• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

IMO, it's simple, unless you start saying everything is an RPG because you're playing the role of another character.

For me, RPG denotes a game where you have character progression through experience gains affecting abilities/attributes as you continue. From there, it branches out depending on the battle system. Is it turn based using menus? Is it real-time? So on and so forth.

By that definition, Far Cry 3 is an RPG. Is Devil May Cry? They don't call it experience there, it's red orbs or something instead but basically the same character progression.

Oh, what about Dark Souls when you do a SL1 run? Your character technically doesn't progress, so is it no longer an RPG?

ArjanN

IMO, it's simple, unless you start saying everything is an RPG because you're playing the role of another character.

For me, RPG denotes a game where you have character progression through experience gains affecting abilities/attributes as you continue. From there, it branches out depending on the battle system. Is it turn based using menus? Is it real-time? So on and so forth.

Pretty much.

You can't really get all that more specific than that, or at the end of the day you'll just end up realizing you're that awful type of nerd that gets way too worked up over genre classifications.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Review: Duck Game

QLFYYMC.jpg

Anyone with i3+750TI can say how well Witcher 3 works? Can you get 1080p30 without resorting to Sajjaja level of IQ?
I know it's below minimum requirements, but the rig is stronger than XBone, and that piece of hardware is able to run the game okay-ish.
Y U NO demo, CDPRed?

I have an i5-2500k and a 7850 which is about the same, and below the minimum specs and I can run it at 1080p/30fps, with everything on High. It's looks really nice too.

Here's a screen I took not too long ago to give you an idea of the IQ.

dex3108

My throat hurts so much that every time i swallow something it feels like i swallowed ball made from razors :( So i was lazy almost all day. But i finished Ori and the Blind Forest. That is one beautiful, emotional game with very good gameplay. Yeah there are few sections that are bit harder than others but nothing special. If you love platformers you need to play Ori.

I also played more BattleBlock Theater with my friend and that is also really good game. Cooperation is really key to get A++ on levels. It is hard but after few practice runs you know what to do :D

Uzzy

So, Call of Duty's Multiplayer is an RPG?

Arthea

It's not simple at all. beginning from 90ies, I think, lots of games have RPG elements, as in having some kind of character progression that are not RPGs. RPG is really hard to define and it's getting harder and harder with years. It could be said that if a game has character development, and character progression is vital part of gameplay, also there is complex skill/abilities/affinities system and gameplay mechanics is build on that, supported by quests systems and distribution of experience points, there is 90% chance that the game is an RPG.

By that definition, Far Cry 3 is an RPG. Is Devil May Cry? They don't call it experience there, it's red orbs or something instead but basically the same character progression.

Oh, what about Dark Souls when you do a SL1 run? Your character technically doesn't progress, so is it no longer an RPG?

Just because there's RPG-style experience systems to allow player progression, it does not make them RPGs.

RPG video game definition from wikipedia said:
Role-playing video games use much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics as early pen-and-paper role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons. Players control a central game character, or multiple game characters, usually called a party, and attain victory by completing a series of quests or reaching the conclusion of a central storyline. Players explore a game world, while solving puzzles and engaging in tactical combat. A key feature of the genre is that characters grow in power and abilities, and characters are typically designed by the player.

That fits it pretty well, again, IMO.

It's not simple at all. beginning from 90ies, I think, lots of games have RPG elements, as in having some kind of character progression that are not RPGs. RPG is really hard to define and it's getting harder and harder with years. It could be said that if a game has character development, and character progression is vital part of gameplay, also there is complex skill/abilities/affinities system and gameplay mechanics is build on that, supported by quests systems and distribution of experience points, there is 90% chance that the game is an RPG.

Well said.
RPG elements to give people a sense of player progression and keep them interested in continuing to play.
Pretty much everything has leveling abilities, but people need to use common sense. Is any game with basic leveling mechanics an RPG? Of course not. FC3/DMC mentioned above are clearly FPS and (Character) Action, respectively. But they still incorporate the purchasable/upgradable skill mechanics.

everything is canon[/I] route.)
well it doesn't bother me in the first place, i was just saying that i very much like the idea of their being and existing piece of work that is continued in video game format is all.
I disagree with him. For all intents and purposes, the games are a sequel to the books. In w1 and w2, he had amnesia, so not a lot of book material is super important to know since even geralt doesn't know. But tw3 feels to me very much like a sequel to the books and definitely treats them as having happened.

For your Yen question, the books definitely inform you why geralt would love her.

Make sure you read in order of polish release (start with last wish, sword of destiny, and then the numbered entries).

ok cool, I'm gonna check them out!

A game can have 'RPG-elements' without being an RPG. Far Cry & Tomb Raider would be examples of that.

That shouldn't change anything, these things still exist in the framework of the game. Just because you choose to not use them, doesn't change what the game is.

Splinter Cell & Dishonored and considered 'Stealth' games, but I can play them both full on murder simulators if I want.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
wreckfest_deform_s.png

DAMAGE IS BACK ON TRACK!

We're happy to let you know that the latest hotfix for Wreckfest is now out, giving much needed love to our damage system and making it more brutal than ever before in both single player and multiplayer. The update also improves CPU performance and features a nifty workaround for those having issues running the x64 build. Needless to say, we've also put in a host of other minor fixes, details below.

Please find the changelog here:

• Improved visual damage precision and increased deform strength.
  • Implemented multi-core physics optimizations and other performance improvements.
  • Implemented a temporary x64 build workaround for certain GPUs.
  • Re-enabled automatic controller detection.
  • Fixed positive wheel steering sensitivity curve.
  • NOTE! Positive steering sensitivity values now have a higher effect.
  • Improved brakes and increased handbrake torque (again).
  • Last Man Standing now ends if second to last car is eliminated by contact timer.
  • Fixed replay mode's glitched 4x fast-forward.
  • Implemented various spectator HUD fixes.
  • Tentative fix for multiple copies of a player joining a lobby after a crash.
  • Enabled wheel release for vehicle damage.
  • Added dedicated limited slip differentials for each vehicle.
  • Improved suspension setups of all vehicles.
  • Tweaked gamepad controller slightly.
  • Improved vehicle cameras.
  • Fixed contact audio with various objects.
  • Added new paint jobs for Euro Coupe 2 and American Muscle 3.
  • Fixed missing surface collisions on Tarmac 1.
  • Improved collision of sand mining equipment found on Sandpit 2.
  • Vehicle props on Sandpit 1 no longer cause massive damage and move around.
  • Improved default reference weather.

Thanks for your support and happy wrecking!

Knurek

I have an i5-2500k and a 7850 which is about the same, and below the minimum specs and I can run it at 1080p/30fps, with everything on High. It's looks really nice too.

Here's a screen I took not too long ago to give you an idea of the IQ.

Tthe game is $30 for Poles, ATM. GOG code, but oh well... Will buy the Steam version on Summer Sale 2030 for $2 (and will have hardware to run the game 4Kp60 by then).

Uzzy

Just because there's RPG-style experience systems to allow player progression, it does not make them RPGs.

So, 'a game where you have character progression through experience gains affecting abilities/attributes as you continue' isn't the complete definition of an RPG then?

I would write the little blurbs first, then randomly assign a number and watch the metrics. Interesting experiments you can do with it.

Just put an * by the title and at the very end of the article say the numbering was meaningless and you just wanted to discuss 50 games you thought were meaningful, important additions to the genre.

Also for the fuck of it make Ocarina of Time #1.

Is there a how to not die newbie guide for FTL cuz I keep getting fucked over by enemies in this game after 5-6 jumps.
fEEd.png

There are plenty of great guides in the steam guides section. Just pull them up in your steam overlay ingame.

These should get you started.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136537381
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=287521527
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170276164
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186009491

1st goal: Just make it past the halfway point, which unlocks the second (of many) ships, the Engi cruiser, the real easy mode of the game.

Now its hard for me to lose with the Engi unless I get extremely unlucky.

Prepare to die a lot. The first few hours are very frustrating, but this game hooks you like no other. I had to stop myself playing because I was addicted to it, the cloud saving helped. I would play at home, and then continue at work, also on my brothers's laptop, the cloud save syncing all progress on all computers. I plan on getting addicted all over gain when (if?) they release an android version.

In the earlier sectors mentally make a route when you start a new sector, keeping in mind your fuel reserves.Take the longest path possible to the exit while predicting the approach of the rebel fleet so you don't get caught out. Don't rush the start of the game, explore and farm for equipment for late game. Try to pick every fight you can in the early game when fights are easier. Later on you can skip/bypass fights if its not worth the risk.

The first time you reach the final level it will instill incredible awe and fear. Savour it.

Caerith

RPG video game definition from wikipedia said:
Role-playing video games use much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics as early pen-and-paper role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons. Players control a central game character, or multiple game characters, usually called a party, and attain victory by completing a series of quests or reaching the conclusion of a central storyline. Players explore a game world, while solving puzzles and engaging in tactical combat. A key feature of the genre is that characters grow in power and abilities, and characters are typically designed by the player.

That fits it pretty well, again, IMO.
That's hella vague, though. I mean, again, Far Cry 3:
  • Control a central game character/party? Check.
  • Complete a series of quests or follow a story? Check.
  • Explore a game world? Check.
  • Solve puzzles? Check.
  • Engage in tactical combat? Depends how you're defining "tactical" but yeah: Check.
  • Characters grow in powers and abilities? Check.
  • Characters are designed by the player? No, but neither are the characters in Planescape: Torment.
I'm not arguing that Far Cry is an RPG, but the definition of RPG is basically the definition of a video game.

NotSelf

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NotSelf, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

UFO Afterlight -- MB-3261A709ABC93399 - Taken by anastef
Arma 2 -- MB-9F8DE21EED4E14C0 - Taken by Abomination

Arthea

• Solve puzzles? Check.
  • Engage in tactical combat? Depends how you're defining "tactical" but yeah: Check.
  • Characters are designed by the player? No, but neither are the characters in Planescape: Torment.
I'm not arguing that Far Cry is an RPG, but the definition of RPG is basically the definition of a video game.

Yes and no. It is rather vague, inspite of that many of us know what is RPG and what's not, like for example you know that FC3 is not. Definition can't include importance of character progression and skill systems to gameplay, because that requires even more vague words, as in "feels like RPG", "plays like RPG", progression is vital part of a game, etc.
All tries to improve on the term includes the term itself, as if you don't know what RPG is already (how?) you can't know what it is.
I tried so many times to come up with some sensible definition only to find out that new games renders it useless time and again. But RPG definitely is a genre (hard to define), it's not a video game definition even if it looks like it more often than not.
It's like quantum mechanics more or less.

well, the answer to your question is that yes, a keyboard is fine. It's all about listening to jurassic park dubstep and playing Star Wars Metallica, it's a fever dream of a racing game

rtcn63

Ozium's hubris has escalated tenfold ever since he became a faux-mod. Remember Ozzie. Remember what happened to the Sixth Doctor inside the Tardis console room.

Remember carefully.

Lomax

I still call NBA 2K13 (the player creation mode) the best RPG I've played in the last five years. Basically playing the games replaces the combat in other games, but you truly play a role. Now it lacks an overarching narrative, so that probably disqualifies it in some fashion, but otherwise it does a great job of having you create a role and playing it out (including stat growth, customization, etc). I guess in that sense it's more like pen and paper RPGs than what most people consider video game RPGs to be.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I can't tell if Iosefe really likes Rocket League or if it's some DRAGON THE GAME / Peter Molyneux schtick...

Rocket League

Caerith

Yes and no. It is rather vague, inspite of that many of us know what is RPG and what's not, like for example you know that FC3 is not. Definition can't include importance of character progression and skill systems to gameplay, because that requires even more vague words, as in "feels like RPG", "plays like RPG", progression is vital part of a game, etc.
All tries to improve on the term includes the term itself, as if you don't know what RPG is already (how?) you can't know what it is.
I tried so many times to come up with some sensible definition only to find out that new games renders it useless time and again. But RPG definitely is a genre (hard to define), it's not a video game definition even if it looks like it more often than not.
It's like quantum mechanics more or less.

The act of defining is the act of excluding. To say what an RPG is you have to say what it isn't.

Video games don't have genres like other mediums do. In literature, if you pick up a fantasy book you can be assured there's no rocket ship in it, if you pick up a romance you can be pretty sure the first chapter doesn't end with a dead body and a shady butler. In video games, a game with first-person shooting, ironsights, grenades, and shooting people to get XP can be indisputably an RPG (Fallout: New Vegas) or it can be "not an RPG" (Far Cry 3).

Instead of trying to define video game genres, we should just stick to elements and what a game primarily is. New Vegas and Far Cry 3 both have shooting elements, XP/level up elements, quests and story elements, and choice/consequence elements, but one is primarily about shooting and the other primarily about choice and consequence. Two recipes with the same ingredients, but radically different proportions.

• Solve puzzles? Check.

This is a case where you have to apply the soft plain meaning rule.

Phinor

I installed TrackMania United and yet I lack a wheel. How does it play with keyboard?

A bit late reply but I've bought and played every Trackmania game ever released on PC, including the Starforce infected games, and played every single one of them with a keyboard. It'll do just fine although obviously some people will never be comfortable with specific control methods in specific games so your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom