• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
feels like too soon

How so? Endless Space was originally launched in 2012 and had support slowly slip from it because it was obvious the game needed a gutting before all of its problems could be addressed. Expansions weren't going to solve it, so rebuilding from the ground up as a new entry seems like a perfectly logical next step for the series. Endless Legend has its second expansion coming out in a little while, and Dungeon of the Endless' multi was reworked, so it isn't like they haven't been pouring themselves over their other products in the interim.

Amplitude has only sharped their skills and produced stronger results with each game they've put out, and I happen to prefer modern and space themes over fantasy so having them come back to a Sci Fi 4x makes me very, very happy!

Jawmuncher

RIP Donte

Yes! Original Dante is here to stay.

jimmy-mcnulty2prxi.gif

I want my DmC2 as well. Or at the very least the next DMC should have costume and such of him. not fair to throw in DMC stuff into DmC and not go the other way as well.

Deitus

capcom is like "we finally figured out the key to success, instead of making new games to redo our old games. they'll eat that shit right up"

I really hope that's not the lesson Capcom takes away from this. What they should be seeing is that there are a lot of people who were fans of their older games who want new games to be more like those, rather than the games they have been putting out lately.

But who am I kidding, it's Capcom. Of course they're gonna just crank out the remakes. And of course they will find there are diminishing returns on that business strategy, at which point they will reboot and/or outsource all of their franchises to western developers.

Jawmuncher

I really hope that's not the lesson Capcom takes away from this. What they should be seeing is that there are a lot of people who were fans of their older games who want new games to be more like those, rather than the games they have been putting out lately.

But who am I kidding, it's Capcom. Of course they're gonna just crank out the remakes. And of course they will find there are diminishing returns on that business strategy, at which point they will reboot and/or outsource all of their franchises to western developers.

I dunno I think they might have learned their lesson for that one. Operation Raccoon City sold decent but was panned pretty much universally. No one bought Bionic Command and Lost Planet 3.

DmC was the only game from a western developer to do "good" all around. You know outside the fan negativity.

Thanks mate!

Not too bad, the driving model is pretty sensitive with a controller, easy to do accidently 360's, but once you temper you movements and up the speed it's pretty good.

How so? Endless Space was originally launched in 2012 and had support slowly slip from it because it was obvious the game needed a gutting before all of its problems could be addressed. Expansions weren't going to solve it, so rebuilding from the ground up as a new entry seems like a perfectly logical next step for the series. Endless Legend has its second expansion coming out in a little while, and Dungeon of the Endless' multi was reworked, so it isn't like they haven't been pouring themselves over their other products in the interim.

Amplitude has only sharped their skills and produced stronger results with each game they've put out, and I happen to prefer modern and space themes over fantasy so having them come back to a Sci Fi 4x makes me very, very happy!

Having played it for the first time over the weekend, there is some really interesting stuff. But holy crap is the ship interface terrible. If they can work on usability and maybe add a little more personality, space 2 could be a real winner.

capcom is like "we finally figured out the key to success, instead of making new games to redo our old games. they'll eat that shit right up"

This is a really tired argument.
Aren't we better off for having REmake, a brilliant game that until now was only available on the GC (outside of emulation), on Steam?
Will the world be a worse place for having a classic like RE2 redone with modern tech?
Assuming they don't fuck it up and go the same route as the OG REmake, can you imagine how great those backgrounds will look redrawn from scratch in 2015?

A lot of "remasters" are a waste of time, either because the games were forgettable in the first place or because they're a half-assed effort, but good remasters of classic games? Hell no, we should cherish the fact that they exist, especially on PC where they are forever compatible with future hardware.

Without the remaster we'd still be playing Shadow of the Colossus at 16 fps. I for one am very happy that such a classic now has a version that actually runs like it's supposed to.

If it makes Capcom bring Dragon's Dogma to PC then I couldn't care less if they focus on "Dante" or "Donte". Devil May Cry means nothing to me.

Deitus

I dunno I think they might have learned their lesson for that one. Operation Raccoon City sold decent but was panned pretty much universally. No one bought Bionic Command and Lost Planet 3.

DmC was the only game from a western developer to do "good" all around. You know outside the fan negativity.

You might be right, but I'm never sure if Capcom is actually able to learn their lesson or not. I hope they do.

DmC fell waay short of their projections though. I'm sure it turned a profit, but I doubt anyone from Capcom considers that experiment to be a success.

This is nothing against my deutsche Ordentlichkeit

We're apparently of similar minds.
Suspicious that you did not extend the German hand of friendship and kindness on this account...

I want my DmC2 as well. Or at the very least the next DMC should have costume and such of him. not fair to throw in DMC stuff into DmC and not go the other way as well.

(1) Life isn't fair.
(2) They threw the DLC into DmC because almost everyone hated the new design and they knew fans of the original series would buy it and they'd get some easy profits out of it.
(3) While DmC wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, between the atrocious departure from the series roots/designs and being an NT game (I still want the DE on PC, but if they don't bring it, I guess I'll eventually pick it up cheap on PS4... trophy hunting be praised.), it was still something along the lines of DMC2, where most people who love the series want to pretend it doesn't exist.

If it makes Capcom bring Dragon's Dogma to PC then I couldn't care less if they focus on "Dante" or "Donte". Devil May Cry means nothing to me.

You shut your dirty whore mouth.

*slaps*

Go play DMC 3 4 SE now

Fixed that for you. ;)

Yeah. DmC was soo good. I will skip future DMC. I can't go back to the old Dante.

Good riddance.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :p

Grief.exe

This is a really tired argument.
Aren't we better off for having REmake, a brilliant game that until now was only available on the GC (outside of emulation), on Steam?
Will the world be a worse place for having a classic like RE2 redone with modern tech?
Assuming they don't fuck it up and go the same route as the OG REmake, can you imagine how great those backgrounds will look redrawn from scratch in 2015?

A lot of "remasters" are a waste of time, either because the games were forgettable in the first place or because they're a half-assed effort, but good remasters of classic games? Hell no, we should cherish the fact that they exist, especially on PC where they are forever compatible with future hardware.

Without the remaster we'd still be playing Shadow of the Colossus at 16 fps. I for one am very happy that such a classic now has a version that actually runs like it's supposed to.

IzyW492.gif

You might be right, but I'm never sure if Capcom is actually able to learn their lesson or not. I hope they do.

DmC fell waay short of their projections though. I'm sure it turned a profit, but I doubt anyone from Capcom considers that experiment to be a success.

That entire project always struck me as ironic. Capcom already had the entire framework for DMC5 in place, MT Frameworks engine, animations, and mechanics were entirely bought and paid for from DMC4.

Essentially just needed an art and design team to set up environments, story, and enemy design. They could have turned the project over relatively cheap, but instead turned to the significantly more expensive option.

I just can't even attempt to follow the logic.

Yeah. DmC was soo good. I will skip future DMC. I can't go back to the old Dante.

You should keep your opinions to yourself.

am I doing this right?

Jawmuncher

We're apparently of similar minds.
Suspicious that you did not extend the German hand of friendship and kindness on this account...

(1) Life isn't fair.
(2) They threw the DLC into DmC because almost everyone hated the new design and they knew fans of the original series would buy it and they'd get some easy profits out of it.
(3) While DmC wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, between the atrocious departure from the series roots/designs and being an NT game (I still want the DE on PC, but if they don't bring it, I guess I'll eventually pick it up cheap on PS4... trophy hunting be praised.), it was still something along the lines of DMC2, where most people who love the series want to pretend it doesn't exist.

)

Still feel the hate for DmC was over board. Especially the camp that says it's a "bad game". It's a mute point now since it's obvious DMC is what will be moving forward. So the way I see it, no reason that DmC needs to be stomped in the ground even more. Hell Vergil in DMC4SE even takes some ideas from Verigl in DmC.

IzyW492.gif

That entire project always struck me as ironic. Capcom already had the entire framework for DMC5 in place, MT Frameworks engine, animations, and mechanics were entirely bought an paid for.

Essentially just needed an art and design team to set up environments, story, and enemy design. They could have turned the project over relatively cheap, but instead turned to the significantly more expensive option.

They technically never even finished DMC4. The two campaigns were not supposed to be Nero and then mirror mode for Dante.

Haha. I kinda expected something like that from you after watching you play and loving DMC so much :D

Right now, it's sitting up there with SotFS as Steam GOTY 2015.

----

MKX added more klassic fatalities, recently... however, I see they decided to go with the tamer version of Sub-Zero's classic spine rip... I really would've loved to see them update the longer uncut version:

CluelessWhiteHatchetfish.gif

Dr Dogg

You know when I was playing Dragon's Dogma I was usually thinking 'wouldn't this be great if it was online with your pawns being controlled by other players' which is pretty much what DDO is going to be. Well that and microtransations out the arse but eh I'm still interested you bloody naysayers!

Like I said before the reason why I think Capcom still makes crazy projections for games is just them trying to make another profit source after last gen.

Did anyone seriously count the franchises that started last gen made by Capcom or ones they brought back from the dead? I think that has more to do with their financial troubles than most.

Just to name a few: Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Dark Void, Dragon's Dogma, Asura's Warth, Bionic Commando the reboot and rearmed. There is a lot more than this but, that's the one that pop into my head. I need a list, there is a bunch more I am missing.

There is more stuff like Ex Troopers and not to mention cross over games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Marvel vs Capcom 3. Then there was them trying being like Ubisoft, making sure they put something on every console, minus the WiiU I guess.

There is other stuff but that's my theory. Just starting a bunch of stuff and not having a plan in case nothing sticks. Trying to be Japanese EA didn't help too much I think.

I don't think he is wrong. If it does come outside of Japan it will be awhile.

MUnited83

For you.
You know when I was playing Dragon's Dogma I was usually thinking 'wouldn't this be great if it was online with your pawns being controlled by other players' which is pretty much what DDO is going to be. Well that and microtransations out the arse but eh I'm still interested you bloody naysayers!
Well, Online doesn't have the great combat dogma had either.

I stand neither here nor there regarding DMC and those split by the recent games. 2 Bayonettas came out while folks were pouting about Dante and I had more fun with Bayo1 than i ever did with the old DMC games. well, and more fun than I had with DmC as well but you get what im saying.

Jawmuncher

I stand neither here nor there regarding DMC and those split by the recent games. 2 Bayonettas came out while folks were pouting about Dante and I had more fun with Bayo1 than i ever did with the old DMC games. well, and more fun than I had with DmC as well but you get what im saying.

Bayonetta wishes it was as good as DMC3. Have both games on WiiU as well. The story absolutely ruins them.

Kuroyume

Banned
Groupees has been so fucking bad. That $1 tier for the recent Be Mine is one of the worst I've ever seen for a site's main bundle. Don't have faith to preorder their garbage anymore.

inm8num2

Groupees has been so fucking bad. That $1 tier for the recent Be Mine is one of the worst I've ever seen for a site's main bundle. Don't have faith to preorder their garbage anymore.

I like how they're doing "limited quantity" bundles now. Seems that people soured on pre-orders, so the new strategy is to create scarcity. ;)

Still feel the hate for DmC was over board. Especially the camp that says it's a "bad game". It's a mute point now since it's obvious DMC is what will be moving forward. So the way I see it, no reason that DmC needs to be stomped in the ground even more. Hell Vergil in DMC4SE even takes some ideas from Verigl in DmC.

Well, I guess it depends on how much you wanted DMC5 to be a sequel to DMC4 instead of this offshoot character action/musou hybrid done by a western developer with a terrible track record...

As I said, I was surprised that it wasn't a bad game overall... it was actually rather enjoyable, even if it had Bayonetta levels of cringe-worth "story". It's definitely not a DMC game though and it would've suffered less if it had just been some new IP (learn from Yaiba, where tacking on "Ninja Gaiden Z" damaged it more than anything else I can think of). And I still want an upgrade or even a whole new app for DmC DE so I can play it as something that's closer to a true DMC game.

IzyW492.gif

That entire project always struck me as ironic. Capcom already had the entire framework for DMC5 in place, MT Frameworks engine, animations, and mechanics were entirely bought and paid for from DMC4.

You should keep your opinions to yourself.

am I doing this right?

Man, you love that gif, don't you?

Capcom's logic, albeit flawed, is easy to follow for DmC: They wanted to capture the western audience and grow beyond the niche that DMC4/DMC3 had carved out for the franchise in the west (while being LOVED in Japan, I think). DMC4 had great western sales and Capcom thought "hey, why don't we westernize it, maybe we can grab some of that hardcore COD xbox gamer demographic and sell more!" They went the direction they did cause they wanted it to truly be offset and new, instead of trying to take the Japanese designs of the original series and westernize them. I agree with you, it was a financial risk and far from the safe option... however, as lashman would tell you, capcpom gonna capcpom.

As for the last part, I don't know. You're the one who started telling people not to voice their opinions around here because they might be unpopular with that line -- so if anyone should know if you're doing it right, it would be you.

Dr Dogg

Well, Online doesn't have the great combat dogma had either.

Ah I don't know it looks alright from some of the vids I've seen. There's some jankyness with certain classes sure but something like the Magic Archer class is a like for like copy in terms of skills and execution. Obviously trying it first hand would be the real deciding factor but hey a janky version of DD on PC is still better than no version at all. Well when it eventually comes westward and it bloody well better had.

Deitus

That entire project always struck me as ironic. Capcom already had the entire framework for DMC5 in place, MT Frameworks engine, animations, and mechanics were entirely bought an paid for.

It was insane logic for sure. I mean it ultimately came down to the DMC team was busy with Dragon's Dogma, and they wanted to do something with the IP in the meantime, but they went about it in the complete wrong way. As you said they already had everything in place that they could have made a fantastic sequel by reusing the engine and most of the combat mechanics of DMC4 and just building from there.

Instead they chose to throw everything out, start from scratch with a new developer, use UE3 which has never been a great engine for 60 fps action games (this was somewhat of a necessity due to MT Framework not being documented in English, but all the more reason why a Western developer was a bad choice), and redesigning the game in a way that specifically and intentionally didn't appeal to the core fanbase. And that's not even getting into the bad PR. If they had just hired Ninja Theory to make a new action game in the vein of DMC, they wouldn't have had any of the backlash (though it probably wouldn't have sold as well either).

It was just a clusterfuck of bad decision making.

It wasn't a bad game, just a disappointing one. It was a decent-to-good action game, in a franchise full of God-Tier action games (and one we don't talk about). When you add in the terrible PR actively insulting the fanbase of the original series, and Capcom saying fuck-all about the future of the original series, it was just a recipe for anger from fans.

And yes, it is true that DMC4SE Vergil takes some ideas from DmC Vergil, though it's worth noting that DmC Vergil is largely using the DMC3SE Vergil Moveset, with a few tweaks to accommodate using only one weapon instead of 3. But there were a few good additions, that Capcom was smart enough to re-use. They fucked up by making Trick Down usable in Devil Trigger only though.

Jawmuncher

I dunno, i never played any of these games for the story. What bayo lacks in a coherent and well told story it more than makes up for in great gameplay and amazing set pieces.

Action fans need to be more vocal in wanting a overall experience. I hate how action games can get away with a shit story because the gameplay is good. Yeah i'll put gameplay over story too, but when that's a common saying for a majority of the fanbase there's a problem.

Dr Dogg

Or you could all play Marlow Briggs. Better story than any DMC and better combat than any God of War. That's a win-win right there. I might have a different definition of the word better than some of you though. Then again I've spent the whole after convincing myself that self spending money you don't have on a 4K TV you don't need is indeed a wise investment that will reap rewards for years to come.

I guess that licence was expendable...

Yeah well love you too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom