• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
bpqRfUm.png

neat

KarmaCow

I'm a little worried about there not being a manual install for the Long War XCOM mod, is there a reason why they're packing the EW beta up in a .exe?

ViviOggi

Chuckled at the thread full of people having to reapply thermal paste to their PS4 innards, at least you don't have to update drivers every 5 minutes yet

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Chuckled at the thread full of people having to reapply thermal paste to their PS4 innards, at least you don't have to update drivers every 5 minutes yet
I'm not worried about having to do that with my ps4 since its turned on like 3 times in a busy month.

PC on the other hand...

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bloop -- MB-C775A15E69402C9D - Taken by ExoSoul
Koala Kids -- MB-C541EC98270781B0 - Taken by kevin1025
Odysseus: Long Way Home -- MB-FCA72A854E443170 - Taken by Kifimbo
The 39 Steps -- MB-8C083CB724EEE277 - Taken by NightmareTrigger
Vanguard Princess -- MB-DB41ADF485CD3F63 - Taken by gar3
Snuggle Truck -- MB-43BE42988DA878EE - Taken by crazyrabbits
LEONA'S TRICKY ADVENTURES -- MB-9E93610FB3E964E3 - Taken by rainking187
Cubot -- MB-78B6C94513FF3D77 - Taken by madjoki
SWORD OF ASUMI -- MB-F5EEE659C2B4BE6E - Taken by Widdly Scuds
Pitiri 1977 -- MB-54280975721F65E0 - Taken by Kuroyume
Streets of Chaos -- MB-141C4A092CCBCB51 - Taken by SSPssp
The World Named Fred -- MB-21E21FD013CE397C - Taken by DaBargainHunta
Mr. Bree Plus -- MB-73EBED4E52E867D7 - Taken by darkchewie

L.O.R.D

just finished watching Mad Max Fury Road
wow, this movie is amazing
for some reason , i want to play a game like this
so , Rage or Borderlands ?

Faabulous

How is the PC version of WWE 2k15, especially with KB&M? Should I bother with it?

Never played it on PC so I can't comment the port, but please don't buy that. It's just bad. Slow, content starved and controls like shit. Wait for next year, they spent all their time on the shiny engine and forgot about putting a compeling game in it this time around.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rage has great shooting and solid driving physics. Borderlands has garbage shooting and mediocre driving physics. The choice is pretty clear.

Grief.exe

I'm not worried about having to do that with my ps4 since its turned on like 3 times in a busy month.

PC on the other hand...

Same.

Mine was played for a solid week with Bloodborne, hadn't been touched in about 6 months before that. Hasn't been touched since.

Doesn't surprise me actually. I may skip this console generation altogether, but I'll reevaluate at the end of 2016.

just finished watching Mad Max Fury Road
wow, this movie is amazing
for some reason , i want to play a game like this
so , Rage or Borderlands ?

Both games are not very good, I would go with Rage though. It has some merit, but it goes on a little too long.

autoduelist

Rage has great shooting and solid driving physics. Borderlands has garbage shooting and mediocre driving physics. The choice is pretty clear.

While the first Borderlands felt empty/incomplete/souless, Borderlands 2 was fleshed out and fantastic.

Rage bored the living daylights out of me. It wasn't bad... it just didn't come together for me.

Rage has great shooting and solid driving physics.

While the first Borderlands felt empty/incomplete/souless, Borderlands 2 was fleshed out and fantastic.

These are my opinions. For my money, I paid full price for both games, and while I enjoyed both, I was quite disappointed in Rage. It had fun gameplay and gorgeous visuals, but there was no real motivation to anything going on and I eventually stopped doing the sidequests. Borderlands 2 more or less hit my expectations, that is to say the first game but improving on most of my problems with it (and the ones it didn't not really mattering much, I kinda love the terrible vehicle physics).

Rage bored the living daylights out of me. It wasn't bad... it just didn't come together for me.

A big problem with B2 is that it kinda plays the same after the first few hours. So I could only play it in maybe 1-2 hour sessions each day.

And the horrible, horrible loot system...
I was always getting the good weapons that are required for my levels through those gold keys. If you play the game for 10 minutes, you already have like 200 weapon drops and checking each one to see if its marginally better would be such a chore.

This is what I thought of Rage. Played it just very recently.
0aLK53e.png

Impressions on RAGE

It's a solid first-person-shooter. Starts fairly quickly by throwing you into the action. Not much dialogue, story, character progression or even cutscenes. That's actually a good thing as the shooting is enjoyable and satisfying. Blood splatters wildly, enemies die in nice animations or even pulverize in a cloud of blood. Weapon animations and sound are very nice and thus you really want to use them a lot.

Sadly there is a problem with that. The devs have weirdly opted for the mechanic of ammo being non-ubiquitous. Fallen enemies don't drop ammo but instead goods you can sell or use to build "usables" like health-kits, turrets etc.
It's an interesting take but in the end leads to conservative usage of certain weapons and ammo types. The money you earn by completing missions and selling loot is almost just enough to repair your car and to re-stock on ammo. I would have loved to use super-expensive ammo and blast away bandits and mutants. The shooting and movement feels so fluid, it begs for it. But then you start thinking about the length of the current mission and start shooting more conservatively. It's still fun but I'd enjoy too much ammo more.

Other than shooting baddies on foot, you'll spent quite some time in your car. To my surprise it's really decent. It was weird that I couldn't pan the camera with the mouse while driving but the car controls beautifully. Blasting enemy cars with miniguns or rockets is a lot of fun! You can participate in races to upgrade your car which is nice, too.
Graphically the game looks alright. Stunning textures from distance, very low details up close and inside of buildings which is a lot of time you'll be spending. A lot looks kind of like paper or cardboard because of that.

Ultimately I felt the game fell flat after a couple hours though. See, the first 3 hours is about showing you all the different mechanics but after that there is nothing exciting happening. You do exactly the same thing time after time.
Get mission>drive to mission start>step through a door>kill everything in a painfully linear level>reach the end where either a boss or special loot waits>conveniently find a nearby exit>get in your car and drive back to mission giver>rinse&repeat
I appreciate the devs trying to make a "open-world" but in this case I think a linear campaign would have been better. Even at the cost of not driving.

Besides my gripes I still can totally recommend the game to people who want some shoot-bang. Shooting and driving is very enjoyable. Weapons look and feel nice. And getting a kill with a wingstick never gets old. It kinda turned into my melee attack as the regular one is woefully underpowered.
For now I had my fill of it. 7 hours and I started feeling numb towards it. The wasteland here was pretty depressing and due to mutants it almost felt like a horror shooter at times. Think I'll start a bit more cheerful game.
I am more inclined to play Borderlands 2 as the depressing almost horror-like atmosphere in Rage got to me. I want a bit fun.

shockdude

Basically, it's 2015. Why isn't this sort of thing solved yet? Or is it? Why is wanting my desktop in native res and my game in the game's native res such a deal breaker/headache?
With a 3200x1800 screen, playing games at 1600x900 will also get you a native-like resolution due to the way the math works out.
The behavior of games only appearing in the bottom-right corner is strange, and definitely not normal. What GPU does your laptop use? Does it use switchable graphics (e.g. Nvidia Optimus)? If you have an Intel CPU, have you updated your Intel graphics drivers?

I'm playing through The Missing Link after finishing DX:HR. I think having this in inserted into the last quarter of the main game would completely slow the pacing and have a tonal shift compared to what it was. I am enjoying it but happy to play it as an epilogue.

EDIT: Oh man! They spoiled
the costumes and set of the climax in DX:HR, as well as explaining
it! This should absolutely be played at after the main story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom