• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I actually think Ys 6, as the first 3d Ys, plays really bad compared to Felgana and Origins and also feels really generic.

I think one of the reasons was maybe the upcoming Summer sale. It was releasing right before it and during the sale even though it got 50% off, maybe people wanna wait till its 66% off.

I also think maybe the Neptunia price kinda spoiled us. I mean you could get Neptunia for 15$ at release and the second one is sitting at about 75k for being out for just 2 months. Maybe Ys was just priced too high, compared to Neptunia. Same applies for Akibas Trip. Its sitting at about 18.000 and came out just one day before Neptunia. 27$ vs 15$...

So people want their anime, but they want it cheap.

Shadownet

Banned
Still not as bad as slavery and North Korea defense force.
No way, I need to read these threads. Link if you have one?
Looks like I'll hold off on updating for a bit. Don't wanna risk what I'm currently playing not working.
I updated last night, InputMapper still works for me. The only problem I encountered was for some reason, I was left with no Nvidia driver after the upgrade. It was puzzling why Blacklist ran like 3fps until Geforce Panel told me I had no driver. Downloaded the new driver, everything was peachy then.

And I mean Cortana not working 100% as promised but I expected that.

Chariot

can we already talk about Japanese games sales decline and reasons, or is it too early?
We already had Ys6, we wanted to have on steam sell unexpectedly poorly, it actually is at 16K now too, but I was talking about day one sales.

And I am kinda afraid for Grandia 2, it being an old game and all.

btw: anybody knows how Ys6 sold on other platforms?
Especially the Ys series intimidates me with its numbers of titles. I also have no other idea about the games but fantasy something jrpg. They lack profile for outaiders opposed to Neptunia that makes sure to let everyone know what it is.

Arthea

I actually think Ys 6, as the first 3d Ys, plays really bad compared to Felgana and Origins and also feels really generic.

I think one of the reasons was maybe the upcoming Summer sale. It was releasing right before it and during the sale even though it got 50% off, maybe people wanna wait till its 66% off.

I also think maybe the Neptunia price kinda spoiled us. I mean you could get Neptunia for 15$ at release and the second one is sitting at about 75k for being out for just 2 months. Maybe Ys was just priced too high, compared to Neptunia. Same applies for Akibas Trip. Its sitting at about 18.000 and came out just one day before Neptunia. 27$ vs 15$...

yeah, but WotS4 price with day one discount was comparable to Nep Nep and it still didn't sold that good. As these are older games nobody expects them to sell in tens of thousands, I hope, but all are selling rather badly, including Akiba, which is a relatively new game.

Corpekata

Banned
Grandia 2 will do well, nostalgia, plus no easy way to play it anymore for most people. For a lot of the dwindling sales I think it's just familiarity. Would Grandia Xtreme sell after Grandia 2 and Grandia get ported? Maybe not. But the first few entries from most Japanese pushes at least seem to do well simply for the novelty.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
lBRLBCj.jpg

Enki

can we already talk about Japanese games sales decline and reasons, or is it too early?
We already had Ys6, we wanted to have on steam sell unexpectedly poorly, it actually is at 16K now too, but I was talking about day one sales.

I only know of Ys VI's PS2 sales for Japan's first week during it's launch:

8 Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim, Konami, PlayStation 2, 16,490

I know an expert and will ask them for some detailed information when they're online.

Especially the Ys series intimidates me with its numbers of titles. I also have no other idea about the games but fantasy something jrpg. They lack profile for outaiders opposed to Neptunia that makes sure to let everyone know what it is.
Hi.

We need to have a nice long chat :D

yeah, but WotS4 price with day one discount was comparable to Nep Nep and it still didn't sold that good. As these are older games nobody expects them to sell in tens of thousands, I hope, but all are selling rather badly, including Akiba, which is a relatively new game.

If Steamspy is roughly accurate, WOTS4 selling 16,000 copies in a week (at $20 a pop) isn't too shabby at all. I expect it will do reasonably well in the long run.

It sold 16.000 in about 1 week now. That actually doesnt sound too bad.

Grief.exe

Is there any way to use DS4 on Win10?

I ain't disabling my Internet connection that's for sure.

You just have to set up a static IP from your router, very easy to do.

You don't lose internet connection permanently.

Let me put the Darkness II in that annoying category of FPS that force gamepads prompts on you even if you don't have a gamepad plugged in, and the only solution I've found on the Steam board tells me to disable the driver in device manager.

Such a shame Darkness 1 never made it to PC.

No way, I need to read these threads. Link if you have one?

I updated last night, InputMapper still works for me. The only problem I encountered was for some reason, I was left with no Nvidia driver after the upgrade. It was puzzling why Blacklist ran like 3fps until Geforce Panel told me I had no driver. Downloaded the new driver, everything was peachy then.

And I mean Cortana not working 100% as promised but I expected that.

Input Mapper and DS4Windows have always worked, the problem was Windows 10 is preventing the hide Dinput option.

Grandia 2 will do well, nostalgia, plus no easy way to play it anymore for most people. For a lot of the dwindling sales I think it's just familiarity. Would Grandia Xtreme sell after Grandia 2 and Grandia get ported? Maybe not. But the first few entries from most Japanese pushes at least seem to do well simply for the novelty.

From the thread yesterday, it looks like they are throwing out the initial PC port and porting over the original DC version. This allows for 60 FPS as the initial PC version was apparently locked to 30.

One thing they weren't directly answering was whether the game would run in native 16:9 or locked to 4:3.

Are you playing Condemned for the first time? Stick with it, Condemned's an example of where I think the second half of the game is much stronger than the first half, best parts of the game definitely chapters
, &
. Many good moments in all three of them.

It actually is my first time with Condemned. I believe I'm on chapter 4 and I'm already getting sucked in. I'll look forward to the later chapters getting a bump in quality.

Shantom

I think Ys VI's performance can be blamed on a few things. The main reason is that there's no real reason to make it your first Ys game on Steam -

Ys Origin is regarded by many as the best in the series, is PC exclusive, and chronologically it's the first in the series.

Ys 1&2 are the actual first games in the series, are 2 games in 1 (duh), and Ys 1's iffy reception is tempered by the praise that Ys 2 gets.

Ys: Oath in Felghana is also regarded by many as the best in the series, was the first one to release on Steam, and is cheaper than Origin and Ark.

Then Ark is regarded as a bit worse than Origin and Felghana, is the joint most expensive Falcom game on Steam, is missing content that was in the previous English versions (it's terrible content, but it's still something that could put people off) and was released more than 2 years after the previous games so there was little momentum.

Then there's the actual name of the game. I feel that Felghana would have sold worse if it was called Ys III on Steam. Some people would be put off by Ark because IV and V aren't available, even though the series is standalone apart from Origin/I/II.

As well as all that, you have Ys 7's Steam release seemingly becoming vapourwave, and the newest Ys games (Celceta and 8) seemingly being Sony exclusive, which could have hurt the series on PC.

MUnited83

For you.
To be fair do we even have comparison to the console sales for stuff like Akiba?

Akiba PS4 sold 3600 in it's debut week in Japan.
Akiba PSVita sold 33,476 in it's debut week in Japan
Akiba PS3 sold 20,230 in it's debut week in Japan

Steam version has 18,845 owners. Considering the game is still relatively expensive and a late port, I think those are pretty good numbers and it's bound to overtake or equal console sales with a few discounts down the line.

Besides another thing concerning Ys. Besides Origins Ys Games arent exactly long games. I wouldnt buy an Ys game at a full price and would rather wait for it to drop.

And compared to games like Neptunia, which was cheap during the first week and it even dropped to 9$ during the Wintersale, the Ys games, especially 6, might feel more like indie games or maybe even more low budget than Neptunia.

I really think the price is a big reason though for that and also that japanese games also got a bigger competition. Look when Ys Felgana came out or even Agarest. They were kinda the beginning of more and more japanese games on Steam, but didnt have a big competition. I remember a lot of people even bought Agarest and noticed quite soon, that somehow the battle system is really... barebones and rather boring. They just bought it though to support japanese games on Steam.

Steam version has 18,845 owners. Considering the game is still relatively expensive and a late port, I think those are pretty good numbers and it's bound to overtake or equal console sales with a few discounts down the line.

I am not quite sure how big the "wont buy at 30fps" people are, but at least on GAF some people wouldnt buy it because of it. I will buy it when its about 20$. I still have to start Neptunia 2 and continue Agarest 2 and still have other japanese games in my backlog. Now Type0 is also coming out soon.

Shadownet

Banned
Horror experience about escape? Hmmmm.... nope!
Why "nope?"

NK defense force, in latter half of the thread.

I've seen several gaffers made the "blacks were treated better under slavery" remarks, and there is this gem, sometimes gaf can get really crazy.
Thanks! Going to break out the special popcorn for this... Well I only have Harry Potter's Flavors Beans
Input Mapper and DS4Windows have always worked, the problem was Windows 10 is preventing the hide Dinput option.
I think I know what hide input option is, but re-educate me again?

Grief.exe

It's all relative.

I think I know what hide input option is, but re-educate me again?

I believe it's called exclusive mode in Input Mapper. Windows detects your DS4 as Dinput, then the games detect the controller and usually spit out strange inputs as they aren't compatible. The exclusive mode or hide DS4 hides the Dinput version so the wrapped controller shines through.

Shadownet

Banned
I believe it's called exclusive mode in Input Mapper. Windows detects your DS4 as Dinput, then the games detect the controller and usually spit out strange inputs as they aren't compatible. The exclusive mode or hide DS4 hides the Dinput version so the wrapped controller shines through.
Yeah basically what I thought. I'm glad more games are making it DS4 natively compatible. Like Unity and Far Cry 4, Batman Arkham Knight as well.
Because I can only handle a certain type of horror (Silent Hill 3 or Rule of Roses, to give an idea).
I remember Parasite Eve 2 scared the crap out of me as a kid.

What kind of horror games do you dislike and why?

r3n4ud

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Reach For The Sun -- MB-1C37F5A21608E62C - Taken by NingenJanai
An Imp? A Friend! -- MB-A73B0E4C3727F400 - Taken by MaxiLive
Elements: Soul of Fire -- MB-2341868CFD3D5575 - Taken by gurm3n

DocSeuss

Max Payne 1 and 2 do not work on Windows 10. They launched fine this morning on Windows 7-64. They crash on Win10 and it points to some nvidia dll. Reinstalling both games and nvidia drivers fresh did nothing.

Jawmuncher

You know what screw it, after thinking about it. Unless Episode 5 is just horrible. Life is Strange will probably be my GOTY as well.

The Ship Steamgaf euro night, murricans are welcome too

header.jpg

t1438369200z0.png

1 - NingenJanai
2 - Spirited
3 - Chariot
4 - The Red Wizard
5 - Maniac
I'm in.
The Birthday Train keeps on rolling! CHOO CHOO!!

Let's see how many of you actually bother to read this. This giveaway is in fact not for the infamous Bad Rats but is your chance to win ANY GAME ON STEAM OF YOUR CHOICE UP TO A VALUE OF $10USD (and giftable from the Australian store - sorry Hotline Miami 2 fans). Holy fuckbats!

If you won something from my previous giveaway, scram and let other people have a shot, fatty fat fat fat.
Why not 24 hours?! ;_;
They recently added a tutorial that you can do to get the basics down, I've played dozens of hours and the only way to get really familiar with your ship (you have a Mustang Omega from the looks of it, those are mainly racing ships with light combat) is to just play around with it in free flight or Vanduul Swarm vs. AI.
Yeah, I only played a couple minutes in freeplay. Thought it's gonna be straightforward. But man, I have to learn a lot. Got randomly desaturated or reddish screen and I have no clue why, hah.
Need to play tutorial.

mKgSF7P.png

New client update

fertygo

Another try

ModBot said:
Instructions for fertygo:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fertygo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle -- MB-2CA7FCA2652EAC09 - Taken by Ventara. 4 entrants total.

t1438189172z1.png

Teggy

Max Payne 1 and 2 do not work on Windows 10. They launched fine this morning on Windows 7-64. They crash on Win10 and it points to some nvidia dll. Reinstalling both games and nvidia drivers fresh did nothing.

I believe Max Payne 1 has the same issue as Mafia in that it won't run in fullscreen. I saw that when I was trying to troubleshoot.

DocSeuss

I believe Max Payne 1 has the same issue as Mafia in that it won't run in fullscreen. I saw that when I was trying to troubleshoot.

Interesting. How would you go about making that happen when the game doesn't boot up? Any particular ini or something?

Grief.exe

Interesting. How would you go about making that happen when the game doesn't boot up? Any particular ini or something?

I had all kinds of problems with Max Payne 2 on Windows 8.1 when I played the game recently.

I believe I had the wide-screen mod, exe set to XP compatibility, and all injectors off (Steam overlay, Afterburner, Fraps, etc).

Even then, the game would only properly launch 25% of the time. I would get 2 or 3 crashes before I could get the game to load.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Xeroblade

I am trying to purchase The Swindle from GMG using the voucher 23PERC-ENTOFF-JULY15 and it keeps telling me its invalid. Is anyone else having trouble using the voucher for anything?

Teggy

Try this:

Right-click on either of the Max Payne games in your Steam library, click properties, "Set launch options...". Type in:

-window

Mafia has a separate config app so it doesn't require any special steps.

Lain

I remember Parasite Eve 2 scared the crap out of me as a kid.

What kind of horror games do you dislike and why?

Games like Amnesia. I'm fine with mystery horror or gore horror but stuff that have you constantly watch over your back just feel to tense for me.

Aru

I thought there was a thread for exchanging Steam keys, but I forgot what was its name. Or is it simply the B/S/T thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom