• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i've brought it up with CDPR a couple times on social media and on their forums that their steam version should not have steam-drm, but have gotten no response from them. it bothers me to see them get so holier-than-thou about DRM, while at the same time forcing their customers to choose between drm-free and steamworks features. of course if they allow all steam copies to activate on GOG (like TW1 and TW2) then that solves the problem.

CDPR last year strongly suggested that it "doesn't have control" over whether or not the Steam version will contain DRM, which is patently false unless CDPR is being bent over a barrel by Scamco/WB (they're splitting the game's $25m marketing budget, which is $10m higher than the game's development budget, so naturally they have some say).

MUnited83

For you.
i've brought it up with CDPR a couple times on social media and on their forums that their steam version should not have steam-drm, but have gotten no response from them. it bothers me to see them get so holier-than-thou about DRM, while at the same time forcing their customers to choose between drm-free and steamworks features. of course if they allow all steam copies to activate on GOG (like TW1 and TW2) then that solves the problem.

almost all games with DRM Free copies sell on the humble store and they include steam keys. it's something us DRM Free fans have come to expect.

also, i vote for adding something to future OPs for the "steam is/isn't DRM" debate, the discussion pops up once a week it seems
CDR didn't confirm the DRM-free-ness of the Steam version, by outright lying. I assume to make sure people buy it on GOG.
The co-founder and joint chief executive officer at CD Projekt Red also disclosed that “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt” can be purchased through Steam. However, he cautioned that the development studio may not have complete control over the DRM settings in this scenario. You can check out his statement below:

It’ll be on Steam; the team isn’t going to exclude that community by any means. Gamers have a choice in where they buy their games, but where CDPR does have control — like GOG.com — there will be absolutely no DRM.
This is outright bullshit, and if anything it makes me weary of anything CDR says.

Haunted

Idle Master is brilliant, it just might outshine Valve's evil genius implementing the system in the first place.

Not having to install games to idle in them is huge.

JaseC

Well, actually I don't know that to put Steam DRM you need to...well, do it. I think that each game comes with Steam DRM by default, and only a tiny part of them could work without.

It's a completely optional component, even in the case of Steamworks titles, but, yes, there can be behavioural differences between running a Steamworks game from Steam and running it outside of Steam, which is why Trails isn't DRM-free on Steam despite also being on GOG as XSEED doesn't want to deal with the additional tech support variables -- again, though, CEG isn't a requirement in any way, shape or form. Any issues related to a Steamworks game acting funky when run outside of Steam are ones that could be patched up, as Super Meat Boy, Divinity: Dragon Commander, Transistor, etc. prove.

Idle Master is brilliant, it just might outshine Valve's evil genius implementing the system in the first place.

Not having to install games to idle in them is huge.

IdleMaster didn't change this. There were a couple ways to circumvent this before. Where IdleMaster comes into play is 'setting it and forgetting it' by queueing up your games and idling one after another.

Previously you had to idle each game individually

JaseC

Well, now at least I have a idea how Steam DRM works.
Is Witcher 2 on Steam DRM-FREE?

Neither are. I can't exactly blame CDPR for not wanting to give the Steam versions GOG's biggest advantage, though -- there's an understandable conflict of interest there.

What is Idle Master?

Jshack's new program that was created specifically to aid in card idling. The idea is that you load it up and walk away, however there are still some kinks to work out.

Grief.exe

If something like that truly bothers you, then cracking the exe is an easy option to get around Steam.

Valve turns a blind eye and you can run the game completely independently. I had to do exactly that when I was playing San Andreas recently, used the AppID trick to show I was playing the game.

CDR didn't confirm the DRM-free-ness of the Steam version, by outright lying. I assume to make sure people buy it on GOG.

This is outright bullshit, and if anything it makes me weary of anything CDR says.

So you think they're lying when they say they have more control over a GOG release of their game than a Steam release? You realise they own GOG.com, right?

Arthea

I played a lot of Civ5 in offline mode at some point, but I never tried running it without steam, now I wonder does it work without steam? I got used to steam running and it's not really problem, just curious.

If i get cs complete will i get cs1.6 and css as gift in my inventory ? I already have those,i just want csgo and cs complete seems cheaper to get in market than csgo.

JaseC

So you think they're lying when they say they have more control over a GOG release of their game than a Steam release? You realise they own GOG.com, right?

The context is the matter of DRM, not the game's release in general.

If i get cs complete will i get cs1.6 and css as gift in my inventory ? I already have those,i just want csgo and cs complete seems cheaper to get in market than csgo.

No. See this page.

Nabs

This GOG/Witcher talk is giving me a good laugh. Keep it coming.

This is your daily Play SpeedRunners post. It's fun.

MUnited83

For you.
It's not about the release, is about the DRM. They do have complete control over including DRM or not.

Well, I think is right and reasonable. That's why they are offering so many pre-order boni.

I wouldn't say it's right, but as I said above, it's understandable. GOG's main draw is DRM-free games, after all.
With their anti-DRM crusade, I would think they would be extremely hypocritical if they included DRM on the Steam version.

I already bought The Witcher 3 from GOG anyway, the discount for owning the other two games plus the chance for beta access to The Witcher boardgame made it an easy choice. It would be good if they made it DRM free on Steam, but if not there's still cheesemints and cards. All a matter of priorities.

Shadownet

Banned
The protagonist being a German front line soldier is something that is not seen much in media, especially videogames. That alone sets this project apart from most. The footage in the pitch video looks like a early prototype and the images in the kickstarter are actually taken from the same movie. I assume this is because progress is very preliminary. Looking at the total amount being asked, it's clear that backers are being asked to pay the developers rent and food budget. While there is nothing wrong with such small indie games, people should be aware that if the developer or one of his family members gets sick or injured, development will grind to a halt and most likely never be completed.

It was promoted by makeshiftchief in the Steam thread already. Just as it was then, it continues to impress. If the developer can deliver on the promises set in the pitch video, it should be something special. Even in the crowded indie space.

The principle thing everyone will notice is the wonderful hand drawn art used by this game. I can't comment on how the game will turn out, especially due to the grand promises they are making in the video. But, from a pure aesthetic approach I cannot wait for the game to be completed.

This game seems like it is spreading itself thin trying to be the end all to post apocalyptic first person survival games. While I appreciate their courage to tackle such a monumental task, I have to say they are asking for a pittance for a game that needs a lot of work to improve the existing experience let alone expand the game mechanics.

This is also a very troublesome pitch for a kickstarter. It should be noted that at the current backing level, the developers are only promising to deliver a prologue and a 'cinematic intro', for Steam Early Access; and only for the $20 backer level. Unless you are smitten by the idea, I would be cautions about significantly backing an unproven developer.

As of posting, this kickstarter is nothing more than a prototype image of a anthropomorphic mouse and a developer name dropping famous games and nostalgic genres. I don't understand why Shadownet decided to mention it in his post.

This seems interesting, if for the art work alone. I'll keep an eye on the kickstarteor and series as it progresses.

I was laying in bed when I posted all of that. I only look at the artwork and read the quick description. I never said that most of them are worth funding or that you should.

I look at the art style and if it catch my interest then I'll take a closer look later. Maybe I should have clarify. To me "finding it interesting" when talking about a kickstarter project mean purely aesthetic in the beginning.

With their anti-DRM crusade, I would think they would be extremely hypocritical if they included DRM on the Steam version.

I can't speak to the DRM on W1/2, but the thing there is that Steam copies redeemed on GOG, so you basically got a Steam version + a GOG (DRM-Free) version. If they include 'Steam-DRM' on W3 and lock out redeeming on GOG, I can see where the beef is.

JakeD

the problem is not that the GOG version is DRM free, and the Steam version isn't. the problem is that CDPR has gone over-the-top in their marketing and have embraced the role as pro-consumer heroes, when in reality they are worse than the hundreds of games that have quietly released games on humble DRM Free with steam keys. they have a few ways of correcting the issue, (make the steam version DRM free, allow steam version to activate on GOG) but i suppose we'll have to wait til februrary to find out.

i would even be okay with an un-advertised, under-the-table method of "Buy TW3 on GOG, send us an email and we'll send you a steam key"

Terra_Ex

It's not about the release, is about the DRM. They do have complete control over including DRM or not.

Wasn't their spat with Bamco caused by the fact they patched out the drm from the retail version of Witcher 2 (which to be fair was causing performance issues) without their approval. Given all that's happened between them I wouldn't put it past Bamco to be pressing the issue. I'm sure CDPR will eventually allow key redemption on GOG anyway.

MUnited83

For you.
Well, I think is right and reasonable. That's why they are offering so many pre-order boni.

the problem is not that the GOG version is DRM free, and the Steam version isn't. the problem is that CDPR has gone over-the-top in their marketing and have embraced the role as pro-consumer heroes, when in reality they are worse than the hundreds of games that have quietly released games on humble DRM Free with steam keys. they have a few ways of correcting the issue, (make the steam version DRM free, allow steam version to activate on GOG) but i suppose we'll have to wait til februrary to find out.

i would even be okay with an un-advertised, under-the-table method of "Buy TW3 on GOG, send us an email and we'll send you a steam key"
Yep, basically this.

I can't speak to the DRM on W1/2, but the thing there is that Steam copies redeemed on GOG, so you basically got a Steam version + a GOG (DRM-Free) version. If they include 'Steam-DRM' on W3 and lock out redeeming on GOG, I can see where the beef is.
I really doubt they will offer GOG keys this time around. I don't see it happening. At launch at least. They might offer it a few months down the line of course.

But CDPR should be doubl.... triple dipped, right?
I own physical, GOG and Steam versions of both games so far :p

Damn, that's a lot of dipping. Could you explain the appeal of buying a game more than once? I've seen multiple people do it I just don't understand it myself.

baterism

Just checked TiTS badge, 13 cards, each $0.35, means $4.55 each badge. Might be the most expensive badge I've ever seen. I got 7 cards, which means $2.45.

Tempted to sell the cards, but think again I want the badge. Decision, decision.

Phinor

Shit, it's almost like CDPR want you to buy the game directly from GOG so they can get all your monies.

If only they had enough power over GOG to price the game fairly for everyone but I guess their power only extends up to but not including the price of their own game, on their own service. Sure, they are attempting to offer a bit of extra value with the fair price package but in reality, that just doesn't do anything for a lot of people.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Python 2.x's unicode handling is by far the absolute single worst part about the language. Python 3 nicely fixes unicode, but supports basically none of the most popular modules.

Exactly. What I've settled on is in the getAppName function, I'm returning str(unicode(api_data[str(appID)]["data"]["name"])) which, if the game has a non-mutable character will throw an exception. The exception code just returns "app " + appID. So for most things, it'll properly list the name of the game, but if you start idling "Sid Meier's Civilization® V", it'll just be listed as "app 8930".

Dr Dogg

I'm a capitalist Dogg and bought The Witcher III on Steam purely for chessements and cards and in hope CDPR will allow a DRM free copy again at a later date (well fingers crossed). Judge me now if you will.

Actually I was umming and ahhing over the Collectors Swag Griffin Toy Statue Edition for the artbook but no was was I paying £120.

I'd be fine allowing my Steam key to redeem on GOG (probably won't happen right away) to get access to the......'artwork' and stuff.

Don't know when the last time you checked the store page but most of the goodies CDPR were offering on GOG are listed as preorder bonuses for Steam now as well. No Boardgame beta or papercraft dolls and a few others but all the arty stuff and soundtrack looks like it's included. Though I think I know what you mean by 'artwork' :p

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292030/

I'd be fine allowing my Steam key to redeem on GOG (probably won't happen right away) to get access to the......'artwork' and stuff.

Shadownet

Banned
Well Idle Master won't even launch for me right now. Left it on last night, it begins with Terraria, then I'm guessing it stopped after finishing the 2nd game which was System Shock 2. Then it crashed.

Any help?

4c8f7de388e1d564debbc9e38fd4c63d_large.gif

Aegis Defenders on Kickstarter and Greenlight looks awesome

2277155c393bc335474829d7824a53ff_large.gif

17f4512a8e75c6d72e22546a957214d9_large.gif

354d4f883777557655163537b64cb18a_large.gif

9c1b9f0c87a1f5b94c85d2b521b35760_large.gif

That does look awesome.
Voted yes on greenlight, was willing to grab an "early bird" backer @ $10, but for whatever reason, they don't have that tier. In that case, much like Jenny LaClue, I'll wait for the game to release and grab it at some discount shortly thereafter.

_hekk05

Banned
Well Idle Master won't even launch for me right now. Left it on last night, it begins with Terraria, then I'm guessing it stopped after finishing the 2nd game which was System Shock 2. Then it crashed.

Any help?

Update your IdleM@ster. New version fixes problems with unique symbols like ™

kudoboi

This is your daily Play SpeedRunners post. It's fun.

i still have not bought speedrunners. i wanted to buy it 1 or 2 days back but there was only 10 seconds left on the deal and when i finally got to the checkout area it went back to $10 :(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I am using the updated version he uploaded yesterday.

I've published about 3-4 bugfixes this morning. You can just copy start.exe from Github and replace your current one, see if that works for you.

Shadownet

Banned
I've published about 3-4 bugfixes this morning. You can just copy start.exe from Github and replace your current one, see if that works for you.

Thanks jshackles :D just saw that you reupdated earlier this morning. WIll test and see if it work. I think the game its stuck on right now is Burnout Paradise. I think. it crashed too fast for me to see what the game is.

-----------

Edit: okay I did what you told me. it crashed twice, so I just ended up deleting the entire old folder and use the new one.

it still crashed twice and rebooted itself right away. Now it's stable. for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom