• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
dGqHaON.jpg

Fran Bow

Shadownet

Banned
Am I the only one who think that Windows 10 might just be Skynet in disguise? I mean, giving away an operating system for free is way too good to be true.

We're all doom on July 29th.
-------
Also.. Wtf.. I thought that was JaseC!! Imposter! Or is it..?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Am I the only one who think that Windows 10 might just be Skynet in disguise? I mean, giving away an operating system for free is way too good to be true.

We're all doom on July 29th.

Apple's been doing this for years. Also Linux has been free for decades. Microsoft's just trying to stay relevant.

Shadownet

Banned
Apple's been doing this for years. Also Linux has been free for decades. Microsoft's just trying to stay relevant.
But its Apple, we can trust them right?

Between this and Windows 10 launching. The bandwith being used worldwide. Jesus.

Also, should I clean install Windows 10 or not? Is there any benefit to doing so? Clean install is a bit of a hassle cause I'll lose all my Steam games right? Having to back up all the games is kind of a chore.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Christ Im missing all the Freedom Planet giveaways.
LLShC.gif

I'm sure you'll get the chance to enter one eventually.

ModBot said:
Instructions for KenOD:
Stop trying to set me up with your Roomba.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KenOD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Freedom Planet -- MB-EE8F237DDA554A7C - Taken by Snakethesniper. 9 entrants total.

t1438135350z1.png

I'm already strained enough by Stephen Harper's stupid decisions, thank you very much.

Grief.exe

Just got my new keyboard in with green switches. Coming from browns, it's quite the difference, but very satisfying from both a tactile and sound perspective.

My original DAS was still working fine, but I just couldn't deal with the glossy finish being constantly dirty. There was just no way to make the board aesthetically pleasing.

But its Apple, we can trust them right?

Between this and Windows 10 launching. The bandwith being used worldwide. Jesus.

Also, should I clean install Windows 10 or not? Is there any benefit to doing so? Clean install is a bit of a hassle cause I'll lose all my Steam games right? Having to back up all the games is kind of a chore.

In one of the recent Windows 10 threads, a Microsoft employee came in and said the operating system was designed from the ground up to cleanly install from an upgrade rather than a clean install. It defies conventional wisdom, but, for what it's worth, he said he had merely upgraded from 8.1 and didn't experience any issues attributed to his install path.

Shadownet

Banned
In one of the recent Windows 10 threads, a Microsoft employee came in and said the operating system was designed from the ground up to cleanly install from an upgrade rather than a clean install. It defies conventional wisdom, but, for what it's worth, he said he had merely upgraded from 8.1 and didn't experience any issues attributed to his install path.

You're alive Grief! I did a quick research, apparently I can clean install anytime I want after upgrading to Windows 10. So if I run into any trouble, it's still an option.

Also, funny enough. While i was typing that on my phone and installing an update on my PC thinking it was just a small virus definition update. It was actually Windows 10 final build. I'm passed the point of no return.

Grief.exe

You're alive Grief! I did a quick research, apparently I can clean install anytime I want after upgrading to Windows 10. So if I run into any trouble, it's still an option.

Also, funny enough. While i was typing that on my phone and installing an update on my PC thinking it was just a small virus definition update. It was actually Windows 10 final build. I'm passed the point of no return.

There is actually a way to create an bootable iso from the upgrade files downloaded to your PC as well. So you can always do a clean install off the bat if you choose.

Did I die or something?

Where do I check the mods I have installed using the Workshop?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Pandas/myworkshopfiles/

New update to Steam Android app:

Friends with recent chats sorted by most recent chat first
Longer delay before going offline in chat when idle
Improvements for scrolling friends and chats
Added attempts to register for push notifications
Fixed: Sign out includes immediate log off from chat
Fixed: Crash on some devices running Android 4.2
Fixed: Some recent chat messages from other devices were not shown
Fixed: Sound for notifications inside and outside of the app is the same
Fixed: Some devices could not change ringtone

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.valvesoftware.android.steam.community&hl=en

derExperte

Just got my new keyboard in with green switches. Coming from browns, it's quite the difference, but very satisfying from both a tactile and sound perspective.

Green? How unusual, I googled and they apparently need much more force to press than the others. I would never use them because of the noise alone but please report back after a few weeks with impressions.

Grief.exe

Green? How unusual, I googled and they apparently need much more force to press than the others. I would never use them because of the noise but please report back after a few weeks with impressions.

They are essentially the same design as Blue switches, which I personally love the feel of, but with significantly more force to actuate.

Took me a minute to get used to, but I'm really enjoying the feel of typing on these.

Haven't tested them out in game yet, will remain to be seen whether they will effect anything.

Grief.exe

Condemned's PC port is actually amazing. Excellent job Sega, especially in a time where that would not have been common.

Q3FZsXT.png

A shame we never got the sequel on PC...or Skies of Arcadia, or Shenmue, or JSRF, or Otogi, or Vanquish, or Baynetta, you get the point.

Sober

I actually didn't know Ashly Burch did the voice for Chloe in Life is Strange. Then again my only real exposure to her was HAWP, so maybe I've just been fooled the entire time.

Also Watch_dogs is on sale again and I feel like I'm tempted to buy it and might even enjoy it. I hate myself.

Condemned's PC port is actually amazing. Excellent job Sega, especially in a time where that would not have been common.
Monolith is a fairly decent sized PC-focused studio so thank god for that. But more the exception rather than the rule back in the day.

rtcn63

I actually didn't know Ashly Burch did the voice for Chloe in Life is Strange. Then again my only real exposure to her was HAWP, so maybe I've just been fooled the entire time.

She's also Tiny Tina from Borderlands IIRC, among a lot of other things. Her voices has always reminded me that of Lori Petty's.

Also Watch_dogs is on sale again and I feel like I'm tempted to buy it and might even enjoy it. I hate myself.

Monolith is a fairly decent sized PC-focused studio so thank god for that. But more the exception rather than the rule back in the day.

What's HAWP?

Turfster

He didn't have a 5+ year old 7 install full of crud and cruft from shitty programs and drivers long gone.

Grief.exe

Permanent fix to the DS4 situation on Windows 10

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173290890&postcount=329

Havel just brought this to my attention, but there may be a permanent fix by disabling the DHCP protocol. The problem is you need to enable a static IP as this will temporarily disable your internet.

Mine started working after HOURS of tweaking iagommc11's suggestion. I disabled all "system services", turned them off/on one-by-one to see which among these services were the problems. It was the "DHCP Client" which was causing the "exclusivity" issue with InputMapper. I do not know why. BUT BUT BUT, once you turn this off, you will not have internet access (not easily, anyway).

DHCP is the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol: it enables a server (usually a network router) to assign an IP address to a computer to allow it to connect to its network. Without it, you have to use static IP addresses to gain network access.

If you are going to disable the DHCP Client service, please do so at your own risk. Anyway, to disable the DHCP Client service:
go to the Start Menu or the command prompt and type "msconfig"
go to the "services" tab
uncheck "DHCP Client"
restart your computer
You will lose DHCP access (and dynamic IP addressing, thus probably your internet connection too) after this so just enable it again after you're done testing.

It's not the internet access that matters. It's the DHCP Client service. I have already tried disabling all my network connections so that Windows did not have internet access upon loading: InputMapper still had problems with exclusivity.

After disabling the DHCP Client service, I rebooted my computer and tried to set my IP to a static one (I just copied the dynamic IP the router gave me, etc.) and now I am posting using this connection AND my DS4 is now in "Exclusive mode".

Big thanks to iagommc11 for this!

https://inputmapper.com/forum/4/614

Pakkidis

SO god damn frustrated right now. Whenever I get a blue screen of death when playing a game with steam achievements, my achievement progress gets all screwed up :(

Does this happen to anybody else?

Grief.exe

SO god damn frustrated right now. Whenever I get a blue screen of death when playing a game with steam achievements, my achievement progress gets all screwed up :(

Does this happen to anybody else?

Either time for a reformat or it's time to take a good look at your components and find out which one is failing and why.

If the latter is the issue, then it is generally heat related which would mean new thermal paste for the CPU or GPU.

Just going through the easiest troubleshooting steps first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom