• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblank83

We hAve already reached the point where budgets limit that more than hardware does I think.

Look at what No Man's Sky is doing on a small budget. There are cost-effective approaches to development that can push technology. The problem you're talking about is the problem of "AAA" development. It's a production problem, a marketing problem, a budgeting and project management problem, not a tech problem except perhaps in poor software engineering.

Look at what No Man's Sky is doing on a small budget. There are cost-effective approaches to development that can push technology. The problem you're talking about is the problem of "AAA" development. It's a production problem, a marketing problem, a budgeting and project management problem, not a tech problem except perhaps in poor software engineering.

What does No Man's Sky have to do with pushing polygons in the ways you're talking about?

Shadownet

Banned
your boyfriend IS a pigeon

and you go to a posh school for pigeons

The player character is a human girl who is attending St. PigeoNation's Institute, and is the only human at the institute. As each of the pursuable male pigeons are introduced throughout the game, they are shown with an anime version of what they would look like as a human, though this is only shown for the first meeting

giphy.gif

sounds like your typical anime game plot right there!

Hugstable

Banned
Anyone here beat Teslagrad?
Judging from playtimes from my friendlist, corrosivefrost and Galdere did.
Any of you who played the game instead of card farming, let it be known that I just beat that boss
Jeez, what an adrenaline rush that fight was. I'm not even that mad about all those deaths when Blink decided not to register and the boss toasted me. Seriously.
That phase 3!

heh yeah I picked up the game shortly after the Summer Sale and gotta get around to it sometime. The trailer looked really interesting and I've seen some good impressions of it around here.

Dr Dogg out of this thread makes me real sad. :(

Between him and Woo missing, the amount of brit gentlemenhood in this thread completely sank.

Dogg left too? Damn. Can't say I really blame him though.

These threads have been taking a very sad turn as of late. I barely keep up as it is.
skimming through most of the pages I miss over night...doesn't look like I'm missing much

Welp, time to install 100% Orange Juice.

Edit: I gave up reading the back catalogue of pages. A good chunk of the time it isn't worth slogging through or there's just too much shit in there.

jblank83

What does No Man's Sky have to do with pushing polygons in the ways you're talking about?

The very next sentence of that post answered your question: it is an example of technologically impressive, cost-effective game development.

A single person can write a program that will push a million billion polygons to choke even a dual 290x PC. Pushing technology is not necessarily limited by AAA game budgets. Game budgets are bloated by cutscenes, voice acting, marketing, and numerous factors that have nothing to do with actual programming.

Speevy

Banned
Just beat LOVE. At first, I was really sold on the game. It's just a straightforward platforming challenge. Then it ended, and I was left wondering where the rest of it was.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A single person can write a program that will push a million billion polygons to choke even a dual 290x PC. Pushing technology is not necessarily limited by AAA game budgets. Game budgets are bloated by cutscenes, voice acting, marketing, and numerous factors that have nothing to do with actual programming.

I believe CosmicQueso assumed when you said "push technology", you meant in a more robust way--extremely high quality textures, lots of detailed effects, fluid and varied animations, an enormous amount of unique content and interactions, high end physics, etc. And all of those things do come with a development burden that it would be impossible for NMS to match due to budgetary concerns, which is why they've chosen to generate content procedurally, use a more abstract art style, etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
heh yeah I picked up the game shortly after the Summer Sale and gotta get around to it sometime. The trailer looked really interesting and I've seen some good impressions of it around here.

I bought the game when it launched but ultimately cast it aside due to the wonky controller support, however I ought to give it another chance now that it's received a few patches. Still need to finish the last 2-3 hours of Fable: TLC, though...

The weird thing about Teslagrad, technically speaking, was that I get slowdown in places. Like... I don't see any real reason for it. Maybe it's just engine troubles, I dunno.
I bought the game when it launched but ultimately cast it aside due to the wonky controller support, however I ought to give it another chance now that it's received a few patches. Still need to finish the last 2-3 hours of Fable: TLC, though...
I thought you were already near the end of Fable like 2 weeks ago.

Sky Chief

I had Syberia on my wishlist, is Syberia 2 good as well? Each game is $0.99 but together they are $1.49.

There is also this bundle on Steam for $2.99 http://store.steampowered.com/sub/44455/

The other games are Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals, Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy, and The Egyptian Prophecy: The Fate of Ramses. Are these games any good?

Ozium

I had Syberia on my wishlist, is Syberia 2 good as well? Each game is $0.99 but together they are $1.49.

There is also this bundle on Steam for $2.99 http://store.steampowered.com/sub/44455/

The other games are Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals, Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy, and The Egyptian Prophecy: The Fate of Ramses. Are these games any good?

Syberia 1 is great, I haven't played 2 yet but I've heard it's good but not as good as 1...

The weird thing about Teslagrad, technically speaking, was that I get slowdown in places. Like... I don't see any real reason for it. Maybe it's just engine troubles, I dunno.

I had the same issues with Lara Croft GOL. I don't know if it was slowdown due to network connection since i was playing coop with my brother or if the game was just poorly optimized but i would get slowdown in a section of the game, then have to repeat that section and it would be fine, and then mess up and repeat it again and it would be sluggish. It was really inconsistent and kinda annoying.

game was fun, though.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of salazar547, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cthulhu Saves the World -- MB-242805D86AF4A40C - Taken by darkchewie. 4 entrants total.
Cave Story Plus -- MB-8F4B415E61FC8D90 - Taken by Demon Lizardman. 6 entrants total.
Hammerwatch -- MB-1936963F441F27A1 - Taken by Knurek. 17 entrants total.

t1405975780z1.png

Can someone explain sharing to me and how the library being accessible to only one person at a time is a good thing for me

while you don't play your games others can play your game. When you want to play your game other player has to quit. It's only accessible to one because you wouldn't want 10 people sharing a game simultaneously. When others have to quit, they buy the game (well doubtful, but it could happen). It's win win win situation

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

This screams for the Barbie game, the Bad Rats for the elite!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sequence -- MB-BA13ACA733CDBCA6 - Taken by Fracas. 3 entrants total.

t1405973082z1.png

Edit: ModBot swallowed my Block Story key :p

oh, is it because of the word block?

I had the same issues with Lara Croft GOL. I don't know if it was slowdown due to network connection since i was playing coop with my brother or if the game was just poorly optimized but i would get slowdown in a section of the game, then have to repeat that section and it would be fine, and then mess up and repeat it again and it would be sluggish. It was really inconsistent and kinda annoying.

game was fun, though.
I never had issues with GoL, weird. Well I did on my laptop, but not on my main PC now. I've never played it online though, so I can't really speak for that.

Tizoc

The new Image comic book bundle is nice, I recommend getting it.

For that matter, 5ish hours til Freedom Planet becomes available since its releasing based on US time =)

Nabs

The new Image comic book bundle is nice, I recommend getting it.

For that matter, 5ish hours til Freedom Planet becomes available since its releasing based on US time =)

I'm not sure you can blame that on US time. They could have released it 3 hours ago like everyone else.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought you were already near the end of Fable like 2 weeks ago.

I was...

fabletlcxeciu.jpg

...but I haven't played it since, and I honestly believe that my interested dropped like a rock because during my last playthrough I maxed out my character as best I could (some spells are somewhat tied to your alignment), found the last Hero Doll and Silver Key, opened the last Silver Chest and unlocked the last Demon Door -- there are no more bars to fill or collectables to obtain. :(

Strazyplus

ModBot said:
Instructions for Strazyplus:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bioshock -- MB-EE415CC197C0C78F - Taken by Scipius. 1 entrants total.
Bioshock -- MB-D38F1F10246C8E06 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Bioshock #2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1405972962z1.png
ff

AHA-Lambda

Just finished Abyss Odyssey, Steam says 3.4 hours. That was, I think, my 6th run (last couple were pretty poor), beat warlock first try and I managed to unlock every character as well.

Yeah, for a roguelike it's pretty easy =/

jblank83

I believe CosmicQueso assumed when you said "push technology", you meant in a more robust way--extremely high quality textures, lots of detailed effects, fluid and varied animations, an enormous amount of unique content and interactions, high end physics, etc. And all of those things do come with a development burden that it would be impossible for NMS to match due to budgetary concerns, which is why they've chosen to generate content procedurally, use a more abstract art style, etc.

Procedural generation can push technology in a cost effective manner. Further, the developers of NMS may not be creating numerous hand crafted levels, however they could utilize high quality textures with small budget impact. Nor, as said, is maxing out hardware outside the realm of possibility for a small team. It can be done with a single algorithm, whether that algorithm is useful for any real work or not.

Ultimately, despite the tangential discussions this conversation has wandered into, my point is not that AAA software is inefficiently managed, nor am I overly concerned with the level of complexity of level design the Xbox One is capable of. My point is that technology moves forward rapidly, and software engineering keeps pace with it.

There is a vast gulf between the processing capabilities of PCs today and the new consoles today. Further, several years from now that gulf will be even wider. While some of my favorite games are small games it is also good to see technology pushed to its limits. If that does not happen and the industry stagnates in its current AAA development console paradigm, never pushing current PC tech, that will be a shame.

This isn't an empty fear, either. We've seen several examples of engineering down to the lowest hardware base already. We all know how easy it is for large companies to fall into bad engineering habits. Ergo it is a valid concern, one worth discussing and one worth watching for in the coming months and years.

I was... ...but I haven't played it since, and I honestly believe that my interested dropped like a rock because during my last playthrough I maxed out my character as best I could (some spells are somewhat tied to your alignment), found the last Hero Doll and Silver Key, opened the last Silver Chest and unlocked the last Demon Door -- there are no more bars to fill or collectables to obtain. :(
Wouldn't the last thing to finish be the... story?

Kagemusha

X
ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Marine Sharpshooter II Jungle Warfare -- MB-9EEB0B2C17A3C3CB
LUME -- MB-2BC8F2E9E8F4B7C2 - Taken by taco543
Little Inferno -- MB-C480AA10DF0A364E
GEARCRACK ARENA -- MB-A1A975E3526058D7 - Taken by anastef
Oil Rush -- MB-055FF1C61F093FC8 - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.
Thomas was Alone -- MB-AFB5497D107FFBD6 - Taken by diablogod
C-RUSH -- MB-B5DA2B9388C7D6AA - Taken by Dusk Golem
Supreme Ruler Cold War -- MB-7255006CBB8708DC - Taken by gaiadyne
Mayhem Intergalactic -- MB-48C084E962FE1866
Cobi Treasure Deluxe -- MB-96F2E87436FE4B1C - Taken by dinopoke
Grimind -- MB-6875B777EEAB4C5E
Dark Fall -- MB-E87E6C67C7BEC527 - Taken by Tesseract
Humanity Asset -- MB-527F969F078B3C05

Anteater

man the movements for TR underworld are kind of fucked, it's not like they added anything meaningful to it other than the animations are all completely different

somehow the story is related to both legend and anniversary (a 1996 remake) which i find impressive :lol

man the movements for TR underworld are kind of fucked, it's not like they added anything meaningful to it other than the animations are all completely different

somehow the story is related to both legend and anniversary (a 1996 remake) which i find impressive :lol
How does that even work? I still need to play it, honestly.

dani_dc

Today I dreamt that Sega had released Project Diva F and F 2nd on Steam and that I was playing F 2nd.

I'm not sure what part of that dream is the most depressing, that I'm now dreaming of playing games on Steam or that I'm dreaming about Project Diva coming to Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom