• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahamrick

I don't profess to be an expert on the series as I've only played 20 hours across both games. I feel that is enough to develop an informed opinion, but take this with a grain of salt.

My experience in both games boiled down to ADS, bullet sponge, ADS, bullet sponge, repeat. Like I said, if you enjoy the series, more power to you. I found the gameplay loop stale.

Which is perfectly fine, I only had issue with you looping in "The shooting is boring" with "Arguing from a pure mechanical basis". Everything else I agree with (Shallow RPG elements, ect) and I like the franchise.

Grief.exe

Which is perfectly fine, I only had issue with you looping in "The shooting is boring" with "Arguing from a pure mechanical basis". Everything else I agree with (Shallow RPG elements, ect) and I like the franchise.

Fair point, always good to look at things from both sides. I respect that you can concede certain things despite enjoying the franchise.

IzyW492.gif

I love Morrowind, for example, but I'll be the first to point out the game's issues.

yuraya

Argh, that's it.
I'll get a trainer to finish FFXIII. I'm currently at chapter 10 and I really can't take it anymore. I just want to see the game ends.

Don't quit. That is when the game gets good at ch.10 and to the end. Keep at it and finish it up.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Fair point, always good to look at things from both sides. I respect that you can concede certain things despite enjoying the franchise.

IzyW492.gif

I love Morrowind, for example, but I'll be the first to point out the game's issues.

I can name a number of horror games I adore to bits, but some elements of them are just, graah.

There are certain games that have some things that can be super appealing to you as a person, but those same games may have flaws, but the flaws, while annoying, don't get in the way of you enjoying it. In some cases, the flaws even can give it some weird sort of appeal.

Harusame

The only Borderlands game that I have played is Borderlands 2 on the Vita, however, it was a very disappointing experience and I didn't enjoy much at all. Should I give it another go on PC?

Never played it on PC so I can't comment the port, but please don't buy that. It's just bad. Slow, content starved and controls like shit. Wait for next year, they spent all their time on the shiny engine and forgot about putting a compeling game in it this time around.

Okay, thanks. I will wait then.

Feels like I woke up in an apocalyptic setting today. Brown/yellow tint to the max, dirty skies, ash everywhere, the smell of smoke.
Dang forest fires.

Haven't played the Borderlands series before, but I thought they were generally well received. Co-op in the game is better I hear.

Miguel81

These GTA V loading times finally got me to splurge on an SSD. The startup process is pretty damn lengthy on a WD Black. I'll be using it for Win 10 so I've still got a few weeks.

donny2112

Is it too early to start whining that there is no Life Is Strange episode 4 release date?

I'm looking forward to the whole thing coming out, so it can go on a good sale. Whenever TWD S3 comes out, will have to force myself to wait for it to all be released to wait for a sale for the same reason. lol

Sheik

I am not sure if it's against rules, but you are acting a complete douche bag if you create fake giveaways for unaware gaffers

Uhh... It was pretty obviously fake and like a handful of posts after my actual free giveaway. If people are too lazy to actually look at the post, it's probably their own fault. I took it down a while ago regardless. I feel like you don't need to be so unnecessarily hostile though.

Grief.exe

These GTA V loading times finally got me to splurge on an SSD. The startup process is pretty damn lengthy on a WD Black. I'll be using it for Win 10 so I've still got a few weeks.

The startup time actually doesn't get better on an SSD. Well, it may be improved from standard hard drives, but it is still relatively terrible.

Don't quit. That is when the game gets good at ch.10 and to the end. Keep at it and finish it up.

Watch the ending in Youtube instead, would be much faster way to see how the game ends :)

I'm not quitting, I just want to experience the game and story without the repetitive battles. I could just skip pass through them but I'll be missing those CPs and probably will get gimped. I actually like the combat system and boss battles are generally fun, but fighting my way through the corridors and repetitive battles with normal enemies is totally killing my enjoyment out of this game.

SSPssp

I played the Director's Cut on my first playthrough and I'd agree. It was really confusing because I didn't know what it was and all of my equipment and points were taken away.

Not sure what you mean about the spoilers though.

I think they decided to take away everything in order to pad out the game time. They wanted to make you think you got your money's worth. I thought it was ok but I played it after I beat the main game like it was intended. It really screws with the pacing when its dropped into the main story.

dot

I'm not quitting, I just want to experience the game and story without the repetitive battles. I could just skip pass through them but I'll be missing those CPs and probably will get gimped. I actually like the combat system and boss battles are generally fun, but fighting my way through the corridors and repetitive battles with normal enemies is totally killing my enjoyment out of this game.

this post makes no sense

The battle system is the best part of the whole game but you wanna use a trainer to get through it even though you enjoy it. Wtf?

Just watch a video of the ending if you can't even bother beating the game legitimately. lol

Deitus

Just arguing from a pure mechanical basis, Borderlands is a mediocre franchise. The shooting is boring, the RPG mechanics shallow, the enemies and quest designs are copy/paste, and the gameplay is made tedious due to the bulletsponge nature of the constantly repeated enemy types.

It's perfectly fine that you don't like the games, and you are free to discuss your issues with the game design. It's pretty disingenuous to claim that your opinions on the design of one game are irrefutable, while at the same time claiming other posters opinions on games to be not worthy to be shared. Either everyone can share their opinions, or no one can.

Granted, unpopular opinions will be argued against, but disagreeing with someone is completely different then telling them not to share their opinion.

Where people find the game fun is the constant stimulation and endorphin rush of picking up loot and easily completing objectives while playing with friends.

I can easily see how the mainstream can find the game serviceable and fun, but it's not a great game from a variety of standpoints.

This, however reeks of elitism. It's so inconceivable to you that someone might like a game that you dislike, that you have to psychoanalyze them to justify that they don't actually like the game, and they are just too dumb to realize that the game isn't good.

this post makes no sense

The battle system is the best part of the whole game but you wanna use a trainer to get through it even though you enjoy it. Wtf?

Just watch a video of the ending if you can't even bother beating the game legitimately. lol

Hmm, how should I say it?
Normal battles = not fun
Boss battles = fun

Miguel81

The startup time actually doesn't get better on an SSD. Well, it may be improved from standard hard drives, but it is still relatively terrible.

That doesn't sound too good, but I'll appreciate any time saved. From boot to loading the campaign is dreadfully long.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is a fun bug:

I fast-travelled to the DLC area and now the world is blanketed with a greyscale filter that is eliminated only by local light sources.

Edit: Aw, it fixed itself as soon as I went underground.

This is a fun bug:

I fast-travelled to the DLC area and now the world is blanketed with a greyscale filter that is eliminated only by local light sources.

The Saboteur 2 mods?

But really that seems like a neat bug. Wish it was some kinda unlockable.

fantomena

I personally found the first Borderlands to be very boring, the second to be amazing and the third to be mediocre.

Rage was fantastic however, I heavily enjoyed it except for the ending.

Caerith

Hmm, how should I say it?
Normal battles = not fun
Boss battles = fun

Oh, when you're just fighting a lot of soldiers? Yeah, they can be a bit tedious. At least there aren't any random encounters, but that's not much consolation when you've got a hallway full of annoying enemies ahead of you.

Milamber

This is a fun bug:

The oddly twisted leg is much more noticeable.

autoduelist

You've got two "graphics cards" in your laptop. The Intel HD series is the integrated chip, ang you have your dedicated Nvidia chip. In your system tray, there's an Intel(R) HD Graphics icon and an NVIDIA GPU icon, poth have right-click options that lead to control panels. First: I would go to the Nvidia control panel-> manage 3D settings-> here you can force games(and other applications) to use your dedicated nvidia chip. Some games are good about this and wont need it, some aren't. Next, I would go to the Intel Graphics Properties and finagle with the scaling options.

Switchable graphics = the laptop is primarily Intel graphics, and switches to the Nvidia GPU when necessary. Sometimes it won't switch correctly and you need to set profiles in the Nvidia Control Panel.

I'm guessing your Intel graphics drivers are out of date. It's a pain to update them the first time, but every subsequent driver update should be smooth.
Create a restore point.
Uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and reboot.
Uninstall the Intel graphics drivers and reboot.
Install the latest Intel graphics drivers and reboot.
Install the latest NVIDIA drivers and reboot.
Try playing some games again.

The bottom one (reinstalling everything) seems to have fixed Sang Froid.

The only other game I tested so far was Robowars... oddly, it works for the load screen, and in game, but the 'mission selection screen' is still only in the bottom right quadrant... BUT the 'menu bar' is properly placed on the top left (odd, right?). But...once i pick a mission the game seems fine.

Text is still way too small in robowars, though I have scaling set to 200% (i think in the right place) nothing seems affected. Again will test more.

Don't have time to test more right now, it's late. Thanks to both of you, perhaps this will get everything working.

fantomena

Buy another Xbox One/DualShock 4 controller or wait for Steam controller? Does the Steam controller release in Europe in october?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Saboteur 2 mods?

But really that seems like a neat bug. Wish it was some kinda unlockable.

Yeah, it reminded me of the colour filters you can unlock in the Uncharted games (although they're all or nothing).

I think if you preorder it, you can get it in october.

I still wonder if I can use a US VPN to preorder it.

It's possible to buy one as a gift, but you can't have it shipped to an address that Valve's not currently shipping it to. October pre-order stock dried up a week or so ago, though.

Yeah, it reminded me of the colour filters you can unlock in the Uncharted games (although they're all or nothing).

It's possible to buy one as a gift, but you can't have it shipped to an address that Valve's not currently shipping it to. October pre-order stock dried up a week or so ago, though.

Its shipping to Germany, but I cant even buy it in China. That is why I am asking.

Hektor

Borderlands works as a co op experience, going solo is boring.

I have to agree with that.

I also have to agree with grief.exe saying the shooting is boring. The giant bulletsponges that the enemys are really hindered my personal enjoyment.

Hey guys, what are some great games to play with a group of friends? We were thinking of Ark, but we need more options. :V

Killing floor 2 is fun.

Arthea

Isn't that awfully early for indiegala Monday bundle to end? I thought about posting a link for more people to get that great bundle while is still time... and it's no longer there.

ViviOggi

There's also barely any hit reaction on Blunderlands enemies. Weapon variety is trash even in the improved sequel, it's a loot game so I'd rather have half a gorillion guns with more distinct varieties than standard FPS weapons + elemental damage. Skill trees are an utter joke, passives up the ass and on top of that they're incredibly redundant for the most part with marginal % increases on unexciting upgrades. Don't even get me started on that console UI, what a mess for KB+M players

Hey guys, what are some great games to play with a group of friends? We were thinking of Ark, but we need more options. :V
Ultra SFIV

Deques

Isn't that awfully early for indiegala Monday bundle to end? I thought about posting a link for more people to get that great bundle while is still time... and it's no longer there.

Just IndieGala being IndieGala :)

Edit:

In Clicker Heroes, how does rerolling new Ancients really work? When I reload my game and reroll I always get the same ancients as last time, shouldn't it be random?

Speedrunners.

I completely forgot about that game.

Killing floor 2 is fun.

I actually have that on my wishlist. :V

Ultra SFIV

The group that I play with don't really like SFIV. Lol

They're into 3S. Except for one. Who doesn't like SF at all.

There are lots of good mp games, but it would help to narrow down to know what sort of mp games you and your friends enjoy the most.

I enjoy anything really. They do as well, as long we can play together and have fun.

- Left 4 Dead/2
- ARK: Survival Evolved
- Castle Crashers

Any good horror games that are multiplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom