• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

I don't know what to play next, my options are:

- Shadowfall: Dragonfall Director's Cut
- STALKER: Call pf Pripyat (Keep in note I have never played a STALKER game)
- Recettear (Thanks Shadownet!)
- Reprisal Universe

thinking.gif

The answer is always STALKER. Always. Play Shadow of Chernobyl first if you've got it (just started my 3rd play through about an hour ago, coincidentally), but if not, fuck it. Call of Pripyat is one of the best games I've ever played.

Maniac

Banned
Don't skip, everything becomes important at some point. Just give it time, it needes a few episodes until it peaks up, but once it's in motion it just won't stop at any cost.

Indeed it is. Great fun!

Yeah, don't like the edgy groubded approach very much.

Me either. Superman is, and always will be, quite a silly thing. I honestly believe he's a superhero more fit for a comedy-ish movie akin to Guardians of the Galaxy than something as serious as Man of Steel & Bat vs Super. For christ sake he's a huge, beefy guy with buttery-smooth hair wearing spandex and a cape, and his alter ego is him with smoother hair and a pair of glasses. It absolutely screams for a comedic spin on the character instead of the grimdark and incredibly dank gritty stuff we're seeing.

#PCMR -- where we get pissed that a game exclusive to consoles was ported over to us so we didn't have to by "peasant" hardware and then bitch because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that a PC could theoretically support.

Also, l can't fathom the mention of horrible KB/M support here. Only PCMR would expect a game designed for consoles/handhelds (and thus built around a controller in terms of gameplay design) to contain wonderfully well adapted keyboard/mouse controls.

KT-Ports are still shitty. Look at DW8XL, that dont have the same features the console version has (online coop), uses some strange icons instead of normal button prompts, need to configure your controller yourself before you play.
Then DoA5 that is missing stages and features the console versions have.

And now the same happens to One Piece, where K-T changed the "online-mp" icon on Steam with just a local-coop icon...

And then they still want full price for games that are missing features.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is it just my mobile or do you have no avatar,

I don't see it either.

I agree that Steam needs an improvement in sorting options, or that Valve leaves things half backed, but I don't see how the curated (but I'd call it simply limited) choice offered by the GOG store is better for an end user. It's a sentiment I've also seen expressed in this thread sometimes and it still feels alien to me.

Valve's attempted to tackle the issue of titles flooding the market by adding store curation rather than striking down everything that isn't AAA or top-shelf indie. It's almost invisible to the user since it integrates with the storefront in a way that's slightly messy, sometimes inaccurate, but tends to be pretty decent at what it's there for. And devs have spoken highly of their titles getting more attention and higher sales numbers after the curated "discovery" update went live.

Being so strict about what makes it on your storefront isn't really the best solution in such an open marketplace. PC benefits from being able to have so much cross-talk between stores like Itch.io, Humble and Steam itself. My only concern is making sure that shameless asset flip titles don't get the opportunity to make money off of stealing. And that's one area that Valve needs to step up to catch before games hit the storefront.

GoG Galaxy as a program is nice and quite cut-down on both features (not really a "good" thing) and bloat, with a certain snappiness I find Steam lacking. It's about time for the whole client to get an overhaul, rather than continuing to have stuff piled on top of the existing codebase. Just recently, I curated an online group I've been with since 2003's move over from Skype to a new VOIP/chat client. This new client offers far better chat functionality, Mumble-style VOIP, and most importantly, is insanely snappier. It even offers group chat functionality (including voice!) through Chrome/Firefox. It made me think about how bad off Steam has truly gotten, and just how much would need to be done to get the client up to more modern standards with less of the weight currently holding it down.

When Steam takes 6 seconds to load my 3 rows of emoticons every time I restart the program, there might be a few ways they can nip and tuck to make the program feel less like a bloated, sluggish whale. But, then again, their Android app has some of the worst performance I've ever seen, so who knows if they'd even be up for the challenge?

Sarcasm aside, KT really do make terrible ports for the PC. They're often missing features or based off of worse versions of the game.

Oh, I know.

I never said it was a great port or that KT made great ports in general. Especially after that DoA5 debacle and my experience with DW8. ;)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When Steam takes 6 seconds to load my 3 rows of emoticons every time I restart the program, there might be a few ways they can nip and tuck to make the program feel less like a bloated, sluggish whale. But, then again, their Android app has some of the worst performance I've ever seen, so who knows if they'd even be up for the challenge?

One thing I've thought for a while is that Steam needs to re-write the client while simultaneously decoupling many or most of the features they've packed into the existing client. By isolating a lot of the codebase (among other things), they should be able to make the client feel a lot more responsive, even if they don't redesign it.

For example, I don't ever use Big Picture Mode, and I'd wager that the majority of people don't often switch between it and the full desktop client regularly. Why not make them separate (but compatible) clients? There are other features built into the client that are completely optional and should possible be split into separate builds or optional branches. I'm looking at you, Steam Broadcasting.

But I can say with all sincerity that Valve doesn't have the manpower at present to make this happen.

lol so i encountered a bug while playing the witcher 3, looks like a clone for an npc was also present during the dialogue. at first i thought it was supposed to be there and i was like why the fuck isn't anyone saying anythig about the look alike thats fanning herself!?

Volimar

lol so i encountered a bug while playing the witcher 3, looks like a clone for an npc was also present during the dialogue. at first i thought it was supposed to be there and i was like why the fuck isn't anyone saying anythig about the look alike thats fanning herself!?

Twins, Basil.

Turfster

The main thing I want from the Steam client is to like, stop freezing for multiple seconds when it's done downloading?

Also, nuuvem's winter sale rolled over again.
BBCSE 8$, BBCT 1.6$, Fahrenheit 2.55$ and other discounts that I can't see because fuck Europe, amirite?

Phawx

This is interesting. I got some PR from Black Shell Media about Dungeon Souls that states: "In its first week on Steam, over 12,000 people bought Dungeon Souls."

Steamspy stats: Owners: 12,918 ± 2,601

That's pretty damn accurate.

komorebi

For example, I don't ever use Big Picture Mode, and I'd wager that the majority of people don't often switch between it and the full desktop client regularly. Why not make them separate (but compatible) clients?

Personally I wouldn't want this. I use BPM because I prefer to play with a controller -- even at my desk. But I admit the main reason I use BPM is for easy screenshots (I like taking tons of pics). When I'm done playing I then use all the community stuff, the store, the forums, etc in normal mode. I wouldn't want to juggle two clients.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Personally I wouldn't want this. I use BPM because I prefer to play with a controller -- even at my desk. But I admit the main reason I use BPM is for easy screenshots (I like taking tons of pics). When I'm done playing I then use all the community stuff, the store, the forums, etc in normal mode. I wouldn't want to juggle two clients.

Yeah but it wouldn't have to be two clients exactly - it could just be an addon to the existing one, with the possibility of running it independently if you preferred never to use the full desktop client. The same with Broadcasting, Family Sharing, or any of the other numerous optional features the client offers.

I'm not saying it would exactly be the best way to do it, but it would probably be something worth exploring. The client is "bloated" because they've added on a bunch of features that not everyone uses. De-coupling these features and making them optional would, at the very least, give people the false impression of speed in exchange for the premise of choice.

komorebi

Yeah but it wouldn't have to be two clients exactly - it could just be an addon to the existing one, with the possibility of running it independently if you preferred never to use the full desktop client. The same with Broadcasting, Family Sharing, or any of the other numerous optional features the client offers.

I'm not saying it would exactly be the best way to do it, but it would probably be something worth exploring. The client is "bloated" because they've added on a bunch of features that not everyone uses. De-coupling these features and making them optional would, at the very least, give people the false impression of speed in exchange for the premise of choice.

Oh okay, I'm not sure how this all works so I assumed you meant two programs running simultaneously. You make good points though. Are you thinking in terms of optional 'modules' that people could choose to add or something to that effect? The client is definitely bloated at this point, it reminds me of how iTunes went down the shitter over the years.

rookiejet

I always accidentally hit the big picture mode.

Ditto. And it almost always screws up my desktop (tiled windows and desktop icons). I'd prefer they space it a little further than it is to the minimize button, or maybe even just make it a menu-only option. Like, I doubt it sees as much utility as the window management buttons anyways.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Edit: Er, wrong tab. But here's a spare:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Elements: Soul of Fire -- MB-2EEA280B0FBFD7B3 - Taken by Deques

Ditto. And it almost always screws up my desktop (tiled windows and desktop icons). I'd prefer they space it a little further than it is to the minimize button, or maybe even just make it a menu-only option. Like, I doubt it sees as much utility as the window management buttons anyways.

I'm still waiting for an option to disable BPM.
I got so sick of having it start up when I had to hold the guide button to turn off my controller that I went and found a workaround that basically intercepts the button press when a game isn't active and throws it away.

Deques

Got a mail from Blink Bundle with a list of all purchased bundles. Here is a spare

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deques, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Alien Zombie Megadeath -- MB-AF59188C71E5A84F - Taken by WinterDemons

Miguel81

I'm still waiting for an option to disable BPM.
I got so sick of having it start up when I had to hold the guide button to turn off my controller that I went and found a workaround that basically intercepts the button press when a game isn't active and throws it away.

That would be a welcome feature. I have no need for BPM, even when I'm on the couch. It's just something extra to annoy me when I decide to use the PS button to turn off my DS3 and Steam is running.

Also, nuuvem's winter sale rolled over again.
BBCSE 8$, BBCT 1.6$, Fahrenheit 2.55$ and other discounts that I can't see because fuck Europe, amirite?

I'm just glad there have been so great sales before I head off to Portugal and get the Euro treatment. Sucks that you guys are locked out.

Anyone noticed that the BPM doesnt start in W10?

If I try to start it with the Xbox Button, Windows 10 always asks if I start a game, but if I click anything, nothing happens.

Oh, I know.

I never said it was a great port or that KT made great ports in general. Especially after that DoA5 debacle and my experience with DW8. ;)

I think from japanese devs KT really puts in the lowest efforts though. I mean if its just a port that is on par with the PS4/Xbox One version I would be satisfied, but the games are missing features the "nextgen" versions have, usually online functionality and want the same money from pc gamers for a port that has less features.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Sober

I know what you mean, but what if its really just mediocre?
Then I guess gamergate wins because then they have absolute positive proof that women can't make games, much less girls.

if that happens just shoot me in the fucking face

In all honesty it looks like it's gotten some good press. It probably can't be all that bad.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

You are the pilot of a highly maneuverable fighter ship codenamed the “Fury”, after the Furies of ancient Mythology. The Fury is made possible by a super conductive core, fused of lava from beneath the surface of Earth and “cryo-lava” from Titan, one of the moons of Venus. Utilizing a newly discovered elemental binding, it has become possible to create a “Geocore” that can generate enough power to drive superconductive technology. An insanely powerful drive system allows the ship and pilot to create a magnetic sphere in which the ship can move in any direction freely and with no inertia. It is up to you to pilot this advanced machine to investigate the mines, where highly advanced robots and remote mining machinery have been deployed to gather the elements needed to make more Geocores. Nothing has been heard from either the robot crews or the mining machines in the main mine, and you have been called upon to investigate.

Gameplay:
6DOF gameplay, setting the player free from the floor and allowing full translation and rotation on all 6 axes.
A focus on balanced multiplayer competition with stable and well tested netcode.
Coop and Single player where you stalk and be stalked by killer machines.

The action is intense, the skill level is high, and the rewards are lifetime friends and enemies. Join the ranks of the toughest pilots in the world, enjoy the company of veterans who can and will show you the ropes, and be proud of your status as part of the elite 6DOF community.

WORKING FEATURES:

• Flip/Grendel Adapter support
  • Full DirectInput Compatibility for older sticks
  • Oculus Rift Support
  • Linux Support
  • Mac Support
  • Coop Gameplay
  • Randomly Generated Maps
  • Classic Multiplayer Maps
  • Full Menu
  • Single Player 1st Map.

WHAT'S NOT WORKING:

• Server Browser
  • CTF
  • Arena Mode
  • Titan Mode
  • Seeker Missile
  • Logic Bomb
  • DDC

WHAT'S COMING:

• More multiplayer maps.
  • The rest of Single Player. (More Bots, More Tilesets, Story Dialog, etc.)
  • Game refinements based on community input. (Weapon and ship tweaks)

Actuality: During the summer of 2003, events in the northeastern United States involving a strange, human-like creature sparked brief local media interest before an apparent blackout was enacted. Little or no information was left intact, as most online and written accounts of the creature were mysteriously destroyed.
Witnesses told stories of their encounters with a creature of unknown origin. Emotions ranged from extremely traumatic levels of fright and discomfort.
In early 2006, the collaboration had accumulated nearly two dozen documents dating between the 12th century and present day, spanning 4 continents. In
almost all cases, the stories were identical...

Do ghosts exist? What about Bigfoot, Chupacabras,Rake or Skinwalkers? And how will we ever know?

"RAKE" is the first game in our series of games about paranormal phenomena.

You play as Gordon Davis, a scientist, a traveller and an explorer of unknown creatures and unusual events. Having learnt one more legends, Gordon travels through
the country in search of poltergeists,Bigfoot, Mothman and other American legends...exploring haunted houses, trekking through creepy bushy forests and scanning the sky and lakes to collect data about the mystical events...

So, you are in the place where the strange humanoid - Rake was most frequently seen. Most often he was seen at night. Therefore, you can use the cameras, motion sensors, night vision device for the strange phenomena detection. In the afternoon you are installing equipment in all areas of the forest. You can also mount the cameras on animals, if you manage to lure them into a trap. At nightfall your task is to watch on the monitor for events taking place in the forest. You can switch between the cameras. If you notice something unusual, you can go to a place where the camera has spotted the creature. Do not forget to take a rifle. So you have to hunt down a strange creature, and then kill it or trap it. However, be careful, it can disrupt your plans ... And while watching on the monitor, be aware, it could be closer than you think. The game is over, when you will it... or it kills you...
Good luck!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I think it's time I say the whole "Post every 'Added store name' item that pops up on SteamDB" thing has run its course. People, including myself, did in the past (well, DLC aside) but ultimately stopped because some found it more annoying than informative. If Half-Life 3 suddenly appears, sure, go right ahead, but there's no need to mention every little thing that pops up. Steam does have "Upcoming releases" and "New releases" sections, after all.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not not being a dick and yelling at you to stop, just saying that I feel as though you're overdoing it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I actually appreciate Iashman's efforts and it informs me on a lot of things I may have otherwise missed, but maybe others feel differently than me.

Miguel81

I brought it up before and it wasn't met with a lot of approval.
"At least it's better than anime"

I think posting news and new releases is fine to an extent, but only if you actually have something to say about it and can tell the thread why it's intersting or worth sharing.

Posting everything you can find and never commenting or replying to anything is just bad posting imo.

I like the fact that he posts updates and news, but it's true that it would be better if lashman left more comments to go along with them.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I can post some about Roboleon's adventure to Southern Norway, and later on Italy, if Lashman's Steam news gets too Steamy for the Steamers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom