: PrematureQuiche

In the wings for 2nd game: Hugstable

Awesome, i'm excited to see how this turns out. Feel free to show interest still, someone else can certainly set up a game too!

Ozium

Am I the only one that uses idle time to actually check out and play some of the games I'm idling to see if maybe I will like it enough to put it in the backlog instead of just deleting once i've sucked all the card life out of the game?

you kids today with your fancy programs in my day we had to idle games the hard way and we liked it DAMMIT

wilflare

If anyone would like to try out my new program (which I'm calling "Idle Master") you can get it here: https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

I'm going to be AFK for a little while with real life stuff, but I'll try to answer any questions I can. Please keep in mind that this is still in really early stages - it may contain bugs or not work for everyone. If you encounter any issues with it, feel free to PM me and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

this is awesome! :D so glad I woke up to this!!!! :D

Caerith

You're fast. Thought this will go public in several days the earliest. Any idea whether this will lead to problems when using parallel with SAM on different games?
Idle Master tells Steam you're playing a game.
SAM tells Steam you're playing a game.

Steam sees you're playing two games and either doesn't give you cards or gives you cards at a very reduced rate. Same as if you loaded up two games directly.

Idle Master safe to use w/ VAC games?

Until or unless Valve changes something, yeah. It just simulates you opening a game and idling at the main menu, nothing gameplay-related, nothing connecting you to a server.

Am I the only one that uses idle time to actually check out and play some of the games I'm idling to see if maybe I will like it enough to put it in the backlog instead of just deleting once i've sucked all the card life out of the game?

you kids today with your fancy programs in my day we had to idle games the hard way and we liked it DAMMIT
A lot of the games I'm idling are games I played before cards were added to them.

Ozium

version 2.0 of Idle Master needs to have a function where it puts the card on the market at either same price as lowest or 1 cent lower so you can cut out the middle man and wake up to pure hard gaben

Ventara

Guys, so I'm trying to setup Idle Master, and I only see steamLogin and steamLoginSecure. Is the first one supposed to be the sessionid and the latter the steamLogin? Edit 2: To clarify, I mean I don't see a sessionid in chrome where I'm supposed to get the info from. Just steamLogin and steamLoginSecure

Edit: Woo, top of the page. Also, once I've entered these values into the settings notepad, do I run start or steam-idle? Anything else I need to do? Can I just play my games while this is running?

Edit 3: Got it running thanks to iosefe. I had to restart Chrome for sessionid to show up.

iosefe

From my experience, if things don't go crazy, 30 minutes, give or take 10. Someone can tell me if i'm wrong though. I've only played 4 or 5 matches.

seems legit
Guys, so I'm trying to setup Idle Master, and I only see steamLogin and steamLoginSecure. Is the first one supposed to be the sessionid and the latter the steamLogin?

it should be this in the file, then jsut put the right info in the right spaces

Code:
mySteamUserID=""
sessionid = ""
steamLogin = ""

Speevy

Banned
I'm amazed that the various Russian store Neogaf steam traders haven't started trying to undercut or badmouth each other yet.

Such a friendly community we have.

Sera O

Banned
Goddamn it! I bought Trails in the Sky from the web-store while at work (added to inventory out of habit). Now I'm home and wanted to add to my account and install, but it's not in my inventory in the steam client. The gift purchase shows up in my account history page though.

Anyone had this happen to them? I've put a ticket in on steam support, but on the off-chance anyone has resolved this on their own I welcome any tips (I doubt steam support will have a fast response).

I already started steam client, updated it, restarted. Payment was adding funds to wallet through paypal, but I've never had a problem getting games into my inventory immediately using that method in the past.

Ventara

it should be this in the file, then jsut put the right info in the right spaces

Code:
mySteamUserID=""
sessionid = ""
steamLogin = ""

I get this part, but I don't see a button for sessionid in Chrome.

I'm amazed that the various Russian store Neogaf steam traders haven't started trying to undercut or badmouth each other yet.

Don't we just have one guy? liezryou? I know Dunder does it occasionally, too.

Do not want

M7neE25.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
has this been posted?

Article about The Room's Steam port and the horrors of mobile gaming

I found this funny:

"A new game is hard, but you can't just “port” an iOS game onto PC. You have to really start again, rebuild all the assets, and all that. It was an awful lot of work in the long run."

The Room's devs obviously havent seen the majority of iOS to PC ports :p

New thread before August? Or should this thread extend for another two days?

if we stop turning the thread into facebook an extension should be enough

That won't break anything, but the app won't be added to the queue either. It adds all the apps before it runs any of them, and never re-checks the master list after.

(Again, assuming jshackles didn't materially change the way I had things set up when I posted the code in here yesterday).

Yeah, I didn't think it would break it, but in the easy of being the most automated solution possible, it would probably be good to have periodic checks to add new apps to the queue -- this way if you leave the thing running while you go into the office or off to work or whatever and on your lunch break you buy some game via humble store and redeem it, that it's possible it will have added that game to the queue and be idling for you without requiring intervention.

Ideally, I think it would be optimal to only really require the user to restart the program after there are 0 card drops remaining on the account, not after the initial queue is exhausted. I'm not sure how hard that check would be to add into this software, but it's something I'll run by JSheezy when I have the chance.

Seems like the threshold's a lot higher than that.

Quite possible. It might depend on a businesses practices, I guess. I used to have a side job reporting for a blog for 3 hours a week (scheduled). One year, I covered a bunch of shifts and managed to get up over $600 total. At this point, the company owning the blog informed me that I had made enough to have to be reported to the IRS and as such they had filed the forms necessary to do so. So when tax season came, I had to add income from my "personal business contracting writing services" out to this blog...

I can't say for sure what Valve's threshold is, as I've never crossed it.

excuse me for a minute ,
what is this program you are using ?
i also saw one 10-20 page ago with TF2 picture in it

Idle Master (aka Enhanced Idler) -- a new idling program from JShackles (with help from Stump).

Um... you'd be surprised. Some traders, who will remain nameless, are infuriated by the markup that some of the Russian store GAF traders charge and want to do everything and anything to bring the games to you at lower costs. :)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Trails is pretty great. Really glad I was able to idle enough money to make it more affordable.

I got married, had a baby and moved to the US. I wasn't hiding, just buried under the obligations of husbandry and fatherhood. Still am tbh:

Congrats :D

Do not want

jacknicholsonnodding.gif

New thread before August? Or should this thread extend for another two days?

I'd prefer just to extend this thread. That way we won't have a thread that lasts for two days.

Strider

So I didn't get the Humongous Entertainment Bundle or anything but check out what I did find

pJ9QcOS.jpg

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggg

Time to go relive my childhood now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when was STFU coming out again? or did it not have a date?

I wish Stalker played and looked more like Metro. Maybe then I'd be interested, because I like the setting a lot.

you just went and opened a big ol' can of worms with that statement... which I fully agree with :/

I tried the first Stalker a few months ago, with the overhaul mod, whatever its called and yeesh...yeah, it didnt feel great to play :( I still want to give it another go because I love the setting and the idea of the game

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just so no one is expecting it: there will be no Serious Stream tonight.

I hope to resume the torture in a day or two.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Mono, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mono, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Zeno Clash 2 -- MB-5D8A949AB07EF8CD - Taken by TheLight. 3 entrants total.
Tropico Trilogy -- MB-0661027AF98C91AF - Taken by Pakkidis. 5 entrants total.
Combat Wings: Battle of Britain -- MB-597BEB11FA34018F - Taken by Darth Kupi. 4 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Zeno Clash 2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Tropico Trilogy was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Combat Wings: Battle of Britain was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1406689517z1.png

Sarcasm

so, i have to install enhanced steam to use it ? not a stand alone program ?
what i heard about it , that it let the game running but not using any resources , is that right ?

No you don't need ES. Basically download from the site..follow PDF and run it. It cycles through games on its own.

so, i have to install enhanced steam to use it ? not a stand alone program ?
what i heard about it , that it let the game running but not using any resources , is that right ?

No, it's just put together by the same awesome GAFer who made Enhanced Steam.

It's a standalone executable that just requires you to put 3 pieces of information into a text file.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Gunstarheroes, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gunstarheroes, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mount Your Friends -- MB-FE32524DFA31F12B - Taken by xeris. 33 entrants total.

t1406689637z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom