• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

But Diablo 3 is/was pretty bad compared to D2...

But it isn't? Or if I want to be accommodating about it, it's debatable?
I mean, D3 is a better game in every aspect compared to both D2 and Torchlight 2 as far as I'm concerned, with flaws that were fixed with the patches and the expansion.
Their reasons for including D2 are, as I said, stuff that makes me go "what?" and it's why I don't read RPS, I don't agree with them at all.

:( thats not as cool anymore. I like the idea of there being an existing product and the story is continued (canon or non canon) in video games. Are the books available in English as ebooks? I'd be down to give them a shot, love the lore of the games.

I disagree with him. For all intents and purposes, the games are a sequel to the books. In w1 and w2, he had amnesia, so not a lot of book material is super important to know since even geralt doesn't know. But tw3 feels to me very much like a sequel to the books and definitely treats them as having happened.

For your Yen question, the books definitely inform you why geralt would love her.

Make sure you read in order of polish release (start with last wish, sword of destiny, and then the numbered entries).

Jazz573

I mean, D3 is a better game in every aspect compared to both D2 and Torchlight 2 as far as I'm concerned, with flaws that were fixed with the patches and the expansion.
Their reasons for including D2 are, as I said, stuff that goes me go "what?" and it's why I don't read RPS, I don't agree with them at all.

Lol, what?

Kiru

Their reasons for including D2 are, as I said, stuff that goes me go "what?" and it's why I don't read RPS, I don't agree with them at all.
I agree. I quite enjoy D3. It sure is better than Torchlight 2, and that one is ranked higher than D2 on that list, like wtf.
I think a lot of people didn't return to the game in the meantime and missed all the changes, also the next patch has some awesome stuff again too.

Caerith

Their reasons for including D2 are, as I said, stuff that makes me go "what?" and it's why I don't read RPS, I don't agree with them at all.

D3 is more fun to play, but everything else about it-- the story, the quests, the cutscenes, the economy-- is garbage.

I'd bump it over Dark Souls, cause it's just a goddamn masochist simulator.

I don't really see how dark souls is even an rpg. It's more like an open world action game, right? I mean there is very little dialogue/quests/decisions etc. Great games, but rpg seems a stretch to me.

Coreda

I've seen that image before and I'm sure that its artist is no way involved with the game. I already mailed about it to the artist.

It's a pity fool doesn't have their own game, as they're a very talented pixel artist.

Always liked the Mighty Knightie mockups.

XJ3gSgf.png
FIZx4Nu.png

T0DObwu.png

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Top whatever lists are fallback filler content when there are gaps in noteworthy news or articles to make. Or they just need people giving them clicks.

"Here's a subjective list"

"X is rated higher than Y ARGLBARGL!"

"WHERE IS Z DIS SITE IS TERRIBLE"

IGN/Buzzfeed dumpster tier content.

I would write the little blurbs first, then randomly assign a number and watch the metrics. Interesting experiments you can do with it.

Hektor

I don't really see how dark souls is even an rpg. It's more like an open world action game, right? I mean there is very little dialogue/quests/decisions etc. Great games, but rpg seems a stretch to me.

Its an RPG. Its not an RPG. It all depends on who you ask, RPG is by far one of the most vague genres.

Deitus

I'd bump it over Dark Souls, cause it's just a goddamn masochist simulator.

It's really not. Have you actually played the game?

Yeah forget the campaign. Just enjoy the loot hunt, lol.

But the loot aspect in D3 was horribly done. Granted, I only played the vanilla version. I'm aware they fixed a lot of the loot issues in later patches. Maybe if the base game was actually good I might have stuck around for the patches.

Lain

Lol, what?

Lol what what?

D3 is more fun to play, but everything else about it-- the story, the quests, the cutscenes, the economy-- is garbage.

I know I don't play Diablo games for the story, the quests, the economy or the cutscenes. I play them for the gameplay.
That said, while I could give you economy because D3 on PC has soulbound items and that means no economy (I preferred it when the game had the AH, to be honest, but the majority disagrees so whatever), I could never give you story, quests or cutscenes since to me they are more or less equal in their level of quality, or lack of. Although D3 has some great cutscenes when there's CG involved.

the lore/storytelling is there. you just have to look for it.

I really don't feel that having a story or lore makes it am rpg.

Its an RPG. Its not an RPG. It all depends on who you ask, RPG is by far one of the most vague genres.

Very true. It was probably silly to say. It makes such a vague statement about the game considering you technically play a role in every game in which you play a character. But for example, tw3 leaves me with no question because you have a lot of freedom to play that role in various ways and make it different.

Edit: dark souls / bloodborne are not masochist simulators though. They are definitely challenging but i honestly feel it's somewhat exaggerated.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
And how many of those are actually popular and played by a good amount of people? Are you saying they shouldn't focus on the new Deus Ex and Fallout and even SUPERHOT because they're also coming to consoles?
I'm not saying that they should ignore those at all. But:

Sure but there wouldn't be a lot to post about if they focused on PC only games. There's strategy games, some indies and that's about it
This is factually wrong, whether it's about there not being a lot to post if it was PC only games, or that the only PC exclusives are strategy games or indies.

Also popularity doesn't seem to be an issue with this list, considering they put Recettear and the Sunless Sea on it of all things.

But the loot aspect in D3 was horribly done. Granted, I only played the vanilla version. I'm aware they fixed a lot of the loot issues in later patches. Maybe if the base game was actually good I might have stuck around for the patches.

Diablo 3 has improved so much since its release. And they continue to add stuff with each major patch.

Uzzy

This is why I believe that the term 'RPG' as a genre descriptor is increasingly useless. It's a term that can encompass everything from Baldur's Gate 2, FTL, Recettear and Dark Souls. How can you possibly make any sort of useful comparisons between games under such a term?

Copons

Legit happy to see FTL that high!

(If it were me, I'd have placed Divinity OS higher than those old-school CRPG in the top five, because old-school haters gonna old-school hate)

Caerith

I know I don't play Diablo games for the story, the quests, the economy or the cutscenes. I play them for the gameplay.
That said, while I could give you economy because D3 on PC has soulbound items and that means no economy (I preferred it when the game had the AH, to be honest, but the majority disagrees so whatever), I could never give you story, quests or cutscenes since to me they are more or less equal in their level of quality, or lack of. Although D3 has some great cutscenes when there's CG involved.
It isn't the quality of the story-- which is terrible, make no mistake-- it's the quantity. They interrupt the gameplay so often for cutscenes or dialogues while NPCs open doors or whatever. The few minutes of gameplay they allowed were enjoyable, but ultimately not worth the slog.

Not as vague as Roguelike, amiright?
Nah, Roguelike is pretty strictly defined. So strictly, in fact, that the only two games that are Roguelike are Rogue and Nethack (a clone of Rogue).

Kiru

It isn't the quality of the story-- which is terrible, make no mistake-- it's the quantity. They interrupt the gameplay so often for cutscenes or dialogues while NPCs open doors or whatever. The few minutes of gameplay they allowed were enjoyable, but ultimately not worth the slog.
Azmodan is the worst in that aspect lol:
Nephalem, your misbegotten kind is creation's greatest sin. But your time is done. You'll find only death in my realm.
Destroying my siege weapons makes little difference. Every hour, more of my forces pour forth from the mount of Hell. Soon, they will wipe your pathetic keep from existence!
I do not need my siege weapons to slay you. You stand before in the middle of the army of Hell! It wil crush you!
While you tinkered with your paltry catapults, my demons have breached the depths of your keep. Once thye claim the Black Soulstone for me, your entire world will burn.
An empty victory over a useless tool. You have only delayed your inevitable destruction. Your walls have grown no stronger. Our assault continues unabated. The stone will still be mine.

Yeah ok, you evil mastermind.

Buraindo

It is an RPG and a great one at that.
There's plenty of dialogue, choices and consequences, except the game never puts a spotlight on them because it would be incredibly jarring if it did.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Speaking of Dark Souls, I need to start a new character and play through.

I just finished Demon Souls on the PS3 a few days ago, that shit was tough.

Deitus

Diablo 3 has improved so much since its release. And they continue to add stuff with each major patch.

I'm aware of that, but too little too late. I respect that they finally patched the game up to the state that it should have been at launch, but it doesn't change that the game they charged $60 for was overwhelmingly disappointing. If the game had something in the way of redeeming values, I might have been able to overlook its myriad of flaws while I waited for them to be patched (but it would have been a looong wait).

During the 2 year period between when they launched the game and when they supposedly fixed the loot system, I moved on. It would take a lot more than "we promise the game isn't shit now" to get me to come back.

Also, my Battle.net account got hacked by someone in China, who got the account banned from D3. I managed to recover the account, but I couldn't be bothered to dispute the Diablo ban, since I couldn't see any reason I would ever want to play again.

Also, my Battle.net account got hacked by someone in China, who got the account banned from D3. I managed to recover the account, but I couldn't be bothered to dispute the Diablo ban, since I couldn't see any reason I would ever want to play again.

lol. Same thing happened to me.

Arthea

That list is in general very odd, no single M&M game, did they forget that it exists or something? No Arcanum, no Kotor2, no Diablo?! C'mon now!
I'm not fond of them excluding JRPGs either, although I expected that.

I don't think I like Terreria guys, I've given it probably 10 chances over the last year or so to get me interested and it just doesn't, it feels like a worse version Starbound, which I really like.

Remember easy is normal and normal is hard.

So... it's DMC3 all over again?

This is why I believe that the term 'RPG' as a genre descriptor is increasingly useless. It's a term that can encompass everything from Baldur's Gate 2, FTL, Recettear and Dark Souls. How can you possibly make any sort of useful comparisons between games under such a term?

FTL is an RPG now?
What's next... Zelda?

--

BG2 : CRPG
FTL : Strategy/Roguelike
Recettear : Business Sim/ARPG
Dark Souls: ARPG

Arthea

Zelda is much more accurately called an rpg than ftl is, imo.

I already got tired by arguing what RPG is years ago, but the term is still here and it'll stay, vague or not, but! I'll never agree that Zelda or FTL are RPGs, never, we have to draw the line somewhere or we'll end up with every game being an RPG.

edited: oh yeah, Dwarf Fortress isn't an RPG either.

I already got tired by arguing what RPG is years ago, but the term is still here and it'll stay, vague or not, but! I'll never agree that Zelda or FTL are RPGs, never, we have to draw the line somewhere or we'll end up with every game being an RPG.

IMO, it's simple, unless you start saying everything is an RPG because you're playing the role of another character.

For me, RPG denotes a game where you have character progression through experience gains affecting abilities/attributes as you continue. From there, it branches out depending on the battle system. Is it turn based using menus? Is it real-time? So on and so forth.

Knurek

Anyone with i3+750TI can say how well Witcher 3 works? Can you get 1080p30 without resorting to Sajjaja level of IQ?
I know it's below minimum requirements, but the rig is stronger than XBone, and that piece of hardware is able to run the game okay-ish.
Y U NO demo, CDPRed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom