• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn. How did you find that out? I assumed it would be messy with all the different ways to watch

from reddit

Ft7dM0f.png

though I take it they count duplicates? For ex I'm having all 3 channels up lol.

So has Dota2 official overtaken LoL in regards to the whole MOBA genre? Last i read LoL was still very much considered the top dog in that scene

LoL's still on top. Dota has around 11m monthly activer users and 800-900k ccu. It went above 1m in Feb/March, but hasn't touched it since. LoL has monster numbers, but don't know the current one. Years ago it had like 7.5m ccu. As much as Steam itself.

Wok

In terms of generating money, LoL > Dota 2

Not sure about that. TI5's prizepool is 17.5 million dollars, out of which 16 million were given by players like you and me. Since whenever players give money, only 1/4 of the money goes to the prizepool, it is 48 million dollars made by Valve, only with TI5. This is not even counting the money generated by hats, merchandise, and Steam Market for Dota2 hats, the whole rest of the year.

Edit: Okay. "It takes League of Legends about five days to earn that same amount of money [as Dota 2 makes in a month,” said van Dreunen. “Even though earnings have started to plateau around the holiday season, due to the major releases on other platforms, League of Legends still had a monthly run rate of over $123 million in January.”

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/24/d...ague-of-legends-makes-that-much-every-5-days/

MUnited83

For you.
How does that work. Last time I saw happy hour, it seemed like it required to you buy the bundle once

Yes, the person who hosts the group buys has bought it when the bundle launchs so they can get the maximum numbers of extra bundles.(you can still use happy hour even if you didn't buy the bundle though, but you just get one extra bundle instead). When happy hour hits, those people can buy huge ammounts of bundles for a very low price. Hence why most bundles can be fully bought for 1.5$ or less.

zkylon

zkylewd
So has Dota2 official overtaken LoL in regards to the whole MOBA genre? Last i read LoL was still very much considered the top dog in that scene
probably not even close

league worlds finals had like 11m concurrent viewers, hosts weekly tournaments of like 8 different regions and the game still has like 65m active players a month and league is just huge in china and korea

i'm pretty sure league simply can't be overtaken

Not sure about that. TI5's prizepool is 17.5 million dollars, out of which 16 million were given by players like you and me. Since whenever players give money, only 1/4 of the money goes to the prizepool, it is 48 million dollars made by Valve, only with TI5. This is not even counting the money generated by hats, merchandise, and Steam Market for Dota2 hats, the whole rest of the year.
you're crazy, 48m are probably small change for riot lol

edit: just saw ur edit. told u haha. it's crazy ppl keep underestimating league, it has like wow numbers

In terms of generating money, LoL > Dota 2
in terms of money, playerbase and competitive infrastructure (or whatever) it's pretty massively ahead

which is cool cos doto is a more niche game and everything

Ruruja

Finally got Windows 10 done and activated, what a time to be alive.

Also Sakura Clickers looks great, I can't wait to play it.

Megauap

Welp, I just pre-ordered Final Fantasy Type-0 HD on Steam even though I have the PS4 version still sealed.
If the port turns out to be a mess I will refund it and play the PS4 version, so not worried at all.

no.

i'll wait.

I know it's been down to 7.50 at times but I don't buy episodic games until it's all out. I just don't have the memory for that type of stuff to hold for weeks.

as an example, i bought bayonetta 2 yesterday. Now, i love bayonetta 1 and yet I loaded bayo2 and realized that i remembered almost nothing from the first game. Like, i remember something about witches and stuff but i don't even remember what the hell happened at the end or throughout that game.

so yeah, rather play it all together so that i dont feel stupid when i get to the next episode

I used to be like that but now I'll just read a summary on Wikipedia, or somewhere similar, if I feel lost before a new entry.

I got Warlock 2 through a price mistake on Amazon for $5 right at release. Felt good. Never played it. Feels bad.

And I'm starting to understand why only 3% completed Marvelous Miss-Take. Those timed lasers combined with the dogs, man. I'm close to quitting. Performance is shitty too, a well known problem that was never fixed.

Has MMT got better controller support yet?

Nzyme32

Is it not extremely weird that these games are seemingly quiet about release dates but kind of expected to be out this year:

No Man's Sky
The Witness
FireWatch

I'm calling it - they are SteamVR games. Make it happen, they are the only games out side of MGSV that I am looking forward to.

Is it not extremely weird that these games are seemingly quiet about release dates but kind of expected to be out this year:

No Man's Sky
The Witness
FireWatch

I'm calling it - they are SteamVR games. Make it happen, they are the only games out side of MGSV that I am looking forward to.

I've got it in my mind that all three will be released in 2016. That way, if I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Phawx

Yes, the person who hosts the group buys has bought it when the bundle launchs so they can get the maximum numbers of extra bundles.(you can still use happy hour even if you didn't buy the bundle though, but you just get one extra bundle instead). When happy hour hits, those people can buy huge ammounts of bundles for a very low price. Hence why most bundles can be fully bought for 1.5$ or less.

How does one go about getting into these groups?

Nzyme32

I've got it in my mind that all three will be released in 2016. That way, if I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

That too. It's annoying me because I rarely find myself looking forward to games, and then three come along and seemingly go very quiet about when I can get them.

Wok

No Man's Sky
The Witness
FireWatch

Same with games like:

Miegakure
Mushroom11
Kentucky Route Zero Episode ???

dex3108

No Man's Sky
The Witness
FireWatch

The Witness will be out for sure this year. Their blog is active and they are mostly polishing and adding details.

http://the-witness.net/news/

No Man's Sky
The Witness
FireWatch

if they are, i'd expect that they're being modified for Morpheus then given their PSX exclusiveness. I don't think sony would take too well to those games launching with VR support on the PC but no morpheus support in 2016

zkylon

zkylewd
miegakure gets updates every now and then on its newsletter and jonathan blow posts dumb crap about the witness on his twitter account all the time

those people go at their own pace, takes forever but will probably be worth the wait

Nzyme32

if they are, i'd expect that they're being modified for Morpheus then given their PSX exclusiveness. I don't think sony would take too well to those games launching with VR support on the PC but no morpheus support in 2016

I'm certain every SteamVR game would have Morpheus support for the most part

Nzyme32

Gorogoa is also one of these games which is always postponed.

Qasir Al Wasat is also postponed every so often.

Oh wow I definitely need Gorogoa! Qasir Al Wasat also looks like one I should keep an eye on. Definitely my type of games. Have you got any other games you are looking forward to? I get the impression I should be paying attention to those as well at this rate

Sober

So there are few opening missions in Watch_Dogs that are supposed to be tutorials for the online mingleplayer component ... are those actual players or are they just facsimiles? Cause they sure act like real players and do dumb things if that's the case.

Oh wow I definitely need Gorogoa! Qasir Al Wasat also looks like one I should keep an eye on. Definitely my type of games. Have you got any other games you are looking forward to? I get the impression I should be paying attention to those as well at this rate

I know it's directed at Wok but I feel compelled to chime in as well. :p

A few lesser known games I'm looking forward to this year:

Donut County
Samorost 3
Framed - This will be a port of an iOS game from last year that ended up being one of my favorite games of 2014.

Turfster

So there are few opening missions in Watch_Dogs that are supposed to be tutorials for the online mingleplayer component ... are those actual players or are they just facsimiles? Cause they sure act like real players and do dumb things if that's the case.

They're AI.
Shitty AI for shitty minigames.

and those invasions never end up being fun. It's always some dude hanging out on the roof of some building and you never find him so it's just a major waste of your time

Wok

I mostly look forward to The Witness. Plus the games I already mentioned.

Caerith

and those invasions never end up being fun. It's always some dude hanging out on the roof of some building and you never find him so it's just a major waste of your time

I kinda want to load up Dark Souls now to invade someone then promptly turn into a barrel or something and wait for them to die of boredom.

Apparently Magic Origins has just random stuff (obviously most of it is from the newest set Magic Origins) and will eventually get all the cards.

I don't know how much I believe that last part considering MTGO exists but that's what I hear.

Salsa

got these 2 things for free recently

FA3QFtQ.jpg

think I mentioned the laptop before. It's an old HP Pavilion dv5 with an i3 and 4 gigs of RAM. I had to get it "fixed" by cleaning it since a fan was clogged and it wouldnt boot up. runs a bit hot now (between 50-60° idle) but it's otherwise ok. Battery life is shit tho and lasts like 30 minutes without pluggin it.

the macbook pro is an even older 3.11 model that's running like OS X 1.5.8 or something and almost can't run shit unless I install a newer OS from a disk. It has 2 gigs of ram and core2duo I think. Screen is pretty crazy at 1080p 17 inches for a thing that came out in like 2007. Also it doesnt have a battery so I can only run it while plugged in. Thinking of maybe getting a third party batt since it's a legacy model and no way i'll get an original one

anyway. thing being i've been trying Steam on both and it's pretty crazy both how well they can run some games and how well streaming from my PC works. I live in a small house tho so I doubt i'll use that at all, but it's cool to finally check that feature, and OS X Steam too.

now I can play Isaac Rebirth on trips bby. will probably install win 10 on the HP today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom