• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starship Rubicon just came to Steam and it really deserves more attention. Really regret not getting it earlier
http://store.steampowered.com/app/372030/
The game just shines gameplay-wise. Thrusting between bullets and missiles, boosting to outrun lasers and missles, cutting the engine to drift while firing at pursuing enemies...honestly the combat feels as solid and thrilling as Luftrausers IMO. It doesnt have that game's frenetic nature, but the controls are very responsive and it nails that amorphous concept of "game feel". Starship Rubicon is just fun and satisfying to play

But the game doesnt stop there. On top of the rock-solid gameplay foundation, there's a wealth of depth and content. Myriad ships to unlock and customize, each with their own unique starting stats, weapon, and ability. A campaign, stages to replay once unlocked, a hardcore mode, a ship and level editor. NPCs allies that can follow you into battle and provide perks.

The abilities and customization are the elements that matter the most. They let you mold each ship to your playstyle, with skills that range from teleporting and cloaking to unleashing homing missiles and a super-beam. The customization is reminiscent of RE4's inventory system, as you need to fit different shaped modules within your ship's chassis. Extra shields, damage buffs, an auto-targeting laser drone, and much more.

I can't recommend this game enough.
7Mi1Z0i.gif

Made a thread for it too

Tenrius

Damn, I didn't realize they actually edited the games, I just assumed it was a visual overhaul because that was what they always focused on pre-release. I don't think I really agree with them taking it that far. It reminds me a lot of the Black Mesa dev team's attitude towards Xen, which I also dislike.

I appreciate you bringing it up.

Well, in that particular case it looked more like a bug than an intended change (all radio chatter disappeared for the remainder of the mission after that conversation was supposed to take place), but it also happened in a YouTube walkthrough I watched, so it's either very common or they did cut it for some reason. To be fair, the game is mostly the same storywise (aside from re-recorded FMVs being shorter which results in much shorter pauses between spoken lines), it's the mechanical changes that make it so inferior. It's well documented elsewhere, but what happened is them essentially porting HW1 into HW2 engine. They are fundamentally different: HW1 had proper ballistics with every shot having its own trajectory etc while HW2 had none of that and relied on a simple RNG to determine hits and misses. Bringing this into HW1 messed up formations (both preventing ships from properly keeping them and making them useless) and evasive tactics (this more or less broke the asteroid mission because ships no longer try to evade asteroids and just thoughtlessly fly into them). There also was no fuel in HW2 which means some of the ships like support frigates lost part of their purpose and everything based on that mechanic is missing from the game (like Kadeshi fuel pods that are pointlessly hanging there now).

There are also some bugs that make no sense, like the carrier you can capture in Mission 05 being unable to produce ships and launching some hostile fighters immediately after being captured or Kadeshi motherships being essentially defenceless in this version (they had some pretty powerful ion cannons in the original). You'd think those would be fixed by now, but apparently it's either something very serious or they just can't be bothered with it.

All in all it feels weird. The visual overhaul is welcome (although I don't care very much for some of the ship design changes), but the game itself basically feels like a beta of the original: a bunch of stuff doesn't work at all or works differently from the original which leads to some missions being either considerably easier or, on the contrary, more difficult than intended. It's pretty sad that most new players will probably only play this inferior version getting a wrong impression of the masterpiece that is Homeworld 1.

SSPssp

I'm actually a member of the keys added group, but it seems like 90% of my Greenlight games are on Groupees, so I stopped checking the group after Groupees added notifications. I'd also pretty much written off any Greenlight titles from Indie Royale.

Yeah, you have to jump through lots of hoops for any keys from IR now.

Best Buy is selling 200$ and 75$ gift cards for 15$ on their site
Good luck, you filthy capitalist pigs.

In for some cancellations.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last month, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Whisper Of A Rose -- MB-9949C0CDDF3F0EDF - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Labyrinthine Dreams -- MB-1C2B712088940E76 - Taken by KainXVIII. 1 entrants total.
Last Word -- MB-3B607CEFD3A98051 - Taken by NingenJanai. 8 entrants total.
Aveyond: Lord of Twilight -- MB-5376D533AC994855 - Taken by Eila. 1 entrants total.
Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION -- MB-38B3A634456F3426 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
Remnants of Isolation -- MB-2355FB70FC5441EF - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.

t1436944174z1.png

SSPssp

I ordered 2. $400 in gift cards... That's a lotta Steam bucks.

But yeah, no way in hell they honor it. Crazier things have happened though.

Yeah, someone on SD or CAG who has seen these in the store said that they're not even available in that denomination.

It let me order but I I doubt it will matter.

I remember buying three copies of last light for like 3 pennies or something from best buy when it was relatively new
and selling them for 20 dollars each <3

SSPssp

It let me order but I I doubt it will matter.

I remember buying three copies of last light for like 3 pennies or something from best buy when it was relatively new
and selling them for 20 dollars each <3

I'm just hoping 1 gift card sneaks through.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'll take some free money if anyone is handing it out.

Salsa

been playing through Ori, few hours in, few areas cleared

this isnt hard at all you noobies huhuehueh

also I really wish the story stuff wasnt as generic fantasy crap since it has a lot of original stuff to work with except, you know, that aspect of it with some tree with some light and some spirit and some shit

game is great tho, as expected

SSPssp

So someone on CAG says that they placed two orders, one for the $75 GC and one for the $200 GC and the difference in the order numbers is 169 million! If these are all orders for these cards, that's billions of Bestbuy credit.
They couldn't let these go through even if they wanted to.

SSPssp

The order numbers might be random.

I think they might jump at certain intervals, so its not 169 million orders, but I've placed back to back orders before where the difference was in the hundreds, so I think a ton of orders have been placed.

So someone on CAG says that they placed two orders, one for the $75 GC and one for the $200 GC and the difference in the order numbers is 169 million! If these are all orders for these cards, that's billions of Bestbuy credit.

Sounds like people making up shit, just like that guy who claimed to have racked up $60k on his credit card buying these.

Coldsun

Banned

Except they're in no way all for the cards. Invoice numbers arn't done based on a single product.

SSPssp

Sounds like people making up shit, just like that guy who claimed to have racked up $60k on his credit card buying these.

That's true, but this guy isn't bragging or anything, so maybe he's telling the truth.

Except they're in no way all for the cards. Invoice numbers arn't done based on a single product.

Yeah, but the majority of orders in the last couple of hours could be these.

That's true, but this guy isn't bragging or anything, so maybe he's telling the truth.

Yeah, but the majority of orders in the last couple of hours could be these.

This is CAG we're talking about. Half the posts on the gaming deals forum are people lobbing inside jokes or sarcasm at each other. It's the last place I'd turn to for true or relevant discussion about these deals.

Go to 500 games on Steam!
ModBot said:
Instructions for NightmareTrigger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NightmareTrigger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crimson Clover WORLD IGNITION -- MB-90785ABEE1EA5B5D - Taken by Belgarion. 4 entrants total.

t1436938774z1.png

Hey what time do GMG daily deals typically end specifically? Low on cash until tomorrow due to a bank of america charge >_> and I was wanting to get Wolfenstein TNO

SSPssp

This is CAG we're talking about. Half the posts on the gaming deals forum are people lobbing inside jokes or sarcasm at each other. It's the last place I'd turn to for true or relevant discussion about these deals.

Maybe you're right. But I still don't understand how they haven't fixed this. Best Buy is trending on twitter now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom