• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

So of course with another release of Enhanced Steam (being Chrome only) I get another round of fresh salt from Firefox users. For a brief moment yesterday I thought to myself, "Maybe I should work some of these new features into a Firefox release and jump through Mozilla's hoops again - stuff like the performance surveys would obviously work best the more people that have access to take them."

But between this kind of stuff and the emails and blog comments I've received in the last 12 hours, at this point I wish I had never built a Firefox version of Enhanced Steam at all.

While I don't expect everyone to agree with the decisions I make, I at least expect them to be courteous and respectful in the Steam group I created for Enhanced Steam's support needs.

Oh well, as I've said all along I'm not going to let stuff like this bring me down nor deter me from continuing onward with development for Chrome.

I won't lie; I'm a Firefox user mainly.
I do like that it works even if not at full capacity (lowest price, region price, DRM, etc.)

Of course, if I'm looking for the full experience, I'll just open Chrome instead.
Doing some web development myself, the reality of today is that you should probably have minimum 2 (recommended 3) browsers out of the main 5.

Again, you do what you want to do. It's already great that you're doing so much for all of us. I am thankful for it even if rarely vocal about it.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
FGOsf67.jpg

Metro Warp

I've no idea why i bought the skyrim legendary edition. I put a couple hundered hours into the vanilla ps3 version and never finished it. I guess to check out the dlc? I say this but when i started up again, i played for a couple hours straight.

I also dont know how i feel about Alien: Isolation. Im about an hour and a half in and ive died plenty times. It still hasnt grabbed me yet but i like what theyre doing Game looks beautiful too

Jawmuncher

Going to get Gear of War Remastered on Xbox One. Might double dip if it hits steam or if you guys actually buy it and want to play MP.

Already done soon after I posted that. The ban message I sent him was "Why are you still subscribed to this group? Oh wait, you're not."

Nicely done.

Tribes-Ascend3_zpsaa503aee.gif

Going to get Gear of War Remastered on Xbox One. Might double dip if it hits steam or if you guys actually buy it and want to play MP.

As done with KI, I will grab Gears Ultimate PC as soon as it's available and at a reasonable price. Steam or not, I'm willing to make a concession in these cases because I want to ensure that MS continues to push Xbox One games to their Windows 10 store (or Steam, preferably). And Gears Ultimate MP will probably be my next Payday 2. I have no doubt my playtime, if it were tracked on Steam, will place in the upper tier of games.

madjoki

But will Fallout 3 still have GFWL?
I bet ya answer is yes
Yeah, it counts as long as it there, even if it's technically not needed.

Edit: Fixed

I hope not. But Microsoft's funding part of it (right?), so probabaly so. (-_-)

What's the problem?
Unless you game on a Linux or Mac box, genuine Win7 and Win8 keys give free upgrades to win 10.

--

Let me use that loophole for OT posting up in here:
Since SFV is going to be on PC and a beta is coming, I'd like to watch some streaming of the PS4 beta that goes (went?) live today. Anyone in here streaming it? Or watching a stream of it? If so, link me up.

Dr Dogg

Definitely buying it and seeing as Seriously? is an achievement again that's going to need a lot of grinding so I'm down for some vaguely organised MP.

I....have no idea.

It's basically Baseball Spreadsheets : The Game. It's just a damn good baseball simulation game.

Wake me up when it's NFL Spreadsheets : The Game.
Baseball is sooooo boring to me.

Definitely buying it and seeing as Seriously? is an achievement again that's going to need a lot of grinding so I'm down for some vaguely organised MP.

Yo.

Hrmmm... maybe you should be focusing on that new group you created... what was it again? LewdAndSociallyAwkward? ;)

Come on BST thread.

Get in line.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 45 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Haunted Past Realm of Ghosts -- MB-932CBD64EA470731 - Taken by Hektor. 2 entrants total.
Pixel Star -- MB-00F5AC877FE6B916 - Taken by Vlad. 3 entrants total.
Fake Colours -- MB-959DA415ED544877 - Taken by bobnowhere. 3 entrants total.
Z Steel Soldiers -- MB-ADE3BEC8C339AD69 - Taken by ScreamingTrees. 7 entrants total.
CT Special Forces Fire for Effect -- MB-3B1402DEC2E749A8 - Taken by Javier23. 2 entrants total.
Chompy Chomp Chomp -- MB-EFC0E6E526B1F95A - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 3 entrants total.
Incoming Forces -- MB-512E5CA3B6C320CB - Taken by xGreg. 2 entrants total.
Not without my donuts -- MB-DC8C6CB0F54BFA74 - Taken by Belgarion. 3 entrants total.
The UnderGarden -- MB-C6F2C84766C2C255 - Taken by Haunted. 2 entrants total.
TRIP Steam Edition -- MB-BAEECBD21CC9150D - Taken by S1n1st3r. 2 entrants total.
Ampu-Tea -- MB-706BD02C638674EE - Taken by Saty. 2 entrants total.
yargis -- MB-C2503FA6D540378E - Taken by Loptous. 6 entrants total.
Escape The Lost Kingdom The Forgotten Pharaoh -- MB-7CFC8EA162640F01 - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Real Boxing -- MB-4C2F725B87DA5023 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 8 entrants total.
Crystal Catacombs -- MB-8D26E16679698B55 - Taken by Haunted. 3 entrants total.
Blue Rose -- MB-3E16DD30B3F740D8 - Taken by gurm3n. 2 entrants total.
AIR GUARDIANS -- MB-1B54D96A865BABEB - Taken by Hektor
Tobe's Vertical Adventure -- MB-7817F4EFD5EC8755 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.

8-Bit Adventures The Forgotten Journey -- MB-486E101C1E56579E - Taken by MaxiLive. 5 entrants total.
Princess Isabella -- MB-7CB9E9CF44E55792 - Taken by drakaenae. 1 entrants total.
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-A59618E4C819982F - Taken by Tenrius
You Are Not A Banana -- MB-9F6B22D3F6961E0F - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
The Music Machine -- MB-B819D069B1B82121 - Taken by Spirited. 10 entrants total. - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.
Vangers -- MB-0B3BA9CE3F930F1C - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 3 entrants total.
Royal Defense -- MB-C6AD539CD26F9F9D - Taken by rainking187. 3 entrants total.
Clash of Puppets -- MB-AE3EF9733D2A3F08 - Taken by Kifimbo. 11 entrants total.
Wimp Who Stole My Pants -- MB-275D7AE7A379B6C3 - Taken by Couchaddict. 6 entrants total.
Chernobyl Commando -- MB-2437C6F306B88B5F - Taken by NingenJanai. 2 entrants total.

Project Root -- MB-8FF2CA15F45CF18A - Taken by xGreg. 2 entrants total.
Desert Thunder -- MB-D6A64898D75604D9 - Taken by jgalat. 2 entrants total.
Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira -- MB-970D130D48E3D33E - Taken by lindarasta. 3 entrants total.
Go! Go! Nippon My First Trip to Japan -- MB-6D56B84512148523 - Taken by fspm. 4 entrants total.
Unium -- MB-2A5C22BA41E1227A - Taken by redlacs. 5 entrants total.
Hyper Fighters -- MB-9BC3A21B6D258A94 - Taken by xGreg. 4 entrants total.
Super Chain Crusher Horizon -- MB-DD86D1F30C95595C - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
The Original Strife Veteran Edition -- MB-60ACB1264F456089 - Taken by Kuroyume. 6 entrants total.
Frankenstein Master of Death -- MB-855118AD518324F6 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 4 entrants total.
Melissa K and the Heart of Gold Collectors Edition -- MB-3A26F0DEF7A944A9 - Taken by Belgarion. 2 entrants total.
BasketBelle -- MB-BAE85A9F6C013330 - Taken by darkchewie. 6 entrants total.
Undead Shadows -- MB-98CC49B6B636AB84 - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Journey Of The Light -- MB-6146E8C26F3757BF - Taken by Stronghammer22. 3 entrants total.
Eurofighter Typhoon -- MB-A2EFFFE7F5D16A35 - Taken by SSPssp. 1 entrants total.
Aero's Quest -- MB-7213E390C28BF653 - Taken by Mikurden. 6 entrants total.
TIKI MAN -- MB-CCF2079EE611EFBE - Taken by Dusk Golem. 4 entrants total.
Chime -- MB-5EA8F2670A62E100 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 5 entrants total.

Kill The Bad Guy -- MB-4236E8F3B81E8B3C - Taken by Natty1. 12 entrants total.

t1437688303z1.png

"The Original Strife Veteran Edition" is a Steam key too, dumb ModBot :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I won't lie; I'm a Firefox user mainly.
I do like that it works even if not at full capacity (lowest price, region price, DRM, etc.)

Of course, if I'm looking for the full experience, I'll just open Chrome instead.
Doing some web development myself, the reality of today is that you should probably have minimum 2 (recommended 3) browsers out of the main 5.

Again, you do what you want to do. It's already great that you're doing so much for all of us. I am thankful for it even if rarely vocal about it.

Thanks! I fully understand that if Enhanced Steam were a paid application or something I did for a living that I would totally want to have a version available for every browser, in addition to continuing to work on the Standalone application for people who browse Steam exclusively through the client.

The problem is that Enhanced Steam isn't making any money. In fact, for most of it's existence it's cost me hosting fees that I've paid out of pocket in combination with funds generously donated by users via Patreon.

But more important than money, my time is the scarce resource and the reason I've dropped support for Firefox and the Standalone application. I work a full time job now, am married, and have two teenagers at home - one that's going to be starting college in the fall. I'm having health-related issues. I also like to spend my downtime gaming, like most of the rest of you. Version 7.6 of Enhanced Steam took about 30-35 hours to create, in total, over the course of a few weeks. This version was a little different in that it had components of a web-based survey that also had to be constructed.

I estimate that a Firefox version of the same features would take probably 15-20 hours to fully implement and troubleshoot, assuming of course that the code base were already up-to-date with Enhanced Steam 7.5.2, which isn't the case. If I had to give a professional job estimate on implementing all of Enhanced Steam's changes from 7.3 through 7.6 into Firefox and testing it would probably be around 75 hours. For the Standalone I'd say easily 150+ hours, possibly more.

It sucks because I would honestly love to see an updated version of Enhanced Steam for Firefox probably just as much as the people using it. But I simply don't have the time it would require to dedicate to the project, while still having enough time to fulfill all of my other day-to-day duties.

Sometimes I wish I could be like those people on Reddit that you read about who are like "This Youtube celebrity raised enough money to quit their job and do Let's Play videos full time!" but given the fact that people donate barely $150 a month (every penny of which goes towards server expenses) I'm ever going to make enough money to survive from it exclusively.

Come on BST thread.

im with ya, brother.

I don't buy games day one but at $20 I'll get MGSV if only to avoid having the game spoiled for me before the year is out.

Jshack, just do your own thing. Unless ES is completely on fire (and you'll know it because one of us nice Steamgaf folk will politely let you know!) don't bother with what the web thinks of your work. Just know that for every terribly vocal vitriolic comment you get, there are thousands of silent folks who use your app every day and enjoy it and couldn't imagine using steam without it

Caerith

Sometimes I wish I could be like those people on Reddit that you read about who are like "This Youtube celebrity raised enough money to quit their job and do Let's Play videos full time!" but given the fact that people donate barely $150 a month (every penny of which goes towards server expenses) I'm ever going to make enough money to survive from it exclusively.

You could always do Let's Code videos.

donny2112

What's the problem?
Unless you game on a Linux or Mac box, genuine Win7 and Win8 keys give free upgrades to win 10.

Questions:
1) Does the free upgrade to Windows 10 automatically make my PC DirectX12 compliant?
2) Since my GPU is not DX12, does that mean it can't use my GPU?

Would've liked to have a no-fuss play of the next Tomb Raider as my PC should be powerful enough. It's not going to compete with anyone's here, but I could play the original TR2013 with TressFX well enough. Would've thought there'd be some way to then play the sequel on the same rig even if it meant turning down everything. To me, it seems like an excuse to push people to the higher Windows version like the Halo 2 Windows 7 requirement (i.e. a fake requirement). Thought I saw that there'd be a 360 version of this in the other thread. That, for sure, should be able to run on my PC without requiring me to buy in to the next Windows version before I'm comfortable with it. Purposefully avoided Windows 8 and would prefer to wait to see if Windows 10 is in the same boat or not.

didamangi

No way anyone will sell MGSV at 20$. Should be easy to get it for around 30$ tho!

Probably will be around $25 realistically looking at past nvidia steam codes. Steamgifts traders usually accept csgo/tf2 keys so that can bring it down a little bit more. Judging by Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain should be at least a sound buy at that price PC port wise. Hopefully, maybe, please.

Jawmuncher

Nicely done.

Tribes-Ascend3_zpsaa503aee.gif

As done with KI, I will grab Gears Ultimate PC as soon as it's available and at a reasonable price. Steam or not, I'm willing to make a concession in these cases because I want to ensure that MS continues to push Xbox One games to their Windows 10 store (or Steam, preferably). And Gears Ultimate MP will probably be my next Payday 2. I have no doubt my playtime, if it were tracked on Steam, will place in the upper tier of games.

Cool so there's at least 3 of us. Can't say I would go for Seriously again. Once was enough.

MUnited83

For you.
Probably will be around $25 realistically looking at past nvidia steam codes. Steamgifts traders usually accept csgo/tf2 keys so that can bring it down a little bit more. Judging by Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain should be at least a sound buy at that price PC port wise. Hopefully, maybe, please.
I'd say 30$ around release date then 1 week or two later it will drop to 25$

So we just have to hope for MGSV to be horribly, horribly broken.

well, we can always hope that a bunch of console peasants break and sell their codes so they can pick up the game a couple of weeks early or something...

everyone shuttup and let me live in my own little fantasy world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom