• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingitiz

So what else are people looking forward to in the second half of the year?

Phantom Pain
Below
Cuphead
Mega Man Legacy Collection
Transformers
No Mans Sky

In addition to what you posted...

MadMax
XCOM 2
Rainbow Six Siege
Fallout 4
SW Battlefront
Just Cause 3
Shadowrun HK
Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
Pillars of Eternity: The White March

And I'm sure many indie games popping up from nowhere. Yeah, this year is way better than the last.

Kiru

Maybe someone here wants in:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Total War: Arena (Closed Alpha) -- MB-34D6A0078DEEC5F1 - Taken by gurm3n. 2 entrants total.
Total War: Arena (Closed Alpha) #2 -- MB-5AB16D69F4165783 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 1 entrants total.
Total War: Arena (Closed Alpha) #3 -- MB-B9C3222369F0AB07 - Taken by Se7enSword. 1 entrants total.

t1436618224z1.png

fantomena

So what else are people looking forward to in the second half of the year?

Phantom Pain
Below
Cuphead
Mega Man Legacy Collection
Transformers
No Mans Sky

The ones you listed except for Transformers, but also:

FF Type 0 HD
Tales of Zestiria
Fallout 4
Just Cause 3
Banner Saga 2
King's Quest
Geard Utlimate
Forza 6
Tomb Raider Reboot 2
XCOM 2
Star Wars Battlefront
Mighty No 9
Rainbow Six Siege
Uncharted Collection
Until Dawn
Tearaway Unfolded
Persona 5

Haunted

The Silent Age impressions (~1 hour in, chapter 3 of 11):

+ minimalist, clean vector aesthetic
+ intriguing time travel mystery story (admittedly I'm a sucker for these so ymmv)
+ unique replies for almost any interaction in the game, even non-working combinations
+ full controller support

- classic nonsensical adventure game logic (spoilerish example from an early chapter:
having to use 3 different items and visiting screens several times to get a sharp object with which to cut a regular rope, when there's a bunch of sharp glass shards littering the ground RIGHT NEXT TO THE ROPE as part of the background environment art - inexcusable
)
- small environments and few interactions (which is why they can have unique replies for many things)
- clear remnants if ios control origins remain (which is why it can have ok controller support for a point n click adventure game)

Overall, I like it so far (I suppose me sticking with it depends on how the plot develops, but so far, I'm in) and would recommend it to adventure game friends. 75% off on the Humble Store right now.

derExperte

Battle Squadron got removed from the store two days ago.

Oh, explanation: https://steamcommunity.com/app/383110/discussions/0/523890681407909181/#c530646715641708016

Many thanks for your post
Sorry but we felt we needed to take the game down, until the game’s licensing issue was resolved.
The company that developed the game, were saying that the company that licensed us the game didn’t have the right to do so. Whilst the company that licensed that game said they did.
We found ourselves in the middle, of an argument, so sadly we thought it best to take the game down.
We had hoped that the 2 companies involved would come to an agreement, so the game could be continued to be sold to fans via Steam, but this has not happened yet.

Blue Dragon was one of my favorite Xbox 360 games, it's a shame that it probably won't ever get a PC release. My kids were pretty little when this came out (7 and 9), and they absolutely loved watching me play through the game - so much so that they also got hooked on the anime that TV Tokyo put out.

I agree with your problem points and also agree that a PC release would have meant the game would be able to run at it's full potential, assuming it was well optimized.

Best boss music ever.

Kiru

Is Battle Realms still in trouble in Steam? I heard there were plans to bring it there.

From April:
Hi Everyone. Nothing but bad news today, I'm afraid. The programmer who was key to the final stages of the Steam integration has left the project.

Up til now we have done our very best to deliver this integration, but it has been plagued with unforseen circumstances. It would be very easy for me to get very unpleasant and rant on about a great many things but it would do little.

So here's where we are. We are very close. There are about a dozen bugs that prevent us from making Battle Realms live on Steam. It is heart achingly frustrating for me to be so close and have our key man go away.

Money continues to be tight and there is no solution on the horizon.

As you might expect, I have begun the search for the person or persons who might tap the ball into the goal box. It is only inches away. Arrrgh.

Cross your fingers that I will be able to make magic happen and finish this intergration sooner rather than later.

Ed Del Castillo, frustrated President of Liquid Entertainment
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/311702665/1428022393

I have two Killing Floor guest passes if anyone wants them. It gives full access for a limited period of time.

First two people to PM will get them. Just let me know your Steam name and I will add you and send it across.

Edit: It might take me a bit of time to send them across as I am away from my PC for a lot of today.

Werd

Halo 3's campaign certainly has a nonsense plot and some questionable levels, but some of the sandbox encounters are still among my favorite in the genre. A couple Tsavo highway Brute packs on legendary are seared into my memory.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Halo 3: This was kinda butt, and the story is nonsense, made worse by the poorly written lore. Shocking how the beautiful skyboxes contrasted the iffy texture, low-geometry models, awkward monster design. Big swaths of the campaign is taken up by fighting zombies for some reason. The last level is a dumb linear driving escape that goes on like massively too long. The first time the epic Halo theme plays it's cool... and then it plays about once every 30 minutes for the rest of the game so it's no longer cathartic. The first time you take down a scarab tank it's pretty cool... and then you do it several more times. Also the campaign is plagued by these mandatory "hallucination" scenes, but in the back half there are parts where control is stolen from you multiple times in like a 30 second period. Finally, the level "Cortana" is just actively terrible. It's not connected to the story before or after it, the level is hideous, it puts the worst parts of the game front and center. Why do people make these shit-filled alien turdscapes near the end of their game? Half-Life: Great game, brilliantly paced, let's put an hour of alien garbage at the end! System Shock 2: Great game, brilliantly paced, let's put several hours of alien garbage at the end! Halo 3: Passable for 2007 I guess, let's put an incredibly shitty alien garbage level at the end! Why? Why?! I don't necessarily think the campaign here would benefit much from a PC release (although it'd have obviously been less hideous). That being said, I think multiplayer clearly would have. Halo 3 would have a vibrant multiplayer community even today if it was released at the time.

I think co-op helps a lot with the issues you had with the game. The Scarab battles become challenges to see who can be the first to board it and then who can actually succeed in taking it out (multiple boardings tended to be required on legendary lol). My brother and I hated the Cortana level, but the only reason I remember it so well is because of the bond we shared having suffered through it together. The same applies to a lot of the Flood encounters throughout the series really. I do find it really bizarre that Bungie took the complaints about the infamous "Library" level in Halo 1 so personally and felt the need to punish us in each of the following games as if to say: "hey we like the Flood and we think it's fun, screw you guys for not enjoying it, we will make you!"

Grief.exe

Engagement rings are such a manufactured thing from DeBeers it makes me sick.

I just bought one. The entire industry is a joke.

The extremely hilarious part? Zero resale value. The ring is like a car, you just dump thousands on the ground as soon as you walk out of the store.

The ones you listed except for Transformers, but also:

FF Type 0 HD
Tales of Zestiria
Fallout 4
Just Cause 3
Banner Saga 2
King's Quest
Geard Utlimate
Forza 6
Tomb Raider Reboot 2
XCOM 2
Star Wars Battlefront
Mighty No 9
Rainbow Six Siege
Uncharted Collection
Until Dawn
Tearaway Unfolded
Persona 5

I forgot to put Xcom 2 on my list.

I would pre-order Zesteria right now, but I just know I won't have time to play it. I want to support JRPFs on Steam, but I know it would be a water of money.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
hmm how's hunted the demons forge? compared to other hack and slash rpgs like kingdoms of amalur, that's what I assume it is

I played it in co-op and even co-op couldn't really save the experience. I can't imagine how frustrating it would play through it solo. It is boring and generic stylistically like Amalur, but it is linear so it doesn't waste your time on MMO fetch quests. I wouldn't recommend buying it if you don't own it, but if you already do there is no harm in checking out the first hour or so. The game remains consistent throughout so the start will give you an accurate perspective on the whole product.

Anteater

I played it in co-op and even co-op couldn't really save the experience. I can't imagine how frustrating it would play through it solo. It is boring and generic stylistically like Amalur, but it is linear so it doesn't waste your time on MMO fetch quests. I wouldn't recommend buying it if you don't own it, but if you already do there is no harm in checking out the first hour or so. The game remains consistent throughout so the start will give you an accurate perspective on the whole product.

I was wondering if I should buy it, it's currently $4 on gmg, but yeah if it's too generic/boring and without much progression I guess I'll spend my money elsewhere, since I'd be playing it solo. Thanks for the input!

fantomena

I would pre-order Zesteria right now, but I just know I won't have time to play it. I want to support JRPFs on Steam, but I know it would be a water of money.

Well if you pre-order Zestiria and the tiers gets unlocked, you don't need to buy Symphonia when it comes out. ;)

Supporting JRPGs is never a
water
waste of money.
You know how important pre-order numbers are for pubs and if you really have no time after release you can just request a refund.

Just do it

Since sometimes I discover amazing things, like that windowed mode most of the time get rid of stutter if present, I ask you guys to explain to me this fact:
With fullscreen + vsync, anno 1404 stutters when hovering over a desert with oasis.
Now, with windowed mode the stutter is gone, I presume is something about triple buffering? Bad thing is that edge scroll doesn't work that way.
I discovered something funny though, that I don't understand. If I use MSI Afterburner AND set the framelimit to 60, the stutter is gone. If I don't limit it and MSI is running, it does stutter.
Now I ask, WHY IS THAT??

Since sometimes I discover amazing things, like that windowed mode most of the time get rid of stutter if present, I ask you guys to explain to me this fact:
With fullscreen + vsync, anno 1404 stutters when hovering over a desert with oasis.
Now, with windowed mode the stutter is gone, I presume is something about triple buffering? Bad thing is that edge scroll doesn't work that way.
I discovered something funny though, that I don't understand. If I use MSI Afterburner AND set the framelimit to 60, the stutter is gone. If I don't limit it and MSI is running, it does stutter.
Now I ask, WHY IS THAT??

I can't explain it other than saying PC devs are bad at doing vsync or framepacing, but in my experience using Afterburner for a 60FPS limit and using D3Doverrider for Vsync gets rid of almost all stuttering. It's magical.

I can't explain it other than saying PC devs are bad at doing vsync or framepacing, but in my experience using Afterburner for a 60FPS limit and using D3Doverrider for Vsync gets rid of almost all stuttering. It's magical.

Yeah, but D3DOverrider in this case makes the experience worse, don't know why

Grief.exe

When Banished launched I realized I have a previously unknown love for city builders. These are the ones I have on my account, let me know which ones I am missing.

Banished (beaten)
Cities Skylines (beaten)
Sim City IV (own on Steam)
Sim City 2000 (own on GOG)
Anno 1404 (wishlisted on Steam)
Zeus (wishlisted on GOG)
Tropico series (own most on Steam)

What am I missing GAF?

Chariot

When Banished launched I realized I have a previously unknown love for city builders. These are the ones I have on my account, let me know which ones I am missing.

Banished (beaten)
Cities Skylines (beaten)
Zeus (wishlisted on GOG)

What am I missing GAF?
"Settlers"-series and "Cultures".

Lunaniem

Banished (beaten)
Cities Skylines (beaten)
Zeus (wishlisted on GOG)

What am I missing GAF?

Lethis

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Cth, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Cth, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

$10 Game Of Your Choice -- MB-913F983A3283168D - Taken by spindoctor. 122 entrants total.

t1436668444z1.png

Banished (beaten)
Cities Skylines (beaten)
Zeus (wishlisted on GOG)

What am I missing GAF?

Retro-Pixel Castles is fun but a bit buggy (it is in EA), and their unstable branch updates quite frequently with constant and open communication from the dev. Might be a little more strategy and survival than city-builder though.

Also, Hearthlands (in EA as well).

fantomena

Banished (beaten)
Cities Skylines (beaten)
Zeus (wishlisted on GOG)

What am I missing GAF?

How do you beat a city builder?'

Edit: See someone already asked, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.