• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Independence is a relative term. The most truly independent developers would have to be coding their games in assembly, not relying on the languages, libraries, middleware, and assets of others. Even then, they're still part of an economy...you'd have to pay for utilities even if you locked yourself in a room coding non-stop. I simply don't like this criterion that says Divinity: Original Sin's an indie game, or that Larian's an indie dev, just because they're not directly tethered to a big publisher like Ubisoft. Black Isle was always an offshoot of Interplay, but they still pushed the Western D&D-style CRPG further and further despite office politics. Neither the indie movement nor triple-A publishing leave any room for mid-sized developers to get the recognition they deserve...the issue's gone to black and white, not grey.

Personally, I think too many developers want players to have no trouble playing through the game once and then never again. They think people won't see all of the assets they build in the short term, so they put save points everywhere in the fear that people might have to start over. Starting over isn't a bad idea if it can prevent stagnation and let players do new things a second time around.

BHK3

Banned
get em
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BHK3, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified -- MB-0D6642C88C70581B - Taken by gaiadyne. 4 entrants total.
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-A2CEFDD81388FF1C - Taken by MTE. 1 entrants total.

t1406761579z1.png

sprinkles

Hey everyone, just got back. Seems like Idle Master worked pretty well while I was gone:

RXwlaJY.png

I'm going to go back through and read everyone's suggestions, ideas, complaints, etc and get a new version together that should address a lot of these issues. When it's ready, I'll post it (along with the non-SAM version of the C# app
again, sorry about that :(
) to Github and hopefully some of you will be on board with doing a bit of testing.
My 100+ games with card drops remaining are ready for idling.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
heh ... so much for people complaining about prices ...

It's Far Cry 4, it's going to sell. I'm sure that some of the people that are complaining about the price (likely not those in this thread though) are still pre-ordering it. Throw in regional pricing being lower in some areas, and bingo, top sellers list.

I sometimes wonder, do people that decide what keyboard mapping is gonna be default even play games? Probably not

That feeling when you find out that the right mouse button does what the left mouse button should do in Trails is a good example of that feeling :p

Do the buyers of the Let's build a Doujin Bundle 2 get Steam keys for Hatoful Boyfriend?

Nope. The reasoning behind that decision is that this version of Hatoful Boyfriend is a remake, so no one gets keys, except that one guy that asked nicely and sent an email.

Tizoc

Oh a Mordor giveaway, good thing I caught it before going to bed haha.
Come on Russia, do you hate Pigeons or something?

Need to find a way to tweet this out to Starbreeze so they know the things I am willing to do in order to play their games.

How is this not on PC?

rcmmWbo.jpg

Getting the second game in that 2K bundle has reignited my urge to finish the first game. I guess i have to use this $10 gamestop coupon on something, right?

Haha nice. Not sure why he'd want to bring out a knife XD

Wha?

Glory, man. That's all CS is about! If it isn't the coolest kill, it isn't the kill that matters.

I'm only half joking, here. People don't spam mics with "ooooh" for a defusal-kill nearly as much as they do for knife kills.

Need to find a way to tweet this out to Starbreeze so they know the things I am willing to do in order to play their games.

How is this not on PC?

rcmmWbo.jpg

Well, we know Isaac isn't coming out in August.

Almost forgot how ugly that Spider-Man 2 font they used with the PS3 labels was.

sprinkles

Nope. The reasoning behind that decision is that this version of Hatoful Boyfriend is a remake, so no one gets keys, except that one guy that asked nicely and sent an email.
Whelp, but no real harm done. I am still preordering this, I need some pigeon love in my Steam activity feed.

Btw, why is there no preorder discount on either Far Cry 4 or Ass Creed Unity? Is this the first time Ubi did this? Watchdogs was nearly 20% off during the preorder time so I hoped Far Cry 4 would be as well.

You know those days where you want to just leave work, go home, and play a game like GTA and imagine the pedestrians are your co-workers and bosses? Yeah...

Erekiddo

STEAM QUESTION.

I've Googled, and to no avail, I'm not finding an answer that gets it to work properly.

Is it possible to run Steam off of a USB drive? I attempting doing a clean install to a laptop and running the Steam.exe to download the 90MB update and unpack. I then moved this folder to a USB drive and attempted to run this from a laptop I have for my work.

I get an error message saying Steam isn't properly installed.

Is there a way to do this without having to edit the registry?

Kanokare

The Darkness is one of the most underrated games of the last generation imho, for this price it's more than worth it ;)

Slight spoilers for Darkness 1 -
I've always love the scene where Jackie's sitting with his girlfriend. It was sweet >_>

The game should've been released on PC. Oh well, put it with RDR and other games...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
are you serious with this friendly fire on RE4? was going to break a jar, killed Ashely instead

Damn, I played the game pretty thoroughly and took my time and still ended up in the 30-40 hour range.

Well, I usually I am a completionist and take my time not skipping any details, as for Risen I spent a lot of time grinding and also tried and complete all side quests, speaking of which
I started siding with bandits, well they were cool, I liked they were smoking weed all the time, then there was the city, and when I read that going the warrior of the Order path was the best choice as it lead to the best missions I made so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom