• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

capturejormo.png

Is this the first PC game where you can start playing before the download is finished? Why you don't have this feature, Steam? Even smelly console scrubs can do it.

Strazyplus

In my surprise nobody claimed Crysis 2 max.

SO! I am going to have another giveaway SOON maybe within 2-3 hours with:

Crysis 2 MAX
and Bioshock

maybe few others too.

capturejormo.png

Is this the first PC game where you can start playing before the download is finished? Why you don't have this, Steam?

Well its not exactly the first... MMORPGs can do it (World of Warcraft) and I heard some games on ps3/ps4 can do it. I can wait 2-3 hours for a game to install proper than having this gimmick. Steam could easlly add this feature but the problem is every game dev will have to modify their file structure to make it work.

Play a select few games early in a that installs already within 3-4 hours? or download ALL games from the fast and stable servers within 1-2 hours (depending on your ISP not Steam servers)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
capturejormo.png

Is this the first PC game where you can start playing before the download is finished? Why you don't have this feature, Steam? Even smelly console scrubs can do it.

At 198MB I imagine "Play" means "Load the main menu". ;)

Edit: Oh, I didn't see the line at first. I thought the box was just awkwardly placed. But yeah, Valve needs to jump on that bandwagon already. It would have been particularly useful in the case of Wolf14 with AU/NZ getting the short end of the pre-load stick (i.e. there wasn't one at all).

capturejormo.png

I remember Guild Wars being the first game I saw do this. Small initial download, and would gradually download as you played.

aku:jiki

capturejormo.png

Because we all need to do our part in fighting the ADD generation. Sit your ass down and wait for 20 minutes, son! Back in my day, I spent 2 hours downloading the demo for Heretic and then I deleted it after 15 minutes.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Still possible to get a Crew Beta key? Wasn't aware that they were giving those out.

Also don't we have a dev posting here on SteamGaf?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
capturejormo.png

another "quality" uplay release - I've been stuck on the "loading saved data" screen (in game) for the past 20 minutes ...

Shadownet

Banned
Still possible to get a Crew Beta key? Wasn't aware that they were giving those out.

Also don't we have a dev posting here on SteamGaf?

I remember you had to register for beta at the end of E3. I can't remember was it last year or this year.

But no beta code in my email yet :(

Ban Puncher

If anyone wants to claim that Bioshock up there and give it away to a buddy or whatever then I am totally cool with that. I don't want to leave my junk piling up in ModBots house.

Shadownet

Banned
If anyone wants to claim that Bioshock up there and give it away to a buddy or whatever then I am totally cool with that. I don't want to leave my junk piling up in ModBots house.

I got you mate. I'll take that bullet.

thanks for BioShock. I'll find a good home for it. :)

Copons

ZKYLON IF YOURE READING THIS: DONT GO CHECKING OUT NAKED SNAKE THREAD

EDIT: at least not before someone on Nexus replace all those pics with fluffy bears or something.

Copons

But CRAB BATTLE

My balls.
The crabs pics escalate REAL quickly to full fledged spiders...
(I got out of there around the half of the first page, so I dunno, maybe after that it was all cupcakes and waifus)

EDIT
i don't really know if "my balls" applies in English, but still, don't care, sounds fine to me :D

derExperte

Why you do this, Murdered Soul Suspect? Right before the end I can go to every location again to collect remaining collectibles with ONE exception because that triggers the endgame. Now I have 92% achievements and only 14 artifacts missing with probably 4 of those in that location. So if you're a completionist make sure
the museum
is cleaned out before entering
that creepy mansion

Also this game is really short, I'm at 10hrs after doing everything, if someone doesn't care about sidequests, searching for stuff, doesn't read much of the background info and just runs past the evil ghosts the (flimsy) gameplay would only last for about five hours. I still liked what was there but you essentially do nothing more than run around, look for blinking spots and press a button.

Egamer

Good morning/afternoon! Free games! Free games!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Egamer:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Egamer, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Universe Sandbox -- MB-68FC54358F39E0B0 - Taken by Vuze. 1 entrants total.
Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-60990155E21069A6 - Taken by NingenJanai. 3 entrants total.

t1405943915z1.png

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
One hour left

animation3nz.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sub Zero, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Kenshi -- MB-E4AE7403FB736442 - Taken by wilflare. 34 entrants total.

t1405946736z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just finished Singularity. Really enjoyable, surprisingly narrative-rich FPS. Didn't expect the almost survival horror-esque atmosphere the game exudes. Plot was neat, involving time travel and the repercussions of altering the past. Notes and audio logs scattered through the environments helped tell the story. Environments and enemies were interesting, AI was solid, gunplay felt good (game was developed by Raven, using UE3).

Nice variety of abilities at your disposal, unlocked over the course of the game - aging/de-aging objects and enemies, creating a sphere of slowed time that can be used to slow enemies or as a shield, ability to manipulate objects gravity gun-style, and a shockwave attack that damages and knocks enemies back, and makes out-of-phase enemies vulnerable. Puzzles throughout the game make good use of the character's abilities. Game has a fairly involved character and weapon upgrade system. Uses checkpoint save system, which may not be to everyone's taste, but it's well implemented here - frequent enough that you're not stuck replaying long stretches if you die, but still adding a mild element of tension you don't get when you can quicksave/load anywhere.

Game has multiplayer modes, but no bot support that I could see. Can't comment on that aspect of the game - tried to find a match to check it out, but it looks like I was the only person on the internet playing.

Overall, game was an unexpectedly pleasant surprise. Highly recommended.
Nice write up, really enjoyed the impressions. It makes me happy that Singularity is still getting some love.

I hope Kenshi turns out well one day, the ideas behind the game are great and just messing around with the populations in cities is briefly amusing at this point but progress has been pretty slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom