• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished The Wolf Among Us. Yo, pretty tense finale. Gotta need to look up the ending tho, I didn't quite catch what was up with the girl. Also that heartbreaking moment with the goodbye present </3

Overall I must say this is probably my favorite TellTale game so far. I love the bright colors and artstyle in general, characters and voice-acting are really good and the Noire-esque atmosphere is very well done. Can highly recommend it, probably my most favorite-pickup from the sale so far.

Also, consider me shocked that I haven't 100% achievements by playing through it.

I think you need to reload and experience a few of the major decisions the other way to get all lore entries to get 100%.

Like:

Rip and don't rip off the guys arm in the bar in ep. 1.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do want

I guess we should reign in the animu. At least until a new VN is released

People using any sort of context as an excuse send the thread off the rails is exactly the point of contention that has developed over the past few weeks. I don't doubt that the problem is more pronounced now than in the past owing to the recent influx of new active contributors, but this just means all the more effort must be made to exercise some restraint -- when someone posts a picture of food or an alpaca or whatever, 20 others need not do the same just because someone else started it.

As I've said before, there's nothing wrong with a bit of off-topic banter here and there, but when it reaches the point where people are bemoaning what is currently the dominant talking point of the thread then there's clearly a problem.

zkylon

zkylewd
Lol that's cool, no I had no idea. I probably just opened it once and didn't look at it again.

I'll need to see what From has put in it. Probably Rubbish.

not quite

still pretty troll lol

Regarding her identity:
The Nerrisa you saw was actually glamoured Faith, and Faith's head was Nerrisa's.

Hideous? Only if you make it so :p

portraits?

they're ugly as fuck

i dunno why they can't use regular model renders, those look much better and would actually have accurate hair/beard colors/tattoos

JaseC

I've noticed drops recently have been incredibly slow for me, I used to be able to idle a game and get everything within at least 2 hours. Now it takes me at least an entire day or so. I liked it better when cards first came out and I could idle 5 games at once and the drops would just rain down on me.

Haha yeah, those were the good ol' days.

That's Steam telling you that you should actually play Toy Soldiers, it's pretty fun! I think the second one has collectables?

As intriguing as that is, I don't even have the game installed. ;)

I recognized that too but thought it would just be a stilistic device to finish off the game with the words it sorta begun lol
During Bigby's flashback, Snow said Dr. Swineheart still needed to run some tests on the head, implying that he wasn't 100% sure that it belonged to Faith.

wouldn't the glamour have wore off by then? Like it did with Holly's sister?
Lily's glamour didn't wear off, Bigby broke the spell by opening the capsule, and Nerissa's body was never found (so no chance of it being broken ). Plus it all happened in a few days, maybe the spell can hold up much longer.

Vuze

Yeah this, why hasn't the glamour worn off? I assume the doc we're talking about is the same one that helped Bigby so he didn't get lost or something lol

Lily's glamour didn't wear off, Bigby broke the spell by opening the capsule, and Nerissa's body was never found (so no chance of it being broken ). Plus it all happened in a few days, maybe the spell can hold up much longer.

Ah, makes sense, yeah.

JaseC

It's incredibly annoying when a game has two editions but there's only a multi-pack for the standard. It's as though you're being punished for having the audacity to want to hand over more money.

Code:
40551   Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris                         Store or CD Key   11 days ago
47664   Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris Gift                    Gift              11 days ago
47665   Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris 4-Pack                  Store or CD Key   11 days ago
47905   Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris - Collector's Edition   Store or CD Key   6 days ago

Bah.

Tizoc

Not necessarily
You'll need to open the box that had a part of the person you want to be disguised or glamored as. Once you open that box your real form is revealed

Shadownet

Banned

Not necessarily
You'll need to open the box that had a part of the person you want to be disguised or glamored as. Once you open that box your real form is revealed

remember how Wolf keep reminding Mr.Frog to get new glamour? That mean Glamour wear off after a period of time. That should mean glamour can be broken via after expiration date or broken early with the vial.

Even if they never found "Faith" body. The moment the expiration date come, her head should turn back into "Nerissa".

I highly doubt if Faith was the mastermind behind the whole thing, she would be so careless to keep the head in the posession of Snow White, risking the spell run out early. (Though they probably threw the head down the well to buried it quickly.)

Grief.exe

People using any sort of context as an excuse send the thread off the rails is exactly the point of contention that has developed over the past few weeks. I don't doubt that the problem is more pronounced now that in the past owing to the recent influx of new active contributors, but this just means all the more effort must be made to exercise some restraint -- when someone posts a picture of food or an alpaca or whatever, 20 others need not do the same just because someone else started it.

As I've said before, there's nothing wrong with a bit of off-topic banter here and there, but when it reaches the point where people are bemoaning what is currently the dominant talking point of the thread then there's clearly a problem.

I was cringing just going back a few pages.

I know we have already lost some excellent members due to the dip in post quality. I agree, some off topic banter is acceptable, but this month it has reached a critical mass. Generally the sale thread tanks in terms of quality, then it gets back to normal during regular threads. Never left that sale culture behind.

Steam GAF! i have just discovered Enhanced Steam. I'm sure i'm the last to the party on this but i have a question. It's almost certainly stupid so i'll hang my head in shame in advance.

Using Enhanced steam i can see that there are much cheaper alternatives to buying in the UK. It shows me all the prices. Ok so the question *hangs head* do i need to use VPN software to fool steam in to thinking im in that country or is there a way to do it through enhanced steam?

Shadownet

Banned
Steam GAF! i have just discovered Enhanced Steam. I'm sure i'm the last to the party on this but i have a question. It's almost certainly stupid so i'll hang my head in shame in advance.

Using Enhanced steam i can see that there are much cheaper alternatives to buying in the UK. It shows me all the prices. Ok so the question *hangs head* do i need to use VPN software to fool steam in to thinking im in that country or is there a way to do it through enhanced steam?

Don't even think about it. You'll get banned.

JaseC

If you want a game from another region you'll need to have someone gift it to you. Beware of region-locks, though; if you're curious about the region status of something in particular, just ask and someone will check for you.

Don't even think about it. You'll get banned.

Not banned; restricted.

Knurek

Games that aren't region/gifting locked, you can get through a friend that lives in the region.
Using VPN for buying is never a good idea, unless you want your account permanently restricted.
//Edit: Beaten like a Ginger step-child.

[
b]remember how Wolf keep reminding Mr.Frog to get new glamour? That mean Glamour wear off after a period of time. That should mean glamour can be broken via after expiration date or broken early with the vial.

Even if they never found "Faith" body. The moment the expiration date come, her head should turn back into "Nerissa".

I highly doubt if Faith was the mastermind behind the whole thing, she would be so careless to keep the head in the posession of Snow White, risking the spell run out early. (Though they probably threw the head down the well to buried it quickly.)[/b]
The official version is probably subscription based, users had to go back and get casted with glamour spell every time the last one is about to expire.

Faith was not the mastermind of anything, she put her murdered friend's head out there to raise awareness. And it wouldn't matter if Nerissa's glamour wore off, the crooked man was already dealt with.

Grief.exe

Never use a vpn to buy or activate games on steam. You can use a vpn to play a game early on the release date. For example, if the game releases in another region early.

Shadownet

Banned
O RLY? I wondered about that. I'm glad i asked now. Thanks for the answer :)

I'll go back to crying over how much shit costs in the UK #firstworldproblems

My bad, as JaseC pointed out. You'll get restricted.

Probably best not to do it. If you want cheap games. Talk to the Russian and buy a ROW copy from them. (If its possible, some games are region-locked. Ie. Wolfenstein.)

Grief.exe

My bad, as JaseC pointed out. You'll get restricted.

Probably best not to do it. If you want cheap games. Talk to the Russian and buy a ROW copy from them. (If its possible, some games are region-locked. Ie. Wolfenstein.)

I thought wolfenstein was only region locked in Germany due to some symbolism.

Shadownet

Banned
The official version is probably subscription based, users had to go back and get casted with glamour spell every time the last one is about to expire.

Faith was not the mastermind of anything, she put her murdered friend's head out there to raise awareness. And it wouldn't matter if Nerissa's glamour wore off, the crooked man was already dealt with.

idk if Faith as you said did this. She probably got some evil motive. I honestly think, if it is like you said, she probably killed Nerissa, to set off the chain of motion to dethrone CM, so she can finally be free and leave town. Guess we'll wait for season two. I hope its not true though cause I like Nerissa to be alive..

Ban Puncher

It ain't worth jeopardising your entire account and game library to save a few squid.

Just say NO to VPNs.

Unless you're using it to get around region restrictions for Netflix or the WWE Network. Then all bets are off.

JaseC

Never use a vpn to buy or activate games on steam. You can use a vpn to play a game early on the release date. For example, if the game releases in another region early.

I'll add a qualifier in that key activations are (in practice) fine. Valve only gets cross if you attempt to skirt region-specific pricing on the Steam Store itself since, in theory, you're eating into Valve's own cut of the sale.

I thought wolfenstein was only region locked in Germany due to some symbolism.

Cross-region trading/gifting is disabled on the ROW sub.

Yrael

Having played a fair amount of Minecraft, playing Block World from the recent Indie Gala bundle is...a bizarre experience (I've never really gotten into any of the clones before). The developers have opted for a cubic world almost identical to that of Minecraft, but the animal and enemy models are much more "realistic" (ie. not cubic), which is incredibly jarring and off-putting for me. Especially when half the time they're just...floating above the cubes!

zzUsmrb.png

56jjZyv.png

A5sgBNB.png

idk if Faith as you said did this. She probably got some evil motive. I honestly think, if it is like you said, she probably killed Nerissa, to set off the chain of motion to dethrone CM, so she can finally be free and leave town. Guess we'll wait for season two. I hope its not true though cause I like Nerissa to be alive..
Lily, Faith and Nerissa planned to run off, and their plan was disrupted by murders. Faith had two choices, live her miserable life as Nerissa, or take a leap of faith(hehe).

Tizoc

When I read about
Nerrisa being Faith, I thought of you and how you liked Nerrisa. I personally think that Faith is dead and that Nerrisa learned about Bigby from her

Shadownet

Banned
Lily, Faith and Nerissa planned to run off, and their plan was disrupted by murders. Faith had two choices, live her miserable life as Nerissa, or take a leap of faith(hehe).

I seriously hope you're wrong :(

When I read about
Nerrisa being Faith, I thought of you and how you liked Nerrisa. I personally think that Faith is dead and that Nerrisa learned about Bigby from her

if Nerissa is truly dead, I think I'm going to cry. Will you come mourn with me then Tizoc?

Teppic

I like how my laptop is suddenly slow on loading things and scrolling the Steam list feels less smooth than usual, then I remember I hadn't plugged in the power outlet and it's full speed ahead again. It's like the turbo button on my 486 with 33% increase in power.

Knurek

I know we have already lost some excellent members due to the dip in post quality. I agree, some off topic banter is acceptable, but this month it has reached a critical mass. Generally the sale thread tanks in terms of quality, then it gets back to normal during regular threads. Never left that sale culture behind.

While this may be true, we've lost some other excellent members due to constant Modbot giveaways/posts about giveaways/posts complaining about not winning said giveaways (Toma said so in his Indie thread). And before Modbot's conception, there were countless Paint contests going on. Or people talking about Mate/whatever.

Even without all the anime/alpaca/waifu gifs (which are really unnecessary), we always had a very low SNR here.

Unless you split the Steam thread into various ones (game impressions/reviews, giveaway thread, community thread of Alpaca Waifus) I don't really see the situation changing anytime soon.

Mono

I finished the first Deponia game. Wow, that was amazing! It is 8am and I haven't slept yet, so I'll post about it after I sleep, lol

I seriously hope you're wrong :(

if Nerissa is truly dead, I think I'm going to cry. Will you come mourn with me then Tizoc?

I think the Wolf Among Us twist in question may actually be the opposite of what you guys are describing...

I think that Narissa is Narissa and that Bigby never actually met Faith. I believe that Faith was already dead when we supposedly met her, and that Narissa glamoured herself to look like Faith and started a fight with the Woodsma in order to meet the Sheriff and get him to like her. That way, when she put Faith's head on the stoop, the Sheriff would have a personal motivation to give it his all and actually take the Crooked Man down.

In your opinions, do you think Divinity:OS is worth base price?

absolutely if you enjoy old school RPGs

I was cringing just going back a few pages.

I....can't disagree with this. Steam thread has reached the darkest timeline

Tellaerin

Having played a fair amount of Minecraft, playing Block World from the recent Indie Gala bundle is...a bizarre experience (I've never really gotten into any of the clones before). The developers have opted for a cubic world almost identical to that of Minecraft, but the animal and enemy models are much more "realistic" (ie. not cubic), which is incredibly jarring and off-putting for me. Especially when half the time they're just...floating above the cubes!

That's... odd and a little surreal. Can't say I'm necessarily fond of the stylistic mashup there. How's the game itself, though?

The thread now looks like this:

Awesome game by the way, I highly recommend it.

Gah! What did you do to your avatar? It's hard for me to see you as Sly McEvilface after having gotten used to your other one.

Mono

Wait, WHAT!? I did not catch any of that, omg. Now I need to replay that ending scene again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom