• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Vjme57p.jpg

derExperte

At least we're getting somewhat stable 30fps on consoles right now, oldgen was a pain in the ass during its last few years and people were still okay with that for incomprehensible reasons. Stockholm syndrome I guess and it sometimes feels the same now with 30fps but as I said it's already an improvement. And sure, I won't skip a game only because of that but a) the rest has to be really good and I probably won't give you 60€ for it. Or 40€. Or 30€.

Arthea

I have to be honest. I can't see the difference between 30fps and 60fps. =(

I also haven't noticed CA, besides playing Bloodborne and Life Is Strange.

I'm not surprised, I'm a firm believer that many people don't, even among those that say they can. Why I believe this? firstly you need very fast motion with objects significantly changing their position in a second to even be able to see, secondly jerky camera actually interferes with "seeing" and most examples I've seen uses that and any fps looks choppy by doing so, also any not fluid movement interferes, not only camera. Also there are a lot of people outside gaf who doesn't care, most people I know in rl for example, so I don't know can they see it or not.
I do believe that some people rather "feel wrongness" than actually see it, they subconsciously feel that this game (let's say 30fps) is somewhat different than that was (60fps). I again deduce it from examples thrown around internet.

fantomena

At least we're getting somewhat stable 30fps on consoles right now, oldgen was a pain in the ass during its last few years and people were still okay with that for incomprehensible reasons. Stockholm syndrome I guess and it sometimes feels the same now with 30fps but as I said it's already an improvement. And sure, I won't skip a game only because of that but a) the rest has to be really good and I probably won't give you 60€ for it. Or 40€. Or 30€.

For me, under 30 FPS is unacceptable, 30 FPS is not great, but playable, 60 FPS is great.

AHA-Lambda

I have to be honest. I can't see the difference between 30fps and 60fps. =(

I also haven't noticed CA, besides playing Bloodborne and Life Is Strange.

I can deffo tell the difference between 30fps and 60, it just doesn't bother me alot. Give me a constant framerate at least at 30 and I'll be fine.

I agree on CA though I don't notice it =/

Arthea

You Must Build Glasses

glasses are overrated

did you build the boat, btw? is it easier than escaping from the prison?

Yeah, that's my one issue with the Steam library, I can't really set and disable my own filters.

my main issue with steam is still personal inventory, it's like... IDK back to 70ies or something. The badge pages are far far from perfect either.
edited: it annoys me to no end that I can't even search badges. The hell?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I played through the game 3 times :)

Noob run
Low chaos
High chaos

I love that the game is not only open in gameplay, but also in quest design. I did low choas so I avoided tackling anything head on, but in a replay I'd love to take on the brothers in the brother myself instead of letting Slackjaw do it.

The team here did so many things right, didn't expect to love this game as much as I do now. I think Hotline Miami will stay my 2012 goty, but this is now a close second.

That doesn't compute, Mad Max is developed by Avalanche Studios, while AK by Rocksteady. Or am I missing something here?

what that has to do with anything?

Everything. The publisher is suppose to be the guard dog of the products & that includes it's quality.

..So the part where Arkham Knight and Witcher 3 have the same NA publisher clearly means this counts for a lot out of WB.

TW3 was published by CDPR on the PC and that version was ok at launch. Not perfect, but also not incredibly broken.

For me, it's an issue where WB has clearly set a very VERY low bar regarding what they consider an acceptable PC release and now I'm sitting out all of their titles until well after launch. I got MKX for relatively cheap at launch and AK for free thanks to a very nice gaffer and both of those releases were terrible and remain in some state of disarray to this day.

I guess there's an upside to being broke lol, glad I gave AK a pass, would've been a day 1 if I had been able to afford it.
If it wont be fixed until Fall, winter sale is looking like a good time to pick it up.

Arthea

Only about 10 minutes.

Aaaand dooone. Third game completed this week plus one Tales of Borderlands episode.

you should remedy that

TW3 was published by CDPR on the PC and that version was ok at launch. Not perfect, but also not incredibly broken.

For me, it's an issue where WB has clearly set a very VERY low bar regarding what they consider an acceptable PC release and now I'm sitting out all of their titles until well after launch. I got MKX for relatively cheap at launch and AK for free thanks to a very nice gaffer and both of those releases were terrible and remain in some state of disarray to this day.

I don't see what makes you think that publisher even see a game, let alone care how it runs on anything, even more such publisher as Warner bros. All they do give money and demand result, at least that's what most publishers that aren't devs too do.

Deitus

That doesn't compute, Mad Max is developed by Avalanche Studios, while AK by Rocksteady. Or am I missing something here?

what that has to do with anything?

At the end of the day, someone has to put up the budget for porting the game to PC, set the date for the game to release, and give the final go ahead that the game is ready to ship. All of that falls at the feet of WB, and they clearly screwed up.

We don't really know the situation with Rocksteady and Iron Galaxy, and how much each actually did for the PC port. But we sure as hell know that WB decided to release a game that they should have known was broken. In cases like this, you have people working on the game and testing it who are well aware of the issues the game has, but ultimately someone in upper management makes the judgement call to release the game anyway.

We obviously know that the development of Mad Max will have the same issues as other recent WB games, but we know that WB has up until now been willing to release broken PC games, so it's natural to be skeptical of future releases from them, until they give reason to think otherwise. Hopefully the backlash from MKX and AK will be enough to change their ways. Certainly having to issue a recall on AK will make some shareholders start asking questions, which will surely lead to some degree of policy changes. But the burden of proof is still on them to demonstrate that they are not going to sell broken products before people should trust them again.

..So the part where Arkham Knight and Witcher 3 have the same NA publisher clearly means this counts for a lot out of WB.

WB is the distributor in NA, not the publisher; completely different. CD Projekt Red is fully responsible for the development, porting, and setting the release date, and WB just prints the discs and does the advertising.

Deitus

I don't see what makes you think that publisher even see a game, let alone care how it runs on anything, even more such publisher as Warner bros. All they do give money and demand result, at least that's what most publishers that aren't devs too do.

Well if the publisher doesn't actually pay attention to the game they are selling, then that is exactly the problem. Publishers set budgets for development, as well as release schedules. These things are directly related to the quality of the end product. If they are just arbitrarily setting budgets and schedules without actually observing the development of the game, or checking the quality of the final product, then that is not only gross mismanagement, but it is not doing right by their customers. They deserve to be criticized and lose business over that.

Arthea

At the end of the day, someone has to put up the budget for porting the game to PC, set the date for the game to release, and give the final go ahead that the game is ready to ship. All of that falls at the feet of WB, and they clearly screwed up.

We don't really know the situation with Rocksteady and Iron Galaxy, and how much each actually did for the PC port. But we sure as hell know that WB decided to release a game that they should have known was broken. In cases like this, you have people working on the game and testing it who are well aware of the issues the game has, but ultimately someone in upper management makes the judgement call to release the game anyway.

We obviously know that the development of Mad Max will have the same issues as other recent WB games, but we know that WB has up until now been willing to release broken PC games, so it's natural to be skeptical of future releases from them, until they give reason to think otherwise. Hopefully the backlash from MKX and AK will be enough to change their ways. Certainly having to issue a recall on AK will make some shareholders start asking questions, which will surely lead to some degree of policy changes. But the burden of proof is still on them to demonstrate that they are not going to sell broken products before people should trust them again.

You might be onto something here, but I'm not sure that's how budget planning works, you don't usually take numbers out of blue sky, time limits, that's another matter, these can be among reasons.
As for them knowing that they release broken games, I'm almost sure they don't, nor they even consider such possibility, but that's pure speculation.

I never knew testers have any communication with publishers whatsoever. The more you know

Deitus

You might be onto something here, but I'm not sure that's how budget planning works, you don't usually take numbers out of blue sky, time limits, that's another matter, these can be among reasons.
As for them knowing that they release broken games, I'm almost sure they don't, nor they even consider such possibility, but that's pure speculation.

WB surely invested tens of millions of dollars into the development of these games. They have a (quite literal) vested interest in the quality of the end product. If they don't take the time to pay even the slightest bit of attention to the product they are spending millions to produce, then they are completely incompetent, full stop. You generally don't get far in business by not paying attention to how your money is being spent, except by dumb, blind luck, which inevitably runs out.

Granted, there is an argument to be made that with licensed games, there isn't always a direct correlation between sales and quality. Though the Arkham games have generally been the exception to the rule, in that they were licensed games that didn't feel low quality. But for this game, it's possible WB felt that they didn't need to give much of a shit in order to rake in the cash, in which case I'm glad it's biting them.

Jawmuncher

I need more Tron please.
Hmm Disney have said they want to do more TRON, but nothing new has been revealed about their TRON ventures in a while now.
Will be interesting since they aren't doing Tron 3. Though a game plus Disney infinity figures, along with the ride at Shanghai does show they don't completely disregard the franchise I suppose. Though all of that could also be because they're so far along no reason to turn around on them.

Man I really hope they start on tron 3 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom