• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahamrick

within the steam client I went to accept a trade and it told me to log in to steam (wtf? I was already logged in using the client) and then it blocked me from trading for 7 days.

volvo pls

Try restarting the client, I've had something similar happen and restarting the client removed the trade restriction.

Steam acting kind of weird for anyone else right now? Was searching for a Dota match then suddenly lost connection to Steam. Having trouble pulling the site up in my browser as well.

Kuroyume

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
Tiamat X (DESURA) -- MB-306DF5213E365A18 - Taken by SSPssp
ulgzbKC.png
Power-Up (DESURA) -- MB-777F72CF02AEDC89 - Taken by Jason Frost
ulgzbKC.png
Evy: Magic Spheres (DESURA) -- MB-7A30C07116554565
ulgzbKC.png
Unhack (DESURA) -- MB-9C2A71504AC7CA2F - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Radical Heroes: Crimson City Crisis (DESURA) -- MB-9918A121F7B927C8 - Taken by Darth Kupi
ulgzbKC.png
1Quest (DESURA) -- MB-26BF6EA7ADF7862D

t1406767280z1.png

atausj4s.gif

Miker

ModBot said:
Instructions for Miker:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Miker, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Evolve Alpha -- MB-2723BD2A29034095 - Taken by jres80. 11 entrants total.

t1406767340z1.png

Alpha access runs from Friday, August 1st (9am PDT) to Sunday, August 3rd (8pm PDT). Don't enter if you won't be able to play at all.

This is just the key. I have no idea if this will work by itself, or if it requires my2K account shenanigans, in which case, boo hiss.

Enjoy!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got the new idle master. New settings requires the full url to your Steam profile now

Thanks again jshackles

No problem! I was going to mention that, it should be a little less confusing, and should also allow people without vanity urls to use the program also.

Ozium

Question I didn't see in the FAQ. Since this "simulates" you being in game, do I need to have the game installed? I ask because I have a couple drops left in Brutal Legend but really don't feel like downloading the game again.

nope. confirmed this last night by getting cards from the bureau

edit: quotation marks need to be completed. also put each item on its own line in the text file

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Changes in 0.2 of Idle Master:

• A more robust idling detector that can account for Steam being down (thanks Caerith)
  • Idle Master now uses your Steam profile URL in the settings rather than your Steam name
  • Apps are listed in the log by their store name instead of their App ID
  • Better error handling for users who haven't configured settings.txt
  • The program will now tell you how many games you need to idle on startup
  • The steam-idle kill process now properly blocks execution
  • This version has the correct steam-idle application which doesn't contain SAM code
  • Source code (.cs) files are provided for steam-idle

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Question I didn't see in the FAQ. Since this "simulates" you being in game, do I need to have the game installed? I ask because I have a couple drops left in Brutal Legend but really don't feel like downloading the game again.

Nope, which is why this beautiful thing exists. It simply tells steam that you are running the game and steam believes it.

jshackles

Won't stay open..auto closes.....how do I fix this?

You can open a command prompt in windows (Start -> Run -> "cmd") then browse to the directory it's installed and run start.exe from there. If it's exiting immediately, it should put output why to the command window.

jblank83

I saw some strange behavior as well. My settings.txt file is correct. I ran start.exe from a folder with start-idle.exe and the dlls. Then the first start.exe window pops up informing me of my remaining drops, and another that tells me I'm in a certain game. Those windows then close, and two new start.exe windows pop up and run through the same process, informing me of my remaining drops and the game I'm in.

So far the second set of windows seems to be behaving normally. Still on that first 15 minute wait. Hopefully it works.

wilflare

• A more robust idling detector that can account for Steam being down (thanks Caerith)
  • Idle Master now uses your Steam profile URL in the settings rather than your Steam name
  • This version has the correct steam-idle application which doesn't contain SAM code

very very nice!
can we include a Time Elapsed for
(1) game currently being idled
(2) overall time that Idle Master has been running (with how many games idled, how many card drops received)

not necessary... but interesting to see those stats

Good job.
Thank you for your great work. :)

jblank83

EVOLVE

Well, I got the Evolve Alpha key.

No idea how to use it, though. Any help?

IDLE MASTER

There's the first card drop from Idle Master. So far so good. The start.exe command window hasn't updated stating a card drop was achieved or how many other drops there are left. I'm going to assume nothing has gone wrong, and wait another 15 minutes.

Is it okay to use idle master?

dont want valves wrath.

As has been stated many times already, it's perfectly fine.
All it amounts to is the equivalent of you downloading a game, running it, and letting it sit at the title screen until all drops are gone (then exiting that game, downloading the next, etc.).

Except this uses the Steam API to tell Steam you're in the game without you having to download anything and automates the process of moving from game a to b to c.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All it amounts to is the equivalent of you downloading a game, running it, and letting it sit at the title screen until all drops are gone (then exiting that game, downloading the next, etc.).

Except this uses the Steam API to tell Steam you're in the game without you having to download anything and automates the process of moving from game a to b to c.

its basically the same as the "steam_app text file" trick that JaseC has linked here many times before which I use, only in automated form (im not shitting on Shack's or Stump's work with this, im just saying we have known how to idle games without SAM or without downloading them for a long time now)

jblank83

There's a message update: "Checking to see if Titan Attacks! has remaining card drops. Titan Attacks! has 2 card drops remaining".

A couple of minutes late, but everything seems a-ok.

Thank you, jshackles.

Yeah...if anything you're saving bandwidth by not downloading each and every game that has cards.

kind of joking, but still less stress on people's bandwidth both for the user and for valve. i don't imagine they're going to get too upset about it

jshackles

So I can Idle Master and play CSGO at the same time right?

Best case scenario: Idle Master drops cards more slowly
Worst case scenario: not sure -
VAC ban maybe if you're playing competitive?

I definitely recommend not playing games why this is running, especially those where you're connecting to VAC protected servers, just to be safe

Since the program is brand new, there's no telling if Valve will do anything about your running it while connected to VAC servers, is all I'm saying. It's not likely, but you never know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom