• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fuck the 200 card limit.

I want to unload these Tails in the Sky cards. =(

image.php

dat freudian slip

Hanzou

Thinking of starting baldyrs gate 1 tonight. I played a tiny bit of 2 and some icewind Dale 2 way back when and want to play the infinity games for real. At the same time playing a game for 60 hours is terrifying.

gotta hate when you see a deal, buy it, and minutes after that, seeing a better deal somewhere else :( Bought Trine 1 on the Humble Store, and saw steam had if for 50c=1BRL less.

So I got jshackles' program working. Do I need to do anything once it starts? I just let it do its thing right?

Monitor it to make sure that it's cycling games after all drops are gone, but other than that, not really.

I mean other than continually buying games with cards before the drops run out so it can run perpetually.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thinking of starting baldyrs gate 1 tonight. I played a tiny bit of 2 and some icewind Dale 2 way back when and want to play the infinity games for real. At the same time playing a game for 60 hours is terrifying.

what about playing a game for 800 hours?

not that I would do that, that would be crazy

:(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I got jshackles' program working. Do I need to do anything once it starts? I just let it do its thing right?

Assuming he didn't change my original source much, you should get a bunch of text prompts telling you it's added games to its queue at least, then maybe a text prompt saying it's starting to idle a given appid?

Uzzy

Roll a Paladin, pack the missile weapons and save often. Enjoy the ride!

Also, always bring Imoen along.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hmm, so Jshackle's program only idles 15 minutes per game? I used start.exe, steam-idle.exe seemed to do nothing

This seems awesome though.

Speevy

Banned
Assuming he didn't change my original source much, you should get a bunch of text prompts telling you it's added games to its queue at least, then maybe a text prompt saying it's starting to idle a given appid?

Yes and yes, it says it's running Broken Age and it added a bunch of badges.

Does it detect all games running from different sources, like two different hard drives?

L.O.R.D

downloading this again

I0ejiSR.jpg

gonna try finished the last achievement ... the 10000 kill
i think my current kill is 6000 ish
its gonna be lone ride

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hmm, so Jshackle's program only idles 15 minutes per game? I used start.exe, steam-idle.exe seemed to do nothing

It should start by idling 15 minutes, and then check to see if you still have drops remaining. If you don't, you're done that app and it moves to the next one. If you do, it idles another 15 minutes. If you're down to one card drop it starts checking every 5 minutes. That should be pretty close to optimum efficiency.

Does it detect all games running from different sources, like two different hard drives?

it has nothing to do with what's on your hard drive, it reads your game data from Steamcommunity and spoofs the actual running of the game.

I think the way you presented it originally made it seem worse than it is but really little's changed in practice. [...]
You tell me. While ranting about evil Valve trying to squeeze more money out of users with psychologists help, I was idling cards, ha. It surely has its conveniences not having to think about patches and the community functions are great; use them a lot. Things advance, stuff changes. Some practices from the past may seem archaic now, like cd checks. I still gotta adapt.
If anyone would like to try out my new program (which I'm calling "Idle Master") you can get it here: https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master
I'm going to be AFK for a little while with real life stuff, but I'll try to answer any questions I can. Please keep in mind that this is still in really early stages - it may contain bugs or not work for everyone. If you encounter any issues with it, feel free to PM me and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.
You're fast. Thought this will go public in several days the earliest. Any idea whether this will lead to problems when using parallel with SAM on different games?

Is Whispering Willows only foil cards? All 3 drops I've had from it are foils.
Congrats. I take they drop rarely. Any ways to increase chances?

On that topic. Operation Flashpoint, which I got from a bundle, didn't show in SAM. After searching in steam for it, I added the appid from its url into SAM add game bar and it showed up. Upon starting I got a warning that I don't own the game though?! So I closed the window and realized that the sub from my version is probably a different one. How can I find out which sub the game I have is? JaseC is not here, so I guess no one knows. Weirdly Operation Flashpoint shows now in my Recently Played tab. Hope I won't get banned.

Seems today has been a day of mixed luck, 3 foils in a row offset by needing a trip to the hospital. But now I have bought Divinity, my week is now good!
Dude, I hope nothing major happened. Get well soon, yo. I wanna play your game one day :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It should start by idling 15 minutes, and then check to see if you still have drops remaining. If you don't, you're done that app and it moves to the next one. If you do, it idles another 15 minutes. If you're down to one card drop it starts checking every 5 minutes. That should be pretty close to optimum efficiency.

Got it, sounds simple enough. This app is gonna be a life saver, thanks guys

Coldsun

Banned

This seems awesome though.

Start.exe gathers a list of games with cards remaining, then runs the idle exe with an appid of a game in your card queue. 15min later it checks if that appid still has card drops remaining, and if so, continues. If there are no card drops remaining, it kills the idle program and restarts it with a different appid for a game with card drops still remaining. Rinse and repeat.

iosefe

question about the tax form.

i've never worked, and have never had to pay taxes. i've also moved rom the home with we have on record recently. what do i do so i can sell more cards?

Turfster

So I closed the window and realized that the sub from my version is probably a different one. How can I find out which sub the game I have is? JaseC is not here, so I guess no one knows. Weirdly Operation Flashpoint shows now in my Recently Played tab. Hope I won't get banned.

Did yours match whatever url you get when you go to the store page?
Store pages are http://store.steampowered.com/app/appid/
If that doesn't work, check steamdb.info 's appids for other regions.

Rhaknar

whats going on with all those "stumpokapow presents: X fictional character vs Y fictional character"? Stump doesnt actually seem to be involved in any of them

it has nothing to do with what's on your hard drive, it reads your game data from Steamcommunity and spoofs the actual running of the game.

I took a screencap for you, and for everyone else, as mine's been running for awhile... I have an interesting edge test case in the works here to see what happens when you buy a game with cards while it's running (to see if JShackles checks back to the badges page in between switching the app that idling).

Unrelated: I sent you that trade offer.

So, who wants to play a rousing game of 100% Orange Juice tonight. Send me a PM to try and keep the thread from getting too clogged, but either way, let me know, and lets see if we can ruin some friendships tonight!

header_292x136.jpg

#1: Gunstarheroes
#2: Dot
#3: salazar547
#4: PrematureQuiche

In the wings for 2nd game: Hugstable

We play soon... (Hopefully)

t1406685600z1.png

i've never worked, and have never had to pay taxes. i've also moved rom the home with we have on record recently. what do i do so i can sell more cards?

I don't remember what it was exactly, but it didn't have anything to do with working, if I recall correctly.

It was more your name, current address and Social Security number, I think.

Hugstable

Banned
So, who wants to play a rousing game of 100% Orange Juice tonight. Send me a PM to try and keep the thread from getting too clogged, but either way, let me know, and lets see if we can ruin some friendships tonight!

t1406685600z1.png

Oh I'll be down to play in about an hour or so since I'm out right now, but if you guys play multiple games and someone jumps out I'll definitely play. We need to get more 100% Game Nights!

Also I love your avatar, one of my favorite games ever

L.O.R.D

I took a screencap for you, and for everyone else, as mine's been running for awhile... I have an interesting edge test case in the works here to see what happens when you buy a game with cards while it's running (to see if JShackles checks back to the badges page in between switching the app that idling).

Unrelated: I sent you that trade offer.

excuse me for a minute ,
what is this program you are using ?
i also saw one 10-20 page ago with TF2 picture in it

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

That won't break anything, but the app won't be added to the queue either. It adds all the apps before it runs any of them, and never re-checks the master list after.

(Again, assuming jshackles didn't materially change the way I had things set up when I posted the code in here yesterday).

Tellaerin

But don't you get taxed or something?

No.
Only if you make more than like $600 in a year from the marketplace -- it's somewhere around that threshold, I think, that businesses are required to report your income to the IRS and then you have to put it on your taxes for the year (which even if you somehow managed to make $600, shouldn't be a real factor in your taxes, one way or another).

Seems like the threshold's a lot higher than that.

Will you be providing 1099’s based on my transactions in the Community Market?

The United States Internal Revenue Service requires us to report gross sales for, and provide IRS Form 1099’s to, only those subscribers who are U.S. citizens or residents and who exceed 200 sales transactions in a calendar year and also exceed $20,000 in gross sales proceeds from those sales transactions in that same calendar year, from all of that subscriber's accounts. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident and exceed both of these thresholds, we will report the amount of gross sales to the IRS and provide you with Form 1099.

I don't think most of us have anything to worry about. (Though now I'm wondering if anyone's ever made $20000+ in one year by selling rare items on the marketplace.)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I'm glad you're liking it! The game is pretty short, so you should be coming up to the final boss soon. I can't wait to hear what you think of Ys II.
I've been told that it was short, yeah. It's a shame, I don't want it to end yet! Though you are right, there's still Ys II and the sequels (of which I've been gifted Felghana, and if they keep being so awesome I'll eventually buy Origin).

I'm glad you enjoy it! It feels like most of the posts I've seen about it talk about how outdated/retro and simple the combat is, when in actuality it's really a very fun system.

You should still play God of War, though.
That was my fear, but it isn't outdated at all, at least in my opinion. The only flaw I found was that it didn't tell you at first that your character didn't have a sword equipped, which makes defeating the first enemies virtually impossible.

Don't worry, I will continue GoW, and the sequels too because I bought the Saga collection with 1, 2, 3 and the PSP titles.

you won't be saying that when you fight the final boss

that guy sucks
Given how leveling works in this game, I'm sure it's just a matter of grinding for a couple of minutes before fighting him :p

header_292x136.jpg

#2:
#3:
#4:

t1406685600z1.png

i want to join ( im from south america so idk if it will work but we can try :) )

dot

header_292x136.jpg

#2:
#3:
#4:

t1406685600z1.png

Sure, why not. I haven't played this game with friends yet.

header_292x136.jpg

#2:
#3:
#4:

t1406685600z1.png

I'm in if there is a spot! I haven't booted the game up yet!

yuraya

I don't think Valve will ever use that info unless you legitimately start hustling $400 CSGO knives on the market or some other crazy stuff. And IRS won't care either unless you're pulling in some real cookie dough through your steam wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom