• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I'm so in lemme skip everything camp, so fully I might live there and even if I never skip cutscenes on my first playthrough, I want option to skip: excessive combat animations, when possible, in turn based strategy games fastforward enemy movements to the point where they encounter my unit or end they movement, building animations if there are any, tutorials, that has to be a thing by now, etc.

Dr Dogg

i just restarted my PC after cleaning it , then start the client and it showed me this.

this is the first time i see this message

Cleaning how? With a duster or clearing out your hard drive? Press Install Service and if you get no errors then forget it ever happened. If you get errors.. well we'll go from there.

I'm so in lemme skip everyt...

Yeah me too which is why I skipped the rest of your post :p

AHA-Lambda

giphy.gif

L.O.R.D

Cleaning how? With a duster or clearing out your hard drive? Press Install Service and if you get no errors then forget it ever happened. If you get errors.. well we'll go from there.

ok , no problem
just pressed and nothing happened
then clicked on the steam icon on start then it opened steam like normal

Why would he ever do that? Why would anyone ever do that?
Come on, VLC is the best one.
Despise it's subtitle fonts. And since I watch everything with subs when available it's a biggie. But it gets a lot of use when other players have trouble with playback. UI is ugly though.
Low res faces? Pfft! Who cares when you can do this to randoms on the street.

http://a.pomf.se/okvhlm.webm

Embrace the fuckaboutery that is Sleepy Dawgs!
Incredible. Directed by John Woo.
That is really great and I am kinda miffed that was not the game I got for my card :'(
Today is my birthday!
I think I'll gift myself TIS-100, rocket league seems fun but it's 20€ at the moment
Happy birthday!
Kinda wanna share something about my life. Not important at all. Just like to get it off my chest.
Florida sounds like a nice place. The weather, the beaches, the palms, the nature. But I feel for you. Leaving everything and your past life behind is not easy but hey, it can also lead to a whole positive change in your life! I wish you a happy new life there buddy and best of success and happiness at university.
Alienware Twitch stream going...giving away Killing Floor 2

http://www.twitch.tv/alienware
You people have always the most fun when I'm not here.

Arthea

Amplitude is all right, and all, but I still would prefer if they haven't dropped Endless Space like a hot potato.
There's a place on the market for both a fantasy 4X and a sci-fi 4X...

I don't think that Endless legend is that good to begin with, rather it has potential to be good, from what I've played during the free weekend.
Endless Space isn't bad either, I just can't stomach that UI of theirs.

Dr Dogg

I don't think that Endless legend is that good to begin with, rather it has potential to be good, from what I've played during the free weekend.
Endless Space isn't bad either, I just can't stomach that UI of theirs.

Simple, clean and flat what's not to love. Plus it scales really nice with resolution too. What do you want? Rounded corners, gradients and drop shadows a-hoy-hoy? Bluurrgghhh!!!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

I say unskippable cut scenes are fine for the first time around, but give people the option to skip once they've beaten the game once. I don't really see why people would skip cutscenes on the first time through a game, especially if they advance plot or have a bearing on the story. Unskippable cutscenes to cover loading times are okay, but only if the loading is unavoidable or you can skip the scene once the loading's completed.

I stopped playing FF10 on my Vita cause I couldn't skip a ~6min cutscene before a Boss fight. I really had fun with the game, and also have no problem with trying a fight many times to find the weak points and so on... but I just couldn't bare clicking through that damn scene again and again... killed the game for me :(

So, yeah, please let me skip that stuff...

Dr Dogg

Checkpoints before unskippable cutscenes are horrific design to start with anyway. There was a thread on here a couple of years ago titled 'Look at all that juice!' and just the title brought back flashbacks of that fucking emulsion factory in Gears 1.

Also if Space Jam 2 doesn't have Billy Murray returning then sorry no dice.

Arthea

Simple, clean and flat what's not to love. Plus it scales really nice with resolution too. What do you want? Rounded corners, gradients and drop shadows a-hoy-hoy? Bluurrgghhh!!!

I want it to be convenient, comfortable, intuitive and simple.
Also it doesn't scale nicely at all, I can't understand how you can say this. I had to click below army on one particular spot to be able to select it, I hardly can imagine anything even more infuriating than that.

Dr Dogg

LOOK AT ALL DAT JUICE

Too late I replayed Gears 1 early this year and got over my grievance. Though I'm sure the Win10 Store Exclusive Ultimate Edition will rekindle my loathing of that checkpoint.

I want it to be convenient, comfortable, intuitive and simple.
Also it doesn't scale nicely at all, I can't understand how you can say this. I had to click below army on one particular spot to be able to select it, I hardly can imagine anything even more infuriating than that.

I mean by increasing the resolution the UI scales correctly. Doesn't happen with a lot of games and some bug out completely. But hey each to their own and options to customise are always nice. Why is it that only MMO's really let you break apart the I and mod it to your hearts content?

Teggy

How is the gameplay mechanic? Is it less janky than the first two Dead Island games? I can tolerate a game with shitty story and characters if it has solid gameplay.

They are very different games. ESD is a third person slasher/shooter with light stealth. I think most people who are less forgiving of gameplay flaws would consider it more janky than DI.

Vuze

Checkpoints before unskippable cutscenes are horrific design to start with anyway. There was a thread on here a couple of years ago titled 'Look at all that juice!' and just the title brought back flashbacks of that fucking emulsion factory in Gears 1.

Also if Space Jam 2 doesn't have Billy Murray returning then sorry no dice.
One of the reasons why I dropped Far Crash 4.
As a fun fact, I revisited the game two weeks ago to see how well it fares with Gsync. They still haven't fixed the movement stutter if your framerate isn't a locked 30 or 60 and it still crashes ("FC4 stopped working" etc) like shit. Probably the purchase I regret the most last year.

Arthea

I mean by increasing the resolution the UI scales correctly. Doesn't happen with a lot of games and some bug out completely. But hey each to their own and options to customise are always nice. Why is it that only MMO's really let you break apart the I and mod it to your hearts content?

no, it doesn't scale correctly, changing resolution (those I tried) makes objects visually appear in different place than they actually are, be it armies or anything actually, meaning UI is garbled, sometimes "selecting points" appear out of screen, sometimes selecting one thing to produce in the city, adds not a selected thing but other. I also had to lower res couple of times to be able to see anything, so it can be you never encountered this problem, but it is there, UI sucks.
I don't like some other things about it, as too much clicking that can be done with less, but my main problem is that UI works properly only with certain resolutions. It would be nice it was tested and those resolutions that UI refuses to scale to, were not available at all, that could saved me from playing it!
well, I kid about playing part, I still would have played it.

Dr Dogg

no, it doesn't scale correctly, changing resolution (those I tried) makes objects visually appear in different place than they actually are, be it armies or anything actually, meaning UI is garbled, sometimes "selecting points" appear out of screen, sometimes selecting one thing to produce in the city, adds not a selected thing but other. I also had to lower res couple of times to be able to see anything, so it can be you never encountered this problem, but it is there, UI sucks.
I don't like some other things about it, as too much clicking that can be done with less, but my main problem is that UI works properly only with certain resolutions. It would be nice it was tested and those resolutions that UI refuses to scale to, were not available at all, that could saved me from playing it!
well, I kid about playing part, I still would have played it.

Well can't say I've experienced any of what you say or seen any examples in the countless videos or screenshots I've seen but I'll take your word for it. But you know me, I've tried various resolutions and aspect ratios and seen nothing untoward or out of place.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh man, it turns out I love Space Jam a lot more than I thought I did, ha. Then again, I haven't rewatched it in forever. Maybe that's a good thing.

Maniac

Banned
I don't think so, because it's about the community itself.

Even so, the off-topic posts have also alienated a lot of previous members. I think if it's about PC anime games, they ought to suck it up, and skip over it like I do with FPS posts.

Treating the thread as a chat needed to stop though, and it recently has, thankfully. Even JaseC was having trouble keeping up with the thread before. We just need to make sure this continues.

This thread rarely talks about anime games, just shitty anime cartoon crap.

It's awful.
Ori healed my body and made me whole again.

Ori killed my family and shaved my head.

I'm now Max Payne.
Because NIS is a Japanese game developer and Japanese game developers tend to be very stubborn. :p

I believe the term you're looking for is incompetent and not stubborn. I'd say Kappa but it's honestly the fucking truth.
That's a shame but it's not unexpected, but rather understandable. He's been swatted several times and at one point they had to evacuate the airplane he was boarding due to a fucking bomb threat.

Jawmuncher

Yo so like when is quake con or whatever, i want to see some more fallout 4 yo

Sorry man they said no more fallout 4 until it's out. Just because you asked.

-----

As for gears I recall "we're not here to sell cookies" more so than look at all that juice. Though I heard my fair share of both playing that part on the hardest difficulty.

Arthea

Well can't say I've experienced any of what you say or seen any examples in the countless videos or screenshots I've seen but I'll take your word for it. But you know me, I've tried various resolutions and aspect ratios and seen nothing untoward or out of place.

That is rather odd... as I had this effect not on one resolution. I also forgot to mention that on my old PC (don't have it anymore), it run every time like if this was its first time.
So we can assume that it might have been problem on my part, I'm not 100% sure. Maybe I'll reinstall it one of these days and will check again.

edited: out of curiosity I just checked Amplitude forums, all those problems were known, maybe not widespread, tho, if you never have seen them mentioned.

So once i finish Flower today after work im going to check out Stanley Parable. I see that HLTB says you can finish it in about an hour but is that just for the "true" ending? Does such a game even have a true ending? Does the game check off endings as you get them, so that you know what've youve seen and what's left?

I just figure that I'd rather knock the game out in a sitting but I don't know how well the game informs the player of how much of its content you have seen.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So once i finish Flower today after work im going to check out Stanley Parable. I see that HLTB says you can finish it in about an hour but is that just for the "true" ending? Does such a game even have a true ending? Does the game check off endings as you get them, so that you know what've youve seen and what's left?

I just figure that I'd rather knock the game out in a sitting but I don't know how well the game informs the player of how much of its content you have seen.

It takes about 5-7 hours to find almost all of the content, from timings I've seen through other players. It depends on how quickly you're able to figure out how to properly "break" the game to see some of the hidden locations. There is, as far as I know, no canon or true ending. It also does not have a checklist of endings to get. You're left to your own devices, with the exception of looking at the achievement list and figuring out how you can earn them.

I say unskippable cut scenes are fine for the first time around, but give people the option to skip once they've beaten the game once. I don't really see why people would skip cutscenes on the first time through a game, especially if they advance plot or have a bearing on the story. Unskippable cutscenes to cover loading times are okay, but only if the loading is unavoidable or you can skip the scene once the loading's completed.

I say let people skip whenever they want. I hate replaying a section again after dying only being forced to watch a cut scene over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom