• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Getting set-up to delve into a variety of horror Half-Life 1 mods, I'll tell of any particularly great/terrible ones here later.

Pachimari

Microsoft, by way of owning Lionhead, owns the B&W games, not EA. Ditto for The Movies, which was on Steam until Acti's publishing contract expired.

Woah, never knew The Movies were on Steam. I have it on disc, but it is at my parents place. Would love a Steam key though, probably super rare and expensive.

zkylon

zkylewd
Anyone back the KS project Project Phoenix?

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...apans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/posts/1266538

There's a backers-only update that I think is "wahhhhh development is hard expect delays we have no idea what we're doing ???? even though our game was supposed to release 4 months ago we haven't actually made anything yet ???? halp how you do this!!!! lol refunds no???" type stuff. Can I get confirmation on the contents? Either summarizing or posting screenshots, would be ideal.
yeah, been saying this for a while, project phoenix has been handled in an insultingly casual and amateuristic way

like, i'm very much someone that loves kickstarter and would be 100% ok if a project fails to happen because of mistakes, overbudgeting, design issues, etc. when broken age was split into 2 i was like fine, whatever's good for you guys. i didn't mind knock-knock going silent for months even if it meant the project was dead because that's how ice-pick lodge is. or massive chalice or dead state being released and not quite being as great as i hoped they would (well, dead state is pretty great anyways)

but project phoenix is like a very strange thing

like, you may not get emails for weeks and weeks and suddenly the big director announces he's doign an anime, or he's having a kid (i was happy for him and everything btw), or traveling somewhere or whatever. early on there was a lot of cool info about mechanics and world building but that stopped entirely with time and now most updates are about how there haven't been any updates. and it wouldn't be so annoying if you didn't receive mr director's personal life as updates instead of something meaningful. it feels like he's the only one working on it. in the latest update they mention they lost their lead programmer, but turns out that was their only programmer (for a game with that scope having a single programmer sounds insane to me) so production has kind of stopped completely? don't you have any writers or artists or designers that can show anything?

it's really unfortunate, japanese kickstarters for me have been pretty lame. first this mess, i don't feel great about shenmue and while iga's video was fucking amazing i still don't like the whole investors thing. dunno about mighty number 9, i guess that's just not my kind of game, but that might be great

really disappointing, the cute art, having nobuo uematsu, being a jsrpg thing, all of it sounded fantastic to me :I

So in Cradle the main "adventure-game" parts should be interesting given the environment, but the actual interface of interacting with the world is incredibly clunky; it's nearly impossible to put things back where you found them once you picked them up, sometimes the things your looking for are literally buried in clutter, sometimes the game physics simply "eats" items (I had a case where you do the usual "use thing X on thing Y", and the resultant Thing Z glitched through the table and dissapeared), and the game can be strangely specific. For example, you may quickly realize you need a stick to do X. There are sticks everywhere. But you can't pick any of them up; the game wants you to find the one *specific* stick that's been marked as pick-uppable even though it really isn't any different. Or in basically the first puzzle in the game, you are explicitly told you need a pot; you are surrounded by teapots. Only after banging your head against things for a while do you realize that the game doesn't want a teapot at all, it wants an entirely different sort of pot, that's actually hidden in a cupboard.

Also, the block-manipulating mini-game that breaks up the main adventure game narrative is just.. not fun. At all. It's somewhat telling that if you fail it the first time, the developers just go "hey, you want to skip this mini-game stuff?" It's like they realized it wasn't any good, wasn't connected to the narrative *at all*, and just there to pad the game out a bit.

I'm going to keep playing it, because I am legitimately interested in the world, but I actually currently wish the game was just a "walking simulator" instead of the janky adventure game puzzles and pointless block minigames.
ahhh yea i see, that's unfortunate

i really think walking simulators are underrated, lots of cool stuff can be done with a gone home-like style which rewards exploration and doesn't need anything fancier other than good writing and world building

derExperte

More people should play Beatbuddy, only 8% completed level 3 and imo it's great.

Done, unsatisfying ending and two or three unnecessarily hairy parts but overall very enjoyable. What was that other underwater adventure game lots of people here liked? They should try this too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh geez, so many idle/clicker "games" on Steam now. Someone help. D:

i really think walking simulators are underrated, lots of cool stuff can be done with a gone home-like style which rewards exploration and doesn't need anything fancier other than good writing and world building

Any examples of good 'walking simulators'? And how would you define that kind of game?

Cradle looks pretty interesting

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Shadownet, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shadownet, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood #2 -- MB-31ADA830C4912C01 - Taken by chronomac. 25 entrants total.
Legend of Grimrock II -- MB-0EC0E109F632D757 - Taken by Blu(e). 21 entrants total.
The Wolf Among Us -- MB-F44DF61BC7538A67 - Taken by Zero-Crescent. 15 entrants total.
How To Survive Storm Warning Edition -- MB-1A5824186738ADBA - Taken by Sarcasm. 5 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood -- MB-825594ADE2692AB3 - Taken by Intel. 29 entrants total.

t1437977420z1.png

Wok

Cradle, I really, really wanted to love you. The world building is legitimately interesting. Parts of the environment are really beautiful as well.

But man, playing the game itself is just... not very much fun.

Yeah, the gameplay is like Anna's in which you have to look for a rock in the garden, then combine it with a lighter and a rope, and figure out a MacGyver.

So in Cradle the main "adventure-game" parts should be interesting given the environment, but the actual interface of interacting with the world is incredibly clunky; it's nearly impossible to put things back where you found them once you picked them up, sometimes the things your looking for are literally buried in clutter, sometimes the game physics simply "eats" items (I had a case where you do the usual "use thing X on thing Y", and the resultant Thing Z glitched through the table and dissapeared), and the game can be strangely specific. For example, you may quickly realize you need a stick to do X. There are sticks everywhere. But you can't pick any of them up; the game wants you to find the one *specific* stick that's been marked as pick-uppable even though it really isn't any different. Or in basically the first puzzle in the game, you are explicitly told you need a pot; you are surrounded by teapots. Only after banging your head against things for a while do you realize that the game doesn't want a teapot at all, it wants an entirely different sort of pot, that's actually hidden in a cupboard.

Also, the block-manipulating mini-game that breaks up the main adventure game narrative is just.. not fun. At all. It's somewhat telling that if you fail it the first time, the developers just go "hey, you want to skip this mini-game stuff?" It's like they realized it wasn't any good, wasn't connected to the narrative *at all*, and just there to pad the game out a bit.

I'm going to keep playing it, because I am legitimately interested in the world, but I actually currently wish the game was just a "walking simulator" instead of the janky adventure game puzzles and pointless block minigames.

Exactly!

zkylon

zkylewd
Any examples of good 'walking simulators'? And how would you define that kind of game?

Cradle looks pretty interesting
gone home and the stanley parable are the ones i can think of to recommend right now

i very much didn't like dear esther's overwrought writing and all of that, but it's pretty to look at i guess

i guess the blendo games like 30 flights of loving and gravity bone might count too, tho those are less "leisurely" and more like short interactive experiences

Deques

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deques, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sweezy -- MB-6186053F6971FC51 - Taken by Teppic. 4 entrants total.

t1437935539z1.png
Found a spare

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sometimes you just gotta laugh...

Classic case of "something changed, this must have caused it". Luckily a lot of people pointed out that Steam was down when this was posted and the guy finally realized all was well.

Kyougar

Black and White article on Eurogamer. I quite liked this game as a kid, though I always had difficulty getting it to run.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-26-black-and-white-combined-the-sublime-with-the-stupid

I wish this was on Steam.

QNBcyts.jpg

So two weapon loadouts, double-jump, but no strafe jumping, and no ranked matches.

Are there forced ADS mechanics?

I very much liked it as a kid. But the unskippable tutorial was kinda shit and the game itself was too short. And even then there was a level where you had to play without your pet.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Fallout tactics worth buying on steam sale? I know it's non-canon compared to the rest of the world but I'm wondering if it's fun at all.

Deitus

Happy Birthday Shadownet!

Classic case of "something changed, this must have caused it". Luckily a lot of people pointed out that Steam was down when this was posted and the guy finally realized all was well.

Some people will just never understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Edit: Though in this case, I suppose it's actually coincidence.

Black and White article on Eurogamer. I quite liked this game as a kid, though I always had difficulty getting it to run.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-26-black-and-white-combined-the-sublime-with-the-stupid

I wish this was on Steam.

QNBcyts.jpg

So two weapon loadouts, double-jump, but no strafe jumping, and no ranked matches.

Are there forced ADS mechanics?
Black & White is a game that makes you think it's good by forever suggesting that the good stuff is just out of your reach. Like most modern Molyneux games, it has interesting ideas but is terrible at realising them; the creature stuff is, of course, at the forefront of the game's failures and successes. I really like the creature designs in both 1 and 2, though.

....deeeaatthh....

Annubis

Who invented the calendar? I need to blame him because that thing he made called "Tuesdays" kills my Steam profile every time.
Fix that shit yo calendar guy!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yo keep this coming, super fascinated to hear about your impressions as you play through.

I've now advanced to the rooms that give you 10 orbs. I still haven't used a guide yet. Every time I get stuck, I quit out for a while. When I come back, I eventually figure it out. I love how some puzzles seem easy at first, but turn out to be quite devious to get. The other way around happens as well: sometimes the solution is more straightforward than I first thought. Overall these are some of the best puzzles I've seen in a while.

When the gravity mechanic was introduced, I thought things would get harder, but some of them were actually easier than the 'normal' puzzles before them. But I liked the gravity addition to mix it up.

Have to say that I'm more than impressed by this game, it's one of the best puzzle games I've played. Here's exactly where I'm at right now

zkylon

zkylewd
Fallout tactics worth buying on steam sale? I know it's non-canon compared to the rest of the world but I'm wondering if it's fun at all.
i had to stop playing it cos my phobias don't go so well with the giant roaches in it but i liked it a lot, actually

it's more like commandos (or something) than regular fallout, but it looks great and it's just fun to like slowly gain ground and clear rooms and set up everyone and all that, at least it was back in the day. the story isn't too connected to anything and it's mostly there for backgroud dressing, at least as far as i got (got to the giant roach boss and i was like F THIS SHIT)

Soulflarz

Banned
you can't just say this out of the blue without linking to anything :eek:

No as in 'for the love of God bring it to steam before I become sad'

;-;

Trust me, if it WAS on *Steam*, typing is hard , my message would have been in all caps, and with spazzing >.>
I own the LE

Oh hey Soulflarz! wassup?

I hope you enjoy it here.

TTYD! I refuse to touch my new PC for gaming quite yet because I'm not bringing my consoles to college so I'm playing games I missed.

Dsyndrome

i had to stop playing it cos my phobias don't go so well with the giant roaches in it but i liked it a lot, actually

it's more like commandos (or something) than regular fallout, but it looks great and it's just fun to like slowly gain ground and clear rooms and set up everyone and all that, at least it was back in the day. the story isn't too connected to anything and it's mostly there for backgroud dressing, at least as far as i got (got to the giant roach boss and i was like F THIS SHIT)
I figured you would love killing the fuck out of rad roaches with a plasma rifle.
No as in 'for the love of God bring it to steam before I become sad'

;-;

Trust me, if it WAS on PC, my message would have been in all caps, and with spazzing >.>
It is on PC, just not on Steam. Can get it from Jast.

Maniac

Banned

I really want to get excited, but I just can't get excited about... Anything Valve-related anymore. I mean, I fucking love CSGO and Dota 2, and basically everything that comes before, but it's been ages since any kind of Valve announcement didn't... Just fizzle out and turn out to be yet more shitty crowd-sourced hoodie prints.
Neither was mine. But geez, I've got three idlers in my Steam library now. That's three too many! D:

Tap Tap Infinity, Clicker Heroes & AdVenture Capitalist?

If so, welcome to the true master race ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

zkylon

zkylewd
I figured you would love killing the fuck out of rad roaches with a plasma rifle.
nope, i just rather they weren't there :p

i hope my phobias don't get any worse and i never get to the point i start also being incapable of dealing with fallout 2's skeletons and ants

i would be very sad if that happened

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've now advanced to the rooms that give you 10 orbs. I still haven't used a guide yet. Every time I get stuck, I quit out for a while. When I come back, I eventually figure it out. I love how some puzzles seem easy at first, but turn out to be quite devious to get. The other way around happens as well: sometimes the solution is more straightforward than I first thought. Overall these are some of the best puzzles I've seen in a while.

When the gravity mechanic was introduced, I thought things would get harder, but some of them were actually easier than the 'normal' puzzles before them. But I liked the gravity addition to mix it up.

Have to say that I'm more than impressed by this game, it's one of the best puzzle games I've played. Here's exactly where I'm at right now

That's the first and only puzzle I ended up using a guide on. Once I figured it out I smacked myself in the head because I really should have been able to get it on my own, but I tried, took a break, tried, took a break, then tried again and just had to look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom