• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tales games are aggressively priced on PSN. You can frequently pick them up months after release for $10-15. I know I paid $10 for the Symphonia 1 & 2 HD and $10 for Xilia 1. So as much as many are tempted to get Zesteria for full price it seems like a bad decision if you've been following how quickly those games drop off in price.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I decided to do the dumb and give-away 400 more copies of Close Your Eyes & its Goodie Bag DLC to NeoGAF, but now just general NeoGAF. Last big giveaway I'm doing anywhere since then it means the number of copies I've given away is 666~ Even if you have a copy, I don't mind if you knab another one for someone you know if you really wanted to or something.

I'm not sure if all 400 copies will go, but I've decided to make that the last big thing I do. XD; I don't think the game has mass appeal, so this I guess could be part of my experiment with the game.

Lain

I backed Shenmue 3. I never played any of the games nor I care about Yu Suzuki one way or another, but some people I like seem to really want this game to come out as good as possible and 30$ is a cheap price to chip in for a dream that's what, 10 years old?

cyborg009

Banned
I think the Shenmue 3 KS is one of the worst I have seen for a bigger IP.

It seems every news is about Yu Suzuki.
"Yu Suzuki knows about that."
"We told Yu Suzuki that. He might think about it."
"Soon there is a AMA with Yu Suzuki."
"Oh. You want a PS4 physical edition? Nah. Here is some overpriced leather jacket!"

I dont know. Isnt it a team? I mean Yu Suzuki is in charge of the story, isnt he? I would rather hear more from the developers themselves. What they have in mind. Their ideas. Instead it seems it focuses solely on one person.

TBH he should have been upfront about the cost when the kickstarter went up. It should have been 5 million dollar goal and stretch goals to 10 million for the open world stuff.

Arthea

The Tales games are aggressively priced on PSN. You can frequently pick them up months after release for $10-15. I know I paid $10 for the Symphonia 1 & 2 HD and $10 for Xilia 1. So as much as many are tempted to get Zesteria for full price it seems like a bad decision if you've been following how quickly those games drop off in price.

I'm pretty sure ToS HD never was $10, unless I miss all PSN discounts altogether. I'm not sure about ToX too, in fact I've never seen any Tales PS3 game at the price you paid for those. Months after release? Are you sure? ToS is now $30 and ToX is $30 too and that's not months but years after release. You mean they actually did more than 50% discount? I'd like to see that.
Is there any site with PSN price history to check?

Terra_Ex

Nice to see Symphonia is coming to Steam. Hopefully the port will be decent and the superior Abyss will make the trip in the future.

So should i just castigate you for making a series of uneducated assumptions instead? Help me out here, i'm feeling a bit lost and i'm not sure what I should castigate you on anymore

Oh you can castigate me for being one of those terrible people asking inconvenient questions and thus possibly harming the prospects of the game revival that is only happening because of your financial contribution.

Not really. Considering the uncertainty over whether there was enough of a fanbase to fund the game in the first place and the fact that the highest KS projects have capped out around $5 million, $2 mil is a respectable funding goal.

Although I don't necessarily think that laying out stretch goals up to $10 mil was a good thing for the campaign, their hand was basically forced when everyone took Yu Susuki's comment about $10 mil being what he needed to create a "true" experience and running with it, to the detriment of the campaign. It's no one else's fault but the diehard fans that they perceive the campaign to be a failure, even though it's one of the highest-earning KS projects ever and was planned out long in advance.

You're ignoring that making a game today is far different than it was back in the 90s, doubly so because a large chunk of Shen I/II's budget were spent towards creating an entirely new engine and the scope of the project. UE4 costs peanuts, and I'm confident that they'll be able to stretch their dollars far further than they did back then.

It's plain to see that they asked for what they could get and not what they needed. It would be daft to ask for 10 million and not reach the goal which would net them nothing at all. Better to ask for less and then rely on stretch goals or more generosity of backers to earn more money.

As for development being different now compared to how it was in the 90s... I don't think there's any argument there. I do think that costs have generally risen over this period though. The engine itself might be free but creating HD artwork and assets is a lot more expensive now than it used to be back then right? There are a lot of factors that will influence how much more effectively the money can be spent now as opposed to back then. Either way I don't think there's any reason to assume it won't be efficiently done.

Shantom

I'm pretty sure ToS HD never was $10, unless I miss all PSN discounts altogether. I'm not sure about ToX too, in fact I've never seen any Tales PS3 game at the price you paid for those. Months after release? Are you sure? ToS is now $30 and ToX is $30 too and that's not months but years after release. You mean they actually did more than 50% discount? I'd like to see that.
Is there any site with PSN price history to check?

In the UK I'm fairly sure Symphonia has been £4 on PSN, and there's been great prices on Xillia 1 and Graces.

Edit: Namco also did a physical bundle of Symphonia 1&2 and Graces for super cheap over here.

I'm going to get Zestiria day 1 now anyway, since Symphonia's my favourite Tales. Hopefully GMG will have pre-orders too.

Arthea

In the UK I'm fairly sure Symphonia has been £4 on PSN, and there's been great prices on Xillia 1 and Graces.

Edit: Namco also did a physical bundle of Symphonia 1&2 and Graces for super cheap over here.

We aren't talking physical, but PSN, I found one site and if it can be trusted, ToX was $10 just recently, once, so that's really not months after release, and was $15 once, this year too, so again not months after release.

ToS also was $10 for plus, also once, recently.

not sure how good or trusted that site is, but here is a link

https://psprices.com/region-us/

also that's not off topic mind you! I'm talking about advice not to pick Tales on steam but wait and get huge discount soon after release.

It's not about getting a bargain, it's about sending a message. I want more Tales on PC!

I was expecting them to make a new Gothic now that they got back the license for it, but I guess not.

And the author thinks Risen 3 is launching this August when it launched last August... What a numpty.

I think they might be done making Gothic style games after the Risen series has mostly flopped.

edit - I might be wrong on the flopped bit. Steamspy numbers

Risen 1 - 635,395 ± 18,771
Risen 2 - 1,006,867 ± 23,611
Risen 3 - 117,606 ± 8,084

How did the second one sell more than the first and third combined?

AHA-Lambda

Urgh, playing the Magicka DLC I got during the summer sale and remembering why this game is such BS playing solo. Well that's a waste of £1.50 >_>

Parsnip

I think they might be done making Gothic style games after the Risen series has mostly flopped.

edit - I might be wrong on the flopped bit. Steamspy numbers

Risen 1 - 635,395 ± 18,771
Risen 2 - 1,006,867 ± 23,611
Risen 3 - 117,606 ± 8,084

How did the second one sell more than the first and third combined?

Easy, 2 was the base tier on humble deep silver bundle, while 1 was BTA.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Henry Swanson, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Energy Balance -- MB-F850EE332B42449A - Taken by redlacs

ExoSoul

Banned
I like gingers.

Competing with Ningen?

In other News:
Australian Government seems hell-bent on making it so impractical to release a game on our beloved island that many developers, specially the indie scene, may prefer to not release it in our country altogether.*
More on that at the 8 o'clock news.

I'm not actually Australian but what I said there is true, in the last 4 months 200 games have been banned and the government now seeks to make developers fill out an online form regarding explicit content and various, minute, sub-categories basically making it a chore to even pass certification or get a rating forcing developers to do the rating agency's work for them. To bigger developers, specially when backed with big publishers this may just be a sizeable amount of bureaucracy that will get handled regardless but to indie developers this might be a real hurdle that keeps them from publishing the game in Australia and ultimately it's the people of Australia that suffer because they're being censored and denied the amount of content available*

Yes I'm blowing it a bit out of proportion but they're still being over zealous, also do you think I could get a job at Fox News?

GaussTek

I'm a bit confused, Tales of Symphonia on Steam is based on ToS Chronicles, but I guess it doesn't include Dawn of the New World, right?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Nf9Xn3m.jpg

Hm, I hope gmg or nuuvem have a good price for Zestiria, those are some nice bonuses, I've never played Symphonia (or Zestiria for that matter) and the Alysha dlc seems to be pretty much mandatory to get the full experience. Also some skins in there. Artes as dlc/pre-order incentives is fucking ridiculous.
One day we'll see pay to unlock level caps in single player rpgs. Or FF games with the tier 3 spells (Firaga, Blizzaga, etc) behind pay walls.

Kifimbo

Kinda disappointed it's a sequel and not a new thing. Still, I hope this one won't fall in the "sequel that doesn't sell close enough to the first game" category.

Jawmuncher

Kind of glad there is nothing for July. I have a lot to catch up on in the what feels like a month of missing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom