• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPS says this about Crypt of the Necrodancer:

"Crypt of the Necrodancer is out on Early Access now, and to be honest I suspect it could have gotten away with being a full release (albeit with content patches to follow). It’s in good, sturdy shape, it’s slick and it lives up to its sky-high concept. I like it a lot. I like it enough that I’m going to do a self-shaming follow-up piece about playing it with a dance mat very soon."

the bolded is very important to me, interest rising

Im heading home now, should be installed when i get home. I plan to post impressions soon after!

Also, Hatoful Boyfriend pre-purchased and ready for release

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone playing Crypt of the Necrodancer? This game tickles my interest right in the good spot

any early impressions?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the third bundle where I have all games... because I forgot some games I had, it's starting to be real problem.

That's why you always need to check your library before buying something :p

Erm, so I entered yesterday this giveaway for "X-Com: Enemy Unknown/UFO Defense" and I only got UFO Defense :(

It was called UFO: Enemy Unknown in the UK when it came out, so it was probably a mistake on the poster's part. Just a guess. I think the PS1 port was just called X-Com: Enemy Unknown.

I wonder if acceptance of indie game aesthetics varies across generations. I grew up on the NES and the SNES/genesis and when i read complaints like "ugh fuck this 2d pixelated bullshit" i can't help but wonder if they grew up in the post 16-bit era of polygons, polygon, polygons and never got to see the +decade of 2d evolution to genuinely appreciate it, to look at Street Fighter III and just go HOLY SHIT.

I'm sure there are those born in the mid-late 90s who do appreciate that visual style, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the more vocal parts of that contingent didn't game before that era.

As much as I appreciate the pixelated graphics of several indie titles, I do feel like indie developers rarely venture outside of that style. Nothing wrong with a little variety.

Vuze

Yes. ACRTAG only affects South American, Eastern European and South-east Asian (because of the incoming support for the Thai Baht) users.

That's good to know. If FC4 PC turns out good, I might get it for 40€ (instead of 60. lol screw you ubi)

As much as I appreciate the pixelated graphics of several indie titles, I do feel like indie developers rarely venture outside of that style. Nothing wrong with a little variety.

It's definitely hitting a saturation point in regards to how many indie games are using that style.

Still, I'd rather have a glut of 2d pixelated games that (for the most part) play incredibly differently than AAA games than have a bunch of poor indies doing some very clean, high resolution 2d visuals but feel the need to reduce the risk of their game bombing by having average gameplay.

Of course those things aren't mutually exclusive: Spelunky won many awards when it was released to new platforms last year and it looks fantastic. But in a word where we might get less TGWBWs or Hyper Light Drifter but cleaner, less diverse games and more infrequent releases, i'll always side with more games.

How's it going SteamGAF?

What's everyone playing? I've been so busy lately that I haven't had the chance to finish Tomb Raider (2013).

I've been playing Hearthstone off-and-on though.. I'm really enjoying it.

If you use Firefox or one of its derivatives, you can just use MozBackup to back up everything (cookies, history, current session activity, and so on).

Oh perfect, thanks!

Which file in the Steam folder do you need to save? I might reformat too in a not so distant future.

There should be two "SSFN" files you need to backup in your steam folder. I'd backup your firefox (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles) profile too to be safe.

There you go :)

Lomax

It's definitely hitting a saturation point in regards to how many indie games are using that style.

Still, I'd rather have a glut of 2d pixelated games that (for the most part) play incredibly differently than AAA games than have a bunch of poor indies doing some very clean, high resolution 2d visuals but feel the need to reduce the risk of their game bomb by having average gameplay.

Of course those things aren't mutually exclusive: Spelunky won many awards when it was released to new platforms last year and it looks fantastic. But in a word where we might get less TGWBWs or Hyper Light Drifter but cleaner, less diverse games and more infrequent releases, i'll always side with more games.

I love me some pixel art, but I'd rather see indies move away from 2D for a bit. Where it makes sense, anyway.

My biggest problem is so much of the pixel art is just straight up bad. We don't need to go back to the 8-bit era. Plenty of games on the SNES are still gorgeous even now, and I love pixel art like that. But when your "style" emulates ugly, it's still ugly, not stylish.

Milamber

This is a first, ACU and FC4 are both not available for purchase in my store region.

EDIT: Not like I'm gonna buy it. Learned my lesson with W_D.

I saw a video of Road Not Taken this morning. Looks like a cool little puzzle rogue-like where putting objects together can combine them to make new objects that you may need to progress to the next room. I believe the goal is to save kids who are in the rooms by using the objects to get them out. I like the art style.

Funny trailer

It's also free for PS+ members next month.

ss_7656bb9901f0ef4825f5e938ebfcd8eb91aa0d02.600x338.jpg

ss_9ecad4d7fcf02f31aa3dd44359afc6bc6561fce8.600x338.jpg

ss_522906b3ebe372bf76fcae5ef6e05e0cfd32115f.600x338.jpg

Arthea

It is even theoretically not possible to hate indie games. There are so many of them and so vastly different that one have to play some of all of them to be sure, and no one can do that, even Toma doesn't play them all.

I know I'm late to that discussion, but seriously who even can believe such a thing. I believe that some people don't play indie games simply because these are indie games, I mean prejudice is a thing, hate is not.

Divius

Played some more Speedrunners with some SteamGAFers. It's such an awesome and fun MP game. I'm having a blast despite getting my ass kicked.

Unfortunately the game still breaks for me every other game, making it nearly unplayable. I'm just going to try re-installing it, hopefully that'll somehow fix it.

That was damn good.
Thanks. Too bad my friend over at forklift got rekt.

You know I have never played CSGO. Maybe I should try to get on that but I'm a cheap ass.

It's uber cheap and I always make my money back from case drops, I'm sitting pretty at $25.06 when I had $0 in my wallet before this last operation began. ;)

That NecroDancer game looks pretty cool, will have to get it at some point.

Played a bit of SpeedRunners and I am liking what's there, but even though the game is Early Access I had the impression that it was farther along than it actually is. Still needs a lot of polish, all sorts of bugs and the UI is a mess.

Kanokare

Oh god. I spent years clean and now I need a CS fix.

One of us... one of us...

ONE OF US.... o_o

You should have seen my defusal last night. Three guys alive on T with just me left, I saw a T's feet in front of my face at 2 sec left to defuse and he decided to pull out his knife to kill me. I got the defuse and managed to kill him afterwards. :p

Haha nice. Not sure why he'd want to bring out a knife XD

Vlad

Played some more Speedrunners with some SteamGAFers. It's such an awesome and fun MP game. I'm having a blast despite getting my ass kicked.

Unfortunately the game still breaks for me every other game, making it nearly unplayable. I'm just going to try re-installing it, hopefully that'll somehow fix it.

Breaks how? As fun as it is, the game is incredibly glitchy. Camera not following any of the players, player in the lead losing because the camera decides to follow someone behind him, random movement glitches, disappearing players, you name it, you tend to see stuff like that fairly frequently. I guess it's a testament to how fun the game is that I'm still enjoying it despite the problems. The trick is not to take it too seriously. And speaking of not taking things too seriously...

My goodness, it has been a while since I've played any online competitive games. The only game I've played online for years now has been Minecraft so jumping back into something competitive reminds me of how annoying people can be online. The community isn't DotA or L4D bad, but it does seem to be pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom