• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayMay

Banned
Just bought TW3, seller claimed its ROW. I check my account details, it says its The Witcher 3 RU.

It activated just fine though. Am I in trouble in case it gets locked? Probably not - right?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dear Jshackles

IdleM@ster is crashing for me now. Error message is :

Error launching steam-idle with game ID 8930

8930 is civ V

It looks like I might have got a little too ambitious when making it display the game's name rather than the App ID and forgot to correctly escape special characters. Looks like this one has a © symbol in it. The function to get the name is working correctly, but when it tries to print "Starting game (whatever©) to idle cards" it's throwing an error.

I'll get that fixed up real quick and toss up a new version soon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just bought TW3, seller claimed its ROW. I check my account details, it says its The Witcher 3 RU.

It activated just fine though. Am I in trouble in case it gets locked? Probably not - right?

If it does get locked it won't be any further than cross-region trading/gifting being disabled (properly, this time), which wouldn't affect you since you've already activated your copy. In theory CDPR could lock it down further, but all such cases in the past were ultimately reversed because they affected international users who'd genuinely received the game as a gift, so fear not.

MUnited83

For you.

Only if they put "onlyallowrunin" on it, which is unlikely. You will probably be fine, although it can happen.

youre fine. once you've activated it on your account its safe : )
That would be true if it was a universal sub. It isn't, and CDR can still put "onlyallowrunin" on the restrictions rendering the game unplayable.

Grief.exe

Guys...

They fixed the double games list entries for mac / pc versions of the GTA and CIV games.

I am so happy right now.

That happened a little while ago, Valve also added a listing called 'sortas' in the database that helps to sort games alphabetically.

For example, Dark Souls used to come after Dark Souls II.

Only if they put "onlyallowrunin" on it, which is unlikely. You will probably be fine, although it can happen.

That would be true if it was a universal sub. It isn't, and CDR can still put "onlyallowrunin" on the restrictions rendering the game unplayable.

well then, commence the possible brick shitting till TW3's release.

Knurek

That happened a little while ago, Valve also added a listing called 'sortas' in the database that helps to sort games alphabetically.
For example, Dark Souls used to come after Dark Souls II.

How many years before the client starts counting playtime for non-Steam entries?

MayMay

Banned
If it does get locked it won't be any further than cross-region trading/gifting being disabled (properly, this time), which wouldn't affect you since you've already activated your copy. In theory CDPR could lock it down further, but all such cases in the past were ultimately reversed because they affected international users who'd genuinely received the game as a gift, so fear not.

youre fine. once you've activated it on your account it's safe : )

Good to know, thanks.

Yeahh, that'd suck. But that is so rare - I dont see a reason why they'd do that. Only game in recent memory that had that was Wolfenstein that refused to run in Germany, but that makes sense because of the law etc.

Just checked TW2 in the SteamDB, and one of the RU ones really has the onlyrunin flag. Hmm.. I'll just pray that wont happen lol

_hekk05

Banned
It looks like I might have got a little too ambitious when making it display the game's name rather than the App ID and forgot to correctly escape special characters. Looks like this one has a © symbol in it. The function to get the name is working correctly, but when it tries to print "Starting game (whatever©) to idle cards" it's throwing an error.

I'll get that fixed up real quick and toss up a new version soon.

There's no rush. Take your time writing code ໒(⊙ᴗ⊙)७✎▤

IdleM@ster, changing the world one update at a time

Also can we call it IdleM@ster from now on? With the @ sign? Huehuehue

JaseC

, that'd suck. But that is so rare - I dont see a reason why they'd do that. Only game in recent memory that had that was Wolfenstein that refused to run in Germany, but that makes sense because of the law etc.

Wolf's wasn't retroactive, though. That's the distinction to make here.

Just checked TW2 in the SteamDB, and one of the RU ones really has the onlyrunin flag. Hmm.. I'll just pray that wont happen lol

As above. Amusingly, though, the retail-specific RU sub isn't region-locked (I have it myself).

Code:
16 Jul 2011   The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Retail (RU)   CD Key   Free

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There's no rush. Take your time writing code ໒(⊙ᴗ⊙)७✎▤

IdleM@ster, changing the world one update at a time

Actually, it's already done. You can grab the latest start.exe on Github that should fix this issue.

Higher than in US.
Far Cry 4 is 59,99€ here, with average wage around 700€

That's crazy and doesn't make sense at all, is there any reason to these high prices?

For comparison the average Brazilian wage converted to Euro is 647,66€ and Ass Creed Unity is costing around 43,33€.

MUnited83

For you.
Steam IS a DRM. Masked as a service, but still a DRM.

Eh, not really, no.

Steam is a store
Steam CEG is DRM, a fully optional one. You only release games with DRM on steam if you wish to do so. There are plenty of drm-free games on Steam.

Steam itself is only DRM in the same sense GOG is DRM: You have to login to their service to download your games.

MUnited83

For you.
Yes, really yes. If you buy Witcher 3 on GOG, can you run it without Galaxy? Yes.
If you buy Witcher 3 on Steam, can you run it without Steam? No. Even in offline mode, you still need Steam tu run it.
Some Steam-sold games works without Steam, but are only a very very tiny part.
Steam is a DRM. Maybe it's not invasive as Securom, Tages or so, but is still a DRM.

Read my edit. No, it isn't, and the DRM that it has is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL and the developer's choice. If CDR wants, they can launch it completely region-free on Steam.

EDIT: I just saw your edit and...no, lol. When you download your game from GOG, is done. You don't need GOG or GOG activation to run it.
This example really doesn't fit here.
Neither do you on DRM-free steam games. It's the same thing. So yeah, the example works perfect.

Echoplx

Yes, really yes. If you buy Witcher 3 on GOG, can you run it without Galaxy? Yes.
If you buy Witcher 3 on Steam, can you run it without Steam? No. Even in offline mode, you still need Steam tu run it.
Some Steam-sold games works without Steam, but are only a very very tiny part.
Steam is a DRM. Maybe it's not invasive as Securom, Tages or so, but is still a DRM.

Lol, you defeated your own argument here...

Any game on Steam can function without the client if the developer allows it.

So a question for the people here who love tits; if I wanted to play on a touch device, would I have any luck? Or is the point and click UI too complex?

MUnited83

For you.
Again, no. You can't compare the download from GOG with the download from Steam. Following your example, when you finish to download a game from Steam, you can run it even without Steam. You can't.
Steam is a way to manage digital rights. The fact that each developer can add ADDITIONAL drm is true, but they are additional. Securom, TAGES, GFWL etc.

Again, lies. Yes, I can run a game without Steam if it's DRM-FREE. Steam is not a way to manage digital rights. Steam CEG(which is the drm solution valve offers for free) is, and IT´S OPTIONAL and developer's choice. Steam itself is not, and it will never be a DRM system because that's not how DRM systems work. It's a store.

Echoplx

Again, no. You can't compare the download from GOG with the download from Steam. Following your example, when you finish to download a game from Steam, you can run it even without Steam. You can't.
Steam is a way to manage digital rights. The fact that each developer can add ADDITIONAL drm is true, but they are additional. Securom, TAGES, GFWL etc.

Err, yes you can, there are many games that already allow this

http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

jshackles

Trying to read back over the thread from last night. I see a lot of people had issues with Idle Master for games that had special characters in their names (which is now fixed) but was anyone else having any other problems?

I've got quite a few other "real life" obligations I have to take care of today (turns out, the timing of me launching this wasn't ideal) but if everyone is rocking along with the script I'll toss up a dedicated thread for it soon and try to answer any questions I can in that.

Zia

So... what's the word on Stronghold Crusader 2? Does it look to be good? I saw where it has the dude behind Caesar III at the helm, and that's promising.

Yaska

I thought there were a bunch of game which could be run without Steam. (Tested this briefly with Ctulhu saves the world, which ran fine without Steam).

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

Trying to read back over the thread from last night. I see a lot of people had issues with Idle Master for games that had special characters in their names (which is now fixed) but was anyone else having any other problems?

I've got quite a few other "real life" obligations I have to take care of today (turns out, the timing of me launching this wasn't ideal) but if everyone is rocking along with the script I'll toss up a dedicated thread for it soon and try to answer any questions I can in that.

You have no obligation to us dude. Do your thing.

I ran it over night and when I woke up the process wasn't running anymore and it looks like it stopped with one game left. Is there a timeout or something that will auto-close start.exe after a certain amount of time?

Other than that, it worked flawlessly. I wish I had more than 8 games with cards left. This tool is....something else man.

Turfster

Gamesplanet daily deals:
  • Fallout 3 GOTY 66%
  • Castleyawnia Lords of Snores 2 40%
  • Company of Heroes 2: Digital Collector's Edition 75%
  • Call of Juarez: Gunslinger 75%
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut 60%
  • Napoleon Total War 75%
  • Mars Warlogs 75%
  • X Rebirth 40-44%
  • Painkiller Hell& Damnation 75% off

MUnited83

For you.
Of course, but how many games support this? Almost none. If I remember some OLD games like Doom on Steam can work WITHOUT steam by simply launching the exe file from Steamapps.
But are a very little part.

To allow this practice you must renounce to Steamworks feature like achievements, while non-implemented in game (example: on Memoria you can unlock achievements in-game even in the GOG version, on Steam you unlock both).

Read here too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

Again, lies and misinformation. You can release DRM-free games on Steam and have Steamworks features.
And you continue to ignore that DRM use is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL and if CDR uses it, IT'S THEIR OWN CHOICE.

I seem to have a small issue with Idle Master.

I ran it last night and got a drop or two. Then I slept my computer (I know, should have left it running for extra drops), but when it came back on, there was an error about finding the appID it was currently idling or something like that, so it moved to the next one.

The problem is that Steam wasn't showing me as actually being in a game. I closed Idlemaster and reopened it, but even still, steam shows no game being played, and that 2nd popup that shows the game logo is not appearing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Python 2.x's unicode handling is by far the absolute single worst part about the language. Python 3 nicely fixes unicode, but supports basically none of the most popular modules. FIX THIS GUIDO

JaseC

Of course, but how many games support this? Almost none. If I remember some OLD games like Doom on Steam can work WITHOUT steam by simply launching the exe file from Steamapps.
But are a very little part.

To allow this practice you must renounce to Steamworks feature like achievements, while non-implemented in game (example: on Memoria you can unlock achievements in-game even in the GOG version, on Steam you unlock both).

Read here too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

Don't move the goalposts. Learn from it and move on. You're not the first to erroneously assume all Steam games are tethered to the client and you won't be the last -- it's an understandable mistake as, yes, the vast majority of Steam games do use CEG/"Steam DRM". There's no shame in simply saying, "Oh, I didn't realise that. The more you know."

I got internet back, so hopefully today when i get back, Necrodancer and i can be together at last.

Also, i downloaded Idle Master, but sadly i have nothing to idle. Hopefully once i get back-logged on card drops again i'll be able to see Jshackles masterpiece.

Dr Dogg

I wonder how long the Metro discount is going to last for previous owners? Going by the store description it says for pre-purchase. Hmmmmm?

Flawless for me so far. I'll grab the latest version when I get back but I imagine I'm going to be a bit busy listing a lot of cards! Any issues I'll wait until your up and around here. Take care dude.

JakeD

Again, lies and misinformation. You can release DRM-free games on Steam and have Steamworks features.
And you continue to ignore that DRM use is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL and if CDR uses it, IT'S THEIR OWN CHOICE.

i've brought it up with CDPR a couple times on social media and on their forums that their steam version should not have steam-drm, but have gotten no response from them. it bothers me to see them get so holier-than-thou about DRM, while at the same time forcing their customers to choose between DRM Free and steamworks features. of course if they allow all steam copies to activate on GOG (like TW1 and TW2) then that solves the problem.

almost all games with DRM Free copies sell on the humble store and they include steam keys. it's something us DRM Free fans have come to expect.

also, i vote for adding something to future OPs for the "steam is/isn't DRM" debate, the discussion pops up once a week it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom