• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its good that they are doing an event. I thought they would just release a trailer or something. But I still don't see why these companies are releasing these VR headsets if there aren't any killer apps for them. Do they really believe people will just go out and spend $400+ on this hardware that will eventually turn into a paperweight? Consumers aren't going to be buying this stuff. Sales are going to be very weak unless companies like Valve step up to the plate and deliver killer apps.

Anyways we still have gamescom and video game awards later so fingers crossed Valve does something this year that isn't Dota related.

We still don't really know what are the killer apps for VR though. It might not be AAA games at all. People have been gushing about Tilt Brush (3D paiting app) and Job Simulator, neither which normally would turn heads. Oculus will have EVE: Valkyrie when it comes to more bombastic stuff, so there's that.

As for Valve, they're still not listed as attendees at Gamescom and it's less than a month away, also it clashes with the International....

Also a lot might depend on Dota Reborn. If it's Valve's way of measuring how Source 2 performs in real life, then looking at its current state it's not even close to being prime time I'm affraid. It needs to exit beta first, and who knows when that happens. I'm not getting my hopes up. If they do something great, if not, oh well.

Found a couple new articles on Ashen, coming in 2016.

OzsK5As.gif

http://www.pcgamesn.com/making-it-i...rangers-to-survive-the-sun-free-land-of-ashen

http://www.onlysp.com/meet-developer-behind-post-apocalyptic-arpg-ashen-aurora44/

Souls-inspired combat with Journey online integration. This is really shaping up into something interesting.
This really looks neat. Artstyle and such. Would like to see some gameplay how combat works.

It's Xbox exclusive? Says Microsoft exclusive. Hope that's not the same.

A equivalent I can think of are digital movies. Bunch of those have codes and online web redemption. Don't really see that being a issue. Then again that's just US unsure if it would be an issue in other areas.

This is true -- thieves are going to find a way to steal whatever they can however they can. If they really wanted it, they'd just take a photo of the key, then go home and redeem it in the steam client.

Backlogger

Could be based on agreements with publishers to not allow a web API for online activation. Requiring a client gives more control and security to the activation process. Maybe its not necessary security, but could be some publishers would be worried about having the activation process be too open.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Huh, never even considered the bit about the Windows tablet. Well, then Valve just hates it's users: News at 11.

;)

Which brings me to another point that's been bothering me for quite a while now and this is a good example of. In this case (adding online key redemption to Steam) they would have to do almost nothing to get it working, assuming their API still works. They can grant my API key access, and I'll code the front-end stuff to make it all work.

Suddenly, with very little work on their part, a subset of their users now has access to additional functionality. If such a feature looks like it's popular enough to warrant their attention, they can include that functionality themselves then everyone's happy.

I've always wondered why, rather than being in opposition to Enhanced Steam, Valve doesn't embrace the idea behind it. If it were me, I'd consider it more like "beta testing web features". Some employees have spoken highly of it over the years, but everyone I've talked to that works on Steam development at Valve seems to think I murdered their children or something.

pahamrick

I've always wondered why, rather than being in opposition to Enhanced Steam, Valve doesn't embrace the idea behind it. If it were me, I'd consider it more like "beta testing web features". Some employees have spoken highly of it over the years, but everyone I've talked to that works on Steam development at Valve seems to think I murdered their children or something.

Just going by what you stated here, it would come across as jealousy to me. You've implemented features that have both been proven to be very useful AND popular among end users.

The fact they aped some of your features for their last big Steam update kinda validates that to me.

Knurek

Just imagine a quarterly evaluation when an employee developing Steam mentions the OT he did, the features he implemented, bugfixes he made and asks for a raise.
Now imagine his 'not-boss' stating that if this jshackles guy can do a better job for free he should just be glad he still has work.
You're not murdering their children. You're murdering their careers. Simple as that.

Pachimari

I still can't take charge of my own city in Cities: Skylines. :(

I'm still in the introduction and I'm horrible. I never have enough money for both water and electricity systems, while also building roads, residential houses and shopping districts.

Some tips will be appreciated at this point. :)

You've confused me here.

I went back and checked the posts and I was referring to the correct games in both posts.
Yeah. When I saw your tweet about the game coming to Steam, I thought we were still talking about Ashen but only after posting my joy did I reread and realized you wrote about the game below. My bad.

Grief.exe

I still can't take charge of my own city in Cities: Skylines. :(

I'm still in the introduction and I'm horrible. I never have enough money for both water and electricity systems, while also building roads, residential houses and shopping districts.

Some tips will be appreciated at this point. :)

You have to start frugally.

Cheap two or one lane roads, keep everything close together (minimize road, power line, and water line length).

You can easily spend your entire budget quickly at the beginning of Skylines. I found it irrelevant to try to design the perfect city at the start, eventually you are going to restructure large areas of your city anyways.

One tip: micromanage your water and electricity budget at the start as you won't need 100% of your budget with a small population.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just going by what you stated here, it would come across as jealousy to me. You've implemented features that have both been proven to be very useful AND popular among end users.

The fact they aped some of your features for their last big Steam update kinda validates that to me.

Just imagine a quarterly evaluation when an employee developing Steam mentions the OT he did, the features he implemented, bugfixes he made and asks for a raise.
Now imagine his 'not-boss' stating that if this jshackles guy can do a better job for free he should just be glad he still has work.
You're not murdering their children. You're murdering their careers. Simple as that.

I suppose these both make sense and could paint me as "the bad guy" to them. I don't really understand people and their motivations sometimes, because as far as I see it we're all working towards the same goal. My philosophy is that cooperation yields better results than competition, but obviously not everyone shares that view.

Anyway, on the subject of collaboration and Enhanced Steam, another programmer sent me the base code for this new feature and I've been working with them to get it integrated into the next release of Enhanced Steam:

This should make browsing a voting on Greenlight stuff easier, as you'll be able to tell which games you've already voted on, and how you've voted. We'll also be adding icons to quickly identify favorited and followed games. Should be pretty sweet.

Chariot

My god. After reading about it in the 40k thread, I was looking at the store page of Van Helsing and realized that I already own the game and apparently even idled it. I can't even imagine how JaseC feels on a daily basis.

Eanan

Tomorrow's Nuuvem sale deals:

Alien Isolation (Region Locked) £4.25
Football Manager 2015 (Region Locked) £4.25
Far Cry 3 £2.25
Borderlands 2 (Region Locked) £1.91

Shame about the locking on Alien

I bought an MCC xbone and part of my justifying the purchase was that I would now have another PC controller. I also had a $50 Amazon just sitting around.

Sorry steambros I'm weak.

derExperte

Far Cry 3 £2.25

Source? And you'll be able to play them after using VPN to activate which still no one got banned for afaik.

Copons

Man, would like to get that but it's not at that price here.

It may be at that price there without you knowing it, though.

I've checked for months the price of a 360 Wired PC (the one with the red packaging) waiting for a deal to go lower than 30-something €, and then one day I realized that the normal 360 Wired (green packaging, not marketed for PC but it's 100% compatible) has been at 20€ all the time.

I'm talking about Amazon Italy, but maybe it's the same for you.

Backlogger

Groupees Build a Greenlight 28 Bundle
Price: 1$/2 game minimum, 0.5$/game

Fractal Space looks like my kinda game, not sure about the others though...

I bought an MCC xbone and part of my justifying the purchase was that I would now have another PC controller. I also had a $50 Amazon just sitting around.

Its okay. I will be getting one this year hopefully. I gotta have those console exclusives...

I guess if MCC does it for you... ;)

I was hoping the Prime Day deals might have some sort of nVidia deals so I could spend all my amazon credit... but alas, I'm still without an upgraded video card. :3

Its okay. I will be getting one this year hopefully. I gotta have those console exclusives...

Which exclusives are you considering an Xbox One for?

Uzzy

Far Cry 3 £2.25

Brazil not exporting cheap quality football? That's a first.

Tizoc

Which of the PC SEGA Rally games are worth getting? There's SR2, Championship and Revo.
I can deal with 30 FPS, but so long as these games run fine on W8.1 I'm willing to get them off ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom