• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Seems Totalbiscuit was never involved in GG. Unless someone can prove otherwise with evidence.

It's kind of interesting following this individual and just seeing how much bullshit is spread about him. I end up defending him a lot of times in GAF threads, not because I am a huge fan, but because the opinions people have are so ridiculous and unsubstantiated.
Well, I can toss another common GAF opinion in the trash.

https://m.soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/enough

I guess you need to do a little bit more research then.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Seems like a stretch, especially that 8chan reference. I wouldn't really call that a defending anything, simply pointing out the irony

That toast post is considered to be transphobic? Sarcasm more likely, but I don't know the reference.

Educate me. Seriously, I asked for it earlier.

I found the evidence that Dongs Macabre posted to be fairly thin. If there is anything more concrete, then I would love to broaden my knowledge on the subject. Especially if I'm going to bring forth some of this as evidence.

The link he tweeted in my first link is literally the GamerGate wiki, though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Total Biscuit is smarter than to hitch his wagon onto a pack of obvious losers (both in the sense of the ideology being a dead-end and the group being compromised almost exclusively of evolutionary dead-ends).

However, he has shyed away from any outright condemnation because he knows there is a significant overlap between his audience and the Gators.

That toast post is considered to be transphobic? Sarcasm more likely, but I don't know the reference.

It's riffing on the perceived notion that you can self-identify as anything you want now. It's generally used by social conservatives mocking people who transition.

You can play it off as a joke for shock value, but it isn't particularly shocking, isn't particularly insightful, and isn't particularly funny on it own merits...

So, exactly like Total Biscuit.

Buraindo

image.php

is that a hat or a bucket?

Looks good to me.

I played an hour or so of Valdis Story: Abyssal City and I think I'll stick with it. Looks great, soundtrack's pretty nice and the gameplay is exactly what I was looking for , only negative is a nasty audio bug that ruined my first bossfight.
Luckily there's a nice and easy workaround for it, so I'll try that tomorrow and probably play a whole lot more of it.
Great first impression.

The problem with Gators and anti-gators is that both sides are far too fanatical and only know black and white.

In one of the Anita-threads I said that her videos are far too simple and often dont really offer a solution or go in-depth into the topics/tropes. I was called a Gator because of criticism even though I still dont have a clue what this Gamergate is even about.

I played an hour or so of Valdis Story: Abyssal City and I think I'll stick with it. Looks great, soundtrack's pretty nice and the gameplay is exactly what I was looking for , only negative is a nasty audio bug that ruined my first bossfight.

I enjoyed Valdis Story. Till I noticed quite a lot of events were time based.
You can only fight the Yeti in the first 2 hour or so.
If you take too long, one city is being destroyed IIRC.

Lomax

There really wasn't any 'new release bug drama'. I'd argue that after this patch the game is in a worse state than at launch.

Then again, I played for 70 hours without any real bugs showing up....

By "new release bug drama" I mean dealing with the entire early patching process. I know it has been a stable and very playable game, but this recent patch and the associated issues are exactly the thing I try to avoid. It's been 15+ years and I'm still bitter about Fallout 2 patches killing my saves.

wilflare

thanks for the well wishes everyone :3
and that Woshige EVO 2015 moment ._.

---
is there a 1080p GSync monitor? I don't think I'll join the 4K camp anytime soon lol
my 970 can't do it :/
- and if Sony truly gives up on the Vita, I hope someone makes it into a Steamboy/Steamlink machine of sort :3

Sch1sm

thanks for the well wishes everyone :3
and that Woshige EVO 2015 moment ._.

---
is there a 1080p GSync monitor? I don't think I'll join the 4K camp anytime soon lol
my 970 can't do it :/
- and if Sony truly gives up on the Vita, I hope someone makes it into a Steamboy/Steamlink machine of sort :3

Plenty, but what's your price range?

Holy cow, Wolfenstein: TOB runs like a complete dog on my 980. Looks like I'll basically have to live with either very low or disabled anti-aliasing as having anything higher than 4x obliterates the framerate.

Terrible. I was looking forward to it too, and my first impression is once again that idTech is an absolute piece of crap engine.

zkylon

zkylewd
i love ciri so much

What do I do with it?
it's your hub for all things zkylon

games, anime, zooey deschanel, overexpending on virtual clothing, arachnophobia, lewdness, the obsession with fluffy things and terrible musical taste make up the ultimate zkylon experience

you cannot miss it

preorder now

The problem with Gators and anti-gators is that both sides are far too fanatical and only know black and white.

In one of the Anita-threads I said that her videos are far too simple and often dont really offer a solution or go in-depth into the topics/tropes. I was called a Gator because of criticism even though I still dont have a clue what this Gamergate is even about.
it's a conversation that's based on harassment, lies and other nasty shit so it's kind of doomed to never be too productive.

it's just never worth it to debate anything with gamergate as a context, better to just directly talk about women's representation in games, women's position in the game's industry and game journalism's boundries in themselves instead of trying to talk to them as a whole i feel

and obviously anita sarkiseean's merits lots of criticism in how she's approached her subjects, ran her kickstarter, etc. just not in the context of gamergate cos gamergate as a "movement" is just not something productive

tmarg

Seems Totalbiscuit was never involved in GG. Unless someone can prove otherwise with evidence.

He became an important figure in the "it's about ethics in games journalism" smokescreen. Which is actually kind of ironic, since, as a major figure in games criticism, his ethics are rather sub-par.

I don't think he ever did explicitly come out in support of GG though, no.

and obviously anita sarkiseean's merits lots of criticism in how she's approached her subjects, ran her kickstarter, etc. just not in the context of gamergate cos gamergate as a "movement" is just not something productive

But that is what I mean with black and white. As soon as you criticize her work, someone people call you a Gator or a GG advocate.
And that is a problem about this whole discussion itself. If you have honest criticism, it seems people disregard that, because you arent "allowed" to criticize such stuff, because you must be a GG advocate...

Uzzy

It's not trash yet, there's a Ken player in Winners Finals.
No Wong in top 8, no Daigo in top 8, Tokido already sent home...
Yes, AiAi losing was unfortunate, his Juri was sick. However, I'm still pulling for Momochi here (he's even using my favorite SF4 Ken alt).

That Infiltration vs Momochi match brought the hype back, thankfully.

Grief.exe

The link he tweeted in my first link is literally the GamerGate wiki, though.

i remember a pretty long youtube post defending gamergate (i think this one was it) that made me not care for him anymore

tho maybe he's less of a supporter and more of an apologist or whatever

He became an important figure in the "it's about ethics in games journalism" smokescreen. Which is actually kind of ironic, since, as a major figure in games criticism, his ethics are rather sub-par.

I don't think he ever did explicitly come out in support of GG though, no.

That was a very interesting article that Zkylon linked to with Totalbiscuit's opinions. I'm of a mind that he does not align with the Gamergate group, but merely finds some similarities between his own opinions and some of the issues the group brought to light.

If you associate Gamergate with harassment brigade, then no he is not apart of that group. If you wish to discus issues with gaming journalism, then he would agree there are problems.

The idea that in order to discuss journalistic ethics you must disassociate yourself from harassment is a frustrating one.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. By pushing this harassment narrative, you are giving these awful people victory and marginalizing the moderate majority who do want a serious conversation to happen about journalistic ethics. I would strongly urge you to come to the table and discuss ethical issues, freeze out those who would harass others, just as popular Gamergate forums like Kotakuinaction on Reddit have been doing for months. This industry has problems that need addressing but this is not the way to go about it. The longer the harassment narrative goes on, the worse this gets, the more frustrated alienated gamers of all races, genders, sexual orientations and creeds involved in this to improve their hobby and passion become.

Do we honestly believe this is an organized effort to drive women out of the industry? If that were true, why on earth would the targets be a controversial Youtube critic and two practically unknown indie developers? Wouldn't people be trying to drive out women of note in the industry who work at major studios and have real influence over the direction of games? If this is a harassment campaign aimed at driving women out of gaming, it is the single most unsuccessful one in the history of mankind.

Yes, we want to talk about ethics. There are plenty of examples that need resolving. This all started with Nathan Graysons relationship, Kotaku believes he did nothing wrong, some of us disagree. Patricia Hernandez of Kotaku wrote glowing articles about developers she was close friends with and in one case, even lived with as a roommate. No apologies were given, disclosure was given retroactively. Said journalist also wrote an article accusing a card game developer (nothing to do with videogames btw) of rape and after he defended himself, complained that he hadnt done enough to start a positive conversation about "rape culture". This is a man who had a potentially life-destroying allegation held over his head and Kotaku had no issue writing about it and presuming his guilt. Danielle of Polygon gave Gone Home, a game which her friend was the sound designer of, a 10/10 perfect score, she did not disclose her relationship with said person. Destructoid reviewed Borderlands 2 for which the brother of Ashley Burch was a writer and also an ex-staff member of Destructoid. This was only disclosed much later when they fell under scrutiny, they had not thought to disclose it prior. A group called GamejournoPros with a large number of "competiting" journalists allegedly colluded to blacklist a journalist called Alistair Pinsof and also discussed sending letters of support and gifts to Zoe Quinn, clearly not realising the wall that should exist between subject and journalist. Indeed one of them even referred to her as a colleague. The release of so many articles proclaiming gamers dead on the same day raised questions of collusion that have yet to be answered.

I call on everyone to reject harassment in all its forms, but simultaneously realise that the few do not represent the many. Do not engage in guilt by association and instead treat people as people, not some labeled box of sub-humans online for you to attack and dismiss.

I and many supporting Gamergate believe this should have been disclosed or that Grayson should have recused himself from writing this article. Kotaku disagrees.

It's riffing on the perceived notion that you can self-identify as anything you want now. It's generally used by social conservatives mocking people who transition.

You can play it off as a joke for shock value, but it isn't particularly shocking, isn't particularly insightful, and isn't particularly funny on it own merits...

So, exactly like Total Biscuit.

I see what you're saying and I've heard that kind of language used before to insult the choices of others.

At the end of the day, I would rank this type of behavior at the bottom of the transphobic abuse totem pole.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
That was a very interesting article that Zkylon linked to with Totalbiscuit's opinions. I'm of a mind that he does not align with the Gamergate group, but merely finds some similarities between his own opinions and some of the issues the group brought to light.

If you associate Gamergate with harassment brigade, then no he is not apart of that group. If you wish to discus issues with gaming journalism, then he would agree there are problems.

But dat sixclaws, doe:

I see what you're saying and I've heard that kind of language used before to insult the choices of others.

At the end of the day, I would rank this type of behavior at the bottom of the transphobic abuse totem pole.

I'd argue that it's fundamentally one of the worst jokes a person can attempt about the trans community. You are literally turning their belief into a farce; that their self-identity is as valid as your purposely absurd analogy.

If it is low on the totem pole it's because it's the foundation of abuse.

Lain

I was randomly checking my kickstarter stuff and came upon a message that said the final version of WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode 2 is on Steam.

Hello Backers,

We've gotten the final version of ep2 now on Steam. If you avoided the Alpha version now is the time to play the final version.

Provided final testing doesn't find anything weird we expect the game to launch this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom