• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
31mins to go on the Nvidia countdown. I still have hope left "the Ultimate" isn't their tablet thingy but the new GFX card line up heh

With the most recent rumours placing the 880 and 870 in Q4, I think it's too early for a formal announcement.

Arthea

I finished Claire. Here's some impressions I had.

That was really helpful, Dusk. You mention narrative in passing, that it is good, but also mention it's psychological game and mention Silent Hill, but also you mention Lone Survivor...
So it made me thinking
lemme ask this again (you probably already know what I'll ask before I even ask), how much of a story is there, how it is important for a game and is it mysterious and full of horrible secrets to uncover?

Halfway ($12.99/£9.99) releases in a few hours. Looks really interesting, but there isn't much information about it floating around. I'll probably wait for a few early impressions before jumping on it.

is it supposed to be Xcom clone?
It does look interesting, though

Autofokus

Halfway ($12.99/£9.99) releases in a few hours. Looks really interesting, but there isn't much information about it floating around. I'll probably wait for a few early impressions before jumping on it.

31mins to go on the Nvidia countdown. I still have hope left "the Ultimate" isn't their tablet thingy but the new GFX card line up heh

It's probably the shield tablet and accesories, it's a shame that it uses nvidia tegra k1 with android instead of windows 8.1, being an 8" tablet the windows 8.1 license would be free.

derExperte

have.... fun?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blogg Story -- MB-53D975505DE17309 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Paradigm Shift -- MB-460DF60FB7D9B781
Sequence -- MB-93360DA1A91ED85E - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.

t1406033731z1.png

If it costs the same as a standard gaming PC, then they can shove that up their big green asses.

I think it's supposed to be $299 / $399 depending on storage capacity, and yes, they can shove it up their asses. I ordered a couple days ago a 8" windows 8.1 tablet for $155.

aku:jiki

Legend of Grimrock is one of those games that I really wanted to get into but couldn't for whatever reason! I didn't get very far into the game when I tried the first time though; maybe I'll revisit it. I do tend to like games like that. The first level kind of put me off with its "you are in a dungeon" theme, even though the giant slugs were certainly different.

That game is super complicated! Was it hard to get into?
I felt right at home, but that's because I played Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore back in the day. I can see how that can be tough to get into today, but I loved the fact that you move tile by tile and turn 90 degrees, just like in the classics. I also found it very atmospheric and immersive (especially with some SweetFX to really make the darkness dark) and the combat can be stressful even though it can, and probably should, be cheesed.

If you can specify what you had trouble with or disliked, I can go into more detail about it. I feel like I learned quite a bit about it as I played through.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I wasn't aware Dreadout was episodic/on a staggered release schedule, thank you for the warning. (I can't stand waiting for that shit, waiting until it's done to play)

Not fully episodic, it's split into two parts, Act 1 and Act 2. Act 2, the second half of the game, releases freely for all purchasers later this year.

That was really helpful, Dusk. You mention narrative in passing, that it is good, but also mention it's psychological game and mention Silent Hill, but also you mention Lone Survivor...
So it made me thinking
lemme ask this again (you probably already know what I'll ask before I even ask), how much of a story is there, how it is important for a game and is it mysterious and full of horrible secrets to uncover?

Not a bad question, you caught onto the fact I was kind of tiptoeing around mentioning the story too much.

The narrative is fairly vague and passive in the first third or half of the game, but with hints on what its about and some confusion on what's going on from the beginning. However, the second half goes more into the narrative, and yes, it is mysterious and full of horrible secrets to discover. The game also takes advantage of symbolism, some more obvious and others more subliminal. The other thing I can mention is that the story is a tad multi-layered, there's more than one thing going on right now basically but its all related around something.

The narrative is not abundant, but definitely has presence. I also would say it felt satisfying, which I was surprised with as while I love many horror games, I find myself more often than not disappointing with how the stories develop, but I would say this was an exception even if it wasn't wildly new. I felt it had good pacing and delivery, despite no vocal dialogue, and was interesting. I've only seen the good ending though, not the other two endings.

Vuze

It's probably the shield tablet and accesories, it's a shame that it uses nvidia tegra k1 with android instead of windows 8.1, being an 8" tablet the windows 8.1 license would be free.

Did the Shield good after all? Bud imported it since it's not available in Europe afaik and he likes it, but I don't really see a reason to get it and even less to get the tablet thing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If it costs the same as a standard gaming PC, then they can shove that up their big green asses.

I was genuinely shocked when Nvidia pulled the Titan-Z from its upcoming line-up following AMD's announcement of the far-more-reasonably-priced 295X, only for it to reappear with the same $3k pricetag -- which is twice that of the latter -- it had earlier.

I just now read on a German newssite that the 'latest rumors' speak of an announcement during Gamescom. http://www.computerbase.de/2014-07/geforce-gtx-880-moeglicherweise-zur-gamescom/

Even that seems rather early unless Nvidia is prepping for a late August/early September launch.

Dell Venue 8 Pro? I'm gonna get one soon too.

No, it's a chinese tablet, the Voyo A1 Mini, costed me 116€, the Dell Venue 8 Pro costs 298€ here :(

The Voyo A1 Mini is basically the same with a newer CPU ( Z3735D instead of the Z3740D ) and much cheaper. Build quality is probably worse though, but I'm not paying 2.5 times as much for the Dell.

Chariot

Well, we don't really need to rely on mods, do we? The best thing to do is NOT to do what Dr Dogg did (though I don't blame him). If we all just throw our hands up in the air and give up, the spammers win. If we try to steer the ship in the right direction by making as many posts as possible about games, we'll win.
"Win". I am honestly annoyed now. We don't have a secret society here whose only purpose is to spam SteamGAF. Yes, it is the right decision to just talk about what ever you want to talk, its correct to tell people, if you get uncomfortable, but I honestly don't like the way to talk. We're not a war, we're not playing a meta game. We're a bunch of humans in a thread, no need for "if we don't fight, they'll win." You can talk to me, to shadownet, to anyone, you know? Do we look that unreasonable? Are we an mustache twirling force that threatens to destory everything out of pure malice?

I am sorry for drifting things up again, but I feel somewhat insulted.

Dusk Golem

Thanks for your impressions, sounds like a great game. I'm usually bad with horror games, but now I really want to play this. Would you say there were a lot of jumpscares?

Nope, the scares came more from a mood, sound, weird surreal "WTF is that!?" type, or the feel of being chased by something. There were a few of monsters breaking out of things, but nothing more than that, and a few unintentional startles as the monster AI can literally follow you all around the map if you let it.

oupi

This is a game I'm paying close attention to, just noticed it yesterday. Lookd interesting.

Yakkue

Nope, the scares came more from a mood, sound, weird surreal "WTF is that!?" type, or the feel of being chased by something. There were a few of monsters breaking out of things, but nothing more than that, and a few unintentional startles as the monster AI can literally follow you all around the map if you let it.

Perfect, I like this kind athmospheric horror so much more that being constantly shocked.

Milamber

No, it's a chinese tablet, the Voyo A1 Mini, costed me 116€, the Dell Venue 8 Pro costs 298€ here :(

The Voyo A1 Mini is basically the same with a newer CPU ( Z3735D instead of the Z3740D ) and much cheaper. Build quality is probably worse though, but I'm not paying almost 3 times as much for the Dell.

Well shit, same as the Dell, cheaper, and it got its own HDMI slot. Wish I knew about this sooner.

EDIT: Oh wait, much smaller battery life at 4-6 hrs.

FloatOn

You're not alone. I remember my twitter timeline exploding on release date. Tons of people lost hours of progress and didn't bother to continue for days. Are you playing the PS4 port or PS3 version? Would be shitty if PS4 had the same problems PS3 had at launchday...

I'm playing the crappy ps3 version. It was so lame, I went down this broken ladder and when I jumped off I fell through the world and died. Both the auto save and the back up save I made no longer work.

Tellaerin

If we don't collectively start exercising some self-restraint soon, someone's going to drop the hammer on us. It's bound to happen sooner or later at the rate we're going, and I'd really prefer not to see that.

I firmly believe we should keep things friendly and informal around here. There are some long-time regulars who I know would prefer these threads to be purely informational, and would like to see all the banter and little digressions weeded out (or shipped off to Community where they won't get in the way of the srs bsns.) I've repeatedly argued against changes in that direction whenever the matter's come up. I believe that would strip the Steam threads of personality, which is what makes them special. Unfortunately, it becomes harder for people to defend that position when we have regular posters abandoning the thread due to the sheer volume of way off-topic posts lately. : /

If you think you might be part of the problem, just try to rein yourself in a little. I'm not saying people should only talk about games and sales in the threads, or that things always need to be uber-serious. Just be mindful. If you think the conversation's going too far off track, try to steer it back towards a relevant topic. Resist the temptation to flood the thread with OT image spam and reaction .gifs - it's fun sometimes, but we should try not to let things snowball into waifunamis and alpacalypses if we can help it. That's all I'm asking.

Dusk Golem

A correction to my Claire review on the last page, I cite there are three endings, as an assumption as when you beat the game it shows your ending score and there's three areas. However, I've found out since then that there's actually at least six endings in Claire, and which ending you get is determined by being above or below a certain requirements, so adding that to my review on Steam at least.

HoosTrax

Yeah, we're thinking of reworking it. The problem is that game makes it VERY VERY CLEAR you are some dude in a base somewhere, giving commands to soldiers. It doesn't make sense (and would change the tactics/strategy/feel of the game significantly) to just click a soldier a right-click somewhere, because that's not actually possible in real life.

We wanted to simulate "building" a voice command, but if it isn't fun, it isn't fun. We'll be doing a lot of focus testing on that stuff.
Ah I see. Well it might be one of those play experiences that's hard to capture properly in a video trailer, and its usage could make more sense in practice. As you say, that's what focus testing is for :)

Knurek

I felt right at home, but that's because I played Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore back in the day. I can see how that can be tough to get into today, but I loved the fact that you move tile by tile and turn 90 degrees, just like in the classics.

If you're not allergic to Uplay, please give Might & Magic X a chance.
Blows Grimrock out of water by not having a real-time fights, and by being open-world.

Yakkue

This might just be one of the many glitches in the Deponia Complete Edition, but does anyone know what's up with my screenshots?

Whenever I take a screenshot, a centimeter or two is cut off from each side, so they look zoomed in. I feel like the games glitches shouldn't affect that and that it's my computer going nuts, but I'm not sure!

I think your screenshot problem is related to your resolution, at least it was when I had a similar issue with a daedalic game in the past. You could try taking screenshots at different resolutions to see which one works best =/

Mono

I felt right at home, but that's because I played Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore back in the day. I can see how that can be tough to get into today, but I loved the fact that you move tile by tile and turn 90 degrees, just like in the classics. I also found it very atmospheric and immersive (especially with some SweetFX to really make the darkness dark) and the combat can be stressful even though it can, and probably should, be cheesed.

If you can specify what you had trouble with or disliked, I can go into more detail about it. I feel like I learned quite a bit about it as I played through.

I never played any dungeon crawlers like Legend of Grimrock back in the day so starting it up was a bit jarring. I can't think of any specific examples since I tried it so long ago, but it felt like it wasn't made for novices to the genre!

I do like how old school it feels while at the same time, the game is gorgeous!

I just reinstalled it again to give it another go; it's only 720 MB. Maybe I'll be able to pinpoint exactly what set me off about it if I still can't get into it this time.

Dusk Golem

Nice write up i'm personally having a hard time with the map find myself constantly looking at it.

Might have to finish it up tonight how long did it take you to finish it?

There were a few areas I had to consult my map constantly to figure out where to go, but that's what I meant in being useful I guess. I did learn the layouts of most levels, but as there's so many paths through an area it can be a bit overwhelming when you first enter a new area.

My time likely will be longer than most as I was playing on the hardest difficulty and had to at a point load an earlier save to save more healing items as I got to a point where I desperately needed some.

I would say the game is about 4-7 hours long with probably a 5-6 hour average the first time, took me 8 personally but I had to redo several areas and reload a few points at an earlier save. The in-game clock said I beat the game in under four hours, but that's because it didn't count me dying/going back and going through areas I already went through but faster.

Arthea

Not fully episodic, it's split into two parts, Act 1 and Act 2. Act 2, the second half of the game, releases freely for all purchasers later this year.

Not a bad question, you caught onto the fact I was kind of tiptoeing around mentioning the story too much.

The narrative is fairly vague and passive in the first third or half of the game, but with hints on what its about and some confusion on what's going on from the beginning. However, the second half goes more into the narrative, and yes, it is mysterious and full of horrible secrets to discover. The game also takes advantage of symbolism, some more obvious and others more subliminal. The other thing I can mention is that the story is a tad multi-layered, there's more than one thing going on right now basically but its all related around something.

The narrative is not abundant, but definitely has presence. I also would say it felt satisfying, which I was surprised with as while I love many horror games, I find myself more often than not disappointing with how the stories develop, but I would say this was an exception even if it wasn't wildly new. I felt it had good pacing and delivery, despite no vocal dialogue, and was interesting. I've only seen the good ending though, not the other two endings.
Thanks again, you told everything I wanted to know, to the wishlist it will go then.

I see it as main problem with most horror games, actually, and why I am rarely interested in playing, let alone finishing them. Scares and atmosphere are all good and needed but they can carry you just as far. Good story is what makes a good horror game and lots mountains of mysteries and secrets.
some mindfucking is necessary too, imo (><)

Also slow pacing is not my forte too, and horror games tend to overdo that for reasons

FloatOn

If we don't collectively start exercising some self-restraint soon, someone's going to drop the hammer on us. It's bound to happen sooner or later at the rate we're going, and I'd really prefer not to see that.

I firmly believe we should keep things friendly and informal around here. There are some long-time regulars who I know would prefer these threads to be purely informational, and would like to see all the banter and little digressions weeded out (or shipped off to Community where they won't get in the way of the srs bsns.) I've repeatedly argued against changes in that direction whenever the matter's come up. I believe that would strip the Steam threads of personality, which is what makes them special. Unfortunately, it becomes harder for people to defend that position when we have regular posters abandoning the thread due to the sheer volume of way off-topic posts lately. : /

If you think you might be part of the problem, just try to rein yourself in a little. I'm not saying people should only talk about games and sales in the threads, or that things always need to be uber-serious. Just be mindful. If you think the conversation's going too far off track, try to steer it back towards a relevant topic. Resist the temptation to flood the thread with OT image spam and reaction .gifs - it's fun sometimes, but we should try not to let things snowball into waifunamis and alpacalypses if we can help it. That's all I'm asking.

Well said. I get seriously creeped out by the anime stuff.

Mono

I think your screenshot problem is related to your resolution, at least it was when I had a similar issue with a daedalic game in the past. You could try taking screenshots at different resolutions to see which one works best =/

Thanks!

Weird, I don't think this game lets you change the fullscreen resolution, even though it lets you in windowed mode. Maybe all Daedalic games are like that? Weird!

Well shit, same as the Dell, cheaper, and it got its own HDMI slot. Wish I knew about this sooner.

EDIT: Oh wait, much smaller battery life at 4-6 hrs.

Yeah, battery life is probably better on the Dell, but not worthy to me to pay the premium price, I have no problem charging it every couple days.

Honestly, I'm most likely part of the problem. But I don't see the problem being that bad. Most of the time the derailing only happen late at night when very few discussions are actually taken place, it also die out after 1-2 pages and move on to something else.

But yeah my opinion might not matter much since I sometimes contribute to this.

Gonna throw my opinion into the ring as well. The bolded is exactly why it has become such a big problem. Every time the current state of the thread is discussed and criticized, some people answer with "It's not that bad", "It was only two pages of waifu pics" , "no fun allowed", "there was nothing Steam-related worth discussing anyway" etc and ignore that other people are annoyed by it. There is a group of a few people who are very very active and vocal and thus are able to drown out everthing else with OT chat and pages and pages of pictures about whatever, and don't see anything wrong with it. There is a SteamGAF chatroom which would be perfect for this kind of talk, but it's not used.

A strong SteamGAF community is great, but this thread should still be accessible for people who don't care about it too much or at all. I'm on the other end of the spectrum and would prefer if it would be kept to an absolute minimum, but maybe we can meet somewhere in the middle so we can all enjoy it. That this has been brought up again and again over the last weeks should be enough evidence that something should change.

Sorry if this offends anyone. I just want the old Steam threads back :/

Dusk Golem

And final Claire game thing, for a 2D game it has some fantastic lighting and retro art. I just thought I'd post a bit here but it looks pretty good, and has some good animation to it too, and interesting attention to detail like almost no two messages sprawled on the wall being the same or some minor sprite thing.

A few Steam screenshots I took, but some of these scenes looked beautiful in motion.

Mono

My GAF account was activated during the summer sale, so I'm not sure how things were in these threads before, but I like them to be informal as well. I don't think I would have made as many friends as I have if it was all serious business talk!

I hope I haven't annoyed anyone; let me know if I'm doing something wrong. :X

Arthea

confession time?
I never had a tablet and never felt any need of one and I like gadgets, well... useful ones, at least.

aku:jiki

If you're not allergic to Uplay, please give Might & Magic X a chance.
Blows Grimrock out of water by not having a real-time fights, and by being open-world.
You've already made me aware of it with your previous posts, but I'm trying to not let my backlog spiral out of control. It looks good, but open world is a minus to me and I actually liked the stress of the real time in Grimrock, even though I'm certainly up for turn-based too. I do have it in mind.

I also have Coldfire Keep in my list, even though I hear that one sucks.

"Win". I am honestly annoyed now. We don't have a secret society here whose only purpose is to spam SteamGAF. Yes, it is the right decision to just talk about what ever you want to talk, its correct to tell people, if you get uncomfortable, but I honestly don't like the way to talk. We're not a war, we're not playing a meta game. We're a bunch of humans in a thread, no need for "if we don't fight, they'll win. You can talk to me, to shadownet, to anyone, you know? Do we look that unreasonable? Are we an mustache twirling force that threatens to destory everything out of pure malice?

I am sorry for drifting things up again, but I feel somewhat insulted.
I did speak directly to Shadownet today and to Gravelord_Nito yesterday, about their spam posting. Shadownet responded by disappearing, Nito responded by telling me to shut up and "deal with it". I'd say both of those responses are unreasonable, yeah.

I never played any dungeon crawlers like Legend of Grimrock back in the day so starting it up was a bit jarring. I can't think of any specific examples since I tried it so long ago, but it felt like it wasn't made for novices to the genre!

I do like how old school it feels while at the same time, the game is gorgeous!

I just reinstalled it again to give it another go; it's only 720 MB. Maybe I'll be able to pinpoint exactly what set me off about it if I still can't get into it this time.
I started typing a post but there's just so many tips to give! You can go with the generic party, they're fine. Put the human and minotaur in front, rogue and mage in the back. Your rogue will get a bow and arrow on level 2 or 3, so she won't stay useless for long. Always look for secrets! Things that look odd or out of place, buttons on the wall, etc. The best loot is in secret rooms, and I'm not sure beating the game without finding most of the secrets is even possible.

To deal with combat, learn the square dance! Find 4 open squares and lead the enemy around by rotating, moving to the side, rotating, moving to the side... You can attack before they can get a chance to.

Knurek

confession time?
I never had a tablet and never felt any need of one and I like gadgets, well... useful ones, at least.

Well, tablets are really babby's first PCs.
It's ingenious how the tech companies are able to sell something despite the product 'vringing you 2006 PC performance for a 2014 PC price'.

Chariot

I did speak directly to Shadownet today and to Gravelord_Nito yesterday, about their spam posting. Shadownet responded by disappearing, Nito responded by telling me to shut up and "deal with it". I'd say both of those responses are unreasonable, yeah.
I can't read that out of your original post. Don't know about nito, but Shadownet probably gone to sleep. Have you seen Lashys posts on the last page urging Shadownet to finally go to bed.

But anyways, the topic resolved around the two pages of anime and you just spoke about a undefined mass of "spammers".
Uplay sucks. Just wanted to play Splinter Cell Blacklist co-op with a friend and couldn't get it to work.

._.
I know that feel. Uplay is a pain for co-op games :/

Arthea

Uplay sucks. Just wanted to play Splinter Cell Blacklist co-op with a friend and couldn't get it to work.

._.

lemme tell you it gonna die before the end of this year, there is no other way!
... wait, I said it the last year too, didn't I? and one year before that and... (._.)

-MD-

confession time?

Oh confession time?

I'm almost 24 and I've never owned a cell phone. I've never used a tablet either.

--

Just got done playing like 3-4 hours of Garden Warfare, finally being able to play with my friends now that the mics are fixed, game is sooooooo good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom