• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

I don't understand this statement, they can't own Witcher, because they aren't authors of an original. There is something lost in wording here or it makes no sense.

Simple, really.
Sapkowski owns the IP rights to Wiedźmin.
CDPR owns the trademark for "The Witcher"
The movie will be called "The Hexer"

Arthea

They very well can. Also, this is about the title and not the IP. Cdproject own the The Witcher trademark for games and I assume movies as well.

Having license for games doesn't mean they own the Witcher, you don't think that an author needs to ask their permission to use that name, do you?
They could mean that their license include movies, but then again there was already movie and it was mentioned in this thread, so I find this statement very strange.

Having license for games doesn't mean they own the Witcher, you don't think that an author needs to ask their permission to use that name, do you?
They could mean that their license include movies, but then again there was already movie and it was mentioned in this thread, so I find this statement very strange.

Doesnt the movie predate the games, though?

inm8num2

White keyboards will get gross but at the very least they won't attract every single spec of dust. Really love Das but all of their keyboards are glossy black. Great quality though and outside of the dust it's held up extremely well for two years of constant use. Would highly recommend them if you don't live in a dusty hellhole :p

I replace keyboards more often than mice anyway(ie, every couple of years instead of decade :p) That logitech keyboard seems way too thin for me. I like my clicky blue keys.

Every couple months I clean my keyboard with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol. Gets rid of all the gunk.

Arthea

Simple, really.

it will be?
But I'm positive that I've seen the cover of a book and it had "The Witcher" on it, not Wiedźmin.
And what about a movie you talked some time ago, how was it called?

Kiru

Simple, really.
Wikipedia:
The original Polish name for "witcher" is wiedźmin. The English translation preferred by Andrzej Sapkowski was initially "hexer." "Hexer" was the name used in the international version of the film adaptation. "Hexe" and "hexer" are the German terms for "witch" and "warlock." However, CD Projekt chose to translate "hexer" literally to "witcher" in The Witcher computer game, although they did not coin the translation.[6] Danusia Stok subsequently used this version in her translation of the book The Last Wish. Sapkowski himself used the term "witcher" in his own book Historia i Fantastyka. Michael Kandel used "spellmaker" in his translation of the story "Wiedźmin" in 2010.

Alternatively, the word warlock has been used informally in English translations, while "witcher," being a neologism in English (as wiedźmin is in Polish), arguably describes the uniqueness of Geralt's profession better.

Hexer masterrace confirmed.

it will be?
But I'm positive that I've seen the cover of a book and it had "The Witcher" on it, not Wiedźmin.
And what about a movie you talked some time ago, how was it called?
Movie/Series was called "The Hexer".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How's your PC doing?

Still dead. My mate didn't end up bringing his PC over but he's going to drop off his spare PSU tomorrow evening, so I'll fiddle around with it on Sunday. Having a second PSU will allow me to determine what has died, however the reason I wanted another PC is so I could ensure my PSU still works if it's the motherboard that has kicked the bucket (the paper clip test is a no-go since the PSU will only supply power when required).

In lighter news, this popped up on the side of my house yesterday afternoon, meaning my fibre connection is but a stone's throw away -- it's just a matter of waiting until the distribution cabinet I'm connected to is declared Ready for Service. I'm likely to be one of the first people in the area to order a service, so I shouldn't have to wait long for an installation appointment (modem installations are done on an on-demand basis).

Arthea

Compared to Depth its survival-lite. Depth is a death match arena. Reminds me, I need to play as the shark.

The opening area of Subnautica is safe. Radiation will kill you if you try to head toward your crashed ship. You have to scavenge for parts to upgrade and craft your diving gear. I'm guessing as you go deeper or closer to the radioactive ship the more likely you're to get eaten by something. Only played an hour and died twice. Haven't played World of Diving yet.

I actually keep my eye on both Subnautica and World of Diving, not buying until they are finished and I like what I see after, but awaiting nonetheless.

derExperte

I plan on buying one in the future. They are so expensive though. That money could be put towards a better graphics card :(

They got even more expensive when the Euro got weaker but a shop had a sale so I got one for 'only' slightly above 100€. Tried a few cheaper mechanical keyboards before but there was always something that bothered me (fuck blindingly bright status lights).

Backlogger

Microsoft is yet to address the elephant in the room of whether or not the Win10 Store will signal an end to it releasing games on Steam.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic about this but I will be floored if they sell games on Steam after Windows 10.

Edit: I mean new releases of course, I don't think they would take anything off Steam that is already there.

Hexer sounds a lot cooler than witcher :eek: is the movie going to be an adaptation of the game or movie? I understand that the game is an adaptation of the books but what confuses me is how accurate can the game be when you can make choices in the game and it affects the end

MUnited83

For you.
Again, I didn't say thay own The Witcher. I said they own the trademark, which they absolutely do.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Still dead. My mate didn't end up bringing his PC over but he's going to drop off his spare PSU tomorrow evening, so I'll fiddle around with it on Sunday. Having a second PSU will allow me to determine what has died, however the reason I wanted another PC is so I could ensure my PSU still works if it's the motherboard that has kicked the bucket (the paper clip test is a no-go since the PSU will only supply power when required).

In lighter news, this popped up on the side of my house yesterday afternoon, meaning my fibre connection is but a stone's throw away -- it's just a matter of waiting until the distribution cabinet I'm connected to is declared Ready for Service. I'm likely to be one of the first people in the area to order a service, so I shouldn't have to wait long for an installation appointment (modem installations are done on an on-demand basis).
Woo! Fiber.

Wishlisting steam games on mobile sucks so much. Been trying to add games the past few days but it does not add at all. Switching to desktop view gives me an error. If I use the Steam app, can I wishlist games using it?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Whatever, mom.
Careful you. It's important to stay regular.
metamucil_11484_8_(big)_.jpeg

Wishlisting steam games on mobile sucks so much. Been trying to add games the past few days but it does not add at all. Switching to desktop view gives me an error. If I use the Steam app, can I wishlist games using it?
Yes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ugh. So many console gamers going "WTF Bird Dating Sim, DO NOT WANT.gif" to Hatoful Boyfriend's release date announcement, they're even doing it to Devolver's twitter. SMH.

Also SMH @ the "new romance option!" for the PS4 release. That's probably never coming to Steam/PC thanks to Sony's "we need something new!" policy. :|

MadGear

White keyboards will look gross even faster than black ones. But sure, glossy is the worst, such a stupid trend. Love my (still new, we'll see how it goes) Corsair K70, black metal you don't ever come in contact with, rubber wrist rest, no fingerprints anywhere, easy to clean. Perfect design imo. Their K65 mice look good too but laser-only. :/

I just wish they went with a standard bottom row for their keyboards. I really want to get DSA profile blank PBT caps at some point but this pretty much rules out buying certain keyboards. But finding them is damn near impossible for ISO layout anyway, which is why I'm actually thinking about going ANSI with my next TKL.

Ugh. So many console gamers going "WTF Bird Dating Sim, DO NOT WANT.gif" to Hatoful Boyfriend's release date announcement, they're even doing it to Devolver's twitter. SMH.

Also SMH @ the "new romance option!" for the PS4 release. That's probably never coming to Steam/PC thanks to Sony's "we need something new!" policy. :|

That's pretty aggravating to be honest.

derExperte

I just wish they went with a standard bottom row for their keyboards. I really want to get DSA profile blank PBT caps at some point but this pretty much rules out buying certain keyboards. But finding them is damn near impossible for ISO layout anyway, which is why I'm actually thinking about going ANSI with my next TKL.

I know some of those words and just realized I still have a lot to learn when it comes to mechanical keyboards.

Ban Puncher

I love how a game that you can totally choose not to buy and ignore somehow upsets people.

"It's not enough that I not purchase this title - NONE SHALL HAVE IT."

I call it 'Federation Force Syndrome'. Or being a big, dumb baby.

Sarcasm

Only know what ISO and ANSI mean -.-

Arthea

Again, I didn't say thay own The Witcher. I said they own the trademark, which they absolutely do.

but you see, they didn't say they own the English name (trademark), the quote said brand, that's why we were having this talk at all, not because of what you said.

their loss, they probably never heard about not judging a book by its cover.
Reminds me situation with Long live the Queen a lot, in steam threads btw.

Hexer sounds a lot cooler than witcher :eek: is the movie going to be an adaptation of the game or movie? I understand that the game is an adaptation of the books but what confuses me is how accurate can the game be when you can make choices in the game and it affects the end

The games take place after the books, they aren't a direct adaptation, more like sequels (though obviously not recognized as canon by the author).

Arthea

but guys, the Hexer is not the Witcher (Wiedźmin), different overtone, different meaning, own thing.
I'm not sure why an author is OK with this, I wouldn't be.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I didn't see too many negative reactions in the most recent thread! I think the re-release has been out long enough that the myth that it's just about "having sex with birds" has mostly passed. I'm glad that most of the mystery is still around for new players, even if you have to give them a plot outline of the most important part before they'll understand what the game really is.

Kinda hope they patch in the Touri route into the PC version. The Azami route was hilarious and good fun, which was one Hato Moa added in for the PC re-release.

Double

The Razer-hater brigade is strong on GAF, he stands no chance.

We have a few threads about gaming mice, latest was http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1056797. There's too much choice to say 'buy this' and it depends on your hands and grip style but if you want no acceleration that already limits it to optical mice (I guess, maybe there are laser ones without?). I see you're from Germany so you could for example go here and sort them by rating and cross-check the good ones with what people are saying in the threads. Myself I'm using a Roccat Kone Pure since last year and it has been great, they often get overlooked for whatever reason (though had some built quality problems in the past too). And don't ignore some smaller brands, for example I've been eyeing the fUNC MS-2 for a while, Zowie's aren't available everywhere, same goes for Mionix.

Wireless gaming mice are so 2010.
Alrighty, thanks. Meanwhile 100 new posts in this thread while I've been playing Ori

MadGear

I know some of those words and just realized I still have a lot to learn when it comes to mechanical keyboards.

Only know what ISO and ANSI mean -.-

Sorry ... got carried away.

At the bare minimum you should look into Ten Key Less (TKL) Keyboards, which compared to regular full sized ones simply lack the numpad (for Corsair that would be the K65 keyboard). It gives you more room so you can move mouse/mouse mat and keyboard closer together so you don't need to stretch your arms out as much when gaming. Its a matter of preference but at least to me this feels way more comfortable.
I also rarely miss the numpad at all but I might get a dedicated one in the near future.

Phawx

Just watched Phawx Plays Into The Stars - FTL in 3D - Quick Look / Let's Play

Man, the game looks gorgeous, the planets, stars and nebulae. So good. But it looks also very challenging. Interesting game.

Thanks for linking Veggie!

For those that don't like videos, here's a quick rundown/impression:

Good Stuff:

Game looks amazing
Mining mini-game is a nice offset to the regular core game
Switching between outer ship mode / bridge-mode is a really cool feature
bridge mode UI/UX is very well done
Stats of crew can be leveled up
Tons of options to outfit the ship/crew exactly how you want it

Bad Stuff:

Tons of options to outfit the ship/crew exactly how you want it - It's the only option you have.
No pre-built ships so you can just pick a style and play.
You can't see enemies tailing you when you get alerts, they just pop into place and combat starts
If you sent crew members to do a task and combat starts, they won't immediately come back, but will instead continue doing their pointless task while the ship gets bombarded. (This can be avoided you if you listen to when attacks are coming, but it still doesn't make any sense to me. If you're ship is getting blasted, run back. I can understand their being a few seconds time penalty, but don't have them FINISH whatever mundane task I set them out on.)
Some of the resource usage and other stuff feels like it needs to be tweaked some, or at the very least off difficulty levels that change these variables.

All in all, it's really nice for an Early Access title.

space marine shits on gears from greight height

edit - also the multiplayer was so fun back in the day

I mean i like the game, it's been a joy to play through, but i wish there was like some sort of video that introduces non-40k fans to the universe or something. I'm picking things up here and there but I don't know if I was supposed to be shocked about the demon twist about 2/3s of the way in or if this shit happens all of the time in 40k.

I mean i like the game, it's been a joy to play through, but i wish there was like some sort of video that introduces non-40k fans to the universe or something. I'm picking things up here and there but I don't know if I was supposed to be shocked about the demon twist about 2/3s of the way in or if this shit happens all of the time in 40k.

Demons come from another dimension (sort of)
Facing a demon isn't commonplace in the 40k universe, but it's pretty well done in Space Marine.

Grief.exe

Microsoft is yet to address the elephant in the room of whether or not the Win10 Store will signal an end to it releasing games on Steam.

The biggest issue for me is the indie scene. Most Microsoft published indies are allowed to release on Steam as well.
Forcing lesser-known games to the Windows store will spell huge adoption problems for these games with no marketing budgets.

Like the early days of GFWL where Epic and Cliffy are saying the PC market is dead. No, you're just publishing to one of the worst DRM clients in history.

The Razer-hater brigade is strong on GAF, he stands no chance.

I don't see how you could recommend a Razer product with a straight face.

I believe the DeathAdder is the only mouse to use a decent sensor, and even that has extensive QA and reliability issues.

FloatOn

I should be getting some steam time in tonight. I installed a bunch of local multiplayer games to play with the roommates I picked up over the summer sale:

double dragon neon
toybox turbos
sacred 3
geometry wars 3

also installed these from the summer sale for my single player enjoyment:

strider
walking dead season 2

so many games. so little time.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Aberoth is a free-to-play fantasy massively multiplayer online role playing game with charming retro graphics and tons of freedom.

You start your adventure in an orcish prison with no possessions or skills. Once you escape, your journey of exploration begins. To survive, you must acquire items, learn skills, and join forces with other players to combat the hordes of enemies who inhabit the world.

What makes Aberoth unique?:

• No dungeon instancing.
  • Enemies pick up and use equipment, potions, scrolls, and magical items they find.
  • Dropped items never disappear.
  • You can build permanent structures with items.
  • Unrestricted trading. There are no soulbound or no-drop items.
  • Full PvP. Player killing is allowed almost everywhere (but the game contains many anti-griefing mechanisms).
  • Tame monsters and make them your pets.
  • Polymorph yourself and play as a monster.
  • Over 180 unique items to discover. Item graphics are never reused for different items.
  • Over 30 different monsters to defeat.
  • Over 50 quests to complete.
  • 16 large areas to explore.
  • 9 Non player characters to interact with.
  • 8 unique skills to master.
  • Free to play with no download, installation, or registration required.
  • Works well on low end systems.
  • New content almost every Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom