• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.O.R.D

wait...there is a mad max game ?
i can't find it on steam ?
that's strange , usually they put a game before release several months

Jawmuncher

Finally saw Jurassic World. Holy Shit so good, basically everything I wanted. Will be seeing it again. Even teared at seeing the completed park a bit. Now I'm going to devour Lego Jurassic World. I'm talking all achievements and everything. Hope we get more dinosaur games soon!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-2380-1435389721-6.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Finally saw Jurassic World. Holy Shit so good, basically everything I wanted. Will be seeing it again. Even teared at seeing the completed park a bit. Now I'm going to devour Lego Jurassic World. I'm talking all achievements and everything. Hope we get more dinosaur games soon!

The saga finally comes to a close~

Dinosaurs are perfect for videogames. They are stupid. Come in packs. Are faceless baddies you can kill to your hearts desire. Wonder how there are so few games with them.

Kagemusha

Dungeon Souls any good? Itching for a game like it. Could use some recommendations. Any ARPGs recs would be sweet too.

I played for 11 minutes.

It's like looking through a kaleidoscope that stabs your eyes. Biggest problem is its just a chaotic blur of color.
If your looking for something like it, I'd recommend Crawl

I'd recommend
Grim Dawn
BloodLust
CrossCode

Unless you're quoting the wrong post, that's a rather asshole-ish thing to say.

Oh, did you miss the part where Grief.exe originally told someone (Hero Prinny) the same thing because it was not a positive opinion of Valve?
(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170866772&postcount=1985)

Or is it just "asshole-ish" because it came from me and not from Grief.exe?

^Just edit your post to avoid mentioning HOW you watched it :p

Ah OK then.
...still an odd way to bring that up, like he just wanted to use it and just replied that for the sake of typing that @_@

Not really -- Grief posted an opinion that I didn't necessarily agree with, so I figured I should remind him to practice what he preaches.
Don't worry, I'll be reminding him for some time. ;)

MUnited83

For you.

I found it kinda eh, personally. It's a nice summer movie alright, but that's all. Too many flaws.

Oh well, at least there's a lot of Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard to oogle at :3

Lulubop

I played for 11 minutes.

It's like looking through a kaleidoscope that stabs your eyes. Biggest problem is its just a chaotic blur of color.
If your looking for something like it, I'd recommend Crawl

I'd recommend
Grim Dawn
BloodLust
CrossCode

Yea, I'm not really feeling it. Grim Dawn is something I been looking at for awhile tho, but I've been waiting for it to get out of early access. I might just pull the trigger tho

Jawmuncher

The saga finally comes to a close~
It was one hell of a trip to finally see it.
Dinosaurs are perfect for videogames. They are stupid. Come in packs. Are faceless baddies you can kill to your hearts desire. Wonder how there are so few games with them.
They fit perfectly for both AI types. They can be dumb, but pack hunting and such could be used for better such scenarios. No game has really explored that though outside of Turok 08.....which was more basic. Outside of the flare mechanic.
#notalldinosaurs

7oDDdog.gif
Indeed.
Jawmuncher hates him.
Learn more about dinosaurs with this one neat trick.
I found it kinda eh, personally. It's a nice summer movie alright, but that's all. Too many flaws.

Oh well, at least there's a lot of Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard to oogle at :3
I really enjoyed but it wasn't perfect. Then again I can't think of much that is. My biggest complaint is I wish we had gotten some more backstory on the characters. Especially Owen and Barry. Funny enough the mobile game might actually explain the first date.
In the game, Barry sets up a blind date for the two. Which is how they have met before.

Grief.exe

Oh, did you miss the part where Grief.exe originally told someone (Hero Prinny) the same thing because it was not a positive opinion of Valve?
(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170866772&postcount=1985)

Or is it just "asshole-ish" because it came from me and not from Grief.exe?

Has nothing to do with Valve, those games Hero referenced are generally considered to be among the greatest of all time.

Borderlands and Rage are mediocre, both mechanically and from a design stand point.

Pulling that personal bit out for Rage of all things is just contrived.

Kagemusha

Yea, I'm not really feeling it. Grim Dawn is something I been looking at for awhile tho, but I've been waiting for it to get out of early access. I might just pull the trigger tho

Grim Dawn made a very good impression, but I dropped it in February for something else and never came back. Has great atmosphere and music. You should get it during next sale for sure.

Victor Vran isn't as far along but worth looking at.

Warlocks Vs. Shadows is an overlooked ARPG with hoards.

Jawmuncher

Jaw finally saw it?
RpnVV9r.gif

Saved.

-------

Also the Lego Jurassic World port is fine, it's on par with the other Lego games on PC. Have had no issues running it or playing it. Haven't gotten too deep in yet but I'll see about glitches. It's seems there are some that are kind of a pain of you're going for full completion. But nothing really that affects if you just want to play through.

autoduelist

With a 3200x1800 screen, playing games at 1600x900 will also get you a native-like resolution due to the way the math works out.
The behavior of games only appearing in the bottom-right corner is strange, and definitely not normal. What GPU does your laptop use? Does it use switchable graphics (e.g. Nvidia Optimus)? If you have an Intel CPU, have you updated your Intel graphics drivers?

So I just went to play Sang Froid on the basis of someone else's recommendation.This time? The game takes up the top quadrant or so of my screen. I tried several of the games in game res changes to no avail.

(note - the game also crashed if I alt-tabbed out, though using borderless windows fixed this, though it didn't fix anything else )

Anyway, I quit out of the game, restarted my laptop, switched the resolution of my system to 1600x900 (half my res) .... and the game STILL only took up the top right quad of my screen when I booted it [it was also set to 1600x900]. So I'm having this problem even when I match resolutions.

This is infuriating, my gaming time was burnt out on this once again.

Anyway. I have a XPS 15 (L502x).

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
16 gigs of memory
Display adaptor : NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M

I don't know what 'switchable graphics' are, although googling my adaptor seems to imply it's Optimus...

I am fairly sure everything is up to date, it was recently and I've been having this problem since i got the machine. i will double check asap. I'm using windows 8.1.

Has nothing to do with Valve, those games Hero referenced are generally considered to be among the greatest of all time.

Borderlands and Rage are mediocre, both mechanically and from a design stand point.

The lowest metacritic score any Borderlands game received was the ill-conceived Vita port at a 64. On your almighty PCMR platform, the oriignal received an 81 average score and Borderlands 2 received an 89 average score. Both games have user reviews over 7.8 (Borderlands 2 is a 8.2). Steam user reviews range from Very Positive to Overwhelmingly Positive across the titles in the main series. It certainly seems a lot of people like the series and think it's better than mediocre -- but y'know, since you don't like them and there's a reasonable number of posters in here that don't like the games either, it must be a fact that they're mediocre and not worth playing.

While Rage manages a decent metacritic of 79 based on reviews, it only has a 5.1 user score. If you take only the user ratings there into account, then yes, Rage is mediocre by definition -- and yet several posters in here lately have played it and praised it. So it's quite possible to like, in fact, as evidenced by the 79% Mostly Positive rating on its Steam store page (over 6500+ reviews).

So it seems that 79-89% positive scores/reviews now, I guess?
And while you're certainly entitled to your opinion that the games in question are mediocre, it's certainly not as factual as you seem to believe.

I liked Rage. The gunplay was quite good, the animations were awesome, and overall I'd say that the gameplay was fun. It's sad that the game probably won't get a sequel.

Teggy

I'm playing through The Missing Link after finishing DX:HR. I think having this in inserted into the last quarter of the main game would completely slow the pacing and have a tonal shift compared to what it was. I am enjoying it but happy to play it as an epilogue.

EDIT: Oh man! They spoiled the costumes and set of the climax in DX:HR, as well as explaining it! This should absolutely be played at after the main story.

I played the Director's Cut on my first playthrough and I'd agree. It was really confusing because I didn't know what it was and all of my equipment and points were taken away.

Not sure what you mean about the spoilers though.

Sheik

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sheik, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-31D76FD3515450C1 - Taken by shockdude. 4 entrants total.

t1436164492z1.png

In honour of the successful launch of Batman: Arkham Knight! I know you're all very impressed. :)

So I just went to play Sang Froid on the basis of someone else's recommendation.This time? The game takes up the top quadrant or so of my screen. I tried several of the games in game res changes to no avail.

(note - the game also crashed if I alt-tabbed out, though using borderless windows fixed this, though it didn't fix anything else )

Anyway, I quit out of the game, restarted my laptop, switched the resolution of my system to 1600x900 (half my res) .... and the game STILL only took up the top right quad of my screen when I booted it [it was also set to 1600x900]. So I'm having this problem even when I match resolutions.

16 gigs of memory

I don't know what 'switchable graphics' are, although googling my adaptor seems to imply it's Optimus...

I am fairly sure everything is up to date, it was recently and I've been having this problem since i got the machine. i will double check asap. I'm using windows 8.1.

You've got two "graphics cards" in your laptop. The Intel HD series is the integrated chip, ang you have your dedicated Nvidia chip. In your system tray, there's an Intel(R) HD Graphics icon and an NVIDIA GPU icon, poth have right-click options that lead to control panels. First: I would go to the Nvidia control panel-> manage 3D settings-> here you can force games(and other applications) to use your dedicated nvidia chip. Some games are good about this and wont need it, some aren't. Next, I would go to the Intel Graphics Properties and finagle with the scaling options.

I played the Director's Cut on my first playthrough and I'd agree. It was really confusing because I didn't know what it was and all of my equipment and points were taken away.

Not sure what you mean about the spoilers though.

The Missing Link explains
the Hyron Project and shows what the drone women wear and the pods they get plugged into. In HR there are hints from hacked emails something is strange - "hello father" and Darrow says you have no idea what is waiting for you. If you play HR first that is true. If you played Missing Link inserted into the director's cut you know exactly what is down there - a network of humans plugged into a super computer.

Parsnip

That's just like your opinion man.

The lowest metacritic score any Borderlands game received was the ill-conceived Vita port at a 64. On your almighty PCMR platform, the oriignal received an 81 average score and Borderlands 2 received an 89 average score. Both games have user reviews over 7.8 (Borderlands 2 is a 8.2). Steam user reviews range from Very Positive to Overwhelmingly Positive across the titles in the main series. It certainly seems a lot of people like the series and think it's better than mediocre -- but y'know, since you don't like them and there's a reasonable number of posters in here that don't like the games either, it must be a fact that they're mediocre and not worth playing.

While Rage manages a decent metacritic of 79 based on reviews, it only has a 5.1 user score. If you take only the user ratings there into account, then yes, Rage is mediocre by definition -- and yet several posters in here lately have played it and praised it. So it's quite possible to like, in fact, as evidenced by the 79% Mostly Positive rating on its Steam store page (over 6500+ reviews).

And while you're certainly entitled to your opinion that the games in question are mediocre, it's certainly not as factual as you seem to believe.

I like you.

shockdude

16 gigs of memory

Switchable graphics = the laptop is primarily Intel graphics, and switches to the Nvidia GPU when necessary. Sometimes it won't switch correctly and you need to set profiles in the Nvidia Control Panel.

I'm guessing your Intel graphics drivers are out of date. It's a pain to update them the first time, but every subsequent driver update should be smooth.
Create a restore point.
Uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and reboot.
Uninstall the Intel graphics drivers and reboot.
Install the latest Intel graphics drivers and reboot.
Install the latest NVIDIA drivers and reboot.
Try playing some games again.

Coldsun

Banned
Almost finished my current web dev project. Was hoping Arkham Knight would be for sell again by the time it was finished. Outlook not so good.

bbd23

so I started The Evil Within recently...this game is so weird. its trying to make you feel tense at the start since you basically have no ammo but the level design and stuff just feels so bad that instead of feeling tense I feel very annoyed.

Deques

Sorry, is it against the rules? I thought it'd be okay since it was pretty obviously fake, but I can take it down if it's a no-no. :eek:

I am not sure if it's against rules, but you are acting a complete douche bag if you create fake giveaways for unaware gaffers

Grief.exe

I would argue that citing Metacritic and user reviews are essentially irrelevant especially considering the state of video game journalism and the fact that something being popular rarely equals a compelling product.

To use that same logic, obviously the games in reference pale in comparison to the Metacritic scores and general consensus of something like Half-Life 2 and the episodes.

Just arguing from a pure mechanical basis, Borderlands is a mediocre franchise. The shooting is boring, the RPG mechanics shallow, the enemies and quest designs are copy/paste, and the gameplay is made tedious due to the bulletsponge nature of the constantly repeated enemy types.
Where people find the game fun is the constant stimulation and endorphin rush of picking up loot and easily completing objectives while playing with friends.

I can easily see how the mainstream can find the game serviceable and fun, but it's not a great game from a variety of standpoints.

I find the writing to be utter trash, but that is actually my opinion.

I actually found Rage pretty good from a mechanical standpoint, but the game just became stale as it went on a little long and failed to mix up the gameplay loop.

I like you.

Steam thread will always be hating on Borderlands.

I will say, excellent game to play when you have a cold and just need to sleep through the night.

nyquil1.jpg

Grief.exe

I was with you up until this point, because that definitely seems more like an opinion than actual fact.

I never found the shooting boring in Borderlands, how long I spent in 1 and 2 testify to that.

I don't profess to be an expert on the series as I've only played 20 hours across both games. I feel that is enough to develop an informed opinion, but take this with a grain of salt.

My experience in both games boiled down to ADS, bullet sponge, ADS, bullet sponge, repeat. Like I said, if you enjoy the series, more power to you. I found the gameplay loop stale.

Argh, that's it.
I'll get a trainer to finish FFXIII. I'm currently at chapter 10 and I really can't take it anymore. I just want to see the game ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom