• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Hmmm... I wonder how much the Type-0 DOTA2 items would go for. Seriously tempted to get this with card credit just to offset the costs with the proceeds from those items/trading cards (not to mention that I really want to play this one).

Don't gamble on this if you aren't sure you actually want this game soon. As far as I can remember I got maybe 5-6% of my money back from the New Order items. It's nice if you want a game, but not worth it just for that, you'd be better waiting for discount.

Man, Wash_Doge is really, really fucking painful.

all is well in this world

Nzyme32

Hmmm... I wonder how much the Type-0 DOTA2 items would go for. Seriously tempted to get this with card credit just to offset the costs with the proceeds from those items/trading cards (not to mention that I really want to play this one).

The courier look pretty damn cool actually

1438091322-final-fantasy-type-0-hd-chocobo-dota-2_1.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
I don't remember cards or items being revoked before even once, except got gemocalypse.
Do you know something we don't, that you are so sure?
... It's pretty damn obvious. It has happened before. But hey, try it for yourself if you want to. Would be a pretty useless waste of time but feel free to try to prove me wrong lol

Arthea

... It's pretty damn obvious. It has happened before. But hey, try it for yourself if you want to. Would be a pretty useless waste of time but feel free to try to prove me wrong lol

I bought the game to play, I just wanted to know based on what you are so sure, because as far as I know, all who got cards at the start of refunds implemented, kept them.

I wish people bought and pre-ordered games with the intention of playing them.

Crazy demands, I know.

I look at it this way. With all the ancillary benefits of buying a game these days (trading cards, promotional items, booster packs), I look at my library less as a backlog and more as an avenue to subsidize my future game purchases.

I'd say I spend anywhere from $75-100 in bundles every six months (if not a bit more than that), and I can get half of that cost back through trading cards and promo items. I just checked into TF2 for the first time in a long while several weeks ago and had a bunch of items that I sold for $7. I've also been able to fund all my Steam sale purchases (barring last year, where I spent $50 over my limit) with the money obtained through selling cards.

It's as much a long-term investment as it is me wanting to collect and play games. Admittedly, I'm just as interested in the supposed "exclusive" Type-0 loading screen pre-purchase bonus as I am in the items.

I think it they might go around $10~15 for courier. Wards usually don't get very high, but it might go around $6~10. Those are just rough estimates, and if it get saturated (doubt it) it will go below that. Still, they are going to be low quantity, since I doubt many people will preorder a game that has a mixed reception.

Grief.exe

Killing Floor 2 is probably the worst game when it comes to having a learning curve / getting good

you just join matches full of high level people knowing what they're doing and fuck up

I know some stuff cause I played 1 back then but yeah, it just hurts the appeal really

i'll keep at it later

Monitor what difficulty you are joining in on.

I hate when new players join hard, or higher difficulty, servers and then proceed to consistently display their ignorance.

Join normal or easy servers until you level up.

One of the problems with Killing Floor's design is new players actually hurt the entire server just by being there. Not only do they lack experience, but enemies gain health and damage by their presence, yet they have low damage values due to their low level.

I think it they might go around $10~15 for courier. Wards usually don't get very high, but it might go around $6~10. Those are just rough estimates, and if it get saturated (doubt it) it will go below that. Still, they are going to be low quantity, since I doubt many people will preorder a game that has a mixed reception.

Yeah, that's what I was guessing. Being able to subsidize 33-50% of the purchase price would put in the sweet spot for me. I'm thinking I'll sell off some inventory and pick it up over the weekend.

Grief.exe

Yeah, that's what I was guessing. Being able to subsidize 33-50% of the purchase price would put in the sweet spot for me. I'm thinking I'll sell off some inventory and pick it up over the weekend.

I think you guys are delusional, purely citing other games that have launched with pre-orders items.

Carry on though.

MUnited83

For you.
I bought the game to play, I just wanted to know based on what you are so sure, because as far as I know, all who got cards at the start of refunds implemented, kept them.
Cards are not preorder incentives. There . cards are also tradable and marketable the moment they pop up, the Dota 2 items are not. Valve letting something like that slip is less likely than Half Life 3 being announced this year.

Arthea

That's interesting point of view.... considering FF0 is second on the top seller list right now.

I actually think it'll sell good, better than FF13-2 at least, unless port is really bad.

Cards are not preorder incentives. There . cards are also tradable and marketable the moment they pop up, the Dota 2 items are not. Valve letting something like that slip is less likely than Half Life 3 being announced this year.

we'll see, because there will be people to try that, there are always, as with cards last time.

I think you guys are delusional, purely citing other games that have launched with pre-orders items.

I don't see a problem with it, especially for a franchise that notably doesn't go on sale too often. The price is fair, it's something I want to play, and I know I can get some money back if I sell the items (because I have no intention of ever playing DOTA 2). I have no problem waiting a couple months to sell the items if need be.

It's a win-win for me.

Carry on though.

Without checking the wiki or anything, I can only remember Thief having pre-order items for dota 2. This was when dota wasn't over 500k players playing at the same time.

This is Final Fantasy, with high quality items. I believe the courier will have a "high" price. At least over the average for couriers.
happy.gif

Caerith

I hate when new players join hard, or higher difficulty, servers and then proceed to consistently display their ignorance.

One of the problems with Killing Floor's design is new players actually hurt the entire server just by being there. Not only do they lack experience, but enemies gain health and damage by their presence, yet they have low damage values due to their low level.

I haven't played KF2, but I made this mistake when I tried out KFC (Killing Floor Classic) during a free weekend. I-- and apparently everyone else on my server-- had no idea that you leveled up and just assumed it was more like CS.

derExperte

Much worse are dipshits that for some reason grind levels as fast as possible without learning how to play. I have no problem with trying to keep beginners alive (unless they think they can handle Suicidal or HoE and then blame the game or team) but those are annoying as fuck. No, level 25 doesn't help if you aggro every Scrake at once.

I look at it this way. With all the ancillary benefits of buying a game these days (trading cards, promotional items, booster packs), I look at my library less as a backlog and more as an avenue to subsidize my future game purchases.

I'd say I spend anywhere from $75-100 in bundles every six months (if not a bit more than that), and I can get half of that cost back through trading cards and promo items. I just checked into TF2 for the first time in a long while several weeks ago and had a bunch of items that I sold for $7. I've also been able to fund all my Steam sale purchases (barring last year, where I spent $50 over my limit) with the money obtained through selling cards.

It's as much a long-term investment as it is me wanting to collect and play games. Admittedly, I'm just as interested in the supposed "exclusive" Type-0 loading screen pre-purchase bonus as I am in the items.
I completely understand what you mean by that and I see where you are coming from. Just these thoughts of "Getting the game and refunding it after I get my courier seem a little scummy is all" ._. Not you specifically.

ThisIsNeoGAF.gif

Yeah yeah lol.

Shadownet

Banned
Hey GAF let me ask you a quick question. A friend of mine and I are talking about movies.
I know he didn't like the movie Gravity. He said that it suck. So we got into a debate about how the movie doesn't suck because you didn't like it. You didn't like the movie and/or didn't understand it. That's understandable, but it doesn't mean it's a bad movie.

He was like, well this is America and I can say or think whatever I want. I told him he was right, but it doesn't mean everything everyone says it right.

I told him I didn't like Jurassic Park that much. But I didn't think it was a bad movie, it's just a movie I didn't particularly enjoyed. I would be wrong to say it was a bad movie seeing how the amount of people who liked that movie clearly outweigh me and the rest of the minority.

I think he's having a hard time wrapping his head around the concept that if you don't like a particular movie, it doesn't actually mean it's bad. Unless it's like The Last Airbender or Apollo 18. Then yeah those were bad. Oh and he said that people don't always enjoy bad movies because either A) it has a redeeming quality or B) nostalgia.

I incline to disagree with that. I told him to give me a name of a bad or mediocre movie that he like, that didn't have a redeeming quality or nostalgia involved.

rtcn63

Explain to him the difference between subjectivity and objectivity. And then after tell him he's a punk ass bitch and your word is god.

Shadownet

Banned
Explain to him the difference between subjectivity and objectivity. And then after tell him he's a punk ass bitch and your word is god.
Lol

What is the question?

Damn you got me. Am I wrong or is he right?

So... he behaves like most of the internet and some regulars here in SteamGAF?
Well he's the same guy that bought every DC Convergence titles (comic books) when it came out and wasted his money cause most of it wasn't anything good. Even though I warned him that he probably should save his money and buy the paperback down the line when it's going to be much cheaper.
It's kinda crazy that we're both college students yet he doesnt fully understand sometimes the need to be smarter with your money and choices.
I don't particularly understand why anyone would take issue with someone else saying Movie or Game X is bad, even if it was a popular movie or game.

Unless he was acting like it was a bad movie and acting like it was widely regarded as a bad movie, I guess.
He was acting like that. We talked about Gravity before and he brushed it aside like it was a bad movie not worth mentioning. I'm just like... w8t mate?

Corpekata

Banned
I don't particularly understand why anyone would take issue with someone else saying Movie or Game X is bad, even if it was a popular movie or game.

Unless he was saying it was a bad movie and acting like it was widely regarded as a bad movie, I guess, when it had popular or critical consensus against that.

Uzzy

tbh I thought that, through gameplay and general mechanics, the game conveyed its core ideas better than other titles that pride themselves on their storytelling. You're constantly experiencing what the game is about with the clones and swapping through them, then you're confronted with that in the end. Ultimately
you can treat your body as just another clone and switch places... which was my impulsive choice. No way I'm staying on that rock. I didn't quite get how The Scavenger worked though: she swapped with Chalmers and Bennett, but they all ended up together somehow.

It's masterful how the story and core mechanic come together near the end. I think this game succeeded way better at this than Braid for example.

Yeah, The Swapper's a great example of story and gameplay integration. You spend the game doing what you have to in order to survive through using your one resource, your clones, and as you progress you learn in drips and drabs what that's doing to 'you'. If there is even a 'you' anymore.

As for the endings
my A-Level Philosophy leads me to believe that it's continuity of memory that ensures continuity of self, but the Swapper device is stated to fuck with your memory too, so I've no idea what 'you' are in the game. Just a hunk of flesh with some limited consciousness within, driven only to survive? Or is the physical form important for continuity of self, in which case you're more of the Scavenger than whatever got put into the Head Watcher. Personally, I went for the former theory, and swapped at the end. Though I found the stay ending to be wonderfully tragic, especially with the Watchers discussing what death meant, as you fall to your end, the light slowly fading away, with that haunting music playing.

I loved how the game made me think about these things. Any game that gets my philosophical brain flowing is fantastic.

Caerith

Hey GAF let me ask you a quick question. A friend of mine and I are talking about movies.

Well, you're mistaken to say Jurassic Park isn't a bad movie because a lot of people like it. I mean, it isn't a bad movie, but the "because lots of people like it" part is a fallacy.

The main problem is your friend has a limited critical vocabulary, and uses "it sucks" instead of "I don't like it."

Shadownet

Banned
Well, you're mistaken to say Jurassic Park isn't a bad movie because a lot of people like it. I mean, it isn't a bad movie, but the "because lots of people like it" part is a fallacy.

The main problem is your friend has a limited critical vocabulary, and uses "it sucks" instead of "I don't like it."

You're right. Jurassic Park isn't a bad movie because it won over 20 awards. Thanks, I should remember that.
Also I realize this post could be read as pure hateful sarcasm so I just want to let you know that its not.

I'm just counting down to the minutes Jaw kills me for not liking Jurassic Park. Though if its any consolation, I did enjoyed Jurassic World more, a lot more.
-------

All is well with the world.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Freedom Planet -- MB-D4875FBB17825D8E - Taken by madjoki. 4 entrants total.
Stanley Parable -- MB-998BCA55D1DEC81D - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 5 entrants total.

t1438123711z1.png

More coming.

ModBot said:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Fairy Bloom Freesia -- MB-87D2F3DC12A9F914 - Taken by titch
FEZ -- MB-8437E47BA3BEE1E2 - Taken by Nyteshade517
Guacamelee -- MB-E1DCAF05E30B3118 - Taken by ExoSoul
Beatbuddy -- MB-D3A010C423C24DC9 - Taken by fertygo

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

There came an Echo -- MB-2C840B8B7E7EB40D - Taken by Spirited. 3 entrants total.

t1438133910z1.png

I am actually not sure about the There came an Echo Key. I thought I have given it away, but according to the Humble Page I havent revealed the Steamcode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom