• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The speculation is actually that they based it off the Umineko pachinko art.
Well I art style is close but I was talking about the posing.

I recall this as well, I am betting you may be on it when it hits. I do wonder why they're doing new art rather than using the PS3 art, but then again they did that also with Higurashi so not fully surprising.

Also as I posted the anime OP, here's a few other openings for the series from the old PC/PS3 games:

PC OP for Umineko using PS3 sprites (original PC version had the Higurashi thing where they were a bit deformed chibi)
Umineko: Nocturne of Truth and Illusion PS3 OP
Well Alchemist owns the PS3 version's sprites and VA so I imagine it's more Alchemist wanting too much/not wanting to license them out.

Kyougar

Fucking Love Umineko!

Great news.

Do we know if they release the full 8 Episodes or are they SLOWLY Releasing it like Higurashi? -.-

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Fucking Love Umineko!

Great news.

Do we know if they release the full 8 Episodes or are they SLOWLY Releasing it like Higurashi? -.-

Seems like they're editing Witch Hunt's translation so I imagine it'll come faster unless they take too long redrawing all the sprites. (There is over 200 for Beatrice alone.)

M.D

So glad I picked up Trials: Fusion. I'ts exactly what I thought this game would be and I'm having blast with it.

I'm at the hard courses and the difficulty level really ramped up, but it's fun because you basically have to learn the best way you can move with your bike for every obstacle they put in your way.

Also, I went back and watched the GB Quicklook and Brad totally sucks at the game lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
retail, physical game purchases:
2009: 73 games
2010: 64 games
2011: 53 games
2012: 36 games
2013: 24 games
2014: 20 games
2015 (so far): 1 game

anyone else have a similar trajectory?

Knurek

Hey, Mangagamer, I'm really happy that you're bringing Umineko to Steam.
How about Higurashi episodes 2 and onwards though? If you keep the schedule you have now, we won't see the series conclusion before 2050... :(

My last physical game was... I dont even know. Diablo 3. Before that Starcraft 2 and the addon and before that UT3.

My next one will be Clannad since I backed the physical edition.

How about Higurashi episodes 2 and onwards though? If you keep the schedule you have now, we won't see the series conclusion before 2050... :(

Its actually kinda strange that they release each episode individually. I thought before they wanted to release the question arc as one and the answer arc as one.
But I think the release schedule is still normal for "novels".

I mean before SAO came out, Yenpress released 2 light novels each year of a series. Now they do 3-4.

Lain

Similar in decline of physical purchases, though not to the same extent. It started once I bought a new PC and installed Steam, which reduced the number of physical console games I bought to just exclusive and handheld stuff and a couple physical LE VN on PC (and DA:I and I guess WoW expansions) and with not jumping to the current gen (thanks to Sony deciding to not include BC) the number of physical purchases for me is getting shorter shorter.
I remember looking at my collection of PS games and thinking I had a lot, then I look at the amount of games I amassed on Steam in a few years and I shake my head in shame.
Have to say that while I'm OK with buying digital games on PC, I'm not as OK with buying console games digitally.
I do miss the old big PC games boxes though.

pahamrick

If we're going by console, I think I've bought 5 physical games in the last 5 years. PC, would be 1 in the last 5 years.

Jazz573

Hey, Mangagamer, I'm really happy that you're bringing Umineko to Steam.

Half-Life 3 will release first. :p Just likely every JAST title, since they use the same release schedule as Valve. :p

The amount of retail games that I have bought since 2008 has been around 5 retail games a year, but I don't think I'll be buying that much this year. I only bought Splatoon and Evolve at retail. Every other game for PC, Wii U, 3DS, and Xbox One has been digital.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I do miss the old big PC games boxes though.

My parents threw out my little collection when we moved all of two blocks away. From memory:

- AFL '98
- Age of Empires Gold
- Carmageddon
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
- Half-Life
- Half-Life Platinum Pack (pre-Blue Shift)
- Heretic 2
- Jazz Jackrabbit
- Knights & Merchants
- Quake
- Quake 3
- Sin
- Worms Armageddon

Milamber

Hmm, physical...

2009: 3 games
2010: 3-4 games
2011: 0 games
2012: 1 game
2013: 1 game
2014: 1 game
2015: 0 games so far

These are PC related of course.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
My parents threw out my little collection when we moved all of two blocks away. From memory:

- AFL '98
- Age of Empires Gold
- Half-Life
- Heretic 2
- Jazz Jackrabbit
- Knights & Merchants
- Quake 3
- Sin
- Worms Armageddon

At least they didn't throw away an original Bart Simpson doll.

Backlogger

I don't buy retail PC games unless it's a fluke deal and it must include a Steam key. I've purchased maybe 1 retail PC game on the last 3-5 years.

Console games on the other hand are a different story.

Knurek

Disclaimer: This is for games newly released between 22.05.2015 and 28.06.2015. I'm only including games that have more than 10k owners, there's a lot of great games that sold less than that, but I don't think Steamspy results for such low values are statistically sound. I did remove the games that left Early Access this month, as they had a lot more time to accrue owners (Tabletop Simulator, Audiosurf 2, Massive Chalice)
Also, standard Steamspy disclaimer applies - those are ownership data, not revenue and definitely not profit. Many of these games have been discounted during the Steam Sale, a few have been bundled already/before release.

With that in mind, here's the top 10. Full results are available here

#1: ARK: Survival Evolved ($24.89) - 73% positive out of 18004 reviews: 929,386 ± 21,833

#2: DiggerOnline ($9.99) - 48% positive out of 15707 reviews: 474,077 ± 15,608

#3: Batman: Arkham Knight ($59.99) - 39% positive out of 13011 reviews: 336,891 ± 13,161

#4: LEGO Worlds ($14.99) - 88% positive out of 4278 reviews:225,764 ± 10,776

#5: Magicka 2 ($14.99) - 64% positive out of 1479 reviews: 108,966 ± 7,488

#6: BeamNG.drive ($24.99) - 91% positive out of 1174 reviews: 107,751 ± 7,446

#7: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2 Sisters Generation ($29.99) - 94% positive out of 838 reviews: 68,863 ± 5,953

#8: LEGO Jurassic World ($39.99) - 77% positive out of 689 reviews: 59,412 ± 5,530

#9: Duck Game ($12.99) - 96% positive out of 985 reviews: 54,686 ± 5,305

#10: The Game That Shall Not Be Named ($19.99) - 78% positive out of 2525 reviews: 48,474 ± 4,995

Please let me know if you find a chart like this worthwhile.

oipic

The last purchase I could touch and feel was the physical copy of Civ V I pre-ordered in 2010 - even then it was just for the Steam key, the disc was neglected.

This discussion somehow makes me realise how much I miss printed manuals.

Caerith

Fucking Umineko?

This is fantastic news, I have some friends who REALLY like Umineko. Umineko is made by the same people who made Higurashi and I know many who prefer the Umineko VNs to the Higurashi ones. Many place it as one of their favorite VNs ever, and it's focus is in mystery/horror.

I've not played them, but I enjoyed the one-season anime adaption well-enough, though everyone says it's so much worse than the VN.

Here's the anime opening for Umineko at least.
The Umineko OP reminds me of .hack or something. I think the Higurashi OP was a lot more iconic.

My trajectory for physical game purchases follows a Wile E Coyote trajectory and has been pretty much maybe 1-2 games per year since I got a PS3. My trajectory for digital game purchases has been sort of a 1/X curve, but mostly it's that I built up a backlog early on.

- AFL '98
- Age of Empires Gold
- Carmageddon
- Half-Life
- Heretic 2
- Jazz Jackrabbit
- Knights & Merchants
- Quake
- Quake 3
- Sin
- Worms Armageddon

Shame about Quake. That disc is one of NIN's best albums.

Lain

It's interesting how Batman AK is still that high on the owner list. I guess most people got it from Nvidia codes or from other stores than Steam.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I don't have the hard numbers, but I think my trajectory is probably the opposite of yours. For example, I've purchased about 40 games for the PS4 (all physical, mostly cheap from Gamefly) since October of last year.

Anteater

I'm actually enjoying torchlight 2 for some reason, I got bored of the first game in like the first dungeon, maybe I'm just in a different mood.

Playing from family sharing, looks like the game hasn't been 4 bucks in 6 months...

Can someone recommend a tower defense game to play? i already own a lot of the ones on steam (if they went cheap) but my collection is an unorganized mess.

I really enjoyed Orcs Must Die! 1 and 2. Tower defence games started to lose my interest but this recaptured it thanks to its third person shooter and tower defence hybrid gameplay.

------------
I bought 13 physical games this year but only 4 so far this year. A lot of those are console games. I only bought physical PC games that gave Steam keys.

Enthus

My PS4 came with a retail game, so 1 this year. Warlords of Draenor Collector's Edition last year, and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 the year before. So 1 game every year since 2013, I believe.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't have the hard numbers, but I think my trajectory is probably the opposite of yours. For example, I've purchased about 40 games for the PS4 (all physical, mostly cheap from Gamefly) since October of last year.

I'm surprised given your large PC game collection that you'd be buying multiplatform stuff on PS4 over PC. Is it a case of "shiny new toy", or your PC being in need of an upgrade, or issues with your home PC setup, or something else entirely?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I don't think I've bought any physical PC game since Steam and GOG came online.

And I've started RedBox-ing more console games

I've started buying more blu rays, though.

And Kindle has taken over my reading

AHA-Lambda

Umineko news is great, didn't get to watch that show :)

Any ETA on it or Ep 2 of Higurashi?

Mine seems to have been going up :/

I've had 4 PC games in disc this year, that's like a 300% increase in last year :p

Anteater

I haven't bought a single physical game ever since I got a decent computer.

It's really just a money thing. Retail games (both consoles and PC) can't really compete with steam prices in my region.

dex3108

I don't have disc reader since i bought new PC Case 3 years ago xD (It looked ugly so i decided not to put it).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've started buying more blu rays, though.

I haven't bought a single BD since Amazon UK's repeatedly-extended free shipping to AU promotion finally ended. At the time I figured Amazon would repeat the offer again at some point since it was clearly a huge success, but it's been ~3.5 years now. :(

- AFL '98
- Age of Empires Gold
- Carmageddon
- Half-Life
- Heretic 2
- Jazz Jackrabbit
- Knights & Merchants
- Quake
- Quake 3
- Sin
- Worms Armageddon
Man I remember the first PC we had, it could barely run games but we were able to borrow Jazz Jackrabbit from a family friend and I think it was a Travis game pad. Good memories. Didn't know it at the time obviously but it's funny thinking that Cliffy B made that game.

Tektonic

Since that top ten Steam sellers only contains one anime game (nep) and no vns, does that mean the inordinate amount of talk about anime, vns and random bara games (yep I googled it too) is not representative of a Steam community thread?

Just asking???
I think 75% of this thread is anime/etc ;)

Chariot

You can't just post the forbidden game, how about some secret stealth?

b4HQSll.png

Since that top ten Steam sellers only contains one anime game (nep) and no vns, does that mean the inordinate amount of talk about anime, vns and random bara games (yep I googled it too) is not representative of a Steam community thread?

Just asking???
I think 75% of this thread is anime/etc ;)
feel free to start talking about ARK and Digger Online more if you want

VN's are just still the new thing and fans are passionate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom