• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
if i had an arcade machine i'd hook it up to contra hard corps for the sega genesis

i know that wasn't ever on the arcades but that game is super cool

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
if i had an arcade machine i'd hook it up to contra hard corps for the sega genesis

i know that wasn't ever on the arcades but that game is super cool

Thats actually something I plan on getting in about two months! I got a Genesis again recently that came with Sonic 1&2, but I blew my load on a framemeister and RGB cables for the Saturn, Super Famicom, and a Euro-SCART adapter.

So far my Genesis to get list is:
Genesis.txt said:
Contra Hard Corps
Castlevania Bloodlines
Alisia Dragoon
Thunder Force 4
Super Shinobi
Puyo Puyo 2
Bare Knuckle 2
Gunstar Heroes
Herzog Zwei

I once bought an old arcade cabinet that had Svideo on it to plug in an old PC loaded with Hyperspin on it. Had it loaded with every MAME game that worked along with SNES, Genesis, NES, and even Gameboy on there. Unfortunately, the monitor started warping really bad after 2-3 months and it became unplayable.

But man, parties at my place became SFII and MKII marathons along with playthroughs of the Xmen and Simpsons game.

I need to make another one of those, maybe just making a cheapo system using an ancient laptop with an LCD screen and not get so caught up in making it as close to an arcade experience as possible. Hmm.

Maybe I'll replace my lappy with a Surface and have it sunset as a mame machine

zkylon

zkylewd
Thats actually something I plan on getting in about two months! I got a Genesis again recently that came with Sonic 1&2, but I blew my load on a framemeister and RGB cables for the Saturn, Super Famicom, and a Euro-SCART adapter.

So far my Genesis to get list is:
cool. it's my favorite genesis game i think

actually can't remember that many other genesis games outside of sonic

dunno if i'd ever build an arcade cabinet tbh, i like the idea but takes so much space and while something like hard corps sounds nice it feels like too much trouble to me

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cool. it's my favorite genesis game i think

actually can't remember that many other genesis games outside of sonic

dunno if i'd ever build an arcade cabinet tbh, i like the idea but takes so much space and while something like hard corps sounds nice it feels like too much trouble to me

I only remember Sonic games from when I was little so this is me broadening my Genesis horizons mostly. I think it's Freedom Planet's fault since I wanted more Genesis style action after I played it and most of the indie stuff on Steam and Consoles is geared towards more Nintendoy stuff.

I want an arcade cab but I don't really have room for it at all here in my cheapo apartment since I want a Astro City cab.

If you like old genesis platformers and games like it then you should really play Hell Yeah! It feels like an HD remake of a long lost genesis game and is severely overlooked.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Saw that Bloodrayne Betrayal is on sale for 2 Euros, I just so happened to have 2 euros of steam wallet fake internet money from selling useless cards and TF2 items and bought it. It's quite nice actually, battle system is a tad clunky when it comes to dodging enemy attacks but other than that it's a solid game, easily worth the current asking price.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If you like old genesis platformers and games like it then you should really play Hell Yeah! It feels like an HD remake of a long lost genesis game and is severely overlooked.
Cool I'll wishlist it and check it out when I got some cash!

No Shining Force 2 ?
To me, that game is the best the system had to offer.

Well a good amount of those were recommendations from a friend with Castlevania and Contra being the ones I wanted beforehand but I'll give it a look! I'm going to a retro games convention during the weekend so I'm going to see if I can get a few things on the cheap.

MaxiLive

I only remember Sonic games from when I was little so this is me broadening my Genesis horizons mostly. I think it's Freedom Planet's fault since I wanted more Genesis style action after I played it and most of the indie stuff on Steam and Consoles is geared towards more Nintendoy stuff.

I want an arcade cab but I don't really have room for it at all here in my cheapo apartment since I want a Astro City cab.

Aww man some good old Sonic! I love the Mega Drive mainly for the music, so many great tracks from that era of gaming.

I built an arcade cabinet a few years back but recently go rid of it due to not getting much use, taking up a lot of space and the PC running the games dying :( It was really easy to build though and fairly cheap but I did go the cheapo route using an X-arcade stick rather than making a custom one.

zkylon

zkylewd
now that i did some tripping down memory lane

hard corps - by far my favorite genesis game, best first level in the history of videogames. so many explosions and random cool shit
sonic 2 - my favorite sonic game for some reason, coldn't really tell u why
sonic & knuckles - the one i ended up playing the most cos sonic 2 mysteriously disappeared one day. or something like that. didn't like this one nearly as much
vectorman - this game looked so fucking cool back in the day. i think it was awful to play but can't quite remember
comix zone - dunno why but this game made me feel a bit sick when i played it. really cool idea for a game that i feel like an indie dev should copy one of these days
cool spot - played a shit ton of this and was actually dead set on it being like the coolest game ever. i think it was a pretty miserable game but can't remember
earthworm jim - the most i remember about earthworm jim is being creeped out by the screams in the hell level. i really liked this game back in the day but i bet i'd hate it now
mortal kombat 3 ultimate - for some reason after my initial reaction of bursting into tears after watching mortal kombat for the first time, i got addicted to this game and played the shit out of it. never vs mode tho, just beating up the ai. i'm just not a multiplayer person and never was lol

so yeah, i didn't exactly love the genesis lol

now that i did some tripping down memory lane

hard corps - by far my favorite genesis game, best first level in the history of videogames. so many explosions and random cool shit
sonic 2 - my favorite sonic game for some reason, coldn't really tell u why
sonic & knuckles - the one i ended up playing the most cos sonic 2 mysteriously disappeared one day. or something like that. didn't like this one nearly as much
vectorman - this game looked so fucking cool back in the day. i think it was awful to play but can't quite remember
comix zone - dunno why but this game made me feel a bit sick when i played it. really cool idea for a game that i feel like an indie dev should copy one of these days
cool spot - played a shit ton of this and was actually dead set on it being like the coolest game ever. i think it was a pretty miserable game but can't remember
earthworm jim - the most i remember about earthworm jim is being creeped out by the screams in the hell level. i really liked this game back in the day but i bet i'd hate it now
mortal kombat 3 ultimate - for some reason after my initial reaction of bursting into tears after watching mortal kombat for the first time, i got addicted to this game and played the shit out of it. never vs mode tho, just beating up the ai. i'm just not a multiplayer person and never was lol

so yeah, i didn't exactly love the genesis lol

I cannot help but notice a lack of one of the best genesis games ever created here... though depending on emulation discussions and the like, you should just go with the MAME version for a true arcade experience:

strider2.gif
(Strider)

Other genesis games that were great:
Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles (+ Sonic 3)
Quackshot
Altered Beast
Shadow Dancer
Castle of Illusion
Columns
Toejam & Earl 1 & 2
Disney's Aladdin
Shinobi III
Sonic Spinball
Revenge of Shinobi

Awesome game! Pure WayForward DD goodness.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (DaBargainHunta, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Double Dragon Neon -- MB-94BE086E8DBCEDCE - Taken by Dimitri2401. 3 entrants total.

t1437493293z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
I cannot help but notice a lack of one of the best genesis games ever created here... though depending on emulation discussions and the like, you should just go with the MAME version for a true arcade experience:

(Strider)

Other genesis games that were great:
Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles (+ Sonic 3)
Quackshot
Altered Beast
Shadow Dancer
Castle of Illusion
Columns
Toejam & Earl 1 & 2
Disney's Aladdin
Shinobi III
Sonic Spinball
Revenge of Shinobi
well it was mostly a thing of availability

genesis game copies were pretty expensive as they were but most games were unavailable or very rare in argieland

i played a lot more super nintendo even if i never had the console because of emulators just made playing games like super mario rpg, the final fantasy games, shadowrun, front mission, and other snes favorites of mine so much easier.

tho i was never one for brawlers, so don't think strider specifically appeals to me either way

well it was mostly a thing of availability

genesis game copies were pretty expensive as they were but most games were unavailable or very rare in argieland

i played a lot more super nintendo even if i never had the console because of emulators just made playing games like super mario rpg, the final fantasy games, shadowrun, front mission, and other snes favorites of mine so much easier.

tho i was never one for brawlers, so don't think strider specifically appeals to me either way

It's more of an ... action platformer, I'd guess -- brawler tends to evoke "streets of rage" or "golden axe" type games for me.

SNES has a lot of gems too. I generally preferred my RPG and fighting games on the SNES; SNES also had a wealth of good platformers.

Dsyndrome

Altered Beast

Anyone ever legit beat Altered Beast? Couldn't advance far at all past the second or third stage without savestates. Awesome game though.

Backlogger

I think my GMG cart is going to expire before I finish checking out because their site is so slow right now. Not going to miss out on the Shadowrun Dragonfall deal again though.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's more of an ... action platformer, I'd guess -- brawler tends to evoke "streets of rage" or "golden axe" type games for me.

SNES has a lot of gems too. I generally preferred my RPG and fighting games on the SNES; SNES also had a wealth of good platformers.

if it involves punching stuff

or jumping stuff

it's probably not for me

if it involves punching stuff

or jumping stuff

it's probably not for me

Haha, I'll keep that in mind.

Anyone ever legit beat Altered Beast? Couldn't advance far at all past the second or third stage without savestates. Awesome game though.

Yes. I have. I remember back when I was a kid and all I really wanted for Christmas was Altered Beast for my SMS. Yeah, it wasn't arcade perfect and it was missing a stage, but I know I beat that one. I think I did it again on Genesis too.

I wish more companies did this.
I'd play the Tomb Raider Legend-Anniversary-Underworld trilogy again if they added achievements to them, for example.

I think the Trilogy has platinum trophies (and thus regular trophies) on PS3.
But I think those were added as part of the "remaster" or whatever.
It'd be nice of SE to patch them into the older games though -- I'm always for sync'ing up anything I've already earned. ^_^

I don't have to choose!
scWmYiTl.jpg

I like the Sega Saturn the most.

Someone prefers real HW, it seems. :D

Those screens MRORANGE posted in his thread of RaspberryPi running emulation on a 4:3 makes me want one... :3

Backlogger

never been so happy to pay for argie tax

tomorrow i'm going to customs to get my fucking obsidan t-shirt

tomorrow is the day i'm happy

It's the little things in life isn't it. I don't know though, I think the t-shirt would probably give me anxiety. Is it going to fit right? Does it have one of those super thin collars that stretch out to easily?

On the topic of SNES vs SEGA. I probably prefer SNES, but at least I can play most of the great classic SEGA games on Steam. With the SNES I have to find other ways to play those games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wish more companies did this.
I'd play the Tomb Raider Legend-Anniversary-Underworld trilogy again if they added achievements to them, for example.

What's most frustrating about the particular games you chose is that they already have achievements on other platforms but not on Steam. The same is true of other great games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, and the early Assassin's Creed games.

zkylon

zkylewd
Haha, I'll keep that in mind.
haha yea, you can also add racing, sports in general and strategy

so basically if it's not an rpg, league of legends or a clever little cute indie thing i'm prolly not gonna like it :p

i'm like, terrible lol

It's the little things in life isn't it. I don't know though, I think the t-shirt would probably give me anxiety. Is it going to fit right? Does it have one of those super thin collars that stretch out to easily?
i'm hoping american sizes are not like huge or something, but that's about it. i'm pretty tiny so i'm gonna be able to get into it, just hoping i can actually wear it outside lol

Backlogger

haha yea, you can also add racing, sports in general and strategy

so basically if it's not an rpg, league of legends or a clever little cute indie thing i'm prolly not gonna like it :p

i'm like, terrible lol

i'm hoping american sizes are not like huge or something, but that's about it. i'm pretty tiny so i'm gonna be able to get into it, just hoping i can actually wear it outside lol

Just put pillows in it if its too big

What's most frustrating about the particular games you chose is that they already have achievements on other platforms but not on Steam. The same is true of other great games like Oblivion.

The Prince of Persia games are also in that list...

Most of these are probably cases of the game being outside of the "support" window for it's lifecycle (which makes the KOTORII news really strange, even if welcomed). Usually companies do things for money, so when they (re-)released the games on xbox/ps3 and were required to have achievements/trophies, they added them as mandated. However,since most of those "HD" versions never released back to the Steam/PC platform, the achievements never surfaced on PC.

Oblivion seems to be a strange case though -- Wikipedia claims that the GOTY version was released on Steam in 2009, so that's well after Steam achievements were implemented and available. The last console release (the GOTY edition) came out on PS3 before Sony had implemented and mandated trophy support going forward, so I don't think the PS3 version ever got achievements (thus the only version of TESIV:Oblivion that has achievements is the x360 version).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom