• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

The Talos Principle - Update 243520

New features:
  • Prepared for Road To Gehenna DLC.
  • Added experimental support for SteamVR. To enable it, right click on The Talos Principle in your Steam Library, then click on Properties / Set Launch Options, and add the following parameter: +vr 1
  • Added support for the newest ATI GPUs.

Nice :D

madjoki

People should start lending out their PC to idle for other people account. /s

It wouldn't be that hard. But because you need username, password & steam guard for it it's impossible to do so securely.

I actually wrote script using node.js and node-steam that idles all my idling alts automatically.

Similarly it would be easy to make website to register steam codes instead of client.
People think that Valve does that to prevent bruteforcing, but truth is it's still not that hard.
For me hardest part was figuring what error codes mean (which isn't actually necessary) and binary format used for extra information.

Fake Edit: Went bit offtopic, sorry for that.

Holy crap Wolfenstein The Old Blood is a 34gb download.

Thanks megatextures.

It's also a relatively short game. It took me only seven hours to beat the campaign versus 16 hours for TNO's and I was going out of my way looking for secrets and trying to play through all of the classic Wolfstein levels. I didn't touch any of the challenge maps/modes though.

chronomac

Why does SteamGAF not like Geometry Wars 3? Some played the adventure mode but now I'm almost done and the leaderboards are empty in the last third. The soundtrack is A+++, the different modes challenging and diverse, the difficulty isn't too bad (with the right upgrades) and it looks like the Geo Wars everyone loved back in the day. Bosses could be more original but who cares. Really lots of content after latest update and I haven't even touched mutiplayer (someone interested? chat me up).

I'd be interested in playing the multiplayer (Macatouille on Steam). I never checked out that side of the game.

As for Adventure, I really liked it except for the bosses (especially the final one) and some of the level layouts, which make it hard to tell how close enemies are. I felt like some of my deaths were rather cheap.

Backlogger

Can't wait to play W:TOB tonight. I really enjoyed TNO. I still don't have it on Steam because I got a great deal on it for PS4. Good thing for Chrome remote desktop so I could start the install process while at work :)

By the way, if you are on the fence about this GMG deal then just buy it now. It seems as if they have a limited number of keys for these deals so if it runs out it runs out. I missed out on Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut because I waited until later in the day to buy it.

Turfster

Wow, I can't leave you guys alone for even a few hours, can I.
We're all friends here, right?

Black Soma said:
My inner L4D2 fan wants to get Evolve at that price, but...
Evolve is nothing like L4D(2), though.

Oreoleo

is Tropico 4 better than 1?

I played a bit of 1 but it is old and has bad U I .
I won Tropico 4 from someone here recently and put 40 hours into it in like a week. Its god damn fun and addictive. I played the Tropico 1 demo a lot back in the day but it's too hard to go back to the original game now. Tropico 3 and 4 seem to be considered 'the best' and if you check reviews for Tropico 5 you'll see a lot of people complaining about lack of features (because they try to nickel and dime with DLC), and suggest playing 3 or 4 instead.

Is Killer is Dead that average? It is pretty cheap in GMG, but all reviews seems lukewarm at best.

Seems like camera is a deal breaker from what I've read.

Shadownet

Banned
Is Wolfenstein the Old Blood something you definitely want to play AFTER the New Order?

I'm pretty sure it's a prequel for the New Order.
----------------
Joe Dever's Lone Wolf HD deal over at macgamestore. It's a Steam key right..? Don't want to buy a Mac version.

Turfster

I know, I tried the alpha. Yet for some reason I'd still want to give it a try again.
Any chance this will be cheaper soon? Christmas sale maybe?

Eventually, sure.
Depends on how delusional 2K were about the money they would get with this game.
(The answer is probably 'very')

Teeth

I'm pretty sure it's a prequel for the New Order.

I knew that, it's just...lots of game prequels do this hard *WINK WINK* THIS IS WHY THE ENDING/EVENT/SEQUENCE OF THE GAME SET IN THE FUTURE IS NEAT *WINK WINK* that I'd rather avoid spoilers for.

Arthea

time to pull out our dusty and extremely outdated hype palanquin again?

ijnhxgvvtiua7rkuma.jpg

edited: it also means that I'm not buying Sunrider Academy definitely now, because I'm buying WotS4.

I like lashman's posting. I will *not* click through to every game in the new releases tab and he provides a service in that way. Having it only in one post gives only one shot to see it and I don't read everything in here, and as he posts throughout the day it gives a little conversation prompting for each game.

Knurek

Okay, PCGaf, you mean to tell me instead of using outdated injectSMAA I could've been using ReShade for that all along?

Why did nobody tell me that? What else am I missing?
(Did someone implement injectable SMAA T2X? TXAA?)

Is Wolfenstein the Old Blood something you definitely want to play AFTER the New Order?

Technically, W:TOB is a prequel to W:TNO, so you're fine either way.

Is Killer is Dead that average? It is pretty cheap in GMG, but all reviews seems lukewarm at best.

Camera is fine.
It's not a deep action game, but it's a fun action game.
I loved it, it was in my top 5 for 2014 releases on Steam.

Okay, PCGaf, you mean to tell me instead of using outdated injectSMAA I could've been using ReShade for that all along?

Why did nobody tell me that? What else am I missing?
(Did someone implement injectable SMAA T2X? TXAA?)

This sounds interesting -- care to explain for those not in the know?

The Old Blood is a prequel to The New Order and kind of a more traditional Wolfenstein. I don't think the order you play the games in really matters but The Old Blood's ending might have a little less impact.

I'd recommend playing them in the order they came out. The New Order is amazing, probably one of the best fps campaign in years. The Old Blood is okay.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I actually quite liked Killer is Dead, it is DEFINITELY not average. However, it's not the most amazing action game you'll play. It plays a bit like No More Heroes (if you've played that), and the combat is decent, if not a bit simple, there's some creative boss fights.

What the game excels at is its style, it has a LOT of it. If you like a game with style, then definitely play it. But one controversial area is its story, most people won't understand what just happened the first time they complete the game. The PC version added files upon completion to explain some things, but it's a very odd story that is deceptively simple at times, and then other times just seems plain weird or random, but it actually all fits together in its own weird way.

The game has a fucking Thomas the Tank Engine parody except the train's face transforms into a grotesque The Thing-styled monstrosity.It's not very long.

It's not amazing, but I think it's worth experiencing if you like Suda51, or like stylistic quirky games, or an above-average but not amazing action game.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

The preorder bonuses are just sad. Also it's weird that they haven't shown any gameplay for this yet. My guess is that it will be the exact same game as last year, aside from the Spike Lee directed Career mode

Tizoc

I actually quite liked Killer is Dead, it is DEFINITELY not average. However, it's not the most amazing action game you'll play. It plays a bit like No More Heroes (if you've played that), and the combat is decent, if not a bit simple, there's some creative boss fights.

What the game excels at is its style, it has a LOT of it. If you like a game with style, then definitely play it. But one controversial area is its story, most people won't understand what just happened the first time they complete the game. The PC version added files upon completion to explain some things, but it's a very odd story that is deceptively simple at times, and then other times just seems plain weird or random, but it actually all fits together in its own weird way.

The game has a fucking Thomas the Tank Engine parody except the train's face transforms into a grotesque The Thing-styled monstrosity.It's not very long.

It's not amazing, but I think it's worth experiencing if you like Suda51, or like stylistic quirky games, or an above-average but not amazing action game.
That sentence sounds a little confusing if you're trying to rank its quality :p

Really KiD is a simple but fun action game, the combat isn't deep but it gets the job done, and the game overall isn't too long to overstay its welcome.
For the price that GMG is offering, it is def. worth picking up. Just apply the simple fix and boom 60 FPS LOVE AND KILL goodness.

Now we just need Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw on Steam...

Daily Freedom Planet 70% off
Midweek
  • xx% off
  • xx% off

Everybody get FP, it's among my 2014 GotY contenders, and is an excellent platformer.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
header.jpg

Freedom Planet.

You all really need to pick-up Freedom Planet. It is literally the 'Shovel Knight' of the Genesis platformer. It's like the best of Sonic matched with the best of Treasure (Gunstar Heroes in particular) games, and is such an underlooked fantastic gem.

Amazing and varied levels, bosses, music... A lot longer and more content than you're expecting. A classic mode for those who want no story, but the story itself is like a more serious kids cartoon and actually fairly enjoyable.

Here was my Steam review for it:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/248310
Freedom Planet is a 2D action-platformer that borrows a lot from 16-bit SEGA, Treasure, and Capcom games, but manages to feel fresh and unique through clever design, a folded-in story experience, and obviously a lot of thought put into the game's excellent design.

Freedom Planet tells the story of a group of previously rogue animals, Sash Lilac and Carol Tea, who find themselves involved as one of the few with the knowledge that their home planet's being invaded by an alien overlord, Arktivus Brevon, and his army, who are after a stone of great power that rests on their planet, the Kingdom Stone. Getting involved with two other animals, Milla Basset and Torque, the four of them team-up to try and save the world.

ss_3461ae4da9f0518886164d949fa943ceaf499ebb.600x338.jpg

The voice acting of the game takes a bit to get used to at first, but in the end the actors did good on delivering on their roles, and what I pretty much expected to be a pretty lackluster tale tacked onto the game actually provided characters I did end up caring about, developed through the course of the game, and even got pretty emotionally touching, dark, but with the right amount of humor thrown in to keep it entertaining. However, if you don't care at all about the story, when starting a game you can choose to play 'Classic Mode', which lets you play through all the stages with no story whatsoever.

Freedom Planet features three playable characters, Lilac, Carol, and Milla, all of who control and play completely differently. Lilac is the most straight-forward character, with a focus on speed and acrobatic ability. She can dash madly through stages and will be a favorite of those who have an inner speed demon. She does a variety of beat-em up style combos with slices and kicks for enemies, and uses a charge meter for a variety of her swirl and dash attacks. Carol is slower than Lilac by default, but when she collects gas from stages, she gets the ability to ride a motorbike, which she can use to do a number of spin attacks, wheelies, drive up walls, and a lot more. However, even when off her bike, she can be tactful, with a dagger with longer reach and damage than Lilac's attacks, a jump dash, wall jump, and can use certain devices in stages Lilac can't. Milla is the slowest of the crew, and needs to be played the most tactfully. She can't attack enemies directly easily, but is very good on the defense. She can fly using her ears, summon a green cube at any time which she can throw, use to collect and pick-up nearby objects like bombs, or generate a barrier shield with she can use to defend from attacks. And when she breaks her shield, it forms a laser that delivers high damage to enemies.

All three characters go through mostly the same stages, but there are a few stages that are exclusive to each character and some stages that two characters may visit while the other will go to their own unique stage. It's very interesting to see how all three tackle the same stages very differently, however.

ss_dbed57acd5fda090450b569d0bae8f4871ab9f36.600x338.jpg

Most may expect the game on first glance to be a Sonic-clone, the game started development as a Sonic the Hedgehog fan game and has been in development for about three years. However, while playing what I was most reminded of was games by Treasure, such as Gunstar Heroes. The Sonic influence is definitely there, but this game forms itself as a beast all its own through its own unique level design, bigger focus on combat and stage gimmicks, and constantly escalating gameplay.

The level design is absolutely ace and really impressed me. The stages are unique, fun, and challenging, while both building up difficulty slowly but surely while also introducing a number of new situations and mechanics. Most stages feature completely different enemies and stage gimmicks, but manage to really use them in ways you get familiar with them quickly and then go all-out, which feels natural and progressive despite each stage having a high number of unique gimmicks. You'll do everything from climbing from spike traps, riding disco-ball Ferris Wheels, avoiding drills and kicking them into walls to bypass them, jumping between missiles to get from airship to airship, swimming alongside and avoiding missiles from a submerged submarine, and a lot, lot more. Stages are usually actually fairly meaty, being of pretty decent length and with many multiple paths to take through almost all of them.

ss_30d364c962a19eaba934721cf25d7ff5575f7a42.600x338.jpg

Several times through most stages you'll fight a number of bosses, usually 2-5 before the stage is up. And they deserve particular mention, as the boss fights are challenging, fun, creative, and feature both strategic yet satisfying encounters that come in a large variety. In a single early stage, you'll fight a golem made of blocks you've been pushing around, a skeletal chicken, a vehicle with a devastating iron claw, and a giant pray mantis with a T-Rex roar, and that again is only in a single level.

And this all goes to an extremely awesome and rocking soundtrack that delivers something like a mixture of a Treasure and SEGA soundtrack from the 90s. Each stage has two different songs for the two different halves, and there are a number of boss and cinematic songs through the course of it as well.

Honestly speaking, this is a very solid platformer. It has a good amount of optional content, from a training dojo stage in time attack to collectible trading cards you can find in stages and a variety of challenging achievements, to replayability with the three very different characters with unique stages to each of them. It is a lot of fun to play from start to finish, and backs itself with some great style, design, and a pretty good story. The end of the game is actually pretty challenging, even on normal difficulty, and this game may feature in my opinion some of the best bosses to ever grace a platformer.

If you like platformers, and can get over the fact the game features anthropomorphic animals, this game is excellent in its own right. Its not merely a clone of anything, it's a solid indie release and maybe one of the best indie platformers to come out in some time. If you liked SEGA's and Treasures platforming games of the 90s, you need to try this game out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom