• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Haven't seen anything interesting yet.

I would hope for some good deals on Steam keys but I am not holding my breath. Amazon hasn't had a really good digital game sale since Amazon Tony left.

Remember when they went out of their way to secure Steam keys from publishers? Those were the days.

FloatOn

I just learned of something pretty incredible. (sorry if I'm lttp on this)

foxmod is a thing for unreal tournament 3 that lets you do split-screen for that local screen cheating goodness.

I'm going to have to try this out real soon!

Jawmuncher

I prefer brunettes nowadays :3
)
maki-nishikino-pic-lojvk3e.gif
How could you.

------

Steam related news, I really wish steam would add online key redemption. Sitting on my Wolfenstein because I don't want to log in, since my PC isn't hooked up.

Remember when they went out of their way to secure Steam keys from publishers? Those were the days.

It's an absolute shame what happened to Amazon Digital PC section once Tony was moved higher. I act like the section doesn't even exist since it's so bad now. The replacement guy was there like a week and then disappeared into the void. Really liked supporting Amazon when they put the work in.

MUnited83

For you.
It's got everything that is silly and frivolous of spending money on games you don't want, with the added layer of clutter and actually taking up physical space. There's a layer of pretentiousness with it as well.
Ah, a big pile of assumptions then.

derExperte

The equivalent of buying books like game bundles would be scouring the .99 cent isles in every supermarket in town and buying those love story novels aimed at 60 old women in bulk.

Vlad

yea gta4 is really boring. i didn't like the game much. like why was everything brown? i live in nyc and let me just tell you as I'm sure you already know, nyc doesn't have a god damn shit filter on everything. also found the story and car handling to be shit. at least it has good cheat codes unlike gta5, gta5 might have the most interesting story mode(to me) but it has the worst cheats in the series. i don't even boot up the game anymore like i do previous gtas cause its not as fun reeking mayhem around the city since there aren't that many good cheats.

The way I see it, the cheats are just there as extras (didn't even mess around with them), and I really don't get what the complaints are about in regards to the car handling. I marathoned through several sandbox games in a row (Just Cause 2, Red Faction Guerrilla, Saints Row 3, and GTAIV), and I found GTAIV to have the best vehicle handling by far. Everything felt like it had a nice weight to it, like you were actually driving a car. Kind of like how the horse in Shadow of the Colossus actually felt like an actual animal that you were trying to direct, as opposed to just this mindless thing that just went where you pointed the stick.

But yeah, everything else was indeed just bland. I don't know how they went from some of the crazy missions of San Andreas to what they served up with IV. Of course, the problem I had with all the sandbox games is that, for all the openness of the world itself, the missions are far, far too linear. It's just not fun to sit there and follow a series of commands ("Go to the marker on the map", "Kill so-and-so", etc). Are there any sandbox games that actually have good mission design that allow for the player to approach things in a variety of ways?

Starship Rubicon just came to Steam and it really deserves more attention. Really regret not getting it earlier
http://store.steampowered.com/app/372030/

7Mi1Z0i.gif

Made a thread for it too

Ohhhh, that looks interesting, thanks for the heads-up.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I have a lot of books I mean to read but haven't.

Boxes upon boxes of them. Stpid library dollar sales.
I was also an English major

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Steam related news, I really wish steam would add online key redemption. Sitting on my Wolfenstein because I don't want to log in, since my PC isn't hooked up.

Sadly, they have a web API now that allows for key redemption but it's private. My request to be allowed to use it was denied. It could have been wonderful.

Vuze

Is it possible to pull a single file from an apps depot (which you have access to obviously)? Just curious, I only need a bunch of files for file format comparison so I'd rather download 5mb of individual files instead of the full 16GB game.

Jawmuncher

I have a lot of books I mean to read but haven't.

Boxes upon boxes of them. Stpid library dollar sales.
I was also an English major
Makes the spoiler all the more funny.
Sadly, they have a web API now that allows for key redemption but it's private. My request to be allowed to use it was denied. It could have been wonderful.
Really curious why they're sitting on it. Since its not like Valve saves features and rolls out one big update.

yuraya

Valve will be 19 next month, which of course means 20 next year. Will they do anything special for that occasion? lol

I am kinda hoping HTC does an actual event to reveal the consumer version of the Vive.

It would be a good for Valve to make an appearance at the event ;) unveil somethin speshul :p

Nah, it was pretty alright. A bit janky for sure, but good.

Deadpool was fun as hell.
Not the deepest action game, but it gave you enough variety in weapons/guns to allow you to find something you enjoyed and the writing/VA was rather enjoyable, IMO.

That said, if you don't find Deadpool to be the least bit amusing, there's probably nothing for you here.

PS4 still has a massive games problem. I would argue far from the ideal compliment at this point.

Maybe at the end of 2016.

Only if you're looking at it from a pure "I can't buy that on PC" standpoint. And even then, you could consider Origin/uPlay games exclusives (as JShackles treats them)... beyond that, there's stuff like Arkham Knight and DoA5 where the PC ports aren't up to par.

Half-Life
2 Remastered

Can I say Half Life 3 just so I don't have to hear about people cry about it later in this thread?

Scratch that I want this to happen so I can laugh instead.

Obviously wasn't thinking about HL, but special artbook, merch, sale etc

I am kinda hoping HTC does an actual event to reveal the consumer version of the Vive.

It would be a good for Valve to make an appearance at the event ;) unveil somethin speshul :p

HTC will have a special event: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1079081

but I'm not betting on Valve being there :p At least not with a new game. In fact, it's getting a bit late to announce a new game, so probably no new game by them this year.

MUnited83

For you.
The pretentious aspect certainly, I don't see how you can be as dismissive as the rest however.
Silly and frivolous is basically everything people do, in the end.

I don't spend any money on games I don't want, and I don't spend any money on books I don't want. I fully intend to read as much of my book's library and as much of my game's library as possible.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Only if you're looking at it from a pure "I can't buy that on PC" standpoint. And even then, you could consider Origin/uPlay games exclusives (as JShackles treats them)... beyond that, there's stuff like Arkham Knight and DoA5 where the PC ports aren't up to par.

Wouldn't any of those caveats make an Xbone a perfect compliment, as well?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Makes the spoiler all the more funny.

Really curious why they're sitting on it. Since its not like Valve saves features and rolls out one big update.

It looks like the API was added around the same time they rolled out oAuth key redemption for sites like Humble and Indie Gala and it's very possible that this is simply a web API backend for that functionality. They removed the oAuth component but never removed the API. That sounds more like Valve, amiright?

Even Nintendo allows for web key redemption.

Nintendo.

NINTENDO.

Yeah, a lack of web redemption is just silly. Not only do all of the other major players have it (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) but even smaller competitors like GOG, Itch.io, and Desura have it.

BigAT

Silly and frivolous is basically everything people do, in the end.

I don't spend any money on games I don't want, and I don't spend any money on books I don't want. I fully intend to read as much of my book's library and as much of my game's library as possible.

Hey, don't let me stop you. However you need to justify it to yourself.

pahamrick

Yeah, a lack of web redemption is just silly. Not only do all of the other major players have it (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) but even smaller competitors like GOG, Itch.io, and Desura have it.

Do any of the major players have pre-activated codes available on retail shelves? That is pretty much the only reason I can think of Valve not currently allowing it (Per my comment earlier of opening games in retail stores and redeeming the cd keys).

Just wanted to say thanks to Lash for posting all these games and bringing some of these to my attention. Really appreciate you doing this, really cool.

yuraya

HTC will have a special event: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1079081

but I'm not betting on Valve being there :p At least not with a new game. In fact, it's getting a bit late to announce a new game, so probably no new game by them this year.

Its good that they are doing an event. I thought they would just release a trailer or something. But I still don't see why these companies are releasing these VR headsets if there aren't any killer apps for them. Do they really believe people will just go out and spend $400+ on this hardware that will eventually turn into a paperweight? Consumers aren't going to be buying this stuff. Sales are going to be very weak unless companies like Valve step up to the plate and deliver killer apps.

Anyways we still have gamescom and video game awards later so fingers crossed Valve does something this year that isn't Dota related.

Jawmuncher

Do any of the major players have pre-activated codes available on retail shelves? That is pretty much the only reason I can think of Valve not currently allowing it (Per my comment earlier of opening games in retail stores and redeeming the cd keys).

A equivalent I can think of are digital movies. Bunch of those have codes and online web redemption. Don't really see that being a issue. Then again that's just US unsure if it would be an issue in other areas.

http://i.imgur.com/K9lcikl.gif[IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Xhs5117.gif[IMG]
Driving

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bHIkERD.gif[IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YhR5A2T.gif[IMG]
Wingsuit

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Gkffehj.gif[IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JIyx2aq.gif[IMG]
Carnage[/QUOTE]

Damn.

That looks good.

jshackles

Almost all of them do - Microsoft and Sony have games that come with one-time use codes for XBL or PSN redemption that give in-game stuff, season passes, or online unlocks. Nintendo (used to) have one-time use codes for Club Nintendo although that was a little different. A smaller subset of these games are worthless without these codes. Other games like Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris are nothing but game cases with online codes in them.

There's also nothing stopping me from bringing my Windows tablet into the store and redeeming those codes directly on Steam.

pahamrick

A equivalent I can think of are digital movies. Bunch of those have codes and online web redemption. Don't really see that being a issue. Then again that's just US unsure if it would be an issue in other areas.

Good point, didn't think of that. Unless the movie industry just doesn't care as getting a digital movie is already fairly easy online, but having a fully activated retail game could be considered a bit difference.

Almost all of them do - Microsoft and Sony have games that come with one-time use codes for XBL or PSN redemption that give in-game stuff, season passes, or online unlocks. Nintendo (used to) have one-time use codes for Club Nintendo although that was a little different. A smaller subset of these games are worthless without these codes.

There's also nothing stopping me from bringing my Windows tablet into the store and redeeming those codes directly on Steam.

Huh, never even considered the bit about the Windows tablet. Well, then Valve just hates it's users: News at 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom