• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

iosefe

Hundreds of people spamming a set of emotes that they had apparently bought on the featured player's (Jesse Cox) channel, alongside the same level of spam that was present in the Dirty Bomb stream.

So we all got to see endless uses of the phrase, "I murk, I die, I murk again" (Mad Max reference) ad infinitum, all in emotes.
It was horrible

It was horrible

Well, from what Ian said, they decided to leave the spam filters off because it was fun. Even though I was watching/listening to the Bard's Tale IV party stream, which had 1400-plus people, also had giveaways and a faster chat, but didn't have nearly as much spam because they had a bot (Moobot) set up specifically to cut down on emotes in addition to the standard all-caps/links.

I did mention to him in chat to make sure the spam/emote filters are set up for the next stream, because that was ridiculous.

Volimar

R9K won't let me heist though

We need to talk about your heisting.

V5guVoT.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Due to not having a video card currently, I've been playing through my Xbox 360 backlog. I'm posting reviews here not to talk about the games themselves, but rather the frustration that none of them are available on PC all these years later.

Fuse (Insomniac): Surprised at how good this was, but of course I don't have an Xbox Live Gold membership anymore and the game's community is dead; this would have clearly found an audience on PC. After beating the campaign the game has a bunch of horde mode levels, but they're basically unplayable with the AI. The main mechanic of the game is that each character has a special power, and they work synergistically with each other. Unfortunately the AI isn't smart enough to take advantage of them. I would really love to play this with people, and doing that would be easier on PC. I remember when the FUSE animation system popped up in the Steam registry and people momentarily thought it might be Fuse. How disappointing.

Halo 3: This was kinda butt, and the story is nonsense, made worse by the poorly written lore. Shocking how the beautiful skyboxes contrasted the iffy texture, low-geometry models, awkward monster design. Big swaths of the campaign is taken up by fighting zombies for some reason. The last level is a dumb linear driving escape that goes on like massively too long. The first time the epic Halo theme plays it's cool... and then it plays about once every 30 minutes for the rest of the game so it's no longer cathartic. The first time you take down a scarab tank it's pretty cool... and then you do it several more times. Also the campaign is plagued by these mandatory "hallucination" scenes, but in the back half there are parts where control is stolen from you multiple times in like a 30 second period. Finally, the level "Cortana" is just actively terrible. It's not connected to the story before or after it, the level is hideous, it puts the worst parts of the game front and center. Why do people make these shit-filled alien turdscapes near the end of their game? Half-Life: Great game, brilliantly paced, let's put an hour of alien garbage at the end! System Shock 2: Great game, brilliantly paced, let's put several hours of alien garbage at the end! Halo 3: Passable for 2007 I guess, let's put an incredibly shitty alien garbage level at the end! Why? Why?! I don't necessarily think the campaign here would benefit much from a PC release (although it'd have obviously been less hideous). That being said, I think multiplayer clearly would have. Halo 3 would have a vibrant multiplayer community even today if it was released at the time.

Blue Dragon: About 40 hours into this and really really loving it. Finishing up some pre-endgame sidequests and then getting ready to fight the big bad. This game feels very classic like an old Dragon Quest or Chrono Trigger (not just because of the staff overlap). And yet, a lot of what people complain about in old RPGs is fixed here. So many great mechanics: a world map, but with visible enemies that run away as they get weaker than you. Magic that lets you insta-kill weak enemies without fighting them. A risk-reward mechanic that lets you fight multiple groups of enemies at once and gives you bonuses the more you get into. Great checkpointing. Solid pacing. The story is superfluous but the little town-level vignettes are great, like DQ7. Battle system has a great FF5/FFT-ish "Class system plus". Beautiful bright colours and some really wonderful enemy designs.

The only problems: The framerate goes to shit, especially after you get the 5th party member (this is especially bad because the combat system has a lot of timing elements). The depth of field effect doesn't quite work properly which makes these momentary hideous shots. One character screams all of his dialogue, which is super annoying (PC mods would have fixed this immediately).

Next up: Condemned 2: Bloodshot.

Due to not having a video card currently, I've been playing through my Xbox 360 backlog. I'm posting reviews here not to talk about the games themselves, but rather the frustration that none of them are available on PC all these years later.

Fuse (Insomniac): Surprised at how good this was, but of course I don't have an Xbox Live Gold membership anymore and the game's community is dead; this would have clearly found an audience on PC. After beating the campaign the game has a bunch of horde mode levels, but they're basically unplayable with the AI. The main mechanic of the game is that each character has a special power, and they work synergistically with each other. Unfortunately the AI isn't smart enough to take advantage of them. I would really love to play this with people, and doing that would be easier on PC. I remember when the FUSE animation system popped up in the Steam registry and people momentarily thought it might be Fuse. How disappointing.

Halo 3: This was kinda butt, and the story is nonsense, made worse by the poorly written lore. Shocking how the beautiful skyboxes contrasted the iffy texture, low-geometry models, awkward monster design. Big swaths of the campaign is taken up by fighting zombies for some reason. The last level is a dumb linear driving escape that goes on like massively too long. The first time the epic Halo theme plays it's cool... and then it plays about once every 30 minutes for the rest of the game so it's no longer cathartic. The first time you take down a scarab tank it's pretty cool... and then you do it several more times. Also the campaign is plagued by these mandatory "hallucination" scenes, but in the back half there are parts where control is stolen from you multiple times in like a 30 second period. Finally, the level "Cortana" is just actively terrible. It's not connected to the story before or after it, the level is hideous, it puts the worst parts of the game front and center. Why do people make these shit-filled alien turdscapes near the end of their game? Half-Life: Great game, brilliantly paced, let's put an hour of alien garbage at the end! System Shock 2: Great game, brilliantly paced, let's put several hours of alien garbage at the end! Halo 3: Passable for 2007 I guess, let's put an incredibly shitty alien garbage level at the end! Why? Why?! I don't necessarily think the campaign here would benefit much from a PC release (although it'd have obviously been less hideous). That being said, I think multiplayer clearly would have. Halo 3 would have a vibrant multiplayer community even today if it was released at the time.

Blue Dragon: About 40 hours into this and really really loving it. Finishing up some pre-endgame sidequests and then getting ready to fight the big bad. This game feels very classic like an old Dragon Quest or Chrono Trigger (not just because of the staff overlap). And yet, a lot of what people complain about in old RPGs is fixed here. So many great mechanics: a world map, but with visible enemies that run away as they get weaker than you. Magic that lets you insta-kill weak enemies without fighting them. A risk-reward mechanic that lets you fight multiple groups of enemies at once and gives you bonuses the more you get into. Great checkpointing. Solid pacing. The story is superfluous but the little town-level vignettes are great, like DQ7. Battle system has a great FF5/FFT-ish "Class system plus". Beautiful bright colours and some really wonderful enemy designs.

The only problems: The framerate goes to shit, especially after you get the 5th party member (this is especially bad because the combat system has a lot of timing elements). The depth of field effect doesn't quite work properly which makes these momentary hideous shots. One character screams all of his dialogue, which is super annoying (PC mods would have fixed this immediately).

Next up: Condemned 2: Bloodshot.

What happened to your video card?

Did you like Halo/Halo 2 before playing Halo 3? Halo 3 was my introductory SP campaign in the Halo series after playing (and being horribly slaughtered in) a few rounds of Halo 2 MP at a friend's house once. I really wasn't a fan when I was finished. I did try out Halo Reach further down the line, and that really didn't do much for me either.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Blue Dragon was one of my favorite Xbox 360 games, it's a shame that it probably won't ever get a PC release. My kids were pretty little when this came out (7 and 9), and they absolutely loved watching me play through the game - so much so that they also got hooked on the anime that TV Tokyo put out.

I agree with your problem points and also agree that a PC release would have meant the game would be able to run at it's full potential, assuming it was well optimized.

Turfster

Jawmuncher, because of the vapid, utterly worthless turd of epic proportions that is Jurassic World, all dino everything is cancelled for the next 20 years.

Steam keys added for:
  • Ancients of Fasaria: Chess Club, Groupees WGN Never Forget
  • Butsbal, IR Debut 26
  • Lily and Sasha: Curse of the immortals, Groupees Girls Girls Girls 2
  • Ruin, Groupees Apocalypse
  • Agapan, Groupees BAGB 6
  • Super Cyborg, Groupees BAGB 12
  • Hook, Groupees BAGB 18
  • oO, Groupees BAGB 19
  • Star Chronicles: Delta quadrant, Groupees BAGB 23
  • Loot Hero, Groupees Bundle Yourself
  • Yargis, Groupees Drastik Measure Take 2

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jawmuncher, because of the vapid, utterly worthless turd of epic proportions that is Jurassic World, all dino everything is cancelled for the next 20 years.

Woah now. Jurassic World wasn't amazing, but it certainly wasn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

Steam keys added for:
  • Ancients of Fasaria: Chess Club, Groupees WGN Never Forget
  • Butsbal, IR Debut 26
  • Lily and Sasha: Curse of the immortals, Groupees Girls Girls Girls 2
  • Ruin, Groupees Apocalypse
  • Agapan, Groupees BAGB 6
  • Super Cyborg, Groupees BAGB 12
  • Hook, Groupees BAGB 18
  • oO, Groupees BAGB 19
  • Star Chronicles: Delta quadrant, Groupees BAGB 23
  • Loot Hero, Groupees Bundle Yourself
  • Yargis, Groupees Drastik Measure Take 2

Surprise, surprise, Turfster hates something. :3

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

We talking about the lego game or the movie? I thought the movie was good, not great, but I think it's the second best JP film.

---

To make myself more off-topic, the new Ash Vs Evil Dead trailer has me extremely hyped.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What happened to your video card?

Had a 4850 in my old PC, built new PC due to hardware failure a week or two before this years video card announcements, waited for announcements, they ended up not really being what I was looking for, then I had to do some financial shuffling so I'm sort of in limbo.

Did you like Halo/Halo 2 before playing Halo 3? Halo 3 was my introductory SP campaign in the Halo series after playing (and being horribly slaughtered in) a few rounds of Halo 2 MP at a friend's house once. I really wasn't a fan when I was finished. I did try out Halo Reach further down the line, and that really didn't do much for me either.

Played Halo 1, thought it was pretty decent. Played half of Halo 3 when I bought it, thought it was OK. Played ODST, liked that a little better because of the great atmosphere and game layout. I'll probably double back and play 2 if it ever gets a real PC release (i.e. not what it actually got). Not sure if I'll play Reach or onwards.

Blue Dragon was one of my favorite Xbox 360 games, it's a shame that it probably won't ever get a PC release. My kids were pretty little when this came out (7 and 9), and they absolutely loved watching me play through the game - so much so that they also got hooked on the anime that TV Tokyo put out.

I can imagine. The game has a real Saturday Morning Cartoon feel. It's funny how having those sort of personal contexts can really enrich your enjoyment of games. I had a weird personal reaction to this game too--the boss theme, Eternity, is super cheesy, but I actually really like it. It has an early Black Sabbath / Deep Purple feel. Lo and behold, the singer is actually Deep Purple's singer. Before my father died we went to a Deep Purple concert (because he grew up in England and came of age around then) and he also introduced me to games when I was younger. Even when I was an adult, he'd occasionally ask me about what I was playing. I remember him asking "Do they still have Cid in Final Fantasy?" five or six years ago. Hahah.

The sad thing about "losing" last generation to the backwards compatibility vortex is that a lot of these games won't be commercially viable to revive or continue. But I think Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey and a few other weird smaller Japanese titles like Majin and the Forbidden Kingdom and Folklore would actually have developed cult followings if people could still check them out today. :(

Knurek

The sad thing about "losing" last generation to the backwards compatibility vortex is that a lot of these games won't be commercially viable to revive or continue. But I think Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey and a few other weird smaller Japanese titles like Majin and the Forbidden Kingdom and Folklore would actually have developed cult followings if people could still check them out today. :(

Good thing Xenia is showing progress, we might actually get to play them just before Skynet awakens.

Turfster

We talking about the lego game or the movie? I thought the movie was good, not great, but I think it's the second best JP film.
The movie, and no.
It was not good.
It was all the kinds of horrible possible.
ALL THE KINDS.

Star trek Into Darkness?
While also a turd, ST:ID was less bad by a significant margin.

--

Also, the Nuuvem deals rolled over... but not for the EU/UK
Sleepydogs Definitive 6.32$, XCOM:EU Complete 7.26$, Europa Universalis IV 5.68$, apparently. IDK. Fuck regioned pricing.

Werd

Finished Ori and the Blind Forest. Thank you price mistakes.

I knew it would be good, but it still surprised me. Really enjoyed the platforming, handful of set pieces and character/world art. Especially the middle third where the difficulty has ramped up and you don't yet have so many movement abilities. I've got nothing against true indie platformers, but it was nice to really feel the production values this had.

It's the kind of game I would want to go for 100% achievements on, but the no deaths run scares me off. I did 100% clear the map, but ended up still missing one energy and life cell.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Second half of the year, there's a lot of horror games coming, so I'm excited~

The movie, and no.
It was not good.
It was all the kinds of horrible possible.
ALL THE KINDS.

For me it was a dumb. but fun film. The ending 'battle' had me in stitches, but then maybe I just appreciate good B-charm, and the movie had a ton of deliciously cheesy scenes, matched with some good camera-work in places, and dinosaurs doing dinosaur things.

Maybe you are one of the people who doesn't understand the appeal of B-Charm? It's a required taste thing in a lot of cases.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I can honestly say that Tales from the Borderlands is by far the best thing that's come out of the Borderlands franchise.

That's not saying much, but the game is pretty fun. My son is also playing through it, and we've compared notes on what exactly is going on at the end of each chapter. So far, this seems like the most diverse storyline Telltale has put together - it's almost like him and I are playing different games.

milena87

Ok, it's my birthday and I'm celebrating with another $10 game giveaway of your choice.

24 hours so everyone has a fair chance. It can be a $10 game, or any number of games as long as they add up to $10. It can be Steam, Amazon, GMG, GOG, whatever.

Good luck!

Happy Birthday!

--------------

Still no news about Life is Strange episode 4? I hope it'll be out next week. I need to see how it continues :p

oooh ok, wow thats even cooler. love the books? play the games, they're a sequel! so someone like ciri doesn't play a big role in the books im assuming? also for book readers, is Yennifer a cool character in the books or something? cause I genuinely don't understand why Geralt is all over Yen, always disappearing and shit. fuck her, Triss all the way, she always has my back.

Ciri is only second to Geralt in terms of importance in the books. Hell, some of the books have way more Ciri than Geralt, a rather controversial decision for some fans but that I personally didn't mind.
To understand the relation between Yen and Geralt you really need to read the books.
Let's just say that she's Geralt's weakness lol.
The fact that adopting and raising Ciri allowed them to feel like a family for a short while had a huge impact on them (both Witchers and Sorceressesses are sterile) and is the reason the 3 of them are so close.
But yeah, Triss being in all games and becoming more likeable with each one really helps her case, she's not a big character in the books.

If you want to get into the books I made the OP in the community thread to serve as a guide for newcomers.

So what else are people looking forward to in the second half of the year?

Phantom Pain
Below
Cuphead
Mega Man Legacy Collection
Transformers
No Mans Sky

In terms of PC, it's just Zestiria and Battlefront but I played around with Ground Zeroes the other day so I'm now tempted by Phantom Pain. I want to play 1-4 and Peace Walker to (try) to get an idea of the story so I might not end up buying PP this year but it's making its way onto my list.

Ok, it's my birthday and I'm celebrating with another $10 game giveaway of your choice.

24 hours so everyone has a fair chance. It can be a $10 game, or any number of games as long as they add up to $10. It can be Steam, Amazon, GMG, GOG, whatever.

Good luck!

Today as the 10th or today as the 11th (timezones).

My birthday is the 11th, so we may share the same birthday, or at least right next to each other.

Happy birthday to all and, to all, a good year.

What is SteamGAF's opinion of Mr. Randy Pitchford?

PMUBcgh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom