• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the Steam community hub, despite full of all the charming and gosh darn it lovely people that post there, does have a few folks saying there's still some issue. Though I should know better than to take that as gospel but would like some quantifiable data on the issue before and after but alas that seem like too much work for anyone to be bothered to do (as flipping always it's easier to scream and shout than investigate).

I'm so close to finishing The Witcher III that I might just bite the bullet and knock it out and return if the Season Pass stuff turns out to be good.

Cheers for the update though.

I'm honestly a little surprised how CDPR has gone completely silent after the 1.07 patch. Reading reddit and the Steam/official forums gives the impression that the patch has introduced a whole host of issues and one would imagine they would say something about it other than vague tweets about how they're looking into things. I'm fairly close to the end myself but I know that there are a few pending quests that are broken so I've decided to hold off until they get fixed. Bit surprised that they haven't fixed achievements as it seems like it would be a fairly straightforward thing to handle broken achievement triggers and the related threads on forums gather the maximum number of posts.

AHA-Lambda

Hmm, played 4 hours of Ironcast now and have only just gotten to the first boss where I got creamed.

Not sure if I suck or this is the expected curve of progression =/

Phinor

Hmm, played 4 hours of Ironcast now and have only just gotten to the first boss where I got creamed.

At launch the game was (supposedly) quite easy, few hours and you are done. They made the game a lot harder with patches but early buyers already had unlocks etc. so I'm pretty sure some people still said it's an easy game. I spent 4 hours with the game last month and couldn't get past the first boss. After 4 hours I had seen enough, a bit too repetitive/grindy for my taste with the new balance.

Arthea

That doesn't sound good... I bought it at summer sale, but I was burnt by Super Star Path and Block Legend DX with "you won't advance" gameplay mechanics too recently to want more, and there is Battle for Blood with similar problem that I still try to advance in, but there it is more "buy game money for real money if you wanna advance faster" problem than other.

At launch the game was (supposedly) quite easy, few hours and you are done. They made the game a lot harder with patches but early buyers already had unlocks etc. so I'm pretty sure some people still said it's an easy game. I spent 4 hours with the game last month and couldn't get past the first boss. After 4 hours I had seen enough, a bit too repetitive/grindy for my taste with the new balance.

That's odd, I checked reviews at some point when deciding to buy it or wait, and I remember them stating that a game is hard.

Knurek

I'm honestly a little surprised how CDPR has gone completely silent after the 1.07 patch. Reading reddit and the Steam/official forums gives the impression that the patch has introduced a whole host of issues and one would imagine they would say something about it other than vague tweets about how they're looking into things. I'm fairly close to the end myself but I know that there are a few pending quests that are broken so I've decided to hold off until they get fixed. Bit surprised that they haven't fixed achievements as it seems like it would be a fairly straightforward thing to handle broken achievement triggers and the related threads on forums gather the maximum number of posts.

If insider reports are to be believed, they have been in crunch for the last two years.
I'm guessing people are just dead tired and want the whole thing to be over already.

The odd thing was that they listed performance improvements as part of this last update. You'd think someone would've caught that it did the exact opposite of that. I'm assuming that the performance degradation also affects the PC version?

Still waiting to play this game even though I had it preorder through the now-dead Russian bears over a year ago

Surprised that this game got the treatment. I do believe we are seeing the benefits of x86/similar-to-pc architecture of consoles that so much gets remastered.
It's a good thing really. Chances that games which were console-only in last-gen become console+pc with newgen ports are high.
So, this is coming along:

fXrp1M0.png

Hoping I can roll it out soon
Brilliant feature! And I thought we'd not see new stuff from you anytime soon. Don't overtake yourself bud. Health is no.1.

I take it neither The Witcher III or GTAV have had their 'issues' resolved respectively from the latest patches? Got updates paused on both where as I'm not to fussed about getting back to knocking out the chievos for GTA V due to finishing the story but really want to get back to The Witcher III but not to fond of having to play it offline and knowing there's some new changes in the latest patch I'd like to try out.

The new inventory and movement set is pretty nice, but the bugged quests are annoying.

I Qwent'ed for my Ciri card, but the quests status didn't change. Keeps telling me to talk to the guy I just beat.

AHA-Lambda

Ah that might explain it, I seen a lot of forum posts saying it was easy and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong =/

Hmm, I'll give it a couple more hours and see where I get; I ain't spending 20 odd hours on this to finish it.

NotSelf

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NotSelf, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mercenary Kings -- MB-637B9494D6641FEA - Taken by anastef. 6 entrants total.

t1437572498z1.png

Grief.exe

How often happens in real life our theory about 3rd tier having at least ten times requirement than other tiers is true, it's still at 7%... that doesn't look good for our prospects of free ToS, not good at all.

edite: this post was about Tales of Zestiria, of course.

Still a long way until release, keep in mind sales jump up massively a week or two before release.

I feel for you guys near the end. Luckily I finished up a week ago, but I really just don't want to stop playing. The game is that great, but now I'm forced to wait so quests and shit don't bug out on me.

The odd thing was that they listed performance improvements as part of this last update. You'd think someone would've caught that it did the exact opposite of that. I'm assuming that the performance degradation also affects the PC version?

Still waiting to play this game even though I had it preorder through the now-dead Russian bears over a year ago

IMO, the performance improved on my side. I'm running everything on Ultra (minus CA and hairwerx, because fuck that) now and I don't notice any dips. I didn't have FPS running to see what I'm getting, but it seems pretty stable.

Just some bugged quests so far.

MUnited83

For you.
How often happens in real life our theory about 3rd tier having at least ten times requirement than other tiers is true, it's still at 7%... that doesn't look good for our prospects of free ToS, not good at all.

edite: this post was about Tales of Zestiria, of course.

It will definitely, undoubtedly unlock. Don't worry about it.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
ModBot said:
Instructions for Applesauce:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Applesauce, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Stanley Parable -- MB-672578A7844C6E96 - Taken by Freedom = $1.05. 5 entrants total.

t1437573877z1.png

Grief.exe

it will have to have massive one indeed, because by the rate the third tier is going so far we can hope for ~80% at best on the release day.

You're calculations assume sales will remain continually stagnate until release. Historically sales always drop off massively just after pre-orders open, then have a huge wave just as pre-release press starts to drop.

Those assumptions just don't hold up in reality. Relax, it's far too premature to come to a conclusion.

AHA-Lambda

Resident Evil Revelaitons did not unlock last tier (season pass).

That game had a season pass?

Yeah, reading through the patch notes now, it seems almost all of the changes favour the enemy >_<

Phawx

What does the new disc usage thing mean on steam downloads? Is there anything to make it faster also?

mkf2T2c.png

I would assume the disk usage graph would be a corollary indicator. Such as, if you machine is busy doing a disk operation outside of Steam and downloads were sluggish, you could easily see that.

I'm assuming.

I feel for you guys near the end. Luckily I finished up a week ago, but I really just don't want to stop playing. The game is that great, but now I'm forced to wait so quests and shit don't bug out on me.

IMO, the performance improved on my side. I'm running everything on Ultra (minus CA and hairwerx, because fuck that) now and I don't notice any dips. I didn't have FPS running to see what I'm getting, but it seems pretty stable.

Just some bugged quests so far.

Most in pc performance thread are seeing higher fps with the patch.

I finished the last hour and a half of the game after the patch and didn't seem to get any achievements. Not a huge deal to me i guess.

Resident Evil Revelaitons did not unlock last tier (season pass).

Interesting, I missed that. I was actually going to pre-order back then but ended up waiting for a price drop, didn't know it ended up not unlocking the third tier.
Tales might not unlock either, the requirement must be pretty high for them to give away a brand new release, though sometimes there's a huge spike in the last few days.

Kifimbo

Not much, but both have cards:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Ichi -- MB-A4BF6AFDE43A042A - Taken by Cyldman
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-C2C4158561453326 - Taken by MushroomSamba

Arthea

You're calculations assume sales will remain continually stagnate until release. Historically sales always drop off massively just after pre-orders open, then have a huge wave just as pre-release press starts to drop.

Those assumptions just don't hold up in reality. Relax, it's far too premature to come to a conclusion.

you have a point... but also I made a typo, if rate remains the same we will be at 50% not 80%.

Haunted

Has anyone here played/tried Into the Stars? It does look interesting and Idle Thumbs praised it in last week's podcast.

Mercenary Kings seems pretty mechanically uninteresting to me. Like, it just feels like a chore to play on top of not having much to do but the same thing over and over again. More power to you if that's your thing though. I mean, I don't particularly hate games that are a grind or anything, but damn if that game isn't anything but straight up uninteresting to me. I think it's more boring than Torchlight 2. Hell, it even makes Borderlands 2 look like actual GOTY material.
I've tried to get into Mercenary Kings several times now, but it always loses me a couple missions in.

It apes Monster Hunter's structure so much but they didn't properly consider why these (often unintuitive design decisions) work in Capcom's current flagship franchise. The end result is a game with strong art, passable gameplay and weak mission design that quickly alienates the player and drains all the fun with its constant, punishing, mindless repetition.

I think it's a game that could be salvaged with tweaks. Tighter areas, more mobility, a more straightforward and accelerated progression, get rid of the grinding, the punishingly rare random drops, the shitty rescue missions that necessitate scouring every single quadrant of the current map, the bosses switching zones for no apparent rhyme or reason except to 100% copy MonHun without stopping to think why that's good there and absolute shit here.

It might not be the 500+ hour plus game after these tweaks anymore, but what use is a game with hundreds of hours of content if it drives most of its players away after the first five.

MUnited83

For you.
it will have to have massive one indeed, because by the rate the third tier is going so far we can hope for ~80% at best on the release day.
It will unlock without issues before that. Let's stop with the non-sensical math. The rate won't stay the same and it will pick up as we get close to release.

Arthea

Interesting, I missed that. I was actually going to pre-order back then but ended up waiting for a price drop, didn't know it ended up not unlocking the third tier.
Tales might not unlock either, the requirement must be pretty high for them to give away a brand new release, though sometimes there's a huge spike in the last few days.

requirement is insanely high, for third tier that is, unless nobody buys it anymore and is waiting till 3rd tier will unlock (as me). It can be the case, actually.

for example first two tiers unlocked in less than a month, meaning making more than 50% a week, now we are way past a week, close to two with 7%.

It will unlock without issues before that. Let's stop with the non-sensical math. The rate won't stay the same and it will pick up as we get close to release.

since when math is nonsensical? And you don't know that as I don't know, I merely was pointing this anomaly. BTW, why are you so hostile all the time?
on second thought, no, don't answer that, I don't want another drama.

http://docs.livestreamer.io/

And if you still want the chat bullshit, just irc it
Just set this up and CPU usage is better at VLC with livestreamer. Both are running the same stream at source quality. There are spikes here and there at both but VLC had generally lower usage.
umPU0J3.png

I know, web browser does a lot more besides just working the stream but here a screen I took with all same in the browser, I just closed the stream.
69dquCl.png

Watching streams in a media player is truly a lot more flexible. Can resize window to my desire and put it all over the screen. Really useful.

But it's a super-huge hassle to type in cmd and whatnot. Would have been so much more better if there was a way for livestreamer to auto-start once I open a Twitch-stream.

MUnited83

For you.
requirement is insanely high, for third tier that is, unless nobody buys it anymore and is waiting till 3rd tier will unlock (as me). It can be the case, actually.

for example first two tiers unlocked in less than a month, meaning making more than 25% a week, now we are way past a week, close to two with 7%.

since when math is nonsensical? And you don't know that as I don't know, I merely was pointing this anomaly. BTW, why are you so hostile all the time?
on second thought, no, don't answer that, I don't want another drama.
Saying it's non-sensical math is being hostile now? Lol
It's a statement of a fact and nothing more. You can't look at the current rate and say "oh, this won't unlock because of the rate" because that completely ignores the rates change depending on a numbers of factores. Its like calculating how much a Kickstarter will get based on the rate of the first two days.

Played it already? It's a weeklong deal but I'm not 100% sure (also it could be bundled fairly soon).

Yeah, picked it up during the steam sale. I think it was 50% off at the time, which is a fine enough deal for me. :)

Also, just realized you guys give away games in here...that's pretty generous! Picked up Ballpoint Universe...been on the fence about that one and now I'll get to try it out!

Arthea

Saying it's non-sensical math is being hostile now? Lol
It's a statement of a fact and nothing more. You can't look at the current rate and say "oh, this won't unlock because of the rate" because that completely ignores the rates change depending on a numbers of factores. Its like calculating how much a Kickstarter will get based on the rate of the first two days.
I still don't see why I can't speculate or project or point facts, I'll do that all the time, in real life too, why exactly I shouldn't do that? You can confide in me, tell me what you really feel.
Nothing you say are facts, we know that close to release date usually there is sales boost, that's about it and Kickstarter has nothing to do with this either.
sorry for bad jokes as usual

derExperte

Also, just realized you guys give away games in here...that's pretty generous! Picked up Ballpoint Universe...been on the fence about that one and now I'll get to try it out!

I completed (100%) Ballpoint two days ago. Unfortunately I got an overpowered combination of equipment early on which killed the aspect of buying other weapons, balance isn't the best and it ain't very long especially if you only want to get through but I liked it well enough. Could use a second part with more depth.

Grief.exe

since when math is nonsensical?

I still don't see why I can't speculate or project or point facts, I'll do that all the time, in real life too, why exactly I shouldn't do that? You can confide in me, tell me what you really feel.

Don't take it so harshly, just pointing out how you are committing a fallacy by not taking shifting market conditions into account.

Sales are completely stagnated at this point as the game is still months out, sales likely go up by an order of thousands of percent the week before release.

It was the same fallacy Fanto was committing the other day. Assuming Japanese studios would always stay console exclusive despite changing marketing, publisher, and ideological conditions.

Arthea

Don't take it so harshly, just pointing out how you are committing a fallacy by not taking shifting market conditions into account.

Sales are completely stagnated at this point as the game is still months out, sales likely go up by an order of thousands of percent the week before release.

It was the same fallacy Fanto was committing the other day. Assuming Japanese studios would always stay console exclusive despite changing marketing, publisher, and ideological conditions.

you are right, but I can't take that into account because I don't know any facts or numbers, just tendencies.
Also I'm not saying ToZ surely won't make it, I'm just pointing out that it can fail if conditions remain the same also that most likely reqs for third tier are much higher as we joked some time ago.

Anyway, let's just leave this topic for now, I'll keep an eye on ToZ and will inform steamgaf if any changes to better or worse occur.

Phawx

x-posting from the indie thread as these are also Steam games

My Quick Look of Tachyon Project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx8nNLSwl0c

header.jpg

Quick Impressions:

Essentially, it's a Geometry Wars-like. The scoring method is inversed. So instead of shooting things to increase your score and picking up their gems to increase your multiplier, you shoot things to increase your multiplier and pick up gems to increase your score.

I kind of prefer the way scoring is handled in vanilla Geometry Wars, but this way is completely valid.

The parts that expand on the Geometry Wars formula is with the ship's configuration. You need to advance in the game to unlock new weapons and augments, but essentially you can create a custom loadout for your ship, which is also pleasantly necessary as the game progresses (instead of just being a thing you can do with no purpose).

For instance, instead of your standard mini-spread gun pattern, you can opt for a more narrow but faster shot, like a machine gun. Or you can go even tighter and with a higher frequency and have a laser.

Vanilla Geometry Wars gives you Bombs, Tachyon Project gives you bombs as well. But they aren't level destroyers, they just do a spread of damage. It doesn't necessarily have to kill your enemies, just injure them. Or you could opt to do one set of bombs and one set of proximity mines, or freezing bombs.

Additionally, you get two augments to complete your loadout. Augments such as fire faster, do more damage per shot, your ship goes faster, etc.

The last thing I want to mention is the timer. The timer has two mechanics attached to it. One is that it's your health. You can gain health/time by defeating enemies. The second is your bombs/secondary weapons use 1 second per use (each secondary weapon has a cooldown, so you can't just spam it forcing yourself to die.)

Bottom line: Tachyon Project is a well done Geometry Wars clone, mechanics-wise. The visuals and sound are not up to par though.

My Quick Look of Zombie Killtime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWz3vck2s_U

header.jpg

Quick Impressions:

I've played tons of these types of games before, the most recent one I can remember is Zombie Kill Of The Week - Reborn. Essentially, it's like CoD Zombies, but in 2D. Zombie Killtime features Minecraft-like characters and enemies. They aren't voxels as far as I can tell, they are just chunky pixels.

There are a few character classes, (Medic, Scout, Soldier, etc) of which I only tried assault: as no one is really playing this game yet (it doesn't come out for another few weeks.)

It's a game where you really need to have friends play with you to make it worthwhile, kind-of-thing.​

Corpekata

Banned
Do people think the pre-order things are legitimate? I think only one game has ever failed to hit 100 percent.

It seems like Zestria's third tier is artificially longer to me and likely to be adjusted.

Dsyndrome

Jesus christ GOG, fix Galaxy constantly disconnecting will you?
Maybe put another ZX Spectrum in the server farm?
idk

They charged me for the Cthulhu games when buying on the client yesterday but the games never went to my library. Account refresh did nothing. If my last support ticket was any indication, I should hear back in three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom